Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

German rugby

National Flag:
MacauMacau

German rugby

Postby olivier » Fri, 18 Apr 2014, 08:56

The selection of Justin Melck (Saracens) make some noise in Gemany.
http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/6759/37/

It's maybe the start of a income of overseas players.

Re: German rugby

Postby ultravioletu » Fri, 18 Apr 2014, 10:49

Start? Not quite, the DRV-team already includes more than a handful of overseas players, eligible for Germany due to their long-term spells in Heidelberg (Sean Armstrong, Ryanor Parkinsor, Pieter Jordaan, Rob May) and Frankfurt (Chad Shepherd, Kieran Manawatu, Chris Howells - the last one plays now for Pforzheim, along with Rob May). Throw in a couple of German descendents (like Damien Tussac or Stéphane Kohler), who grew up and still play in France.

What makes Melck special are two facts: (1) he's a totally different league and (2) he had absolutely no contact with German rugby until now, despite his 31 years (he's a German-pass holder, born of German emigrants).

Maybe he realised that his chances to be called up by the Boks are declining :). And Germany still holds a chance, however small, to reach the World Cup...

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Griff » Fri, 18 Apr 2014, 18:31

ultravioletu wrote:Start? Not quite, the DRV-team already includes more than a handful of overseas players, eligible for Germany due to their long-term spells in Heidelberg (Sean Armstrong, Ryanor Parkinsor, Pieter Jordaan, Rob May) and Frankfurt (Chad Shepherd, Kieran Manawatu, Chris Howells - the last one plays now for Pforzheim, along with Rob May). Throw in a couple of German descendents (like Damien Tussac or Stéphane Kohler), who grew up and still play in France.

What makes Melck special are two facts: (1) he's a totally different league and (2) he had absolutely no contact with German rugby until now, despite his 31 years (he's a German-pass holder, born of German emigrants).

Maybe he realised that his chances to be called up by the Boks are declining :). And Germany still holds a chance, however small, to reach the World Cup...

I bet the IRB wouldn't believe their luck if Germany would manage to sneak into the RWC.

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 12:39

I wanted to say playing overseas, meaning good pro players. ;)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby oldprussians » Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 08:58

I just dream of Prussian rugby returning to the glories of 1900 :mrgreen: :lol:

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby oldprussians » Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 09:03

Oh and what's happened to Clemens von Grumbkow?

National Flag:
UkraineUkraine

Postby Roger » Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 09:42

oldprussians wrote:Oh and what's happened to Clemens von Grumbkow?

He has moved from Dax(ProD2) to Cavalieri Prato (in Italy's first division of their domestic league). LINK. It's not a very high level, but at least he's probably on a pro contract there. I don't know if he has played for Germany against the Czech Rep. or if he will be called for their game against Sweden this weekend.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby oldprussians » Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 09:50

Roger wrote:

He has moved from Dax(ProD2) to Cavalieri Prato (in Italy's first division of their domestic league). LINK. It's not a very high level, but at least he's probably on a pro contract there. I don't know if he has played for Germany against the Czech Rep. or if he will be called for their game against Sweden this weekend.

I knew he was playing in Italy!

I meant why is he not on the squad?

Was he injured or just rubbish now?

National Flag:
UkraineUkraine

Postby Roger » Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 09:56

oldprussians wrote:
Roger wrote:

I very much doubt he could be rubbish enough to determine Germany to drop him. He was probably injured/not release or he refused to go.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby oldprussians » Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 10:14

Roger wrote:
oldprussians wrote:
Roger wrote:

I very much doubt he could be rubbish enough to determine Germany to drop him. He was probably injured/not release or he refused to go.

I hope he didn't refuse...

BTW do you know where can I buy the new Germany Jersey?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby mulu » Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 14:08

ultravioletu wrote:Start? Not quite, the DRV-team already includes more than a handful of overseas players, eligible for Germany due to their long-term spells in Heidelberg (Sean Armstrong, Ryanor Parkinsor, Pieter Jordaan, Rob May) and Frankfurt (Chad Shepherd, Kieran Manawatu, Chris Howells - the last one plays now for Pforzheim, along with Rob May). Throw in a couple of German descendents (like Damien Tussac or Stéphane Kohler), who grew up and still play in France.

Chris Howells was raised and born in Germany. He played all his Rugby in Germany, too.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby mulu » Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 14:10

oldprussians wrote:
Roger wrote:
oldprussians wrote:
Roger wrote:

I hope he didn't refuse...

BTW do you know where can I buy the new Germany Jersey?

He is on a professional contract in Italy. It was agreed between player, union and club that Clemens plays with Prato for the reminder of their domestic season. He'll be free to play in a potential Qualifier against the Netherlands though.

Postby ultravioletu » Wed, 23 Apr 2014, 02:29

mulu wrote:Chris Howells was raised and born in Germany. He played all his Rugby in Germany, too.
Welcome, mulu. My bad about that one, and I misunderstood olivier's angle anyway (see above). So one can ignore my post completely :)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby oldprussians » Wed, 23 Apr 2014, 14:59

Und warum ist alles hier in nicht im Deutsch? :lol:

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 23 Apr 2014, 15:07

oldprussians wrote:Und warum ist alles hier in nicht im Deutsch? :lol:

Nothing is in German here because we want everyone to be able to understand what is going on. :)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby oldprussians » Wed, 23 Apr 2014, 15:45

iul wrote:
oldprussians wrote:Und warum ist alles hier in nicht im Deutsch? :lol:

Nothing is in German here because we want everyone to be able to understand what is going on. :)

You want to confuse the issue with facts?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby oldprussians » Wed, 23 Apr 2014, 15:48

Very importantly!!

is the Sweden game going to be on TV? any TV?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Wed, 23 Apr 2014, 19:11

In D they would rather broadcast a Bezirksliga Soccergame live before they even consider to bring a rugbygame on TV!

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby oldprussians » Thu, 24 Apr 2014, 10:18

germanbullsfan wrote:In D they would rather broadcast a Bezirksliga Soccergame live before they even consider to bring a rugbygame on TV!

I thought WDR showed it?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Thu, 24 Apr 2014, 14:41

I talking about live coverage!!!

and by the way here some total rugby footage : http://youtu.be/1KoFIe73Pyw

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby oldprussians » Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 10:12

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 10:17

oldprussians wrote:Alexander Widiker retired?????

http://www.rugby-verband.de/england-pro ... eg-fuhren/

English translation

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby oldprussians » Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 11:02

iul wrote:

English translation

What I meant was could he do it after the world Cup?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 11:09

oldprussians wrote:
iul wrote:

English translation

What I meant was could he do it after the world Cup?

Apparently he's only 31. Why is he retiring at all? Is he retiring from the national team only or from his club as well?
Germany is unlikely to make it to the RWC, so I don't think that is part of the equation for him when taking the decision.

Postby ultravioletu » Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 12:45

He retiring because he's 31 and amateur. Even if he plays for what many label as "the only professional club in Germany", he does not live off rugby, but off a normal job. In which he got promoted - with more responsibilities and less free time for training and travelling abroad. He told that he's decided to concentrate only on club for the short rest of his playing career.

That's a quite common story in German rugby, at all age levels. Many good yougsters are lost for seniors rugby when they must go to university and generally start worrying about their living.

There are a few exceptions, like "mulu", who God knows where he can find time and resources for his engagement in German rugby, but they are truly rare.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum