Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

German rugby

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: German rugby

Postby amz » Sat, 31 Mar 2018, 13:47

CM wrote:I am sceptical. Not out of malice, but the club doesn't have a BIG following after winning everything for the last years. I wouldn't trust their marketing.

And which top club actually takes the challenge cup serious? More and more teams seem to rest their top players to fight their league, especially the English and French clubs.

Before complaining about UK and French clubs fielding second strings I think you should actually make it there and got a win over such depleted team ^^

Postby Raven » Sat, 31 Mar 2018, 13:51

amz wrote:
CM wrote:I am sceptical. Not out of malice, but the club doesn't have a BIG following after winning everything for the last years. I wouldn't trust their marketing.

And which top club actually takes the challenge cup serious? More and more teams seem to rest their top players to fight their league, especially the English and French clubs.

Before complaining about UK and French clubs fielding second strings I think you should actually make it there and got a win over such depleted team ^^

Yeah, of course, if you read above you will notice that we did say that this is "IF" they make it.

In my opinion qualifying to this Cup would be a hell of a boost for German Rugby (internal issues aside) and not that much for Romanian standards where the League is a lot healthier -and more competitive- as they are professional.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby luca tim » Sat, 31 Mar 2018, 23:24

Raven wrote:In my opinion qualifying to this Cup would be a hell of a boost for German Rugby (internal issues aside) and not that much for Romanian standards where the League is a lot healthier -and more competitive- as they are professional.

Well, for Timisoara to qualify into Challenge Cup next year is of vital importance. Some new sponsors should occur given the international exposure, also the confirmation of the existing sponsors. Very important are the local authorities which are now stretched financially between new government regulations that are thinning the local budget and some new expenditures for the European Cultural Capital in 2021. That should result in new signings, a new coach and 2-3 players at least, otherwise some of the other teams in SuperLiga are strengthening above Timisoara's level, mainly CSM.

CSM is a special case, as the club is owned by the city hall of Bucharest, whose budget is of 1,25 billion Euros, whose mayor is a lady seen as the new possible president of Romania so they'll spare some millions into sport for some political gains. In women handball the club managed to become champions of Europe in 2017 after being close to relegation into second division in 2014 (some smart guys figured that sport is an easier way to dissimulate a good performance in local administration). So, with football being to "expensive", I figure other "niche" sports, among them rugby, might be another solution. Conveniently, CSM played the Cup semifinal against Timisoara exactly the weekend Romania played Georgia in Tibilisi, with 8 players from Timisoara called to the national team, another one injured playing for the national team a couple of weeks before.... well, it happens... It happened that CSM won, though the game should have been rescheduled.... going on this path I honestly think the chances of Timisoara winning the championship this year are thinning abruptly .........and the late lack of professionalism from the club certainly ain't helping. So, no European Cup, no Championship, a lenient attitude among the players due to lack of motivation and we're down the sink next year (personally I don't think that Timisoara players are worse than others, like suggested on other topics, but, hey, our grandfathers did not came back from Paris with the rugby ball in their rucksack, 100 years ago, like other grandparents that build the cradle of Romanian rugby).

I'm genuinely sorry for the long post on Romanian rugby on the German rugby topic but I had 2 or 3 glasses of wine above my usual limit and my fingers felt itchy!

Postby Raven » Sun, 01 Apr 2018, 11:28

No that´s fine!, if anything it enriches the debate on where would it have a greater impact (hypothetically speaking)

I hadn´t seen it that way, but judging by what you list above, you are right, maybe the boost is as important for the Romanian club too. Although -unlike HRK- Timisoara has already been involved in the Cup before, so perhaps you can also take that experience to have an idea of what to expect outside of the field... In fairness I also have the feeling that both clubs (with their rosters as they stand today) aren´t stronger than the Russian ones.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 01 Apr 2018, 11:30

One should not forget that Timisoara badly needs a Head Coach.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 01 Apr 2018, 20:08

Danie De Villiers returning to Romania, not sure why. Perhaps it is a return to Timiosoara?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 01 Apr 2018, 20:46

From where you got this?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 01 Apr 2018, 21:04

amz wrote:From where you got this?

I know him. And in fact, he's back in Romania.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 02:13

TheStroBro wrote:
amz wrote:From where you got this?

I know him. And in fact, he's back in Romania.

I ve seen on his facebook profile he's in Bucharest. Easter is next and and his wife is Romanian, maybe they are visiting her family. Do you have any news or just want to look interesting?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 02:18

amz wrote: I ve seen on his facebook profile he's in Bucharest. Easter is next and and his wife is Romanian, maybe they are visiting her family. Do you have any news or just want to look interesting?

It be what it be, I haven't asked and I'm not going to. I know he's interested in an MLR position and coming back to the states. However, I don't think he's returning to SA for awhile. Just pointing out that he's back in Romania and it was stated Timiosara needs a coach. So I found it interesting knowledge.

Postby Raven » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 11:39

hey! this is the German Rugby thread - go troll the Romanian rumors in your own topic! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 06:54

Somehow under the radar, because of the Hong Kong buzz, the DRV and the WRA had talks last week under the mediation of World Rugby.
Apparently the next talks are already scheduled "for the near future" and Mark Egan, World Rugby Head of Competitions and Performance, said: "I was
extremely pleased with the positive nature of the discussions that took place. There is a strong commitment from both parties to progress further work on developing a cohesive framework under which rugby can grow in Germany in a sustainable and progressive way. World Rugby is very supportive of the process and I look forward to participating in future meetings and assisting the ongoing work in whatever way possible”.

http://www.rugby-verband.de/gespraechsa ... frankfurt/

English version:
http://www.rugby-verband.de/wp-content/ ... %80%A6.pdf

Let us hope this talks go on and end the German rugby civil war.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 08:04

They prepare Germany for World Cup :)).

Now serious...why World Rugby to come in Germany to settle a domestic dispute?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 09:06

Bogdan_DC wrote:They prepare Germany for World Cup :)).

Why not. Both parties had contact with World Rugby and one part of the conflict was, who is allowed to talk how to World Rugby.
Also it is smart to have an independent mediator especially when so much is at stake ( we all remember that German XVs was part of the high-performance program) Off course World Rugby also wants to know if Germany will have their best players in the future or not. We've all seen how we play without our 30-40 best players.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 10:09

Well, World Rugby feeling its investment and the one from some of its global partners (DHL) is going down the toilet is probably a good enough reason to intervene.
REC 2018 never happened. Please respect my beliefs

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby datodato » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 10:16

Armchair Fan wrote:Well, World Rugby feeling its investment and the one from some of its global partners (DHL) is going down the toilet is probably a good enough reason to intervene.

Exactly. They invested too much to let it slip away.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 10:45

100% correct. German rugby was heading in the right direction for the first time in decades and there's no-way they are letting all that work go to waste. Germany is one of the nations WR have got their sights on, so lets hope this situation gets sorted quickly, this year's REC was an embarrassment for Germany.

Postby 4N » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 10:50

Armchair Fan wrote:Well, World Rugby feeling its investment and the one from some of its global partners (DHL) is going down the toilet is probably a good enough reason to intervene.

Yep you're right. :thumbup:

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 14:50

RugbyLiebe wrote:Somehow under the radar, because of the Hong Kong buzz, the DRV and the WRA had talks last week under the mediation of World Rugby.
Apparently the next talks are already scheduled "for the near future" and Mark Egan, World Rugby Head of Competitions and Performance, said: "I was
extremely pleased with the positive nature of the discussions that took place. There is a strong commitment from both parties to progress further work on developing a cohesive framework under which rugby can grow in Germany in a sustainable and progressive way. World Rugby is very supportive of the process and I look forward to participating in future meetings and assisting the ongoing work in whatever way possible”.

http://www.rugby-verband.de/gespraechsa ... frankfurt/

English version:
http://www.rugby-verband.de/wp-content/ ... %80%A6.pdf

Let us hope this talks go on and end the German rugby civil war.

From what I've heard this isn't the first meeting in the last month, just the only public one. Overall seems like there may be some type of resolution coming out of it.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 12 Apr 2018, 05:59

RugbyLiebe wrote:

Why not. Both parties had contact with World Rugby and one part of the conflict was, who is allowed to talk how to World Rugby.
Also it is smart to have an independent mediator especially when so much is at stake ( we all remember that German XVs was part of the high-performance program) Off course World Rugby also wants to know if Germany will have their best players in the future or not. We've all seen how we play without our 30-40 best players.

Well the reasons are obvious, i question the proceedings. Every time when unions are fighting clubs (i mean like always), WR will step up to make peace?I don't think is the right thing to do, is a domestic issue and should have an internal solution.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 12 Apr 2018, 07:31

Bogdan_DC wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

Well the reasons are obvious, i question the proceedings. Every time when unions are fighting clubs (i mean like always), WR will step up to make peace?I don't think is the right thing to do, is a domestic issue and should have an internal solution.

If both sides ask for it? (I reckon they have) Why not. WR is the perfect mediator in this kind of case.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum