Re: German rugby

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sun, 04 Nov 2018, 14:00

LETTERING | IMAGING on RWC jersey are very limited

DRV probably intends to do this at REC 2019

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 09:55

Article in The Guardian (major UK newspaper) about Wild and German rugby.

Someone who has access could maybe post a link back this this thread in the comments section.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... -cup-dream

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby oldprussians » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 11:14

Bonkers.. weird VW BWM Mercedes all Sponsor Rugby but not in their own Fatherland.. sad. Germany could be a big fish..breaks my heart. ..but not as much as child poverty world wide.. Bolsonaro cutting down the amazon...the forest not the shop nerds..;-)

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 11:15

Complete soap opera this Wild - HRK - DRV relationship. So Mr Wild will continue with:

A) Stade Francais
B) HRK
C) DRV
D) none of them
E) all of them
F) combinations of letters above

The answer will come after repechage tournament i'm guessing.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 11:41

oldprussians wrote:Bonkers.. weird VW BWM Mercedes all Sponsor Rugby but not in their own Fatherland.. sad. Germany could be a big fish..breaks my heart. ..but not as much as child poverty world wide.. Bolsonaro cutting down the amazon...the forest not the shop nerds..;-)

My bet is DHL will put all their money from Canada in Germany if Canada fails to qualify for RWC.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 11:43

jservuk wrote:Article in The Guardian (major UK newspaper) about Wild and German rugby.

Someone who has access could maybe post a link back this this thread in the comments section.

Reading the comments there's very little actual discussion there worth putting the link in.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 12:25

oldprussians wrote:Bonkers.. weird VW BWM Mercedes all Sponsor Rugby but not in their own Fatherland.. sad. Germany could be a big fish..breaks my heart. ..but not as much as child poverty world wide.. Bolsonaro cutting down the amazon...the forest not the shop nerds..;-)

BMW does only sponsor sports with the right target audience. So only golf, tennis, sailing and rugby (apparently they are now in talks to buy shares of Bayern Munich, which would be a huge change of policy)
Obviously the rugby audience in Germany is too small too put money in. Same goes for VW and Mercedes. They don't sponsor for charity. Everything else is wishful thinking.

Armchair Fan wrote:My bet is DHL will put all their money from Canada in Germany if Canada fails to qualify for RWC.

Not sure if this is connected at all. The marketing budgets between the North American market and the European/German one are probably not connected. But not totally unlikely that they pull their money out of Canada.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby Raven » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 13:49

oldprussians wrote:Bonkers.. weird VW BWM Mercedes all Sponsor Rugby but not in their own Fatherland.. sad.

Don´t forget Adidas that came in only for a few games and left again...I have to admit I like what Macron does with the catallogue of all their teams.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 16:54

jservuk wrote:Article in The Guardian (major UK newspaper) about Wild and German rugby.

The article gets it completely wrong, Wild never has owned HRK. He's given them money, but he doesn't own them.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 20:57

The business in each country will operate it's own strategy according to target market , and demographics.

It also sometimes comes down to who is in charge in any region. The most striking example being the guy who headed up Gillette in the UK being an avid Rugby League fan, which lead to Gillette sponsoring that sport.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 08 Nov 2018, 21:06

It depends on each company. Some divide business by regions, others give greater freedom to each country... I remember a particular case in Spain with a global company asking their national division to erase all their logos from our national team shirt because they don't engage with teams but competitions, yet the sponsorship deal stood up and they've been loyal to Spanish Rugby Union.

I mentioned DHL because somebody in Spanish rugby forum contacted them when FER flirted with bankrupcy and instead of getting a typical PR answer (we will study it, bla, bla, bla) they were quite candid about how important it was that the teams they sponsor take part in RWC. I presume deals like the ones they've got with Canada are part of a greater activation plan deriving from their RWC corporate deal.

Anyway, you're right in saying sponsorship depends a lot on who's leading companies. I've worked for some and basically the guy in power told they were going to invest in some sport and then marketing guys with no clue contracted PR and marketing agencies to magically try to make something out of it. I remember cases where they spent 5 or 6 millions in one sponsorship deal and in the end, the biggest exposure was given by the one they had been neglecting for 20 years at 1/3 of the cost.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Fri, 09 Nov 2018, 00:16

jservuk wrote:

The business in each country will operate it's own strategy according to target market , and demographics.

It also sometimes comes down to who is in charge in any region. The most striking example being the guy who headed up Gillette in the UK being an avid Rugby League fan, which lead to Gillette sponsoring that sport.

Waitrose was the main jersey sponsor of Reading FC because the MD's son was a Reading FC fan*.

*and it turned out to be absurdly cheap, because they went up to the Premier League the next season.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Fri, 09 Nov 2018, 12:16

Blurandski wrote:
jservuk wrote:

Waitrose was the main jersey sponsor of Reading FC because the MD's son was a Reading FC fan*.

*and it turned out to be absurdly cheap, because they went up to the Premier League the next season.

That figures; I've a perception that "posh" brands, or City finance firms of the Old Boys Networks type tend to favour Rugby in the UK for sponsorship over football. I think most premier league clubs have more international brands sponsoring them over UK based companies, whereas I think RU has many more British brands sponsoring. I might be wrong, and I can't be bothered to research this, but it's my perception.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 16 Nov 2018, 11:51

The repechage is actually making some waves now.

The ZDF (kind of a 2nd German BBC) will show highlights of the game on sunday, which is a first.
They also have a really big article about it:
https://www.zdf.de/sport/zdf-sportrepor ... a-100.html

Same for the main sports show:
https://www.sportschau.de/weitere/rugby ... r-100.html

Other outlets picked it up as well, just to post a few.
https://www.sport.de/news/ne3431731/rug ... eschichte/
https://www.hessenschau.de/sport/rugby- ... 16168.html
https://www.stern.de/sport/rugby-wm-201 ... 47128.html
https://www.deutschlandfunk.de/rugby-ei ... _id=432920
https://www.stern.de/sport/rugby-wm-201 ... 47128.html
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Gorbeh » Fri, 16 Nov 2018, 12:25

Regarding the branding as Schwarze Adler:

Those are the two brandings for the game against Hong Kong and Canada. The DRV chose french for Canada apparently, conveniently the host language, and probably due to the fact that the branding against Kenya will be in English.

and as bonus the original design

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Fri, 16 Nov 2018, 14:42

Don't forget DHL too...

But when you think about it, one of the largest sponsors of rugby is AIG. You wanna know what AIG stands for? It doesn't stand for All Black International Group, I can tell you that much.....

And Gallagher is now sponsoring the Premiership and based right in the heartland of the US. Oh well.

Edit: Of course, as everyone else is saying it comes down to markets and demographics. You will reach far more people sponsoring the All Blacks than sponsoring USA Rugby. Sometimes it doesn't have to do with the sport itself but the market. We also have far fewer rugby fans who have easy access to watching high level rugby or participating in local grassroots rugby and are thus less engaged overall.
Last edited by Tobar on Fri, 16 Nov 2018, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 16 Nov 2018, 14:44

it would be a bit strange the day Germany faces USA.... Black Eagles vs Just Eagles :P

Maybe its better to keep the languages. Adler vs Eagles would sound much nicer.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 16 Nov 2018, 14:48

Tobar wrote:Don't forget DHL too...

But when you think about it, one of the largest sponsors of rugby is AIG. You wanna know what AIG stands for? It doesn't stand for All Black International Group, I can tell you that much.....

And Gallagher is now sponsoring the Premiership and based right in the heartland of the US. Oh well.

...and Romanian auto company Dacia is sponsoring Rugby League :thumbup:

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 16 Nov 2018, 15:33

victorsra wrote:
Maybe its better to keep the languages. Adler vs Eagles would sound much nicer.

I think Adlers sounds better.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 20 Nov 2018, 10:18

Germany will send 3 teams to the Dubai 7s. (Women, Development and U19).

Some nice facts. Dembele will play for the first time after getting injuried against Romania last spring. Also Fromm, Rainger and Leon Hees return from injuries.

The Zimbabwean Manasah Sitah will play for Germany from now on using the Olympic loophole. He has been living in Germany for 10 years now and apparently he has also already practiced with Germany for some years.

https://www.rugby-verband.de/drv-mit-dr ... -dubai-7s/

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum