Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

NRFL

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

NRFL

Unread postby iul » Mon, 11 May 2020, 08:25

Are these the same guys that were going to sell franchises for 10 million and play in NFL sized stadiums?
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-holl ... mpetition/

They're getting quite a bit of media coverage. I've seen articles about them on telegraph and other sites.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: NRFL

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 11 May 2020, 09:40

iul wrote:Are these the same guys that were going to sell franchises for 10 million and play in NFL sized stadiums?
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-holl ... mpetition/

They're getting quite a bit of media coverage. I've seen articles about them on telegraph and other sites.

Strange that they are still alive. But the article also says everything you need to know:

It isn’t the first time the NRFL has attempted to establish itself as a professional rugby league after Clements initially founded the organisation in 2014.

Over the course of nine months, the NRFL hosted two combines featuring over 130 athletes – including around 50 with NFL experience – in Minneapolis and Los Angeles.

Attempts to field a team or a competition fell flat, though, when an exhibition match in August 2015 between the Leicester Tigers and a composite side made up of players from the combines and international stars was scrapped after USA Rugby and World Rugby withheld sanctioning.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 11 May 2020, 10:16

I don't see how North America needs this. MLR has done very well to establish itself. It needs time to grow organically. With MLR, ARC and test windows there is now the right amount of rugby. Bring in the World Rugby Nations Cup and there will be plenty. Rugby doesn't need to be the NFL.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Unread postby sk 88 » Mon, 11 May 2020, 12:28

My position on these guys has always been, if it wants to burn a pile of cash then let them.

Let them play, if they succeed then great, if they fail then so what we're back where we started.

I think it will fail to launch again, but hope this time its on his own rather than being stopped by the others.

From a US legal perspective how does the sanctioning line up with anti-monopoly laws? Gridiron doesn't have an equivalent governing body but basketball does, America has had rival basketball leagues to the NBA in the past, were they "officially basketball" so to speak? Or rebel leagues? Major League Soccer isn't the only pro league in USA for instance, just recognised as the best one so far as I can tell.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 11 May 2020, 12:45

sk 88 wrote:My position on these guys has always been, if it wants to burn a pile of cash then let them.

Let them play, if they succeed then great, if they fail then so what we're back where we started.

I think it will fail to launch again, but hope this time its on his own rather than being stopped by the others.

From a US legal perspective how does the sanctioning line up with anti-monopoly laws? Gridiron doesn't have an equivalent governing body but basketball does, America has had rival basketball leagues to the NBA in the past, were they "officially basketball" so to speak? Or rebel leagues? Major League Soccer isn't the only pro league in USA for instance, just recognised as the best one so far as I can tell.

Their problem was, that they wanted to change some rules and the playing field wasn't up to World Rugby standards, if I remember that correctly.
Nobody is stopped to produce a softdrink called Cola an their own, trouble starts, when it is called Coca Cola and pretends it is the real thing.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Unread postby 4N » Mon, 11 May 2020, 16:39

RugbyLiebe wrote:
sk 88 wrote:My position on these guys has always been, if it wants to burn a pile of cash then let them.

Their problem was, that they wanted to change some rules and the playing field wasn't up to World Rugby standards, if I remember that correctly.
Nobody is stopped to produce a softdrink called Cola an their own, trouble starts, when it is called Coca Cola and pretends it is the real thing.

This makes no sense. Changing a few laws doesn’t make it a different sport and plenty of startup competitions have made tweaks. The NRC and Rapid Rugby most recently.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 12 May 2020, 06:32

4N wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

This makes no sense. Changing a few laws doesn’t make it a different sport and plenty of startup competitions have made tweaks. The NRC and Rapid Rugby most recently.

I have the feeling this goes to the same direction as the eligibility discussions we had, and that we tend to have different views about laws and what sport governance means.

The NRC and Rapid Rugby went into talks to World Rugby and Rugby Australia and got their league(s) & those changes sanctioned BEFORE they announced them. The NRFL thought, they didn't need to do that until they realized that they won't get sanctioning for playing any under other rugby teams after talking big about their tweaks.

Apparently they also didn't want to be registered with USA Rugby, but Leicester can only play games with are sanctioned by US Rugby. No affiliation from the NRFL with US Rugby meant, they couldn't sanction it. End of story.

If you want to read up on it: https://www.reddit.com/r/USArugby/comme ... _on_imgur/
The former (?) owner has a long rant about who's fault it was, as well.

Unread postby 4N » Tue, 12 May 2020, 12:28

I know the entire story as do most people who have followed US rugby for the last several years (it was actually a topic on this forum). Robertson isn’t involved any more and yes he did advise them not to seek sanctioning. But your “Coca Cola” comment implies that they were stopped from trying to market something as rugby due to format or rules when in fact it was their own philosophy on sanctioning. Which was something I was critical of at the time.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 12 May 2020, 13:50

4N wrote:I know the entire story as do most people who have followed US rugby for the last several years (it was actually a topic on this forum). Robertson isn’t involved any more and yes he did advise them not to seek sanctioning. But your “Coca Cola” comment implies that they were stopped from trying to market something as rugby due to format or rules when in fact it was their own philosophy on sanctioning. Which was something I was critical of at the time.

Fair enough then. Can't believe that was already 5 years ago. Another league has come and gone in between this and the MLR. Crazy.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Unread postby ficcp » Tue, 12 May 2020, 16:46

United States is a land of opportunities and a land of Freedom. You have the freedom to create, to innovate and also to copy good ideas in case you think you can do better than the incumbent.
The attempt to launch a new pro Rugby league is a recognition to a well done job by MLR and also to the potential of the US Rugby Market. Nevertheless, the already known product must remain competitive respect to newcomers in order to succeed in the long term. Free, Fair and open competition is Good for any market.

Return to Rugby Forum