Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: USA Rugby

Postby ihateblazers » Thu, 26 Dec 2019, 13:20

Tobar wrote: Well FloRugby paid them like $5 million over 7 years which isn’t a ton but they are desperate for cash. I don’t think MLR has any paid TV deal yet. But yes, I think it will be in the best interest if both can be bundled together (though I can guarantee that USAR will try and show horn itself into trying to get more than they should, messing up discussions).

The way I see it, USAR would clearly benefit from being on a different network than Flo. I don’t mind a paywall but make it something like ESPN+ or premium cable like CBS Sports or Fox Sports. They need to be easily accessible by fans otherwise no one will end up watching their games. And they need to get on this before MLR completely takes over as “the” rugby to watch. Internationals should be the pinnacle of the sport but they are treated like second rate because no one can watch them and they care more about their local club.

MLR would benefit because internationals are great for the sport and really set it aside from many other sports. The timing is also great because the entire offseason is now our test match calendar so there is something to keep the fans engaged and allows rugby to be available almost all the time.

As for the GUs, I think it would be in the MLR clubs best interests to hire a full time community manager whose job is to also assist the GU with administration. This person can attend matches every weekend, build a relationship with the clubs and then use that to help their own MLR club as well as provide feedback to the GU. Plus, having someone who actually works full time for the GU would be a huge win.

I read that MLR will have ESPN and Fox on board next year, the only major network not involved would then be NBC. Hopefully they will eventually turn into pay deals and USAR can then get out of that deal with Flo, and they can both come to the table with a bundled package.

In the mean time USAR needs to ensure 6 games over the July and November windows and the ARC needs to become a commercially attractive product. USA and Canada must play 2 games in late September- early October before the November tests as part of a 3 game series like the Bledisloe cup or maybe play games against SANZAAR nation's. In summary USAR needs to monetize the international game and add consistency to the annual calendar so they have something to sell and can finally get some partners on board.

From what I understand the GU's primarily function is to govern senior club rugby. That is an integral part of the game in but as many clubs as possible need to start youth programmes and MLR must encourage this. Then for development pathways; create as much synergy as possible between high school, college, mlr academies, clubs and MLR.

The governance and subsequent financial issues at USAR seems to be a vicious cycle. They need to completely overhaul congress and the board.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Thu, 26 Dec 2019, 14:13

USA and Canada play a series against each other each year - the CanAm Cup. But a lot of people don’t even realize this is a thing.

Usually there is a game in June/July and then the ARC match which is now going to be not long after. We could have a July and August series.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 27 Dec 2019, 04:22

Tobar wrote:USA and Canada play a series against each other each year - the CanAm Cup. But a lot of people don’t even realize this is a thing.

Usually there is a game in June/July and then the ARC match which is now going to be not long after. We could have a July and August series.

It's not always a series, in fact, there are several years where we have failed to play each other. The ARC thankfully has fixed that for now.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 27 Dec 2019, 19:47

It can, and should, return to being a series each year. Whoever hosts the ARC match will be the visitor in July. It allows the matchup to feel like a real Cup series worth fighting for.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 27 Dec 2019, 20:17

Tobar wrote:It can, and should, return to being a series each year. Whoever hosts the ARC match will be the visitor in July. It allows the matchup to feel like a real Cup series worth fighting for.

I agree with this. Also, with Japan potentially joining the Rugby Championship, Japan and Argentina will need to agree where to play. The half way point is California, approximately 12 hours from both Tokyo and BA. How about a double header? USA vs Canada, then Japan vs Argentina.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 28 Dec 2019, 00:59

Tobar wrote:It can, and should, return to being a series each year. Whoever hosts the ARC match will be the visitor in July. It allows the matchup to feel like a real Cup series worth fighting for.

Not saying it shouldn't be. It's been a tremendous failure by both Rugby Canada and USA Rugby to make this a huge rivalry that sells out wherever it goes.

Postby 4N » Sat, 28 Dec 2019, 01:03

Agreed

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 15 Jan 2020, 16:59

Well folks, USA Rugby has 10 weeks before it is kaput.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum