Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Beaumont wants to introduce a stand down period

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Beaumont wants to introduce a stand down period

Unread postby Blurandski » Thu, 23 Apr 2020, 02:00

Armchair Fan wrote:This is not about increasing the competitiveness of Tier 2, only Pacific Islanders would benefit clearly from this. It's about keeping Samoa and Tonga artificially afloat with a quick fix. And I know my team would benefit, but it still isn't right and fair to Georgia, Uruguay...

Nothing is worse than the idea to keep NZ B Blues and NZ C Reds alive via this.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Unread postby Tobar » Thu, 23 Apr 2020, 12:33

amz wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:
amz wrote:When talking about Samoa and Tonga, we are talking about countries with 500k and 200k population and huge emigration. Alone on islands resources they'll become irrelevant in time. They benefit a lot from Australian and Kiwi junior systems even nowdays. How do you think we'll hurt them in long run?

Samoa and Tonga have populations of 200k and 100k. But there are probably just as many living elsewhere.

Yes, my bad, I recalled the numbers corectly but I confused with actual population of the islands. Samoa have 200k and with emigration is close to 500k. Tonga have 100k and a migration of roughly 100k.

The emigration basically doubles the population and imho is a resources that cannot be ignored on the long run. Same as Spain does with its French emigration for example.

Those players are more than welcome to play for Tonga or Samoa. Nothing is stopping them. The choice here is to play for a different country first, then go as a back up option to another country. Fuck that.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Unread postby snapper37 » Thu, 23 Apr 2020, 19:05

sk 88 wrote:The problems I see:

Either this is allowed for all countries or only for "Tier 2".

If allowed for all countries:

You will see capped Fijians etc refusing call ups to re-qualify as English/Irish/Welsh so as to qualify for those nations internal quota systems regardless of whether they intend to play internationally or are desired for the national teams. This is similar to how qualified but uncapped players stay uncapped in NZ at the moment until they have decided to move overseas.

You will see movement between 6N countries, most likely from England and France to Italy but also likely other switches. Large numbers (25% maybe) of England and Wales' teams qualify for the other side, at least one will do a switch at some point.

You will see capped All Blacks play for literally every country in the 6N and likely every country in the RWC bar Argentina, South Africa and maybe someone like Georgia or Uruguay.

If it is only for "Tier 2" teams:
1) how do you define that? Japan for instance, already beat Ireland and Scotland at last RWC, but not in T1 championship.
Leads to 2) Samoa, Fiji, Tonga are all already capable of knocking off teams. What if Samoa or Tonga start with 8/9 previously All Blacks and start beating teams that are being picked on tighter eligibility rules. How is that fair?
3) Would encourage strongly for people to get capped by a T1 side first, i.e. remain uncapped if moved to Europe to try residency or take any cheap going in NZ/Aus even 7s safe in the knowledge you can re-qualify later.

Finally, you already can re-qualify for another nation using the 7s loophoole for the Olympic qualifiers. We could achieve many of the same aims by loosing the restrictions on that slightly (fewer comps needed for instance) or allowing a "prop waiver" as all other positions realistically can be included in a 7s team easily.

I agree if will open up a shit show of players playing all over the place.
You cant treat the tier's differently? Whats good for tier 2's should also be for tiers 1. Players in tier 2 countries may hold out longer now before committing to a tier 1 nation in the hope the can make one of those teams instead. Gett ready for Japan to load up again.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Unread postby snapper37 » Thu, 23 Apr 2020, 19:10

Raven wrote:He is fishing, wants to make sure the PI´s are behind him as there has been some questions around who are they backing up. This (the idea of his) also isn´t something he can decide on his own.

Also, this:
sk 88 wrote:Finally, you already can re-qualify for another nation using the 7s loophoole for the Olympic qualifiers.

Beaumont is full of s***.

Probably

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum