Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Your Introduction to Rugby and Earliest Memories

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Your Introduction to Rugby and Earliest Memories

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 19 Mar 2020, 13:23

Jonah Lomu Rugby was a game that also helped me get into the sport. I got my first PC computer in 1998 and one of the first games I remember getting was Jonah Lomu Rugby. Still to this day one of the most enjoyable rugby games ever made. I remember racking up a 226-0 win over either Sri Lanka or Malaysia playing as New Zealand, lol. It's shocking to me there have been so few rugby games to be as good as that game 20 years later.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Tue, 24 Mar 2020, 22:16

Edgar wrote:I played rugby in my first year at school but I didn't take to it at all, preferring the round ball game, at which I excelled in childhood. It was the dramatic 1981 Springbok tour of New Zealand which really piqued my interest in the national sport, and the following year I attended my first test - vs Australia at Athletic Park. A young Campese left the All Blacks clutching at thin air that afternoon but we didn't mind too much because NZ had won the first test and would likely take out the third, as had been the case against SA. Later that same year NZ played at their first FIFA World Cup with local hero Wynton Rufer, still in his teens, top-scoring in qualifying. So I remained torn between the two codes as a kid but eventually played my first season of rugby at Wests in 1986, without much success. The following year I was in Sydney and played league in the Cronulla-Sutherland Shire, doing much better, but upon returning to New Zealand I fell in with my old mates at Wests again. They had been relegated to third division during my absence and really were an awful side.

I used to hang around down at the NZRFU HQ in the old Huddart Parker building during my youth and even got to serve as barman during one pre-test match function, meeting all the rugby high brass from both sides of the Tasman, along with the All Blacks' wives and partners. I remember Bob Templeton giving me a big sweaty handshake as we stood about ruminating over the Korean's recent victory over Japan. Then we all jumped aboard coaches and headed for the stadium together. Great times! My career as a journalist happened to coincide with the advent of Super Rugby and I got to cover a few games personally, though a particular highlight was hanging out with Bull Allen, Christian Cullen and Tana Umaga at a fairly boring awards gala one evening. I came away with about five stories from each of them! Another time I got to interview Zinzan Brooke, who was on a book promotion tour. Real character and really gave me the low-down! I still do a little freelancing from time to time.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby eal22 » Wed, 25 Mar 2020, 00:18

My earliest memories are from the 1991 RWC when I was six, the Ireland v Australia QF to be precise.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby erginclass » Sat, 28 Mar 2020, 18:46

My earliest memory was from the 2006 Top 14 season. Because I saw highlights of Top 14 on TV5 Monde.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sun, 29 Mar 2020, 19:05

My Dad was taken to Leicester games by his grandfather in the late 50s and early 60s. In the 80s he got back into it as football was too dangerous to watch in the stadium (not particularly dangerous game to game but what's the point of any risk of the potential big issue?), he started taking my brother & sister (twins) to Tigers regularly from 1989, basically to keep them busy during the afternoon while I was young (born 88) and the league gave far more games meaning.

Given the family connections obviously all my uncles, aunt and cousins are fans, so I can't really remember not knowing what rugby was, it was always just there. On a primary-school dressing up day I went as Richard Cockerill, this was when he had a clippered short hair before he went bald and shaved it all off! That would be year 2 so 1994 maybe?

Remember the excitement around them going to cup finals in 1996, we lost on the last play Neil Back assaulted the referee and everyone totally felt robbed. Everyone went to Cardiff for the 1997 Heineken Cup Final v Brive, I went to LCFC v Norwich in the FA Cup. We were meant to have a celebratory party after, my uncle was so angry my dad had to drive one of my cousins home as she wouldn't get in the car with him! Started going regularly that season I think, my first cup final was definitely 1997 v Sale. We sat on the front row of the second tier at Twickenham behind the posts. We won 9-3 I think. Joel Stransky was at 10.

From TV I remember the 1995 RWC, mainly Zinzan Brooke's drop goal. Played Jonah Lomu rugby with my brother on his playstation all the time.

Season ticket from summer of 1997, kept it ever since. Didn't see us lose at home for the first 4 years I followed Tigers! Certainly levelled that out a bit recently. Will never forget watching us win the league at Bristol in 1999, my photo with my dad got in the local paper as they did a special on it!

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Mon, 30 Mar 2020, 08:08

sk 88 wrote:My Dad was taken to Leicester games by his grandfather in the late 50s and early 60s. In the 80s he got back into it as football was too dangerous to watch in the stadium (not particularly dangerous game to game but what's the point of any risk of the potential big issue?), he started taking my brother & sister (twins) to Tigers regularly from 1989, basically to keep them busy during the afternoon while I was young (born 88) and the league gave far more games meaning.

