Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Six Nations 2020

User avatar
Posts: 5250
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Six Nations 2020

Postby Canalina » Sun, 05 Jan 2020, 21:39

Sorry if there was already a thread; I haven't seen any

Two questions about minor aspects:
- do we know the list of women's and U20 broadcasters?
(the men's broadcasters are here https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/tv/)

- do we know the list of U20 tournament's referees?

User avatar
Posts: 2053
Joined: Thu, 26 Jun 2014, 05:56
Location: Zemo Vera, Tbilissi, GEORGIA

Re: Six Nations 2020

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Mon, 06 Jan 2020, 18:48

Nika Amashukeli GEO once again officiates at U20

User avatar
Posts: 5250
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Six Nations 2020

Postby Canalina » Wed, 05 Feb 2020, 19:16

In our italian forum there are complaints about some decisions by the Wales v Italy referee. I usually don't like to talk about the referees and I don't think there's malice in these episodes, but the first two of them are quite gross mistakes. You can't fight for a centimeter in the middle of the field and then see the referee missing the exact infringement's point by five meters

[quote=diddi post_id=924291 time=1580908819 user_id=14446]
Image
The place where Halfpenny makes a knock-on.

Image
The place of the consequent scrum

- - - -

Image
The place where the ball kicked by Halfpenny bounces, after that Halfpenny is obstructed by Lovotti

Image
This the place marked by the referee for the welsh kick to the posts

- - - -

Image
So a rolling maul has been stopped

- - - -

Image
Who is pushing straight and who not? The referee whistles in favor of Wales
[/quote]

Posts: 42
Joined: Wed, 21 Oct 2015, 11:13
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Six Nations 2020

Postby Her Man » Thu, 06 Feb 2020, 15:05

@Canalina

Luke Pearce is absolutely worst referee among them all; his neurotic, irregular, uncertain style can turn best game (i.e. WC) into chaos. And the boyish 'who's the boss here?' attitude makes me sick always.

User avatar
Posts: 5250
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Six Nations 2020

Postby Canalina » Thu, 06 Feb 2020, 16:44

To say the truth I hate to talk about the referees, because I know that no one of us is able to be perfectly impartial and that we tend to see mostly (or only) the mistakes, or supposed mistakes, versus our team. But in the first two of these cases there's no room for interpretation: he missed the exact point by five meters and it's a bit too much

Posts: 42
Joined: Wed, 21 Oct 2015, 11:13
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Six Nations 2020

Postby Her Man » Thu, 06 Feb 2020, 17:42

I got your point, it's a standard - and I am eager to forgive a lot. But as there is no room for interpretation of the cases you brought, there is no room for L.P. among good - though mistakeable - referees; he is far away, way too far from standards, so to speak.

Posts: 369
Joined: Sun, 21 May 2017, 09:02
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Six Nations 2020

Postby rey200 » Sun, 09 Feb 2020, 17:01

I've now seen both Italian matches... they concede tries too easily. Today they finally scored and the score reflects the game. Against Wales the ref did everything to help the home side, but also Italy made tons of errors... I didn't think they were that much worse than Wales. Hope they'll get a scalp at home this time.

edit: they got booed at the end, because they could've tried to get a bonus point, but preffered to kick it into touch...
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

Posts: 356
Joined: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:12
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Six Nations 2020

Postby vino_93 » Sun, 09 Feb 2020, 18:16

rey200 wrote:I've now seen both Italian matches... they concede tries too easily. Today they finally scored and the score reflects the game. Against Wales the ref did everything to help the home side, but also Italy made tons of errors... I didn't think they were that much worse than Wales. Hope they'll get a scalp at home this time.

edit: they got booed at the end, because they could've tried to get a bonus point, but preffered to kick it into touch...

They played quickly the transformation for playing the try then... But Canna kicked in touch. Where was the logic to do that ? :lol:

Posts: 369
Joined: Sun, 21 May 2017, 09:02
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Six Nations 2020

Postby rey200 » Sun, 09 Feb 2020, 19:09

I don't know. It was totally unnecessary, because they had nothing to lose...
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

Posts: 3209
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Six Nations 2020

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 10 Feb 2020, 07:53

Wondered about that as well. I mean, there was not one but two points to gain, if they had scored a try. Maybe he had the score wrong and thought they were 15 points behind...
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 597
Joined: Mon, 12 May 2014, 21:05
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Six Nations 2020

Postby dropkick » Tue, 11 Feb 2020, 07:55

Canalina wrote:In our italian forum there are complaints about some decisions by the Wales v Italy referee. I usually don't like to talk about the referees and I don't think there's malice in these episodes, but the first two of them are quite gross mistakes. You can't fight for a centimeter in the middle of the field and then see the referee missing the exact infringement's point by five meters

[quote=diddi post_id=924291 time=1580908819 user_id=14446]
Image
The place where Halfpenny makes a knock-on.

Image
The place of the consequent scrum

- - - -

Image
The place where the ball kicked by Halfpenny bounces, after that Halfpenny is obstructed by Lovotti

Image
This the place marked by the referee for the welsh kick to the posts

- - - -

Image
So a rolling maul has been stopped

- - - -

Image
Who is pushing straight and who not? The referee whistles in favor of Wales



Who is Wales v Italy referee Luke Pearce, the Welshman in charge of Six Nations clash?
The man in charge of the Six Nations opener is becoming one of the most well known officials in the game

He's the Welshman now wearing the white of England blowing the whistle on the start of the 2020 Six Nations Championship at the Principality Stadium this weekend.

Luke Pearce hails from arguably the most famous rugby town in world rugby, skippered the Welsh Exiles Under-16s team and idolised Neil Jenkins when growing up.

Having missed out on his dream of playing at the Principality Stadium, Pontypool-born Luke Pearce achieved the next best thing when refereeing Wales' historic 2018 win over the Springboks, in Cardiff.

He ran the line as Warren Gatland's side completed stage four of their 2019 Six Nations Grand Slam with a 18-11 victory over Scotland at Murrayfield.

After refereeing Wales' opening Rugby World Cup game with Georgia in Japan in the autumn, he will again be elevated from the wings to centre stage in Cardiff on Saturday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.waleso ... 656744.amp

Posts: 3209
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Six Nations 2020

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 11 Feb 2020, 08:05

dropkick wrote:Who is Wales v Italy referee Luke Pearce, the Welshman in charge of Six Nations clash?


I mean it is utterly ridiculous but apparently necessary with the low number of nations playing on that level, that a lot of refs from the same country (=GB) have games with the involvement of compatriotes in their mother's tongue against non-english-speakers, but that's a step too far. I didn't know it.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

User avatar
Posts: 5250
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Six Nations 2020

Postby Canalina » Tue, 11 Feb 2020, 08:09

He is considered an englishman, despite being born in Wales.

Anyway he had a balanced game considering that he was blamed both by (some) italian fans and by the welsh staff...

To give credits to the italian fans, I published those frames above also in our facebook page and just one third (more or less) of the commentators criticized the referee, while all the rest of the commentators criticized me: "don't publish this crap!", "this is not soccer!", "stop affecting the moral level of rugby!", said the comments. I felt quite guilty...

User avatar
Posts: 2053
Joined: Thu, 26 Jun 2014, 05:56
Location: Zemo Vera, Tbilissi, GEORGIA

Re: Six Nations 2020

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 11 Feb 2020, 08:44

what about JP Doyle then?

raised in Dublin, but employed by England these days
and reffing IRE-GEO in Dublin in autumn 2014

http://stats.espnscrum.com/statsguru/ru ... 08367.html

:::

Online
Posts: 2183
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Six Nations 2020

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 11 Feb 2020, 11:56

Andrew Brace is a Welsh referee who played for Belguim and now "represents" Ireland because he moved to south-west Ireland for work in his late twenties/early thirties!

At least Luke Pearce moved to England as a small child (his father was a touch judge in the Premiership too I think)!

Wayne Barnes went to school in Wales (Monmouth College) because he came from a town on the border.

Posts: 597
Joined: Mon, 12 May 2014, 21:05
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Six Nations 2020

Postby dropkick » Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 15:19

sk 88 wrote:Andrew Brace is a Welsh referee who played for Belguim and now "represents" Ireland because he moved to south-west Ireland for work in his late twenties/early thirties!

At least Luke Pearce moved to England as a small child (his father was a touch judge in the Premiership too I think)!

Wayne Barnes went to school in Wales (Monmouth College) because he came from a town on the border.



Barnes was involved in a lot of controversy in Wales Ireland matches a few years back. Nearly all the big, late decisions went with Wales. Then the next year he would be somehow reffing the same fixture again.


There was controversy when half French, Alain Rolland, sent Sam Warburton off in the 2011 world cup semi final. He shouldn't have got the match even if the decision was correct.

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Armchair Fan, GeoRugby, sammo, sk 88 and 11 guests