Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: USA Rugby

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 20:25

Lock especially is a place where I'm OK with picking some older guys. If you get smoked up front, it doesn't give anyone else the opportunity to do much. And we are only 2 years out from the RWC so these guys aren't too old to put their hands up for that.

I can definitely understand some people wondering about the Maupin selection. From a coach's perspective, he's a capped Eagle who seems to get the most out of his ability. That kind of experience and example is probably a good thing to have in this type of setting. Or maybe I'm just willing to give Lawrence/Magleby the benefit of the doubt compared to Tolkin's staff whose surprise selections ALWAYS came from the clubs they were associated with. That said, it's hard to see Maupin putting his hand up for 2019 compared to some younger, more dynamic players. Just off the top of my head, Pila Huihui, Joeli Tikoisuva, Deion Mikesell, Spike Davis, Cody Jerabek and perhaps a few others would be a better look to the future. Availability/health is also always a question those of us on the outside may not know, too.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 22:33

4N wrote:
Penn State Football and both the Men's and Women's programs had home matches.

You mentioned this on Twitter.

Firstly, Penn State football played Georgia State, a doormat who just recently launched a football program. Not a lot of casual interest in that one.

Secondly and perhaps more importantly, State College is 3+ hours from Philadelphia. Rutgers is closer. Don't think it impacted the crowd too much. People want a match day atmosphere. This fixture didn't offer that.

This is a fair article from someone who attended: http://www.thisisamericanrugby.com/2017 ... s.html?m=1

And yet there were 102,746 fans in Happy Valley, let alone who drove to State College just to "be there." I never understood the whole be there just to tailgate thing but it exists all over the place. http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootba ... _st_3.html

From the media perspective, the two guys from my podcast that live in NY received the full red carpet treatment. Premiership credentialed everyone that requested from what I can tell.

Saracens-Newcastle doesn't really have brand recognition. But this is the beginning, this is the benchmark.

As far as the Eagles Coach, if I take Dan Payne at face value, Scott Lawrence will probably be the continuity book for the next HC. He will not be the next HC, but will remain an assistant with the program. Currently has a big gig at Oracle.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 23:09

TheStroBro wrote:
4N wrote:
Penn State Football and both the Men's and Women's programs had home matches.

You mentioned this on Twitter.

Firstly, Penn State football played Georgia State, a doormat who just recently launched a football program. Not a lot of casual interest in that one.

Secondly and perhaps more importantly, State College is 3+ hours from Philadelphia. Rutgers is closer. Don't think it impacted the crowd too much. People want a match day atmosphere. This fixture didn't offer that.

This is a fair article from someone who attended: http://www.thisisamericanrugby.com/2017 ... s.html?m=1

And yet there were 102,746 fans in Happy Valley, let alone who drove to State College just to "be there." I never understood the whole be there just to tailgate thing but it exists all over the place. http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootba ... _st_3.html

From the media perspective, the two guys from my podcast that live in NY received the full red carpet treatment. Premiership credentialed everyone that requested from what I can tell.

Saracens-Newcastle doesn't really have brand recognition. But this is the beginning, this is the benchmark.

As far as the Eagles Coach, if I take Dan Payne at face value, Scott Lawrence will probably be the continuity book for the next HC. He will not be the next HC, but will remain an assistant with the program. Currently has a big gig at Oracle.

4N has a point, though. So what if there were 100k fans in Happy Valley? It's a different market. The vast majority of those fans are not going in from Philly. This isn't like having a match in LA go head to head with a USC home game.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Fri, 22 Sep 2017, 13:09

Coloradoan wrote:Lock especially is a place where I'm OK with picking some older guys. If you get smoked up front, it doesn't give anyone else the opportunity to do much. And we are only 2 years out from the RWC so these guys aren't too old to put their hands up for that.

I can definitely understand some people wondering about the Maupin selection. From a coach's perspective, he's a capped Eagle who seems to get the most out of his ability. That kind of experience and example is probably a good thing to have in this type of setting. Or maybe I'm just willing to give Lawrence/Magleby the benefit of the doubt compared to Tolkin's staff whose surprise selections ALWAYS came from the clubs they were associated with. That said, it's hard to see Maupin putting his hand up for 2019 compared to some younger, more dynamic players. Just off the top of my head, Pila Huihui, Joeli Tikoisuva, Deion Mikesell, Spike Davis, Cody Jerabek and perhaps a few others would be a better look to the future. Availability/health is also always a question those of us on the outside may not know, too.