Given the family connections obviously all my uncles, aunt and cousins are fans, so I can't really remember not knowing what rugby was, it was always just there. On a primary-school dressing up day I went as Richard Cockerill, this was when he had a clippered short hair before he went bald and shaved it all off! That would be year 2 so 1994 maybe?

Remember the excitement around them going to cup finals in 1996, we lost on the last play Neil Back assaulted the referee and everyone totally felt robbed. Everyone went to Cardiff for the 1997 Heineken Cup Final v Brive, I went to LCFC v Norwich in the FA Cup. We were meant to have a celebratory party after, my uncle was so angry my dad had to drive one of my cousins home as she wouldn't get in the car with him! Started going regularly that season I think, my first cup final was definitely 1997 v Sale. We sat on the front row of the second tier at Twickenham behind the posts. We won 9-3 I think. Joel Stransky was at 10.

From TV I remember the 1995 RWC, mainly Zinzan Brooke's drop goal. Played Jonah Lomu rugby with my brother on his playstation all the time.

Season ticket from summer of 1997, kept it ever since. Didn't see us lose at home for the first 4 years I followed Tigers! Certainly levelled that out a bit recently. Will never forget watching us win the league at Bristol in 1999, my photo with my dad got in the local paper as they did a special on it!

Magnificent story. And the the SHers wonder how come their plastic teams their administrators came up with in an office can't compete financially with proper clubs like yours.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 18:45

There was no rugby club where I'm from. So I actually never played a proper game. I started to watch rugby in 1999, when I watched Ireland against the USA at the world cup (TV). I was so amazed there was no opera singer for the anthem and everything felt so raw and real...first time I heard about rugby was when some of my friends spent 3 months at a boarding school in England. Their stories made me fall in love with a game I never played. Funny stuff...
My dad took me to my first basketball game when I was 1,5 years old. I have no recollection of it. But I remember that he took me to the football stadium when I was 3, my sister just turned 2 and he took us both to a game. I remember it, it's one of my first memories I have. I somehow even remembered who they were playing against and I know they won; years after I tried to find the game via the internet and... yes, the stuff I remembered was real. I played soccer and basketball, I was ok at both, but in the end I sticked with handball. Tough sport to play, but I don't like to watch it that much. After my "retirement" I started to play soccer again and I'm doing quite fine. I married and my sports fanatism isn't that huge anymore. Still I took my son to a soccer game when he was 3 the first time. It was great. I'm positive about the future ;-)
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 01 Apr 2020, 08:10

Well, my earliest memory of rugby should be from our tennis coach, when I was probably about 10. He was a Kiwi and showed us a VHS-cassette of a rugby match in the club house during a summer camp. Years later I was travelling the world for half a year and learned that there are differences between League and Union due various people I've met. Somehow I ended up travelling with a lot of rugby players. But the most impressive thing was seeing a bunch of Fijians playing 20 vs 20 contact on a small island, which was basically only a resort and a backpacker's, in an area which looked like it was made up of sand and stones.

So when I was back in Germany I decided, that in my mid20ies it was time to start a new sport as I started to gain weight (well I gained even more with rugby afterwards ;-) ) and hadn't done too much in the years before.
Liked Aussie Rules as well, but having 5 clubs in the whole of Germany wasn't that tempting.
So I went to a local rugby club. A nice setup and I enjoyed playing there. Then I became a father and when there were arguments in the club about the direction it should take. I decided to break away and help to set up a new club and do everything to bring this game to locals outside of the expat/student-bubble. After I had to retire, I started the youth section with a bit of success.

But my three favourite rugby experiences are
1) taking my then 4-year-old oldest son to his first game. We flew to London, watched a double-header and then stayed at the hotel in Twickenham stadium.
2) seeing my second son score his first try with being 4-years-old in an U8 game (we have no younger age-grades in Bavaria).
3) the quiet silence when a big youth tournament day at our club is over, everything is tidied up and the sun is going down over the empty pitches, me being the last guy there.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby wooden shoe » Wed, 01 Apr 2020, 18:22

Like the day of yesterday, in 1980, ten years old, Sunday 19.00 hours the weekly sports TV show of the Netherlands "Studio Sport", few highlights of a five nations game. Within 2 seconds I asked my father: "what's the name of this sport?". "That's rugby son". "I want to play it, where is the most nearby club?" "At 15 km, but they have only seniors." A couple of months later there was an article in the local newspaper that they started a youth team in the age of 12 to 16. They let me in.
First player that I remember must have Jean-Pierre Rives.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum