Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

German rugby

Posts: 111
Joined: Wed, 19 Nov 2014, 10:11
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby CM » Mon, 20 Feb 2017, 17:13

I am not all that worried by the result against Georgia. Maybe some of our players weren't quite into the game, but that is understandably when so many players are missing and no one expects a win. Still there was no injury and most of the players from the Romania game could be back soon. Also I'd say that the German game plan suffers if we don't have at least parity in the forwards. And there was no chance for this on Sunday.

Let's just remember to take one step at a time. I'd say Germany is going into the right direction but we are still a long way off. But there will be more people in Offenbach and Cologne should be sold out, the work with the junior teams is intensifying and finally people can watch German rugby on TV. Step by step.

Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 20 Feb 2017, 21:39

JTV84 wrote:
dropkick wrote:I just saw an interesting tweet. Its only a tweet but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Robin Davey
"Germany look to enter a franchise into the Pro 12 and set aside £26.5m for new infrastructure including stadium. Aim to qualify for 2019 WC"

https://twitter.com/robindavey01/status ... 6509331456


Germans are more likable to support any sports team than any other country, so fan base would be no problem for them.
I believe that RWC19 is already gone for Germany, but if this PRO12 team tends to happen, RWC23 would be a huge opportunity form them as Georgia or even Romania gets a direct Q.


First point. Interesting why do you think so?


Second point: I reckon you are not fully aware how to qualify for a RWC. Germany had one game in the qualification round yet and the won against the heavy favourite. They are ranked on the 2nd place behind said Romania who happened to play one more qualification game, but in front of Spain and Russia despite those teams already played two games as well.
Games against Gergia don't count.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 581
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 20:56
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: German rugby

Postby fullbackace » Mon, 20 Feb 2017, 22:38

Listen to RugbyLiebe guys, he understands tier2 rugby very well.

Georgia and Germany have completely different goals in this REC, Georgia need to build depth for the 2019 RWC to possibly advance from the group stage, whilst still winning REC with a grand slam. Germany needs to achieve some form of success to bring attention to themselves, which then can be used as a marketing tool for popularizing the game across the country. Qualifying for the RWC would be ideal, But what they really need to do is improve their quality on youth levels(Which I heard they're already doing). If I were German I'd be far more excited about U20s/U18s improving than the main team. Look up World Rugby U20 Trophy(i think that's what JWRT is called now) That is where Germany needs to get to ASAP, and if they finish in high positions then we know that youth development is going well.

Also I'd like Georgian and German U20s to play test games, It would be a great experience for German kids to play against World Cup participants. Georgian U20s improved massively after they started playing JWRT and Tier 1 U18 tests.

People often put too much importance on main national team results, but in reality most games there are won or lost before they even start. big part of that win is having top class youth teams. At least that's how Georgia did it. There are other more unorthodox ways for richer established nations, but they're not exactly loved for it.

EDIT: So here I found the link for Rugby europe U20s, I haven't followed these since we qualified for the RWC but if the status quo stands Portugal should be the favorites, Germany should aim to beat Russia at all costs, Losing to Russia is never a good result, they're a stagnant nation with bad coaching and organization. Netherlands a wildcard with the recent spree of development you never know how they will perform. So here it is, Good luck.
http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/competitions/ ... ampionship
___________________

Also forget talk about Namibian players, If you're thinking about using 2nd tier Namibians you've already lost. Your goal should be beating teams like Uruguay, Namibia, Spain and Russia not naturalizing their players.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 11 Feb 2017, 21:43
National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Re: German rugby

Postby icebreaker » Tue, 21 Feb 2017, 10:20

suofficer wrote:Slightly off topic but how strong are the connection with Namibia and its diaspora ?


Well, as a German in Namibia, I think the connections to Germany are still surprisingly strong, however, German rugby is not going to benefit from that. The German-Namibian community is really small, 15 000 to 20 000 people max. Also, while interest in rugby might be higher than in Germany, due to the apartheid legacy, rugby is still very much considered the sport of the white Afrikaans speaking community where the German-speaking community is not that much involved. Broadly speaking, they stick to other sports such as football and volleyball (which is really popular).

Posts: 176
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 14:05
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby mulu » Tue, 21 Feb 2017, 10:25

fullbackace wrote:___________________

Also forget talk about Namibian players, If you're thinking about using 2nd tier Namibians you've already lost. Your goal should be beating teams like Uruguay, Namibia, Spain and Russia not naturalizing their players.


We do have one very talented Namibian (with german heritage) by the name of Giovanni Engelbrecht in our squad. Unfortunately he had a very bad run with injuries but if we get him right he'll be somebody to watch out for in both 7s and 15s.

Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 20:48

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/germa ... -cf0lxrrll

Not sure what the entire article says. Anyone got a subscription.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 135
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2016, 14:19
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: German rugby

Postby sammo » Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 20:51

RugbyLiebe wrote:http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/germany-eyeing-six-nations-with-help-from-capri-sun-cf0lxrrll

Not sure what the entire article says. Anyone got a subscription.


Muhammad Ali was reaching the end of his boxing career in 1979 when a marketing executive from Germany persuaded him to become the advertising spokesman for an obscure drink that was being launched in the United States. “I am the greatest, the whole world knows it,” Ali proclaimed, “but the day I stop boxing, Capri-Sun will be greatest.”

It was a sensational coup. Within 15 years, Capri-Sun was the market leader in the US and by 2004 it had global sales of five billion drink pouches a year, appearing in lunch boxes and picnic hampers in 100 different countries.

That marketing executive was Dr Hans-Peter Wild, a Cambridge University graduate from Heidelberg, one of two rugby strongholds in Germany, who is now worth $2.7 billion [about £2.1 billion]. For the past decade, Wild has been bankrolling German rugby with similarly bold ambitions.

Having initially set up a foundation to encourage youth participation, Wild has now earmarked £30 million for high-performance infrastructure in Heidelberg, with a vision to create a professional franchise capable of competing in the European Challenge Cup and possibly the Guinness PRO12.

The target for the national team is for Germany to qualify for the 2019 World Cup and the 2020 Olympic Games — and then to start banging on the door of the Six Nations.

There is still some way to travel. Germany are ranked 22nd in the world and they were defeated 50-6 by Georgia, the standard-bearers for the second tier of European rugby, last weekend. But Germany have shown their potential with two notable victories this season, defeating Uruguay, who have appeared at three World Cups, 24-21 in November and then Romania 41-38 on February 11.

Germany’s belief is that, within a generation, they will not only be able to dance in the ring with the best teams in the world, but land punches too. “That is the ultimate goal,” Robert Mohr, the manager of Heidelberg’s Wild Rugby Academy, told The Times. “But nothing in our beautiful sport is straightforward.”

Georgia’s efforts to gain entry into the Six Nations have been repeatedly and controversially rebuffed. However, the German federation (Deutscher Rugby-Verband) believes that it could prise open the door to European rugby’s most protectionist club because, ultimately, money talks.

KEY STAT
340,347
Registered players in England according to 2014 World Rugby figures
“If Germany had shown the same results as Georgia have, it would be easier for us to open up the Six Nations,” Manuel Wilhelm, sporting director of the DRV, said. “The German market, on a global scale, is just a different beast.

“I do not believe in Six Nations expansion but you need a relegation match between the last team of the Six Nations and the winners of the Rugby Europe Championship. You have to open up that opportunity to grow the global sport.

“Now we have to catch up with Georgia. Those results [against Uruguay and Romania] help to show us that we are moving in the right direction, that reaching a World Cup and Olympics can be a real ambition. The reaction to the Romania result in World Rugby and Rugby Europe showed there is a big interest in developing another major rugby-playing nation.”

Germany have not always been international minnows. Rugby was established there before football, introduced to Heidelberg by students and in Hanover through the royal links with England that date back to George I in 1714.

Posts: 2730
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: German rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 22:16

Worth posting in the 6N thread.

Posts: 372
Joined: Mon, 12 May 2014, 21:05
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: German rugby

Postby dropkick » Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 23:34

RugbyLiebe wrote:http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/germany-eyeing-six-nations-with-help-from-capri-sun-cf0lxrrll

Not sure what the entire article says. Anyone got a subscription.



I'm wondering why they couldn't ask Herr Wilheim him about the pro 12. :?

User avatar
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun, 28 Feb 2016, 22:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby frakturfreak » Sun, 26 Feb 2017, 19:54

[uI’ve got this answer from the WRA:

https://twitter.com/WRARugby/status/835122085869547520

Robert Mohr will answer such questions in the pre-match press conference before the match against Belgium.

Posts: 281
Joined: Thu, 28 Jul 2016, 19:33
National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: German rugby

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sun, 26 Feb 2017, 21:13

frakturfreak wrote:[uI’ve got this answer from the WRA:

https://twitter.com/WRARugby/status/835122085869547520

Robert Mohr will answer such questions in the pre-match press conference before the match against Belgium.


Interesting times!

User avatar
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 05:29
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby germanbullsfan » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 17:18

The game against Spain in Cologne ist almost a sell-out ! Only 27 seats left ! The Terraces allso! Looks like the Cologne Organisation makes everthing right when it comes to promote the game ! In my opinion Cologne should be considered granted when it comes to host german games in the near future , they even should go a step further an look for the next size stadion ( 10 000) to hold an rugby event in town

On the other side Offenbach still struggling to sell the half sized Stadium out , far to many seats uncapped ! Whats the problem there?

Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 18:49

You are asking the wrong questions.
Offenbach ist the norm. Cologne is running so well, because:
the rugby club is part of the biggest sports club in Cologne with a lot connections to celebs. Also there is always a "Cologne pop" band playing live.
They make an event out of it. It still has flaws (not enough beer stands i.e. last year), but that's absolutely okay for the attendance
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 6
Joined: Thu, 31 Mar 2016, 14:04
Location: Mars

Re: German rugby

Postby myth » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 20:50

RugbyLiebe wrote:You are asking the wrong questions.
Offenbach ist the norm. Cologne is running so well, because:
the rugby club is part of the biggest sports club in Cologne with a lot connections to celebs. Also there is always a "Cologne pop" band playing live.
They make an event out of it. It still has flaws (not enough beer stands i.e. last year), but that's absolutely okay for the attendance
Misleading conclusion based on wrong facts.
Just one example:
"rugby club is part of the biggest sports club in Cologne" The mentioned club, ASV Cologne, has nearly 5.000 members.
The biggest sports club in Cologne has about 68.000 members.

User avatar
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon, 30 Jun 2014, 08:59
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: German rugby

Postby gambass » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 21:25

myth wrote:The biggest sports club in Cologne has about 68.000 members.


Seriously ? :shock:

Posts: 6
Joined: Thu, 31 Mar 2016, 14:04
Location: Mars

Re: German rugby

Postby myth » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 21:40

gambass wrote:
myth wrote:The biggest sports club in Cologne has about 68.000 members.


Seriously ? :shock:
No. According to wikipedia they have "over 78,500 members".

User avatar
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon, 30 Jun 2014, 08:59
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: German rugby

Postby gambass » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 22:06

Ah ok, I thought you were talking about active playing members.

Nevermind then.

Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 01 Mar 2017, 23:29

myth wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:You are asking the wrong questions.
Offenbach ist the norm. Cologne is running so well, because:
the rugby club is part of the biggest sports club in Cologne with a lot connections to celebs. Also there is always a "Cologne pop" band playing live.
They make an event out of it. It still has flaws (not enough beer stands i.e. last year), but that's absolutely okay for the attendance
Misleading conclusion based on wrong facts.
Just one example:
"rugby club is part of the biggest sports club in Cologne" The mentioned club, ASV Cologne, has nearly 5.000 members.
The biggest sports club in Cologne has about 68.000 members.


Fair enough. I meant to write one of the biggest sport clubs. My bad. I might be wrong on that as well, but apart from FC St. Pauli and the not really thriving sections of Eintracht Frankfurt and Hamburger SV I don't know a rugby section which is part of a bigger sport club than the ASV Köln in Germany. But I am always happy to learn.
I had the impression of a healthy club atmosphere which lead to a great success when I went there last year.

So what are the other "wrong" facts and even more important, what are your conclusions why Cologne seems to sell out and Offenbach won't or even reach the Cologne numbers?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 359
Joined: Sun, 11 May 2014, 18:08
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby Aus_in_Germany » Thu, 02 Mar 2017, 07:00

RugbyLiebe wrote:
myth wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:You are asking the wrong questions.
Offenbach ist the norm. Cologne is running so well, because:
the rugby club is part of the biggest sports club in Cologne with a lot connections to celebs. Also there is always a "Cologne pop" band playing live.
They make an event out of it. It still has flaws (not enough beer stands i.e. last year), but that's absolutely okay for the attendance
Misleading conclusion based on wrong facts.
Just one example:
"rugby club is part of the biggest sports club in Cologne" The mentioned club, ASV Cologne, has nearly 5.000 members.
The biggest sports club in Cologne has about 68.000 members.


Fair enough. I meant to write one of the biggest sport clubs. My bad. I might be wrong on that as well, but apart from FC St. Pauli and the not really thriving sections of Eintracht Frankfurt and Hamburger SV I don't know a rugby section which is part of a bigger sport club than the ASV Köln in Germany. But I am always happy to learn.
I had the impression of a healthy club atmosphere which lead to a great success when I went there last year.

So what are the other "wrong" facts and even more important, what are your conclusions why Cologne seems to sell out and Offenbach won't or even reach the Cologne numbers?


When I bought tickets to the Uruguay game, only two sides of the stands were open and one area behind the posts (one end was completely closed) when i saw the ticket prices for the main stand they were considerably more than the other side - with similar viewing so it made sense to get the other side.

For Offenbach when I looked at the purchase map, there was only the two sides available and on the "non" main side (standing area) , one block can only be purchased... is it a case of they would open more areas when that sells out or are they restricted in the amount they can sell ?

Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 02 Mar 2017, 08:13

Aus_in_Germany wrote:
When I bought tickets to the Uruguay game, only two sides of the stands were open and one area behind the posts (one end was completely closed) when i saw the ticket prices for the main stand they were considerably more than the other side - with similar viewing so it made sense to get the other side.

For Offenbach when I looked at the purchase map, there was only the two sides available and on the "non" main side (standing area) , one block can only be purchased... is it a case of they would open more areas when that sells out or are they restricted in the amount they can sell ?


Don't know about this specific game, but this is nothing unusual to do, seen this in Twickenham and Edinburgh ticket sales. More stands means slighty higher costs, as you need at least two stewards per block, so you try to pack everyone together in the smallest possible number of blocks. Also adds to the match day experience when you are not the lonesome fan sitting in a huge block.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 28
Joined: Fri, 30 Oct 2015, 09:19
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby cheesus » Fri, 03 Mar 2017, 19:31

frakturfreak wrote:[uI’ve got this answer from the WRA:

https://twitter.com/WRARugby/status/835122085869547520

Robert Mohr will answer such questions in the pre-match press conference before the match against Belgium.


Sadly he didn't say anything about an pro 12 involvement. But in the end, nobody asked...


And to the crowd size, i think there will not be much less in frankfurt/offenbach this time.
Cologne has place for how many fans, 6000?
And offenbach has room for 25000.
I think 4-5000 should at least be there in offenbach. It just looks way less in that stadium.

Still i'm happy, that they move in such stadiums, but also still i'm disappointed from the german rugby fans...there could be at least 10000, if all the fans from maximum 2 hours away would come.
Some are just lazy, but also, i guess, a lot want to have the event in there city and don't grant it to the other cities and for this they stay at home, to make the organisers from the other towns clubs look bad..
Sadly that's how it is with rugby in germany. Many clubs are working against each other, just wanting the best for themselves, not granting anything to the other clubs and not caring about the bigger picture. That's slowing down the progress and if it wasn't for those old farts fighting over there own interests, we would long have a league with provincial teams, to promote the best players of the regions, what was planned a few years ago with the league reform.

But in the end, thats like the release of the french players or the six nations expansion and many other things..

Sadly, the more you get to know the lovely sport of rugby, the more you see, that the proud values, like respect, fairness and equality only exist on the pitch and not on the outside.
Away from the pitch rugby has a really ugly face and it's just about money, power and selfishness.

Maybe one day that will ruin it for me..

User avatar
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun, 28 Feb 2016, 22:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby frakturfreak » Fri, 03 Mar 2017, 20:38

cheesus wrote:
frakturfreak wrote:[uI’ve got this answer from the WRA:

https://twitter.com/WRARugby/status/835122085869547520

Robert Mohr will answer such questions in the pre-match press conference before the match against Belgium.


Sadly he didn't say anything about an pro 12 involvement. But in the end, nobody asked...

Update answer: https://twitter.com/WRARugby/status/837745163132882944

Apperently there is a post on Facebook with an answer. I’m not keen on digging it up right now.

Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2017, 15:43
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby Masochist » Fri, 03 Mar 2017, 20:45

frakturfreak wrote:
cheesus wrote:
frakturfreak wrote:[uI’ve got this answer from the WRA:

https://twitter.com/WRARugby/status/835122085869547520

Robert Mohr will answer such questions in the pre-match press conference before the match against Belgium.


Sadly he didn't say anything about an pro 12 involvement. But in the end, nobody asked...

Update answer: https://twitter.com/WRARugby/status/837745163132882944

Apperently there is a post on Facebook with an answer. I’m not keen on digging it up right now.


I found it: https://www.facebook.com/WildRugbyAcademy/videos/1417367051640907/
Seems like it's a long term option, nothing concrete at all.

Posts: 808
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: German rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 03 Mar 2017, 22:55

Masochist wrote:
frakturfreak wrote:
cheesus wrote:
frakturfreak wrote:[uI’ve got this answer from the WRA:

https://twitter.com/WRARugby/status/835122085869547520

Robert Mohr will answer such questions in the pre-match press conference before the match against Belgium.


Sadly he didn't say anything about an pro 12 involvement. But in the end, nobody asked...

Update answer: https://twitter.com/WRARugby/status/837745163132882944

Apperently there is a post on Facebook with an answer. I’m not keen on digging it up right now.


I found it: https://www.facebook.com/WildRugbyAcademy/videos/1417367051640907/
Seems like it's a long term option, nothing concrete at all.


Could someone provide the talking points for us non German speakers.

Posts: 1582
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: German rugby

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sat, 04 Mar 2017, 07:27

cheesus wrote:
frakturfreak wrote:[uI’ve got this answer from the WRA:

https://twitter.com/WRARugby/status/835122085869547520

Robert Mohr will answer such questions in the pre-match press conference before the match against Belgium.


Sadly he didn't say anything about an pro 12 involvement. But in the end, nobody asked...


And to the crowd size, i think there will not be much less in frankfurt/offenbach this time.
Cologne has place for how many fans, 6000?
And offenbach has room for 25000.
I think 4-5000 should at least be there in offenbach. It just looks way less in that stadium.

Still i'm happy, that they move in such stadiums, but also still i'm disappointed from the german rugby fans...there could be at least 10000, if all the fans from maximum 2 hours away would come.
Some are just lazy, but also, i guess, a lot want to have the event in there city and don't grant it to the other cities and for this they stay at home, to make the organisers from the other towns clubs look bad..
Sadly that's how it is with rugby in germany. Many clubs are working against each other, just wanting the best for themselves, not granting anything to the other clubs and not caring about the bigger picture. That's slowing down the progress and if it wasn't for those old farts fighting over there own interests, we would long have a league with provincial teams, to promote the best players of the regions, what was planned a few years ago with the league reform.

But in the end, thats like the release of the french players or the six nations expansion and many other things..

Sadly, the more you get to know the lovely sport of rugby, the more you see, that the proud values, like respect, fairness and equality only exist on the pitch and not on the outside.
Away from the pitch rugby has a really ugly face and it's just about money, power and selfishness.

Maybe one day that will ruin it for me..


Yeah this is disppointing for the Offenbach game that fans in the general area won't come, though great to see again the good news for Cologne. I wish today's game was the one in Cologne! I have flown across from Japan and am coming down to the game from Dusseldorf so that's one more for the total :D I hope there is ticket selling at the ground as didn't go online since I knew the stadium wouldn't sell out. Not holding my breath but would be nice if some German team merchandise was also on sale at the ground. If anyone wants to meet up for a drink after the game look out for the guy in the All Blacks sweater with a black cap and one Japanese script written in orange (it's the script for wolf, as in a certain Japanese Super Rugby team :D )

C'mon Deutschland!

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Armchair Fan, Bing [Bot], Bogdan_DC, DRL, Google Adsense [Bot], Hinato, STMKY, Thomas and 14 guests