Just looking at the wings named in the "Home Reserves" gives you a view of who could have been in there as well. However, to be fair there could be a view that Maupin has done all the right things in terms of putting his hand up and deserves a shot. This is not the November tour and there will be more opportunities for young guys to show.

You also make a good point about the need for a real pack (I have since realized none of the forwards are that old with almost all being sub-27). When our development sides cant hold a scrum, execute a line out, or even hit the breakdown, we never get to see any phase play. And the whole thing becomes a waste of time (even if we win on random athletically impressive moments of success). The pack named, especially assuming the top guys are starting for the toughest matches, should be solid. Landry & Jensen could arguably compete to be our Eagles starting Locks. And the front row similarly looks almost like the Eagles behind Baumann and Titi. MacLellan, Ryan, & Maughan. And of course Malcolm.

My prediction for starting 15, granted with 4 days rest, everyone will likely start, so maybe my view on "best 15":

1. Angus Maclellan
2. Malcolm
3. Ryan
4. Landry
5. Jensen
6. Daly
7. Kaka
8. Germihuys
9. Yungert
10. Cima
11. Maupin
12. Talapusi
13. Campbell
14. Whippy
15. Eloff

Reserves: Vorster, Maughan, Fifita, Hardiman, Schrimer, De Haas, Mccarthy, Pangelinian

My gut is the positions are kind of BS and it'll be more flexible. Would expect Whippy deserves to start but maybe on the wing instead of center. Also could see Eloff on the bench since he covers most of the back line, unlike some others.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Fri, 22 Sep 2017, 17:54

Suiram wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:Lock especially is a place where I'm OK with picking some older guys. If you get smoked up front, it doesn't give anyone else the opportunity to do much. And we are only 2 years out from the RWC so these guys aren't too old to put their hands up for that.

Just looking at the wings named in the "Home Reserves" gives you a view of who could have been in there as well. However, to be fair there could be a view that Maupin has done all the right things in terms of putting his hand up and deserves a shot. This is not the November tour and there will be more opportunities for young guys to show.

You also make a good point about the need for a real pack (I have since realized none of the forwards are that old with almost all being sub-27). When our development sides cant hold a scrum, execute a line out, or even hit the breakdown, we never get to see any phase play. And the whole thing becomes a waste of time (even if we win on random athletically impressive moments of success). The pack named, especially assuming the top guys are starting for the toughest matches, should be solid. Landry & Jensen could arguably compete to be our Eagles starting Locks. And the front row similarly looks almost like the Eagles behind Baumann and Titi. MacLellan, Ryan, & Maughan. And of course Malcolm.

My prediction for starting 15, granted with 4 days rest, everyone will likely start, so maybe my view on "best 15":

1. Angus Maclellan
2. Malcolm
3. Ryan
4. Landry
5. Jensen
6. Daly
7. Kaka
8. Germihuys
9. Yungert
10. Cima
11. Maupin
12. Talapusi
13. Campbell
14. Whippy
15. Eloff

Reserves: Vorster, Maughan, Fifita, Hardiman, Schrimer, De Haas, Mccarthy, Pangelinian

My gut is the positions are kind of BS and it'll be more flexible. Would expect Whippy deserves to start but maybe on the wing instead of center. Also could see Eloff on the bench since he covers most of the back line, unlike some others.

"could be a view that Maupin has done all the right things in terms of putting his hand up and deserves a shot"

What has he done right? He's been playing third tier amateur rugby overseas.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 23 Sep 2017, 01:06

Coloradoan wrote:
4N has a point, though. So what if there were 100k fans in Happy Valley? It's a different market. The vast majority of those fans are not going in from Philly. This isn't like having a match in LA go head to head with a USC home game.

I disagree, the market for PSU is all of eastern PA. That include Philadelphia. When I lived in Georgia I drove to Auburn to watch games and drove home. The radius of the market for football is big.

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby kush123 » Mon, 25 Sep 2017, 19:36

Mike Friday, and Finding the Key to USA Rugby’s Growth

Commercial Success Urgently Needed

In order to gain the popularity Friday alludes to, the game of rugby needs to be a real commercial commodity. On this point, Friday commented “In USR, there is a huge opportunity for a 7’s Grand Prix between the NBC television windows of American Football and Basketball in June, July and August.

“The sporting public of the USA would embrace it, much in the way the IPL cricket runs or on a lesser scale, how the Carlton 7’s in Sri Lanka is run. This would allow exposure, development of talent and coaches, and provide a logical progression from College/Club events up to this; and then into the World Series.

http://lastwordonrugby.com/2017/09/24/finding-key-usa-rugbys-growth/

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 27 Sep 2017, 23:59

Apparently the games will be streamed on the Rugby Channel...ugh

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sat, 30 Sep 2017, 14:46

So I had signed up for The Rugby Channel awhile back, but then never really used it.

I tried today to watch some Pro14, and got an error saying that it couldn't be shown in my region. Now, I realise that I'm the idiot in this situation (paying $5 every month for a service I wasn't using), but how frustrating is it that they let me sign up and pay them money for a service I couldn't use?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 01 Oct 2017, 00:03

Every time I tried to use it the thing was always not working so I canceled before the free month [now week] was over.

ETA: Latest MLR News Recap-https://youtu.be/35nXxOmo5UA

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Mon, 02 Oct 2017, 01:04

They were always very lazy / deceptive about what works in what regions. Its really already dead, unless they are able to actually buy some content rights.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 02 Oct 2017, 03:23

Jeff Paylor's statement following the Citing Commissioner ruling: https://www.facebook.com/jeff.paylor.3/ ... 0589145723

This could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Mon, 02 Oct 2017, 10:26

Gary Gold to leave Worcester and become the new Head Coach for USA Rugby.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41470141

What are people's thoughts on the appointment? his not taking up the position until 2018, shouldn't they get him sooner?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby rugby.change » Mon, 02 Oct 2017, 21:15

I wonder who will coach the Eagles in November and the ARC, Gold not arriving until June 2018.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Mon, 02 Oct 2017, 21:35

As much as not joining until 2018 is a bit weird (is it really June 2018? He wouldnt be around for the ARC at least?), I could understand the logic if he is far and away their preferred candidate. Someone willing to relocate to the US and with a strong background might require more time. especially if USAR doesnt want to buy out an existing contract.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 03 Oct 2017, 00:35

Saving like 150k right there. Gold was only on a one year deal with Worcester after rescuing them last year. So this way you don't have to buy anything out.

Scott Lawrence will probably take over as the interim HC.

ETA: Gary Gold is your new Eagles HC https://youtu.be/DZfCY5MIkNM

Postby 4N » Sun, 08 Oct 2017, 14:05

They will be hosting 2 South African teams early 2018 (Likely February) in California. I believe it will be the Stormers as one team as they look to expand their investment along with owning the San Diego MLR team.

Two saffer teams on the west coast instead of Houston, Atlanta etc where SA expats actually live. God these guys blow, everything they are involved in is done poorly. Something like Chiefs vs Crusaders would so obviously be a better draw on the west coast than Stormers.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Sun, 08 Oct 2017, 16:21

4N wrote:
They will be hosting 2 South African teams early 2018 (Likely February) in California. I believe it will be the Stormers as one team as they look to expand their investment along with owning the San Diego MLR team.

Two saffer teams on the west coast instead of Houston, Atlanta etc where SA expats actually live. God these guys blow, everything they are involved in is done poorly. Something like Chiefs vs Crusaders would so obviously be a better draw on the west coast than Stormers.

Stormers are apparently part owners of the future SD MLR team, so it makes sense that they would come to play in California

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Sun, 08 Oct 2017, 19:19

While I agree kiwi sides would probably get the best turnout, it’ll come down more to how well it’s marketed, how thoughtfully the timing is considered and whether both teams actually send their first 15 with their international players

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 12 Oct 2017, 03:51

Questions for the US posters, is the mens soccer team failing to qualify for the world cup an opportunity for their rugby counterparts to make a bigger name for themselves?

National Flag:

Postby speculumfight » Thu, 12 Oct 2017, 13:26

thatrugbyguy wrote:Questions for the US posters, is the mens soccer team failing to qualify for the world cup an opportunity for their rugby counterparts to make a bigger name for themselves?

Yeah. Everything, NFL concussion/safety worries, Soccer & the failure of the Men's National team to qualify for the World Cup, is an opportunity to gain more Rugby viewers, fans. The problem is US Rugby and it's TV partners are not really in position to take advantage of these opportunities. Games are not readily available for casual, potential viewers to watch. We have no domestic league and that really helps casuals become more familiar with players. MLS did a great job in 2002 tying US domestic players on the USMNT and marketing the hell out of them. Unfortunately rugby doesn't have that here at the moment. Hopefully MLR will be successful and be around once the 2019 RWC rolls around. Hopefully MLR games will be available easily available for sports fans and rugby curious viewers. There should be human interest pieces for MLR players on the US RWC squad & that will help players make themselves known to casuals. The Rugby Channel has this series called "Homegrown" which tracks potential Eagle players. I like it and casuals like this kind of stuff too. When the RWC comes around NBCSports (the channel that airs the RWC here in the US) needs to air this kind of stuff so casuals become more familiar with the players. I was really disappointed with the coverage for the last RWC so I am really doubtful that NBCSports is putting the kind of resources and marketing to grow the game and make rugby players a household name in the US.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" - Cobain

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 13 Oct 2017, 03:56

thatrugbyguy wrote:Questions for the US posters, is the mens soccer team failing to qualify for the world cup an opportunity for their rugby counterparts to make a bigger name for themselves?

I think it is, but it requires a competent Union. We currently don't have a well written strategic plan and no commercial strategy. We're signing sponsorship deals for next summer that are complete trash.

We have an awesome rugby man in CEO Dan Payne, but he's got both hands tied behind his back with a board that let Melville run amok and won't let him do anything.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Fri, 13 Oct 2017, 11:09

speculumfight wrote:

Yeah. Everything, NFL concussion/safety worries, Soccer & the failure of the Men's National team to qualify for the World Cup, is an opportunity to gain more Rugby viewers, fans. The problem is US Rugby and it's TV partners are not really in position to take advantage of these opportunities. Games are not readily available for casual, potential viewers to watch. We have no domestic league and that really helps casuals become more familiar with players. MLS did a great job in 2002 tying US domestic players on the USMNT and marketing the hell out of them. Unfortunately rugby doesn't have that here at the moment. Hopefully MLR will be successful and be around once the 2019 RWC rolls around. Hopefully MLR games will be available easily available for sports fans and rugby curious viewers. There should be human interest pieces for MLR players on the US RWC squad & that will help players make themselves known to casuals. The Rugby Channel has this series called "Homegrown" which tracks potential Eagle players. I like it and casuals like this kind of stuff too. When the RWC comes around NBCSports (the channel that airs the RWC here in the US) needs to air this kind of stuff so casuals become more familiar with the players. I was really disappointed with the coverage for the last RWC so I am really doubtful that NBCSports is putting the kind of resources and marketing to grow the game and make rugby players a household name in the US.

European clubs with high-profile Eagles players should be looking to promote themselves in the US via their association with US international players, e.g. "US international Blaine Scully appearing in the European Challenge Cup for Cardiff Blues on Saturday". Raise interest in the player, the team, the competition and the sport in the US. Win-win for all involved.

National Flag:

Postby speculumfight » Fri, 13 Oct 2017, 18:06

Figaro wrote:
speculumfight wrote:

European clubs with high-profile Eagles players should be looking to promote themselves in the US via their association with US international players, e.g. "US international Blaine Scully appearing in the European Challenge Cup for Cardiff Blues on Saturday". Raise interest in the player, the team, the competition and the sport in the US. Win-win for all involved.

If ESPN was promoting these competitions in any way it would be cool if they mentioned any Eagles players playing.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" - Cobain

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 13 Oct 2017, 21:12

Speculumfight,

NBC will have three matches of the 6N live on the peacock, and an additional match on NBCSN, they will be promoting that, especially the ENG V IRE match on St Patrick's day. All three matches per week will be on NBC Sports Gold. You have to remember that NBC isn't responsible to you or I, they're responsible to the shareholders of Comcast.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum