Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

German rugby

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 08:02

Common Germany! U must win all other matches. U r progressing very fast!

Germany is my favorite team in this REC. U guys MUST advance in RWC 2019.

We can arrange dual training and few unnoficial test matches untill 2019 warm up tests.

U guys have to qualify. U are better than Uruguay and Namibia.

Ithink Germans will win Belgium, Russia and Spain

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 19:25

Don't know what to make out of this game.
Dominant first 50 minutes and then Belgium came back.
Maybe we are simply not used to be in front.

Best thing about today: Germany apparently has a new team supplier, a small local Bavarian business called ADIDAS. At least we were playing with an Adidas shirt.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 19:30

You speak about the little franconian company not the bavarian , arent you!

Anyway another small step in the right direction , DHL , Adidas , looks like the big guns getting us on the radar!

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 19:34

germanbullsfan wrote:You speak about the little franconian company not the bavarian , arent you!

Anyway another small step in the right direction , DHL , Adidas , looks like the big guns getting us on the radar!

Nah, good old bavarian family business gone big ;-)
Never heard about a German state called Franconia. :D

We will see about the radar.

Oh I forgot the third German try, was the best I've ever seen by a german team.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 20:23

Also, if I am not wrong Germany will rank 22nd this monday - for the first time that I know before a team who played in the most recent RWC. Thanks to the surprise win of Brazil over Canada.

Postby Raven » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 22:05

RugbyLiebe wrote:Don't know what to make out of this game.

Best thing about today: Germany apparently has a new team supplier, a small local Bavarian business called ADIDAS. At least we were playing with an Adidas shirt.

The first few minutes it kind of looked like they wanted to do everything at once, play well, win by a load of points and show off their new kit...

Next week will be crucial, specially considering it's a home game for the Germans. However Spain won't be any pushovers.

RugbyLiebe wrote:Also, if I am not wrong Germany will rank 22nd this monday - for the first time that I know before a team who played in the most recent RWC. Thanks to the surprise win of Brazil over Canada.

Despite that being a bit of a milestone, again, next weeks game could help cement the improvement shown by the German XV. Russia away will be a tough cookie.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby cheesus » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 23:36

RugbyLiebe wrote:Also, if I am not wrong Germany will rank 22nd this monday - for the first time that I know before a team who played in the most recent RWC. Thanks to the surprise win of Brazil over Canada.

If they overtake canada, they should overtake spain as well. Because spain lost to georgia.
So they will probably be at 21st.

Definitely it's great to see, that the sponsors are starting to jump the moving train now. Exciting times ahead!

Looking forward to the game against spain next weekend, in a sold out stadium in cologne!

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 00:34

cheesus wrote:

If they overtake canada, they should overtake spain as well. Because spain lost to georgia.
So they will probably be at 21st.

No, losing to Georgia doesn't affect rankings because of the gap between both teams.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby cheesus » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 02:21

Ah, i didn't know that.
So how many places have to be in between at least, that it doesn't count for ranking points?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 03:45

According to rankings calculator if Germany beats Spain they break into the top 20. If they beat Russia too they climb to 18th. :shock:

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 06:33

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 06:52

cheesus wrote:Ah, i didn't know that.
So how many places have to be in between at least, that it doesn't count for ranking points?

10 ranking points

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 06:55

RugbyLiebe wrote:http://www.the42.ie/germany-belgium-rugby-europe-championship-3270214-Mar2017/

Spot on article about the game.

Would the game really have been watched by millions on TV? Would be amazing if true.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 07:26

I doubt it. The game against Romania had 0,2 million. Which is actually a success. To put it in perspective: this is the first year ever with rugby on tv outside of the RWC. And especially for the national team who did not even play in "real" stadiums until recently. Small steps.

Probably he took the Olympic numbers who indeed where in the millions.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby mulu » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 07:34

it's not the first year ever (although this is a common myth): germany vs croatia in rottweil (2000) was shown live on eurosport

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 08:38

mulu wrote:it's not the first year ever (although this is a common myth): germany vs croatia in rottweil (2000) was shown live on eurosport

One single game on a pitch without regular stands...
I mean, you are definitely right, but from an outside perspective I would never even mention this anywhere.

This 2000 game is long gone. When I started working that year for a German internet-sportsite (the one you are writing for now) who literally covered every sport at that time, rugby was not even mentioned once for the next 9 years I worked there apart from the very odd news. It had no impact at all.

But you know better than probably anyone else in German rugby, that we are now in a totally new era.
When I say that rugby was never on tv, technically I'm wrong. But what we are seeing now is that we are having a (paid) broadcast which does have an impact. As had the last RWC, as had the Olympic games.

We have yet to see how big that impact is. To create a legacy is what you, the DRV, the Wild Rugby Academy and all the people in the clubs are working for now.

National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Postby icebreaker » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 09:43

Another positive: The results of the last two qualification games have been posted on the ARD sports page. Way down behind all the winter sport and football of course, but still it is the first time I remember seeing rugby being reported as equally with other smaller sports and not as the kind of "novelty" articles that pop up in the German media form time to time.

This kind of regular media exposure is surely very interesting for potential sponsors.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 10:14

The Sunday Times attended Germany v Belgium game:
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/germa ... -vd9vwzp78

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 10:48

On the Pro 12 talk.
http://www.the42.ie/germany-guinness-pro12-3271489

Speaking to The42 ahead of yesterday’s Rugby Europe Championship game against Belgium in Offenbach, Klaus Blank said: “We have been in contact with Pro12. They explained to us what they are targeting for the next seven, eight years so it’s not next season or it’s not the season after that. It’s a long-term thing.

“There was contact last summer when they asked us to have a little chat about the ideas of Pro12. They said to us that they’re thinking about maybe North America, maybe countries here in Europe but it’s just as an idea.
“I actually don’t understand the discussion in the media about that because it’s not realistic to where we are in conversations. It was just one chat. I wasn’t involved in this discussion but as I said there was only one time and that was half a year ago so I really don’t know why this happened, maybe one interview at the wrong time. I don’t know if it was a misunderstanding.”
While Blank has dismissed the idea of Germany joining the Pro12 anytime soon, he did admit that competing in a competition similar will be vital for the team’s development and the evolution of the sport in the country.
“It doesn’t matter if it’s Pro12 or something else, if we want to develop our team and more players we need a competition like that,” he continued.

“If it’s Pro12 or something else, it doesn’t matter but we need more competitions on a higher level. That’s what we need and that’s one of our targets but it’s not on us to get into Pro12 or something else.
“If they want us or any other country to join, they have to ask and they have to give the structure and then we can discuss that. It’s not our tournament but if we are invited we would be happy but that’s it, we don’t force it.”

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 17:44

Does anyone know from which club came Mathieu Docau and Oliver Payne please ?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Aus_in_Germany » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 18:13

Oli Payne is with Pforzheim

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 21:26

RugbyLiebe wrote:Don't know what to make out of this game.

I noticed team was wearing Adidas. I also spoke before the game to DRV Sponsorship head guy Michael. He commented on the fact they are getting German companies now involved who previously sponsored rugby but not in Germany. Interestingly young NZ lady is in DRV helping to try and push more commercial opportunities according to him. He also said Mr Capri-Sun was at game himself. Other news was confirmation to play a higher ranked non European team in June (he told me team but I cannot pass on) but venue is still tbd in Germany which did make me wonder if he had his facts right as I would expect that other team to be hosting at that time of the year rather than traveling to Germany.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 22:04

Non European higher ranked team travelling to Germany in June? There aren't too many options left... And it would explain why World Rugby decided to invite Spain and Russia to Nations Cup earlier than usually (normally they sent invited pending on REC results).

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 23:23

That's why I said I'm taking the info advised with a grain of salt as to the timing and/or hosting of such a game.

Apologies if this is not new info but talking about German companies, I noticed car maker VW also at Offenbach.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 23:47

Only teams that fit would be Uruguay or Namibia. Have Germany played Namibia lately? Could be a good matchup.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum