Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

New Club World Cup?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

New Club World Cup?

Unread postby victorsra » Mon, 06 Apr 2020, 22:28

well, Laporte wants a Club World Cup every year: https://www.midi-olympique.fr/2020/04/0 ... 834041.php
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: New Club World Cup?

Unread postby theDarky » Tue, 07 Apr 2020, 00:44

he wants but never talks with the LNR ... this guy is a joke

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Unread postby Duke of Earl » Tue, 07 Apr 2020, 06:34

Cannot see this happening every year , European clubs would be better off trying to expand their club competition across the continent and be more inclusive of other T2 countries. This way it would open itself up to new markets and new commercial opportunities.

The European rugby is a good product , its needs to be better marketed and become more inclusive. There are better ways that European rugby can improve its club competitions.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Unread postby sk 88 » Tue, 07 Apr 2020, 08:16

In that format, no thanks.

I could see a Euro Champ, MLR Champ, Japan Champ and Super Rugby Champ playing in a mini-knockout possibly in August in either Japan or USA kind of like FIFA's equivalent. But I don't see the demand for this kind of thing, and it basically has all the problems of Super Rugby combined with the problems of European Rugby combined with catastrophic environmental costs.

If people are tired of Gloucester v Munster now why won't they be tired of Gloucester v Natal in five years? The real problem is that the game is getting more structured and more stodgy, when people want looser games with more flow to them.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Unread postby STMKY » Tue, 07 Apr 2020, 09:22

I think a more realistic option. Invite the champions of Japan, MLR and SLAR to Russia. Plus the champion of Russia. We have a lot of extra money in rugby. But there are no real tournaments.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Unread postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 08 Apr 2020, 00:02

The problem is timing. All the leagues start at different times of the year. In an idea world I would have an 12 team competition split into 3 groups of 4.

Super Rugby champions
GGR champions
English champions
French champions
Pro 14 champions
MLR champions
SLAR champions
Top League champions
Romanian champions
Russian champions
Spanish Champions
+ Invitational club

It will never happen though unless we develop a global calendar.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Unread postby Tobar » Wed, 08 Apr 2020, 22:36

Duke of Earl wrote:Cannot see this happening every year , European clubs would be better off trying to expand their club competition across the continent and be more inclusive of other T2 countries. This way it would open itself up to new markets and new commercial opportunities.

The European rugby is a good product , its needs to be better marketed and become more inclusive. There are better ways that European rugby can improve its club competitions.

Exactly. If the club competitions want to make more money then they should increase interest in other countries. Spain, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany are terrific markets to target.

Here’s the thing - they don’t need to spend tons and tons of time and money growing interest in the sport. But if they are committed then they can partner with local clubs and try to help grow the sport. In doing so, they raise awareness and interest. Then just brand the shit out of the Top14 clubs.

Here’s one idea - host free rugby summer camps every year. Just get a ton of kids with nothing to do, put them together for a week or two and teach them rugby. You could easily get a couple of hundred kids in a city together, throw the ball around and get them interested enough to join some local clubs and give them all free club t shirts. Do it consistently enough and you’ll get a lot more interest over time.

Keep in mind that I’m coming with an American mindset so if there is anything here that doesn’t really make sense for these countries then feel free to correct me.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Unread postby Duke of Earl » Thu, 09 Apr 2020, 08:59

Thanks Tobar ,

If European Rugby allowed as many countries as posible to participate , they do not have to limit participation to domestic league champions. Some countries , particularly developing countries with predominantly amateur players , could have the discretion to enter a league select instead(am sure Romania did that previously). Yes , it may look like a faux national team , but it would give countries cross border exposure and allow the development of players outside European Championship games as well as raising the profile in the respective countries.

Rugby is about 40 years behind football in terms of development and it took decades for teams/countries to raise their standards in football , but football persevered and look at the success of the European game as a result. If rugby was to be as inclusive , them it would be to the benefit of all involved.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Unread postby sk 88 » Thu, 09 Apr 2020, 12:44

I know the Premiership is focusing on USA for overseas broadcasting rights, which I think is a fair strategy. Its worked for soccer, the breakfast timeslot works quite well (why any future Australian rugby competition could get a UK TV deal if it tried properly), the same language so they have low re-transmission costs (don't have to have a different commentator or translated graphics) , and a market with relative awareness of rugby as a game.

I know clubs are trying to develop the markets in other countries, but mainly to be consumers rather than active participants themselves. Remember club rugby is small and lacks resources so the focus will always have to be narrower than many would want.

I would imagine the RWC figures and soccer figures would make the far east such as HK, Vietnam, Thailand etc the next target. Again these have a footprint to follow in soccer and the RWC showed there may be interest there.

Continental Europe is trickier because I don't think anyone makes a mint off selling to other European nations in soccer. Obviously due to the sheer size they all sell their leagues to every nation but none of it is huge as far as I can work out from a quick google. I know snooker in Germany and Darts in Holland have grown a lot so they may be lessons to learn from those "sports".

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Thu, 09 Apr 2020, 14:53

40 years ago football (soccer) was more global than rugby now.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Return to Rugby Forum