Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

German rugby

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 13 Aug 2018, 12:02

Gnadental wrote:Hi,

Anybody know the actual playing sequence for the Repechage yet and where/ when tickets can be bought?

G

They are waiting for Africa2 before the finalize the final schedule.
The afaik double-headers will be "on Sunday 11 November, Saturday 17 November and Friday 23 November, 2018."
https://www.worldrugby.org/news/348467

No idea about tickets.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Mon, 13 Aug 2018, 13:52

I would assume -- though I may be very wrong -- that tickets shouldn't be hard to get. Wikipedia says it can fit around 5000 fans.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby DragonMike » Tue, 14 Aug 2018, 11:29

Gorbeh wrote:Yes, it is decent, but have you accounted for the difference in purchasing power? Luxembourg is just very expensive. The PPP GDP per capita of Luxembourg is 109,192 USD compared to 61,360 USD Switzerland, 59,495 USD USA, 50,206 USD Germany, 43,550 USD France and 10,644 USD Georgia in 2017 according to the IMF.

Hence 2,000 EUR are way below the poverty line in Luxembourg.

Edit: And 43,620 USD for the UK in 2017.

its not like they actually have to live in Luxembourg.... Trier and Metz are just 45 minutes away.

Postby Raven » Wed, 15 Aug 2018, 08:46

I know it´s not a major issue, but I find quite annoying (partly due to my anxiousness) that:

- It´s still not clear if the Berlin Grizzlies will take part of the next 1.Bundesliga (not even going deep in the fact that they leave a pool with 7 teams, and the feeder 2.Bl´s have 5 & 6 sides / as opposed to the South pyramid)

- Regionalliga BaWü is still unconfirmed, with constant rumors of teams puling out and wanting to join.

- VL Nord which was a 10 team league last season was divided into 2 pools, one already confirmed with 7 teams in it, and the other one is still pending as apparently 2 teams had already decided to join the Dutch system, because they took so long to finally divide it...

German rugby, two steps forward, one step back!

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby CM » Wed, 15 Aug 2018, 10:30

Re: VL Nord, werlte will join the Dutch system, mainly because they don't have enough players to play 15s alone and the next club is in the Netherlands. What other club wants to follow them?
And the division which apparently isn't finished in the north, is the northeast around Hamburg, far away from the Netherlands.
And I love it, that they have split up the VL Nord. Makes so much sense. I don't get why Bavaria is moving away from it though.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 14:34

Do you think the national side has gained sufficient experience and education with their battle against Samoa in previous round? Enough to see off Hong Kong, Canada, Namibia/Kenya.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 14:59

Tomster7uk wrote:Do you think the national side has gained sufficient experience and education with their battle against Samoa in previous round? Enough to see off Hong Kong, Canada, Namibia/Kenya.

If they got some, they gained the experience in the Challenge Cup Qualifier and in the years before in the November internationals and the REC 2016+2017. Samoa was a nice bonus. We beat Kenya in Nairobi last year in a really close game, HK is the big question mark, as we've only played them before both nations had more professional setups. Canada is the heavy favourite without a doubt. I think it is gonna be a great tournament and if the luck is on our side for three games in a row, we might make it. But if I would make the odds I would say 70% Canada and 10% each of the other participants.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 15:16

Is the stadium in the background where Heidelberger RK play? It's a beautiful looking pitch.

https://twitter.com/RGHRugby/status/1029823870264647682

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby cheesus » Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 15:54

Tobar wrote:Is the stadium in the background where Heidelberger RK play? It's a beautiful looking pitch.

No, thats the pitch of RG Heidelberg, the neighbours of HRK.
HRK is located directly next to it. They have a nice artificial pitch, but no stands.

Postby Rugby7 » Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 20:42

Tobar wrote:Is the stadium in the background where Heidelberger RK play? It's a beautiful looking pitch.
In the background of the first sequence you see a house with "Capri Sun" advertising behind the bushes. That's the Heidelberger RK rugby club house. It's just on the other side of the road.
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.3914971,8.6689906,294m/data=!3m1!1e3

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 20:43

Yuck, artificial pitch. Still nice to see a rugby club with its own pitch, I just would've guessed that HRK had the bigger stadium.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Gorbeh » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 10:02

Raven wrote:- It´s still not clear if the Berlin Grizzlies will take part of the next 1.Bundesliga (not even going deep in the fact that they leave a pool with 7 teams, and the feeder 2.Bl´s have 5 & 6 sides / as opposed to the South pyramid)

- Regionalliga BaWü is still unconfirmed, with constant rumors of teams puling out and wanting to join.

It seems like RC Berlin Grizzlies received their license, as they are now listed as member of the 1. Bundesliga North-East according to rugbyweb.de .
RL BaWü is still pending, though.

Tobar wrote:Yuck, artificial pitch. Still nice to see a rugby club with its own pitch, I just would've guessed that HRK had the bigger stadium.

It is not unusual for German Rugby Clubs to have their own pitch, even for lower league teams. They seldom have a grand stand though, as the RGH has.

Postby Raven » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 10:12

CM wrote:Re: VL Nord, werlte will join the Dutch system, mainly because they don't have enough players to play 15s alone and the next club is in the Netherlands. What other club wants to follow them?
And the division which apparently isn't finished in the north, is the northeast around Hamburg, far away from the Netherlands.
And I love it, that they have split up the VL Nord. Makes so much sense. I don't get why Bavaria is moving away from it though.

I was given the wrong info. You are right, only Sparta will leave to the Dutch System, I had been told Cloppenburg also wanted to join them (as those teams have played together before) but they are still a SG with Bremen, so that won´t happen.

Don´t know how many teams will be playing in the VL Nord Nord-Ost; I believe 5 (if we take into consideration the teams that played last season and only 1 new one I have heard of) Hamburger RC, St Pauli III, RSG M-V, Jesteburg Exiles, SG Ham. Exiles/HSV -who also have an SG side in the RL-

Yeah, I have ranted a bit on this thread about the new VL Bayern format...

I don´t know if this is official, as I haven´t seen any "press release" nor statement, but the Grizzlies seem to have been added (at least by rugbyweb) in the 1.Bundesliga Nord/Ost again.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Werner » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 10:25

Gorbeh wrote:RL BaWü is still pending, though.
In Baden-Württemberg the schedule is being worked on.

Gorbeh wrote:It seems like RC Berlin Grizzlies received their license, as they are now listed as member of the 1. Bundesliga North-East according to rugbyweb.de .
https://www.facebook.com/rugbybundesliga

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 14:50

Gorbeh wrote:
Tobar wrote:Yuck, artificial pitch. Still nice to see a rugby club with its own pitch, I just would've guessed that HRK had the bigger stadium.

It is not unusual for German Rugby Clubs to have their own pitch, even for lower league teams. They seldom have a grand stand though, as the RGH has.

It's not very common here in the US unless you happen to live in a place like Texas where there's tons of land. In NYC we barely have any space and 90% of the rugby games take place on Randall's Island, a public park that is on an island in between Harlem and Astoria. It's actually rather nice since there are close to 100 fields for soccer, baseball rugby, etc. but it's really inconvenient to get there and the island is also shared with fire/police academies, a wastewater treatment plant and some homeless shelters and psychiatric hospitals. All the regulation fields are also turf.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 19:39

Tobar wrote:
Gorbeh wrote:

It's not very common here in the US unless you happen to live in a place like Texas where there's tons of land. In NYC we barely have any space and 90% of the rugby games take place on Randall's Island, a public park that is on an island in between Harlem and Astoria. It's actually rather nice since there are close to 100 fields for soccer, baseball rugby, etc. but it's really inconvenient to get there and the island is also shared with fire/police academies, a wastewater treatment plant and some homeless shelters and psychiatric hospitals. All the regulation fields are also turf.

For the most part American Rugby Clubs the vast majority of clubs in the US are less than 50 years old. It's interesting that clubs like NYRC and NYAC who are some of the oldest don't have their own pitch. It's a weird phenomenon, as you go to BC most clubs have their own pitch and a full clubhouse with seating to watch the match. The only organizations I've truly seen own land is Little League.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 18 Aug 2018, 15:08

NYAC rugby was formed in 1973 but the club itself has been around since the 1800’s. AFAIK they own their facilities on Travers Island.

As for NYRC, well, if you knew how scarce the available land is in NYC then it wouldn’t be that surprising. We’ve been around since the 1920s so I guess it is surprising that they weren’t able to grab anything back when no one would even consider going to go to a place like Williamsburg (now it’s one of the most popular places to live in the outer boroughs).

Could you imagine if they bought a plot of land downtown near Union Square and put some bleachers/stands in? Now THAT would be awesome.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 02:15

So Mike Ford is working for the DRV now?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Gorbeh » Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 10:44

For those interested. The following pictures give an overview over the top three tiers of German rugby for the season 2018-19.

P.S.: No idea how I can change the size of the images. Sorry.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Gnadental » Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 10:47

TheStroBro wrote:So Mike Ford is working for the DRV now?

Where did you hear that?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 21:22

Gnadental wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:So Mike Ford is working for the DRV now?

Where did you hear that?

I heard about it a few weeks ago as I was on the trail trying to find out why he left Dallas.

http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/9567/37/

Postby 4N » Sun, 19 Aug 2018, 22:27

So Lemoine is leaving or what?

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 09:04

Has a lot of experience at both club and international rugby, he implemented quite ambitious rugby while at Bath but I'd imagine he'd go a touch simpler with the shorter working periods available to him here.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby therugbycoach » Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 14:28

I heard a few weeks back Mike Ford wanted to go Back to Rugby league and was looking at Wigan..so was Sean (shaun) Edwards who apparently is going there after WC.

I have heard in the past that Mike Ford is hard to work with, has very good idea etc but can upset people easy.

One reason he wasnt kept at Toulon and that he didnt speak French either I Guess, But a Guy with his pedigree should have been offered some decent jobs in UK etc. unless there is a problem.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby CM » Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 15:12

The totalrugby.de article cites this forum for the rumour. So we shouldn't cite the article as a confirmation or it gets cyclical.

But according to the article there hasn't been yet a confirmation, but also no denial. So maybe there is something to it.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum