GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 11:26

beber wrote:Tony Flood want to play for Germany
https://m.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/T ... gby.com%2F

His morther's family is german

English article
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/ex-engla ... h-20170821

Hm, so how do we get rid of his 60 caps for England?
But it is tragic how we find out, that another player of a minnow nations was robbed by the big guns !!!!!111111eleveneleveneleven

Edit: okay, now I am stunned http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/9075/37/
totalrugby.de confirms that he has indeed contacted the German Union :shock:
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 12:42

If Newcastle were to release him for enough tournaments he could use the 7s loophole to qualify for Germany.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 13:01

sk 88 wrote:If Newcastle were to release him for enough tournaments he could use the 7s loophole to qualify for Germany.

Problem is: that's in 2020. Guess he just wanted free tickets for the Oktoberfest 7s ;-)
Well no worries, he can play with my club's team in the amateur tournament :D
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 13:07

I may be wrong but there are two possible dates for his switch:
- If Germany wins 2018 Hong Kong 7s he could become eligible as soon as December 2018, since probably 2018-2019 Sevens World Series will qualify for the Olympics.
- If Germany fails again in Hong Kong, he probably should wait until European GPS in June 2019 as the regional Olympic qualifier.

That, based on 2016 Olympic qualifying process.

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 14:11

Armchair Fan wrote:I may be wrong but there are two possible dates for his switch:
- If Germany wins 2018 Hong Kong 7s he could become eligible as soon as December 2018, since probably 2018-2019 Sevens World Series will qualify for the Olympics.
- If Germany fails again in Hong Kong, he probably should wait until European GPS in June 2019 as the regional Olympic qualifier.

I don't think he's aware of that long wait.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 14:58

He probably is aware. Here is a quote from an article in the Times (you probably need to register to read the full article) :
The 32-year-old would need to play for Germany in Olympic qualification sevens tournaments, most likely in the summer of 2019, to be eligible for their Test team. “If there was any way of trying to help a fledgeling rugby country, it would interest me,” Flood said.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 15:08

olivier wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:I may be wrong but there are two possible dates for his switch:

I don't think he's aware of that long wait.

Okay, this sounds interesting. But yeah, if the SWS is part of an Olympic Qualifier, it could be an "Olympic Event"

Good background info.
http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/ ... -open-arms

Postby Raven » Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 15:54

As much as I would like for that to happen and not even putting into any doubt the caliber of the player he is, I don´t think it´s something Germany should be focusing on right now...

I even mentioned (I believe in this same forum) that it would be great to see Rory Clegg playing with the German National side, as he was born in Germany and only played for Saxons in 2011 -also, "only" 27-, but the whole process that would have to be made for this venture is too long that it would be better to focus on seeking and selecting a player that holds a passport already.

But say it does happen, now Magnuss Lund is gonna play for Norway with his brother too?... :lol:

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 19:54

If he would be a prop all that time problem wouldnt matter , but not for a Nr. 10 and then in the Sevens code , for a active role in the Team too late and to old ! He should bring his knowledge and expertise as a coach or consultant into german rugby .

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 22 Aug 2017, 09:25

Does it matter at all that the place his grandfather was born is now in Poland?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby mulu » Tue, 22 Aug 2017, 09:27

sk 88 wrote:Does it matter at all that the place his grandfather was born is now in Poland?

he holds a german passport so he is german

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 22 Aug 2017, 10:26

It's kind of ridiculous to play 60 times for one national team than be able to play for another one by this loophole while you are not allowed to play for a national team after 3 years in the local competition, without being capped previously.

Shows how populist and hypocritical in fact is the measure to raise the period to 5 years and how the Home Nations aren't hurt because they can get all the time players from SH based on ancestry so project players still a possibility.

As for his eventual contribution to German squad, even at 34 yo he'll be a good player to have, even if he starts on bench as his experience and skills is unlikely to be matched by other German player in next 2-3 years.

National Flag:

Postby Bolaroid » Tue, 22 Aug 2017, 11:58

Former England 9 Lee Dickson is German born too. Nice half-back combo.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Wed, 23 Aug 2017, 06:54

amz wrote:It's kind of ridiculous to play 60 times for one national team than be able to play for another one

Could not agree more. In general rules of naturalization in rugby should be revised.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 24 Aug 2017, 19:44

Is German test schedule fixed and set or could there be still some changes?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 25 Aug 2017, 11:18

Germany signs former England international Mouritz Botha as a 15s defensive and forwards coach. (apparently paid by the Wild Rugby Academy, which hopefully is a good sign, that the Deutscher Rugby Verband and the WRA have reached an agreement)

" I was really impressed how much commitment and ambition is involved in the work here. I am really happy about the chance to help reaching the ambitious goals. The foundation for success is there and I think the qualificiation for the world cup is absolutely possible".

("Ich war wirklich beeindruckt, mit wie viel Engagement und mit welchen Ambitionen hier gearbeitet wird. Ich freue mich über die Gelegenheit, dabei zu helfen, die hoch gesteckten Ziele zu erreichen. Das Fundament für Erfolg ist da, und ich denke, dass die Qualifikation für die Weltmeisterschaft durchaus möglich ist.“)

http://www.rugby-verband.de/?p=12584

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby sanitycheck » Fri, 01 Sep 2017, 21:21

Um..... is this a late/early april fools joke ?

Formerly known as "Aus_in_Germany"

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Mon, 04 Sep 2017, 14:44

I think it is mainly for the development of the smaller clubs, to give them some exposure.

There are certainly a few draws which will raise questions..... but also a few draws where I can see 2nd division teams winning.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Mon, 04 Sep 2017, 14:49

Has anyone noticed how many new/reawakened clubs there are all of a sudden?

Something in the region of 17 country wide, some of them are even single village teams.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 04 Sep 2017, 15:10

DragonMike wrote:Has anyone noticed how many new/reawakened clubs there are all of a sudden?

Something in the region of 17 country wide, some of them are even single village teams.

I did some investigation on that village matter and de facto there is only one single Bundesliga team from a village in the history of rugby in Germany.
And that is now RC Unterföhring (Gemeinde). All the other teams came from "cities" (Städte). But even that's just a coincidence, as Unterföhring's pitch is 500m away from Munich and the club is located closer to Munich's centre than i.e. München RFC. Also Unterföhring has overtaken StuSta München in 2017 as the second biggest club memberwise in Bavaria.

But yeah, if you don't draw a 1. Bundesliga team from the South the games shouldn't be too bad and some surprises could be in it.
Rottweil - Berlin Grizzlies
München RFC - Hamburger RC
StuSta München - Berliner Rugby Club
Luxembourg - Odin/Döhren
could be very interesting games.

I do like the cup in general. I wouldn't have done a full "2. Bundesliga against 1. Bundesliga"-draw, I think the dates are not that great, and it makes no sense, that the loser of this round go back to the Ligapokal to face maybe the same opponents again,
BUT it is great and adds some spice to the regular calendar.
Also three teams will have a regular game in Munich during the Oktoberfest which is another pro :D

Edit: also the Pokalrichtlinien (cup rules) make sure that everybody will take part. If not -2 points in the league will come upon the teams.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Mon, 04 Sep 2017, 19:53

I qas referring to werlte and karlshöfen specifically. But true, unterföhring are pretty new.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 05 Sep 2017, 16:45

DragonMike wrote:I qas referring to werlte and karlshöfen specifically. But true, unterföhring are pretty new.

Fair enough. Thought you were speaking about teams in the cup. There are some new clubs coming up in smaller cities/ towns and the most important things: most of them start with or have youth teams. Bigger chance to make them lasting longer. Probably the only chance to exist longer.
The Frankfurt area seems to do a good job especially. There you can drive from Frankfurt to Offenbach to Obertshausen to Heusenstamm and than to Dreieich and every single town on the way has an active rugby club.
Same for the Hamburg area with new clubs coming up and the North especially with Werlte and also Cloppenburg and even in Munich (Anzing and Gröbenzell just have youth sections -with the later already being really active for 6 years and the resurrection of Fürstenfeldbruck and the newly founded GLBT club Munich Monks) there is further grow.

Lets hope that most of this club will grow, don't cannabalize each other and stay active.
Would be quite interesting how big your recruitment area should be to keep a club going. My guess would be 200.000-500.000.
I mean Heidelberg would be excluded (where 5 clubs share the 150k from Heidelberg and the 300k from Mannheim), but even there in the Metropolian region those 5,5 million don't have no more than 15 (uneducated guess) clubs.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby frakturfreak » Sat, 09 Sep 2017, 18:58

According to this it looks like the November test against South Korea was cancelled by them.
Instead Germany is likely going to play Chile, if they can get a flight with the right conditions. (Article in German)

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Tue, 12 Sep 2017, 19:46

See this ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cric ... 43516.html

Maybe that's the answer - shift 100,000 people from NZ, South Africa to Germany for a rugby revolution to kick off there too.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum