Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2020s Wish List

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

2020s Wish List

Postby Edgar » Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 20:58

1 2023 World Cup - Les Bleus triumph, gli Azzurri make 1/4s, Welwitschias win a game, Spain qualifies - scores a try!

2 2027 & 2031 World Cups awarded to SA & USA, respectively (announcement due 2021).

3 2027 World Cup - expansion to 24, Brazil, Kenya & a 2nd Asian team qualify. SA v NZ finale to determine first 4-time winner.

4 Samoa to reach 2020 Olympics, Chinese women to win a medal

5 Les Bleus to win a 6 Nations title or three. Gli Azzurri to finish in the top half of the table and win a title by end of decade.

6 Super Rugby to add a Pacific Island franchise. Canes build a dynasty. Move over, Saders!
World Club championship vs Euro winner

7 Rapid Rugby to prosper and expand, drawing in teams from NZ, Japan, China & South Asia, and perhaps a Hawaiian-based franchise.

8 MLR to prosper and expand, moving to bigger stadiums and prime-time TV. Move over, NFL!

9 SLAR to prosper and expand, at least double the number of teams - including Porto Alegre!

10 More 3rd tier African players pick up pro contracts in Europe, perhaps filling the void if Pacific Islanders flock to GRR and the new Japanese pro league.

11 Tier 1 nations to include tests against 2nd and 3rd tier nations on tours. ie Namibia en route to SA, Uruguay en route to Argentina, Georgia en route to 6 Nations, Pacific Islands en route to/in NZ & Aussie.

12 6 Nations to merge with ENC with inclusion of promo-relegation fixture. Pacific Islands to merge with Asian Top 3 (including Japan).
Last edited by Edgar on Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2020s Wish List

Postby victorsra » Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:32

At the moment, just hope SLAR doesn't bankrupt Brazilian rugby and don't fold. Two strong possibilities, BTW, unfortunately. And obviously that, if it is succesful, I hope there is another team to be supported in São Paulo area, because Corinthians leaves more than half of São Paulo's market without a team to support. And it concentrates almost 50% of Brazilian rugby market. Big mess.

BTW, I heard from Corinthians supporters (rugby people) they feel about the choice, because it will hurt more than benefit local rugby.... indeed. I wish we survive.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Fri, 13 Dec 2019, 21:50

victorsra wrote:At the moment, just hope SLAR doesn't bankrupt Brazilian rugby and don't fold. Two strong possibilities, BTW, unfortunately. And obviously that, if it is succesful, I hope there is another team to be supported in São Paulo area, because Corinthians leaves more than half of São Paulo's market without a team to support. And it concentrates almost 50% of Brazilian rugby market. Big mess.

BTW, I heard from Corinthians supporters (rugby people) they feel about the choice, because it will hurt more than benefit local rugby.... indeed. I wish we survive.

Colombians barely able to contain their excitement anyway, even though they'll only be playing the 5th team in a friendly next year, apparently.

https://h13n.com/colombia-incluida-en-l ... Lk0L022bRw

I guess with SLAR we'll have professional rugby on every continent by next year. Japan already has a league, Sri Lanka's is at least semi pro (lots of Fijians) and we ought to be able to add GRR, drawing in Hong Kong, Malaysia and likely Shanghai.

South Africa is involved in Super Rugby, of course. I'm not sure how professional Currie Cup is but there doesn't seem to be much prospect of anything else arising on the continent in the foreseeable future. Still, if it's going to start somewhere, SA is certainly the obvious candidate.

Madagascar might be the next best bet, with vast player stocks, multitudinous clubs and huge crowds filling the stadiums - at least for international fixtures. The economy is weak and they're unlikely to attract any foreigners, but surely they could begin to pay their own players - if they aren't already. Apparently there are 164 clubs in the capital alone. How easy would it be to create 8 franchises out of that lot and run a super league?

Deja vu - France 2023:

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/france2023/video/531438

How's this for a feel good story:

https://www.springboks.rugby/articles/2 ... 19WuF9S-_A

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 13 Dec 2019, 22:24

Currie Cup is professional and an option of a league that could host other African nations. The problem are obviously markets and costs.

Madagascar is extremely poor. If they could finance it better I believe they would have done that.

It is realy questionable how sustainable is this move from Colombia. Although they seem to have domestic junior rugby going well, but their national team is not yet playing strong competitions. And their senior national is yet to impact in a better level. Which means professionalism right now is a risky move as they have only played short and low level competitions.

Rugby's professionalism in new countries could simply start with better organized and longer national teams competitions.

We are witnessing very risky decisions all over the world. With adverisement changing and in a world full of entertainment options, create artificial leagues in immature markets is realy problematic.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Sat, 14 Dec 2019, 13:42

The 6N to become a Euros type bi-annual tournament.

2 new winners of RWC, 2 new semi-finalists, 4 new quarter finalists, more competitive games between T1 and T2.

On the club side - it irks me to hear the the 2 'European' cups being termed 'European' when it's really just the same 6N cartel countries. So, I would like to see a genuine expansion of the club game to build 2-3 competitive clubs in counties like Spain, Germany, Romania, Georgia, Russia, Poland so that we can have a genuine European brand.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sat, 14 Dec 2019, 14:57

victorsra wrote:Currie Cup is professional and an option of a league that could host other African nations. The problem are obviously markets and costs.

Madagascar is extremely poor. If they could finance it better I believe they would have done that.

It is realy questionable how sustainable is this move from Colombia. Although they seem to have domestic junior rugby going well, but their national team is not yet playing strong competitions. And their senior national is yet to impact in a better level. Which means professionalism right now is a risky move as they have only played short and low level competitions.

Rugby's professionalism in new countries could simply start with better organized and longer national teams competitions.

We are witnessing very risky decisions all over the world. With adverisement changing and in a world full of entertainment options, create artificial leagues in immature markets is realy problematic.

SLAR does seem like a case of running before walking. Colombia, especially, is not only a minnow on the international rugby landscape but thousands of kilometers from all of its rivals. That's won't be such a problem in 2020, of course, but fully integrating them into the league - which will apparently expand in 2021 - is going to be quite a challenge. I wouldn't be surprised to see it fall flat on its face, just as America's first attempt at pro rugby did. But I guess that's all part of the evolutionary process. Perhaps the next attempt could be based more closely around the River Plate region - with increased involvement from the continent's only first tier rugby nation, Argentina.

jservuk wrote:

The 6N to become a Euros type bi-annual tournament.

2 new winners of RWC, 2 new semi-finalists, 4 new quarter finalists, more competitive games between T1 and T2.

Yes, I tried to keep my wishes reasonably realistic, but I'd also like to see the 6 Nations replaced by a more inclusive Euros type competition. Still, I've noted before that European rugby is only one step away from creating an annual championships that would include practically every single nation on the continent. All they need to do is add that promo-relegation fixture to link the 6 Nations and ENC. The hard work has already been done.

Ditto a World Club Championship between the Super Rugby & Europe champs. Perhaps in a few years they could expand to 4 and include the GRR champ and the winner of a playoff between the MLR & SLAR titleholders. :thumbup: :D

A new winner in 2027 would be nice indeed. Argentina or France would be the obvious candidates. I've gone for the latter in their home stade in 2023, so los Pumas in 2027 would be fantastic. Certainly not implausible given Argentina's overall trajectory the past few decades, but if it's going to be one of the usual suspects an SA v NZ finale would be a veritable clash for the ages.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 14 Dec 2019, 15:41

Edgar wrote:
victorsra wrote:SLAR does seem like a case of running before walking. Colombia, especially, is not only a minnow on the international rugby landscape but thousands of kilometers from all of its rivals. That's won't be such a problem in 2020, of course, but fully integrating them into the league - which will apparently expand in 2021 - is going to be quite a challenge. I wouldn't be surprised to see it fall flat on its face, just as America's first attempt at pro rugby did. But I guess that's all part of the evolutionary process. Perhaps the next attempt could be based more closely around the River Plate region - with increased involvement from the continent's only first tier rugby nation, Argentina.

It all depends on how much Argentina embraces it. If there is a run of Argentine provinces wanting franchises, it will be alive. It can't depend on Brazil or Chile. That's for sure.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 11:54

Perhaps by the end of the coming decade practically every nation on earth will have rugby up and running, or at least competed in international 7s, whether it be of the men's women's, seniors or age-grade variety. The inclusion of Jamaica and PNG in World Rugby's Challenger series is very exciting as both have enormous potential in the abbreviated code. Hopefully we'll see Cuba more actively involved as well, while Mexico is progressing nicely in XVs and this year recorded a stunning win over Paraguay. Los Serpientes can't be too far away from their first test against either Canada or the US. It has been suggested Mexico may also be the venue for a proposed MLR v SLAR winners clash. Maybe by the end of the coming decade we'll see a franchise based in Mexico City. Meanwhile, Bangladesh must be close to playing their first test match, as they are very active in 7s already. Ethiopia, Vietnam, Myanmar, Nepal and Mozambique should have joined the fold by the end of the 2020s too. West Africa seems to be on the rise with increased international tournaments at both XVs and 7s levels. The continent's most populous nation, Nigeria (200 million) has shown real promise this season upon its return to international action, defeating Ghana (another up-and-comer) and losing by a solitary point to 1995 World Cup qualifiers Ivory Coast. In Europe, I'm expecting Russia to be the big movers in the 2020s, placing them in a good position to bid for World Cup host status in the 2030s or 40s. By that time they and the US should be banging on the door of first tier status & that's not so far away now.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 18 Dec 2019, 14:12

victorsra wrote:It is realy questionable how sustainable is this move from Colombia. Although they seem to have domestic junior rugby going well, but their national team is not yet playing strong competitions. And their senior national is yet to impact in a better level. Which means professionalism right now is a risky move as they have only played short and low level competitions.

I agree, it could really fall flat once they actually join. But if Paraguay can do it then so can Colombia. As was stated in a post by FCR, they do not want to fall behind all of the other countries in South America. They’ve had a great past 2-3 years of expansion and growth and to see the other countries take a huge leap forward would be disheartening.

Rugby is very new to this country (<500 players in the early 90s) and many people don’t know about the sport. But I have seen, at least in Barranquilla, that they are intrigued by the idea of it (rather than not caring at all as I’ve experienced many times in the US). The players are very passionate and surprisingly inclusive of the women’s teams which is encouraging to see in a place that doesn’t really value women’s sports.

While I very much want there to be a pro Colombian team that I can watch in this league, I often feel like it would be much more sustainable to focus on the long term and improve domestic club competitions before stretching too thin. The Copa Colombia was a good first start to create a High Performance program that includes the entire country (it included a few Antioquia clubs and selects sides from different regions) but this should be expanded upon and the national club tournament should be strengthened outside of the top 2 clubs in Medellin/Bogota.

Here’s a post I found for the Concentración for the Copa Colombia here in Barranquilla:

https://facebook.com/events/s/concentra ... 24/?ti=icl

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 17:17

Those are my wishes. Now, for my predictions :thumbup: :twisted:

1 2023 World Cup - Les Bleus triumph, gli Azzurri make 1/4s, Welwitschias win a game, Spain qualifies - scores a try!
All Blacks get the cup back, Azzurri still don't make the 1/4s, Welwitschias DO win a game, Spain DOES qualify and score a try :D

2 2027 & 2031 World Cups awarded to SA & USA, respectively (announcement due 2021).
2027 goes to Australia, SA manages to miss out again (perhaps doesn't bid), USA DOES get 2031. Yeehah! :D

3 2027 World Cup - expansion to 24, Brazil, Kenya & a 2nd Asian team qualify. SA v NZ finale to determine first 4-time winner.
All of the above, and Boks to win it. But World Rugby to come up with some annoying format for 24 teams :evil:

4 Samoa to reach 2020 Olympics, Chinese women to win a medal
Samoa to narrowly miss out again, probably to Ireland. Chinese women get bronze :D

5 Les Bleus to win a 6 Nations title or three. Gli Azzurri to finish in the top half of the table and win a title by end of decade.
French Renaissance happens, Gli Azzurri break into the top half of the table - but DON'T get close to winning a title :oops:

6 Super Rugby to add a Pacific Island franchise. Canes build a dynasty. Move over, Saders! World Club championship vs Euro winner
Islands remain on the outer, Canes set for a lean period, but an official World Club champs DOES get off the ground :D

7 Rapid Rugby to prosper and expand, drawing in teams from NZ, Japan, China & South Asia, and perhaps a Hawaiian-based franchise.
Rapid Rugby to fold after a few seasons :evil:

8 MLR to prosper and expand, moving to bigger stadiums and prime-time TV. Move over, NFL!
All of the above, except the bit about the NFL ;)

9 SLAR to prosper and expand, at least double the number of teams - including Porto Alegre!
Tough to call, but my hunch is it doesn't work out and they set up a new league in the River Plate region with Argentina in the driver's seat :roll:

10 More 3rd tier African players pick up pro contracts in Europe, perhaps filling the void if Pacific Islanders flock to GRR and the new Japanese pro league.
Should happen, except the part about the GRR, which I've already tipped for a short lifespan :cry:

11 Tier 1 nations to include tests against 2nd and 3rd tier nations on tours. ie Namibia en route to SA, Uruguay en route to Argentina, Georgia en route to 6 Nations, Pacific Islands en route to/in NZ & Aussie.
Nah, they don't care, and World Rugby won't make them. Tier 1 vs Tier 1 ad infinitum set to continue :evil:

12 6 Nations to merge with ENC with inclusion of promo-relegation fixture. Pacific Islands to merge with Asian Top 3 (including Japan).
Neither of the above. Something WILL happen eventually, but it took the 6 Nations 90 years to expand from 5, so a decade is much to soon :roll:

Return to Rugby Forum