Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

German rugby

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 09:03

Blurandski wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:So if they are no longer professionals then what the hell happens if Germany somehow qualify for the World Cup?

Same as other non-professional players, they'll take leave. What's Germany's payment scene like? Are there clubs that can hire a player or two as full-time coaches or the like?

Some, but it doesn't need to be full-time. Just a little payment and a part-time job. Who wouldn't keep that up for the dream of a World Cup participation. I mean you know if you go there or not in November. I don't know the details, but most of the player's should get unemployment benefits for the next 3 months (maybe even 6, I'm not sure as I was never unemployed).

Also don't forget that World Rugby gives a lot of money if you qualify. All teams prepare 2 or even 3 months together before the RWC. So for this RWC-qualification it doesn't matter. What's happening afterwards is a different story.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 09:23

So here we are:
http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/9493/37/

Wild told the player's that he stops the investments in German Rugby because of the disqualification of the HRK for the Challenge Cup. Both the WRA and the GfR will be dissolved. To be fair, I see where he is coming from. Years of investments, than manage the qualification for a proper European cup and then you get a big bitch-slap by the rugby administratives, because they lack any Fingerspitzengefühl.

Well done EPCR, well done.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 09:44

So Wild will drop everything he worked on so he can go and have some fun in paris? I hope whatever structures emerge afterwards are more sustainable. Sounds like he was warned and thought he could just do what he wanted.

I seriously doubt many of the players will stick around, and I am sure many wont play for Germany anymore. They have careers to think of, and many will probably struggle to get released if they go to france.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 09:47

RugbyLiebe wrote:So here we are:
http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/9493/37/

Wild told the player's that he stops the investments in German Rugby because of the disqualification of the HRK for the Challenge Cup. Both the WRA and the GfR will be dissolved. To be fair, I see where he is coming from. Years of investments, than manage the qualification for a proper European cup and then you get a big bitch-slap by the rugby administratives, because they lack any Fingerspitzengefühl.

Well done EPCR, well done.

Why are you blaming EPCR? They have a rule, they seem to have pro-actively communicated it and wild ignored them. Seems to have behaved in the same way as per the DRV negotiations.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 09:50

Now I hope Portugal wins. Sorry bout that.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 09:54

DragonMike wrote:
Why are you blaming EPCR? They have a rule, they seem to have pro-actively communicated it and wild ignored them. Seems to have behaved in the same way as per the DRV negotiations.

This might sound strange, but I 100% agree but also disagree with you.
My point is that, apart from all the shenanigans we've seen in the last year with Wild, the EPCR still wasted a huge chance to get into a new market. I mean what was Wild supposed to really do about it? He never owned the HRK...
Why not issue a one/two-year-allowance and make sure they are not in the same group? The EPCR were stubborn and short-sighted and that's what I blame them for.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby CM » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 09:56

So wild has a new toy and throws his old toy away.
That's why rugby shouldn't be a plaything for some billionaires. As soon as not everyone jumps when he tells them to jump it is over.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 09:58

CM wrote:So wild has a new toy and throws his old toy away.
That's why rugby shouldn't be a plaything for some billionaires. As soon as not everyone jumps when he tells them to jump it is over.

I agree. Blaming EPCR is the easy way out of this. I wonder if his decision from November has anything to do with the fact that EPCR discussed with him last year about HRK's prospects in Challenge Cup

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 10:02

DragonMike wrote:So Wild will drop everything he worked on so he can go and have some fun in paris? I hope whatever structures emerge afterwards are more sustainable. Sounds like he was warned and thought he could just do what he wanted.

I seriously doubt many of the players will stick around, and I am sure many wont play for Germany anymore. They have careers to think of, and many will probably struggle to get released if they go to france.

We are talking about 2 games in June (a month were they apparently are still employed for, if I understand the article right) one game in July at home and 3 in November in an international test window. And all for the once in a life-time chance of playing in a World Cup. I'm slightly optimistic, that we have a competitive team for the Qualification and for a World Cup.

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 10:17

EPCR just wasted an investor in a new market...
Most of the players will now return to South Africa or return to amateur rugby.

Postby Raven » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 12:01

A good interview to get a bit more input on behalf of Wild.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/mehr-s ... 39530.html

For the pessimists out there, German Rugby isn´t dead, it just needs to mutate if it intends to keep competing at a certain level. It won´t be easy and certainly with a guy like Wild one could expect things to grow and develop faster, but many countries have succeeded with less resources.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 12:42

The question then is are there other potential investors out there willing to take over what was started. If a solution isn’t found quickly German Rugby risks regressing and all that work in helping professionalise will be for nothing. Is there any chance of adopting similar programs to Uruguay and Hong Kong with giving contracts to the national team players?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 12:48

Raven wrote:A good interview to get a bit more input on behalf of Wild.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/mehr-s ... 39530.html

So most of the Wild players are being paid until december according to this interview.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 12:58

Like Rugbyliebe said before, T1 is teaching the hard way T2/3 countries. If you take the facts is not unfair, but if you take the facts in comparison you will find all the mitigating factors applied for T1 and and all the worst scenarios applied to the rest.

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 19:56

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/mehr-s ... ageIndex_0
Astonishing interview of HP Wild. German rugby is dead.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 20:17

olivier wrote:http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/mehr-sport/rugby-foerderer-hans-peter-wild-stellt-zahlung-ein-15639530.html?printPagedArticle=true#pageIndex_0
Astonishing interview of HP Wild. German rugby is dead.

Lets not be overdramatic idiots. Their 7s team is on the verge of qualifying for the 7WSs, and their league all of a sudden is actually competitive, and the German Union no longer has it's affaires treated as a rich man's plaything.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 20:35

20 million spent and his club still failed to win the championship against some amateurs last year. Pretty poor results. MLR is doing way more in the US for way smaller losses.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 20:51

olivier wrote:EPCR just wasted an investor in a new market...
Most of the players will now return to South Africa or return to amateur rugby.

Come on, many if of them are good enough to play pro (or if not pro, payed) rugby in Fédérale 1 or 2. And the bests can hope for Pro D2.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Sat, 16 Jun 2018, 18:37

The interview shows what kind of guy that man is. Full of himself, glad he's gone.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Sun, 17 Jun 2018, 00:41

Congratulations Germany, I'm rooting for a shock upset....

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Thu, 28 Jun 2018, 08:48

Given the EPCR statement today, it seems that Wild needed to get approval from the FFR, DRV and World Rugby for Stade Francais and HRk to play in the challenge cup.

So the question: Did one of these bodies not provide approval, or did the WRA not do it's homework? It is clear from the EPCR statement that they knew in advance.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 28 Jun 2018, 09:21

DragonMike wrote:Given the EPCR statement today, it seems that Wild needed to get approval from the FFR, DRV and World Rugby for Stade Francais and HRk to play in the challenge cup.

So the question: Did one of these bodies not provide approval, or did the WRA not do it's homework? It is clear from the EPCR statement that they knew in advance.

Which statement are you talking about? Haven't seen aynthing released today (yet).

If you mean this one: https://www.epcrugby.com/2018/06/07/sta ... lenge-cup/

That's three weeks old and a joke. How is the IRFU not an entity?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Thu, 28 Jun 2018, 11:56

sorry, you are right, quite old.

But the point stands - control of multiple entities is allowed where written consent from all unions of the owned entities and World Rugby would allow participation.

So in the case of Gloucester/Montpellier, a body hasn't provided permission?

In the Irish case, the union itself can dispense this Authorisation, so they only need World Rugby permission.

Obviously without the participation agreement of EPCR it is hard to say if the wording is exactly the same.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 28 Jun 2018, 18:18

Altrad was blocked from buying Gloucester by Premiership Rugby not by EPRC, it never got that far.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby CM » Fri, 06 Jul 2018, 07:21

So the DRT is coming up.
Any news on the candidates or other things coming up?
This could be another messy meeting.

I just hope that we don't get a full slate of pro or of anti wild candidates elected, but a bit of a mix.
What are your hopes and Fears?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum