Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Continental Club Rugby League

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Continental Club Rugby League

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 16 Apr 2020, 17:41

victorsra wrote:Now there is a talk of having 24 teams in the next Champions Cup (8 groups of 3). The maths in EPCR are confusing now.

So, a third of the teams will have bys. Unless, cross pool format. 6 pool games each. It must be that.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Unread postby Duke of Earl » Fri, 17 Apr 2020, 02:30

As long as they choose to expand the Challenge Cup to 24 teams as well.

Taking both the European Challenge Cup and Champions Cup competions together , this would be 48 teams participating with only 38 teams eligible from the Premiership , Top 14 and Pro14 (SA teams not eligible) , this leaves 10 spaces which could be filled by participants from other countries across Europe.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 17 Apr 2020, 03:36

victorsra wrote:Now there is a talk of having 24 teams in the next Champions Cup (8 groups of 3). The maths in EPCR are confusing now.

Or 4 groups of 6. If they're going to go down this path then why not just go the whole hog and have 36 teams. For 8 x 4 pools or my preference make it sudden death. So everyone bar the bottom two Top14 teams start with the winners progressing until the final. That's only five weeks total and would put a lot more emphasis on each of the leagues.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Sun, 19 Apr 2020, 03:50

I guess they want less matches and not more. This is a measure to help with post-COVID calendar...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 19 Apr 2020, 06:43

victorsra wrote:I guess they want less matches and not more. This is a measure to help with post-COVID calendar...

Then my idea of a 36 team sudden death would be the best solution. Plus, it would add more occasion to games with them being do or die.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Sun, 19 Apr 2020, 14:03

Top 14 + Premiership + PRO14 (without SA) = 38 teams... There wouldn't be the fight for the spots jn the leagues.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Unread postby Stefan Petrescu » Mon, 20 Apr 2020, 19:10

Here is the English Wikipedia page for the Continental Club Rugby League:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Club_Rugby_League

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Unread postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 29 Apr 2020, 09:37

Armchair Fan wrote:Basically because the word in the street is that VRAC renounced after being invited. But don't expect a public announcement on it.

VRAC confirms it was invited to Challenge Cup and declined:
https://vracrugby.com/el-vrac-renuncia- ... sabilidad/

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 29 Apr 2020, 10:12

The two other teams will probably be Italian teams then. I can't think of any other teams they might be.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Unread postby amz » Wed, 29 Apr 2020, 10:15

:)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Unread postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 29 Apr 2020, 13:17

Thinking about new Arcul de Triumf?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 29 Apr 2020, 14:42

Armchair Fan wrote:Thinking about new Arcul de Triumf?

For 2021 season that will be ready for a Bucharesti Wolves team. But 2020/2021 season is too soon. Having said that, all games next season could be played behind closed doors, so maybe it isn't too soon at all.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Unread postby amz » Wed, 29 Apr 2020, 15:18

Too soon? Why? The stadium is 70% made and probably will be ready in August 2020.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 29 Apr 2020, 16:21

amz wrote:Too soon? Why? The stadium is 70% made and probably will be ready in August 2020.

English Wikipedia says April 2021. That was my source.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadion ... _de_Triumf

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Unread postby amz » Thu, 30 Apr 2020, 07:09

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
amz wrote:Too soon? Why? The stadium is 70% made and probably will be ready in August 2020.

Oh I see, but that is wrong, the opening of the stadium was never planned for 2021.

Maybe the wiki article consider the entire investment which was set to be finalized in 2021 and beside the stadium includes various other facilities (hotel, probably the last to be delivered, conference rooms, recover center with sauna, swimming pool etc, pub, underground parking lots etc.)

The stadium alone was always scheduled to be delivered mid 2020.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 30 Apr 2020, 08:40

amz wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:

Oh I see, but that is wrong, the opening of the stadium was never planned for 2021.

Maybe the wiki article consider the entire investment which was set to be finalized in 2021 and beside the stadium includes various other facilities (hotel, probably the last to be delivered, conference rooms, recover center with sauna, swimming pool etc, pub, underground parking lots etc.)

The stadium alone was always scheduled to be delivered mid 2020.

Then I would love to see Bucharesti Wolves playing in the European Challenge Cup.
Of course it is disappointing to lose Gloria Buzau from the Superliga, but I am feeling very positive about the future of rugby in Romania. As long as no more teams drop out, six professional teams is enough for a league, and is a good number of professional teams for a country to have (the same as South Africa).
With a team in the European Challenge Cup, and 3 or 4 teams in the Kontinental Club Rugby League, there is a really good professional structure to support a strong national team.
I also think that Romanians should be reminded that although they might love football, ice hockey, handball and volleyball, the only team sport in which they regularly have a team in the World Cup / World Championship is rugby, so for international sports rugby should be their national sport.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 30 Apr 2020, 10:28

Chester-Donnelly wrote: six professional teams is enough for a league, and is a good number of professional teams for a country to have (the same as South Africa)

This comparison is way off. South Africa has way more teams at a competitive level and a lot more of semi-pro-sides around the country. In Romania most competitive youth players go to those teams or stop playing.

It is like saying Romania is better off as they have 6 more pro-teams than Argentina. Rugby is not a mass sport in Romania. It is nearly a pro-only-sport with a relatively low number of players in their adults outside of the pro teams (less registered players than Germany). It is still better than in most countries, but comparing it to SA is simply wrong.

@AMZ can you tell us more of the structure of rugby in Romania. I understood that there are some beer-teams, but not a lot and not really a "sunday-league" for players who play just for fun.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Thu, 30 Apr 2020, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Unread postby amz » Thu, 30 Apr 2020, 11:41

Super Liga - 6 teams now, pro, some semi-pro players
Divizia National de Seniori - DNS (National Seniors Division) with 2 series (12 teams), East and West -> play-off / finals - amateur/semi pro
both play Romanian Cup
SL also played King's Cup during WR international windows

few other senior clubs which didn't wanted to join DNS but some are looking into it (e.g Sportul Studentesc)

rest is U19 etc. and beer clubs ( was a 10s beer league some years ago, may be will be re-made in few years).

Next season will be re-hauled:
- there are talks for other teams looking to join SL (Stiinta Petrosani especially)
- we may see a third division which was suspended two years ago with teams that didn't want to go up in DNS.

Personally, if SL stays with 6 teams, I'd look to make two round robins, now are 10 matches, I'd make 20 and play off and a small tournament for last 2 + top teams from DNS

Unread postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Thu, 30 Apr 2020, 13:06

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 30 Apr 2020, 18:02

Rugby Liebe, the comparison is relevant. South Africa could have more teams, they could have less, but they have decided on 6, with 4 at the highest level in Super Rugby, and 2 more in Pro 14. This approach works. There are 4 players competing for every Springbok shirt. Meanwhile there are two more guys competing for every Super Rugby shirt. The same goes for coaches.
Now, you can't really have a league with only 5 teams, because there can only be two games each weekend, and there's always one team on a bye. You can argue for more teams but only England and France have more than 6 top level professional clubs. The important thing is to identify and develop those boys with the most potential. You don't need a huge number of talentless players. A few hundred professional talented players with top class coaches is what you need to supply the national team with players. The DNS also has a role to play. Some players' talent will not be identified at school boy level. Some people grow late. Players who can stand out in the DNS can get a chance to play for one of bottom Superliga clubs, whilst the top 4 Superliga clubs, Stiinta Baia Mare Steaua Bucuresti, Dinamo Bucuresti, and Timisoara will provide most of the players for the Oaks. They will also play at a higher level in the Kontinental Club Rugby League and compete for places in the Bucuresti Wolves in the Challenge Cup.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Unread postby amz » Fri, 01 May 2020, 07:45

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:Romania - Divizia Nationala

http://www.rugbyarchive.net/compseasons ... ne=2019-20

:::

my bad, that's correct FR, I forgot they changed recently the format to one division.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Wed, 13 May 2020, 22:25

an expansion of the Heineken Champions Cup could produce the expansion of the Challenge Cup as well... maybe?

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/champion ... tory.shtml

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Unread postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 13 May 2020, 22:33

Not next season at least. Why complicate an already complex context? It will be already hard as hell to secure travelling within four countries.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Thu, 14 May 2020, 01:08

Oh, the article says they proposed a 14 clubs Challenge Cup

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 14 May 2020, 09:23

No places for tier 2 teams then, but none of them seem very keen to be fair.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum