Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

German rugby

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby cheesus » Wed, 22 Mar 2017, 13:32

Um im kommenden Jahr eine Chance auf eine Qualifikation für die kommende WM zu haben, wird es für die DRV XV weiter darum gehen müssen, die Tiefe im Kader zu verbessern. Deshalb ist das angedachte Freundschafts-Heimspiel im Sommer, sowie die potenzielle Tour der DRV XV nach Kenia genau das richtige Mittel.

http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/8827/37/

So how i read it, there will be a game against kenia in germany this summer. And perhaps one return match in kenia as well, but that is not sure yet.

Postby DRL » Wed, 22 Mar 2017, 16:28

cheesus wrote:
Um im kommenden Jahr eine Chance auf eine Qualifikation für die kommende WM zu haben, wird es für die DRV XV weiter darum gehen müssen, die Tiefe im Kader zu verbessern. Deshalb ist das angedachte Freundschafts-Heimspiel im Sommer, sowie die potenzielle Tour der DRV XV nach Kenia genau das richtige Mittel.

So how i read it, there will be a game against kenia in germany this summer. And perhaps one return match in kenia as well, but that is not sure yet.

There will be a possible Friendly this summer. No mention of the oponent. And a potential tour to Kenya.
So there is nothing confirmed for this summer in german rugby.
Last year they played a friendly in La Rochelle in August. Could be the same kind of match.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 15:15

Raven wrote:
Canalina wrote:A friend of a friend of mine is moving to the Stuttgart district to study and was searching for a club to keep playing. May you give him some suggestions about? I don't know which is his playing level and I don't know where exactly he is going to be based

There´s a relatively big University in Tübingen, close to Stuttgart -one could say Stuttgart area-, and they also have a team (used to be a University side but now it´s a proper Rugby Club), and only 30 minutes away from Stuttgart you have Pforzheim, home of the current champions that also have a 2nd side playing in the German Leagues.

Thanks Raven and RugbyLiebe, your suggestions have been delivered. I think that boy will choose Tubingen, because close to the town (Tailfingen) where he is going to stay

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 15:38

DRL wrote:
cheesus wrote:

There will be a possible Friendly this summer. No mention of the oponent. And a potential tour to Kenya.
So there is nothing confirmed for this summer in german rugby.
Last year they played a friendly in La Rochelle in August. Could be the same kind of match.

Fantastic. It would be lovely to host the Germans in Nairobi. We have some of the best hotels in Eastern Africa, plus our reputation for good hospitality is known worldwide. :) The only thing you will have to contend with is the Nairobi traffic from the airport to the Hotel. Otherwise, all the rest is good. :) After the game, the DRV team can get to tour the maasai mara. One of the 7 wonders of the world. :thumbup: :P Can't wait to watch the Germans play in Kenya.
One reminder though, remember we rarely loose in Nairobi. Ask the Portuguese and the Spanish. :) ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFmYfBX6Xbw&t=5971s

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 15:50

The link is in German. Is there anyone with an English version? kindly assist. Thanks

Postby DRL » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 16:17

Neptune wrote:The link is in German. Is there anyone with an English version? kindly assist. Thanks

Basicly what i said before:
"There will be a possible Friendly this summer. No mention of the oponent. And a potential tour to Kenya. "

But today WorldRugby announced the June fixtures. No match for Germany against Kenya or someone else.
http://www.worldrugby.org/pnc/news/233396

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 16:31

DRL wrote:
Neptune wrote:The link is in German. Is there anyone with an English version? kindly assist. Thanks

Basicly what i said before:
"There will be a possible Friendly this summer. No mention of the oponent. And a potential tour to Kenya. "

But today WorldRugby announced the June fixtures. No match for Germany against Kenya or someone else.
http://www.worldrugby.org/pnc/news/233396

Our match is scheduled for May, not June.

Postby Raven » Fri, 24 Mar 2017, 09:04

Canalina wrote:
Raven wrote:
Canalina wrote:A friend of a friend of mine is moving to the Stuttgart district to study and was searching for a club to keep playing. May you give him some suggestions about? I don't know which is his playing level and I don't know where exactly he is going to be based

There´s a relatively big University in Tübingen, close to Stuttgart -one could say Stuttgart area-, and they also have a team (used to be a University side but now it´s a proper Rugby Club), and only 30 minutes away from Stuttgart you have Pforzheim, home of the current champions that also have a 2nd side playing in the German Leagues.

Thanks Raven and RugbyLiebe, your suggestions have been delivered. I think that boy will choose Tubingen, because close to the town (Tailfingen) where he is going to stay

No problem. If his standard is high he might want to try Rottweil too (as the place where he will be staying is also close to that club) they play in 2.Bundesliga, current leaders of the group.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Sun, 26 Mar 2017, 09:04

I've seen on totalrugby.de the squads of 1. Bundesliga teams, and I've noticed there are many many outsiders playing there. Does these guys come to play rugby, with a small amount of money (as there is in Fédérale 2, Fédérale 3 in France); or is it only guys who lives in Germany for work and have a good rugby level ?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 26 Mar 2017, 18:31

@vino: many reasons
1. Germany is an Immigration country with many people moving here. Especially high qualified foreigners, who tend to play a bit of rugby. + the less qualified who get way better jobs here than at home (a lot of the Romanians here). Both groups enjoy to play on their free-time.

2. Some teams do pay a small amount. But that's more likely just a little plus.

3. The most important thing: education is free in Germany and this includes universities. Everybody with half a brain and german language skills moves here to get education within the top level in the world for free - if they manage to beat the biggest hurdle: our complicated language.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby myth » Sun, 26 Mar 2017, 18:40

RugbyLiebe wrote:@vino: many reasons
1. Germany is an Immigration country with many people moving here. Especially high qualified foreigners, who tend to play a bit of rugby. + the less qualified who get way better jobs here than at home (a lot of the Romanians here). Both groups enjoy to play on their free-time.

3. The most important thing: education is free in Germany and this includes universities. Everybody with half a brain and german language skills moves here to get education within the top level in the world for free - if they manage to beat the biggest hurdle: our complicated language.
hä?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 26 Mar 2017, 18:52

if they manage to beat the biggest hurdle: our complicated language.

oh yeah, I tried for one year and nichts :lol:
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 06:44

myth wrote:hä?

:roll:
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 06:49

RugbyLiebe wrote:@vino: many reasons

Really? I've known people who have went from knowing exactly no German to being fluent conversationally in six months. All from English speaking backgrounds. The general consensus is that as English is largely derived from both German and French based dialects that it is generally easier for an English speaker to acquire. Or so I have been told.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 07:11

Working Class Rugger wrote:Really? I've known people who have went from knowing exactly no German to being fluent conversationally in six months. All from English speaking backgrounds. The general consensus is that as English is largely derived from both German and French based dialects that it is generally easier for an English speaker to acquire. Or so I have been told.

Depends on the people. In 6 months you should speak any language fluent conversationally. Actually it is extremely easy for English speakers to reach that level in German as you can translate every word literally and every German will understand you. The grammar mistakes english make sound like their dialect to german native speakers.

Thing is: will you be able to go to university with this language skill level after 6 months? Some do manage that as well.
I know people living in Germany for five or more years who basically still speak no German. It is really easy to settle here in your "Expat-world".

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 07:33

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:Really? I've known people who have went from knowing exactly no German to being fluent conversationally in six months. All from English speaking backgrounds. The general consensus is that as English is largely derived from both German and French based dialects that it is generally easier for an English speaker to acquire. Or so I have been told.

Depends on the people. In 6 months you should speak any language fluent conversationally. Actually it is extremely easy for English speakers to reach that level in German as you can translate every word literally and every German will understand you. The grammar mistakes english make sound like their dialect to german native speakers.

Thing is: will you be able to go to university with this language skill level after 6 months? Some do manage that as well.
I know people living in Germany for five or more years who basically still speak no German. It is really easy to settle here in your "Expat-world".

We have similar demograpghics here. People who have lived here for decades but speak practically no English. I don't get it. I'm all for immigration as I tend to believe homogeneity leads to stagnation and people of differing cultures and backgrounds only enrich your society but I also believe in integration. Which not learning the local language tends to negate. I don't see the point if you cannpt properly engage with the wider community outside of your own diaspora.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 07:50

I guess it depends: are you talking 6 months intensive immersion and full time language classes, or 6 months of going to evening classes once a week (or 6 months of duolinguo!)? The former should get you to a decent level in any language, the latter will give you very little.

No language is easy, but some of them can be inherently a lot harder than others (a language without noun gender is generally easier than an otherwise similar one with 3 genders (like German does)), and languages whose grammatical rules are simple and have few or no exceptions (Italian) tend to be easier than those whose rules are arbitrary, inconsistent and/or non-existent (English). It also depends on your language background - Italian will probably be easier for Spanish speakers because the two languages are very similar, whilst Swedish speakers will probably find German easier, again, because of similarities). Plus, there's issues of text - I understand that spoken Mandarin is relatively easy to pick up; the reason it's considered very difficult is because of the 40,000+ characters in the written text. Yet another factor has nothing to do with the language itself, and that's the availability of resources and practice opportunities - English is obviously the king in this regard, despite having some features that make it very difficult for learners; by contrast, e.g. as I understand it there has only ever been 1 feature-length film made in Scots Gaelic, wheras in English there are hundreds of thousands.

There is also a certain amount of personal preference - some people just won't like the "sound" of a language, compared to others, and the most important thing about learning any language is having the proper motivation to do so - any language you have a genuine desire to learn will be easier than one that you've picked up just because you've been told it's easy.

The consensus among language teachers seems to be that, for native English speakers, German is harder than French, Spanish or Italian, but certainly easier than languages like Russian, Polish, or Hungarian.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby mulu » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 07:51

guys, aren't we way off topic here?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 07:55

Working Class Rugger wrote:We have similar demograpghics here. People who have lived here for decades but speak practically no English. I don't get it. I'm all for immigration as I tend to believe homogeneity leads to stagnation and people of differing cultures and backgrounds only enrich your society but I also believe in integration. Which not learning the local language tends to negate. I don't see the point if you cannpt properly engage with the wider community outside of your own diaspora.

I don't disagree with this, but I can't help but wonder how many Anglo-Celtic migrants to Australia felt the same way about the Aboriginal languages? It was a different age, I know, but sometimes it's easy to say what other people should do.

I'm a native speaker of a "native" minority language, so I do tend to see these things from a very different perspective.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 08:46

Figaro wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:We have similar demograpghics here. People who have lived here for decades but speak practically no English. I don't get it. I'm all for immigration as I tend to believe homogeneity leads to stagnation and people of differing cultures and backgrounds only enrich your society but I also believe in integration. Which not learning the local language tends to negate. I don't see the point if you cannpt properly engage with the wider community outside of your own diaspora.

I don't disagree with this, but I can't help but wonder how many Anglo-Celtic migrants to Australia felt the same way about the Aboriginal languages? It was a different age, I know, but sometimes it's easy to say what other people should do.

I'm a native speaker of a "native" minority language, so I do tend to see these things from a very different perspective.

Which language? There were more than 500 different distinct indigenous languages when colonists arrived. None of them with the requisite number of native speakers to be considered the dominant, logical language. Even in the local area where the Sydney colony was established. There were half a dozen different indigenous cultures within a 50km radius.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 08:55

Let me remind you this essay ;)

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 09:07

Working Class Rugger wrote:Which language? There were more than 500 different distinct indigenous languages when colonists arrived. None of them with the requisite number of native speakers to be considered the dominant, logical language. Even in the local area where the Sydney colony was established. There were half a dozen different indigenous cultures within a 50km radius.

What's the "requisite number" of speakers, and who decides what that number is? It looks to me though like European Australians behaved pretty much like European colonists did everywhere else, including plenty of places where there was a single widespread local language, so this seems like a post-fact rationalization to me rather than a good excuse for what happened.

I've no doubt there was a lot of diversity but that doesn't seem to me to provide carte blanche for the colonists to ignore them all; if anything it should have led to a heightened sense of the fragility of the local situation and of the sensitivity it called for - at least, that's how you'd hope people would behave today.

That said, I don't think there's any need to make excuses for the behavior of our ancestors. As I said, it was a different age. The point I'm trying to make is that we should be careful about saying how people who are not like us "should" act. It's very easy for people who are of the dominant race/culture/language to say what people who aren't should do.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 10:49

I did German at high school for 6 months and picked it up relatively easily. Then never used it again and forgot like 90% of it, lol.

As for English, it's estimated about 30-35% of all English words are derivative of French, this is due to French rule of England between 1000-1300 when it was the official language. The rest of English is actually a mixture of other Germanic, Celtic and Latin languages. In fact English is by far the most adaptable language in the world and has a habit of taking words from just about any language. Even though there's only about 500 million native speakers it's estimated about 2.5 billion people speak it fluently as a second language. Highly recommend the book 'The Adventures of English', interesting history of the language.

Danke mein deutscher rugby freunde!

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 11:52

thatrugbyguy wrote:Danke mein deutscher rugby freunde!

You are welcome. Even after you just made about 4-5 grammar mistakes in this small sentence and nobody knows if you are talking to one or multiple persons :D
But the sense comes across and you did the right thing.

Use the language. And that's great. I know so many English-speaking guys who stay in their comfort zone and end up living in a country where they don't understand the language. And it is always the English natives.

French, Italians, Romanians or whereever from do quite fine and normally learn fluent German within half a year or less. But they have the heavy advantage that next to nobody will speak to them in their language ;)

Btt.: German rugby profits a lot from students and immigrants from rugby playing countries. I think I played in Munich together with guys from all 2015 world-cup-participants apart from Tonga and Samoa, but I played with one Cookie Islander so that's a bonus.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 27 Mar 2017, 12:48

thatrugbyguy wrote:

I did German at high school for 6 months and picked it up relatively easily. Then never used it again and forgot like 90% of it, lol.

As for English, it's estimated about 30-35% of all English words are derivative of French, this is due to French rule of England between 1000-1300 when it was the official language. The rest of English is actually a mixture of other Germanic, Celtic and Latin languages. In fact English is by far the most adaptable language in the world and has a habit of taking words from just about any language. Even though there's only about 500 million native speakers it's estimated about 2.5 billion people speak it fluently as a second language. Highly recommend the book 'The Adventures of English', interesting history of the language.

Danke mein deutscher rugby freunde!

My kid brother is a fan of this rather apt piece of satire 'English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and rummages through their pockets for loose grammar'.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum