Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: USA Rugby

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 15 Jun 2017, 23:22

TheStroBro wrote:
VictorK wrote:It's great to see how fast rugby is progressing in the US.

Progressing? We've been playing this game for 150 years. We won the Olympics back to back 90 years ago. Not progressing at all.

So Scott Lawrence is the Technical Director [read:GM, chief scout], but the last time we had a consistent coaching staff was when he won the JWT and qualified for the JWC. Since then the coaching staff from MJAAs has been inconsistent. The current coach was appointed about two months ago and when I saw the job listing it was as a volunteer and received no direct compensation. The Union couldn't even fund this trip, a donor had to pay for it.

You can't really count back that far to say whether or not we are progressing. The game basically died here from the late 20s through the early 60s. The Olympic golds are a cool story but totally irrelevant in that context. Given the huge changes since the game went professional, 1996 is probably as good of a starting point as any.

Anyway, here's the 23 for Georgia:

Men's Eagles | v. Georgia
1. Tony Purpura
2. James Hilterbrand
3. Chris Baumann
4. Nate Brakeley
5. Ben Landry
6. Todd Clever (C)
7. Tony Lamborn
8. Cam Dolan
9. Shaun Davies
10. Will Magie
11. Nate Augspurger
12. AJ MacGinty
13. Bryce Campbell
14. Matai Leuta
15. Mike Te'o

Men's Eagles | Reserves
16. Peter Malcolm
17. Ben Tarr
18. Dino Waldren
19. Matthew Jensen
20. Andrew Durutalo
21. Ben Cima
22. Marcel Brache
23. Ryan Matyas

Read more at https://www.usarugby.org/2017/06/clever ... q4h4USt.99

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 16 Jun 2017, 01:12

I honestly don't like this line up. I'm not sure if Purpura is the guy to replace Tarr. Big Joe did very well there but he is the long term answer at Hooker not loosehead. I would hope that you'd want to work on your Qualifiers game plan. This makes me think that Mitchell just wanted to knock the rust off rather than put the pedal to the floor from '1 of Ireland. However, based on Georgia's play I still like our chances at -3.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 16 Jun 2017, 01:38

Purpura might be the best domestic scrummager we've got. Where is Big Joe? Injured or resting?

I like the 10-12-13 combo. Would prefer to see Augspurger on the bench and Brache at wing. One is because I think Brache is a better wing but the other reason is I'd prefer to have my backup scrumhalf fresh and able to lift the pace of the game when he comes on.

BTW, we are 4.5 point underdogs: http://www.paddypower.com/bet/rugby-uni ... 14695.html

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 16 Jun 2017, 03:28

Here's my preview of the lineup, I don't like the front row combination at all, some back line issues for me.

https://youtu.be/YIkVU4qE1GE

What I'd do up front is

1. Big Joe 2. Hilterbrand 3. Paddy Ryan...both Tuafete'e and Ryan are inactive.

in the backfield I would put 10. MacGinty 11. Brache 12. Magie 13. Campbell/Matyas 14. Leuta 15. Cima.

I don't think Mikey played a good enough match last week and that islander step/studder step just doesn't work against T1 when you aren't Olympic fast.

ETA: With input from Coloradoan and SDYeti, the front row I'd put out now would be

1. Tony Purpura 2. Joe Taufete'e 3. Paddy Ryan. This lineup for the front row would weigh in at 810lbs vs the named front row at 771lbs.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Sat, 17 Jun 2017, 03:34

Definitely think Joe should be in there but maybe he is being rested? Also thought Iosefo would stay on the wing.

Separately, was hesitating to create a dedicated MLR thread after that PRO thread, but anyone have views on all these developments, like:

http://www.thisisamericanrugby.com/2017 ... ffins.html

All the teams seem to be putting serious money (i assume) behind these ventures. And despite dismissing the Huns last year claiming to go professional, they turned around and won D1 this year. The competitive pressure / pride among teams definitely seems to be driving some impressive signings both in terms of players and coaches.

I am cautiously optimistic we may have domestic rugby to watch next spring in the US.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 17 Jun 2017, 03:45

Been talking about this on the MLR subreddit a bunch. I say we wait before dedicating a thread until Camp starts which should be October. But hiring the likes of Mike Ford says where this is going.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Sat, 17 Jun 2017, 03:46

Need to find the MLR subreddit...

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sat, 17 Jun 2017, 03:51

Suiram wrote:Need to find the MLR subreddit...

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLRugby/

It's very very good

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 16:42

Anyone else notice that Clever lined up in the open-side position a lot at the scrum on Saturday?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 11:19

"Oneside Player Management is actively recruiting overseas for a US-based professional team"

Apparently they are looking
"1. overseas players that have played Pro12, super rugby, International, Championship level (no dreamers)
2. Top level USA passport holders"

Looks more like a Pro12 team than anything else to me - the listing of Pro12 before anything else looks like a Freudian slip!

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 11:28

Figaro wrote:"Oneside Player Management is actively recruiting overseas for a US-based professional team"

"1. overseas players that have played Pro12, super rugby, International, Championship level (no dreamers)

Looks more like a Pro12 team than anything else to me - the listing of Pro12 before anything else looks like a Freudian slip!

I very much doubt a future Pro12 side would recruit on Facebook in this manner, I think it's an MLR side.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 11:38

sammo wrote:
Figaro wrote:"Oneside Player Management is actively recruiting overseas for a US-based professional team"

I very much doubt a future Pro12 side would recruit on Facebook in this manner, I think it's an MLR side.

It also sounds very un pro- fessional. Hehehe :lol: :lol:

Postby 4N » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 14:01

If I'm not mistaken, Russia's Yuri Kushnarev liked that post.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 14:54

4N wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, Russia's Yuri Kushnarev liked that post.

Great spot! Would be a good signing

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 15:57

sammo wrote:

Because Pro12's aspirations in the US have been executed professionally?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 16:48

TheStroBro wrote:
sammo wrote:

Because Pro12's aspirations in the US have been executed professionally?

I can't think of anything particularly unprofessional that has happened, care to elaborate? I base my argument on the fact that you would NEVER see a current Pro12 side recruit in this manner, and nor did we see it during the Italian expansion. Pro12 has enough of a standing that, if a US team were being recruited for, there would be no requirement to randomly canvass on FB for players, it would all happen behind the scenes.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 17:12

All of the acquisitions made by Houston have been through contacts of the coaches and front office. There have been official solicitations from the MLR teams themselves and not through player Agency.

Pro12 comes out every quarter and talks of starting an American side for the past four or five years, and at no point have they just executed. Put up, or shut up, get out of the press.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 17:17

TheStroBro wrote:All of the acquisitions made by Houston have been through contacts of the coaches and front office. There have been official solicitations from the MLR teams themselves and not through player Agency.

Pro12 comes out every quarter and talks of starting an American side for the past four or five years, and at no point have they just executed. Put up, or shut up, get out of the press.

I understand where you're coming from. I think being in the press is the fault of the press, not the Pro12; in down times/less interesting times this kind of speculation will often be pulled out of thin air. I also 100% agree, and would rather a possible Stateside Pro12 team was shut up about if I'm honest. W/R to Houston, they run a very professional setup, but we haven't seen anything recruitment wise from a number of teams and we have no idea what their recruitment processes are like. I have a feeling this will be one of the teams we've heard much less from than Houston.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Tue, 20 Jun 2017, 21:40

Kyle Sumsion has signed for Houston Strikers

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 07:20

sammo wrote:

I thought MLR weren't allowed to refer to themselves as "Professional" because of PRO Rugby - or am I behind the curve here?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 09:01

Figaro wrote:
sammo wrote:

I thought MLR weren't allowed to refer to themselves as "Professional" because of PRO Rugby - or am I behind the curve here?

Being professional in this context is simply the act of paying your players, I doubt that can be trademarked

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 19:23

Todd Clever to Retire after World Cup Qualifiers.

https://www.usarugby.org/2017/06/clever ... etirement/

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 19:32

He's been a great servant to American rugby. I'm looking forward to his next step and his continued involvement in the development of the pro 15s game here.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 19:36

Glad he got a bit of redemption after this last cycle. Still sad that he missed to chance to even travel with the team for the RWC.

And despite my initial cynicism, looking forward to seeing his involvement in the Huns and progress of the domestic game as Coloradoan mentioned.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 22 Jun 2017, 03:30

The standard Clifton hate piece in regards to Mitchell and then takes unnecessary swipes at MLR: http://www.rugbytoday.com/elite/cliff-n ... y-u20s-mlr

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum