Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum - View topic - USA Rugby

Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: USA Rugby

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 04 Dec 2017, 02:04

TheStroBro wrote:At this juncture, is everyone ready for a separate MLR thread?

With rampant speculation about Canadian teams already happening, I think it doesn't really belong entirely on the USA Rugby thread anyway.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 06 Dec 2017, 22:25

The PRP is back. http://pacificrugbypremiership.com/

It's not what it was, but this could be a great amateur competition.

PRP North: Life West, Olympic Club, SFGG
PRP South: Belmont Shore, OMBAC, Santa Monica

For the most part the PRP is a the SCRFU and NCRFU DI Competition re-organized. A lot of teams were relegated. A lot of teams were relegated across the country by their GUs Dropping the overall national DI competition to 28 teams.

Looks like Tomasin and Augpurger are in the promo photos, not sure how that's going to work but I'm sure I'll find out.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Wed, 06 Dec 2017, 22:50

TheStroBro wrote:The PRP is back. http://pacificrugbypremiership.com/

It's not what it was, but this could be a great amateur competition.

PRP North: Life West, Olympic Club, SFGG
PRP South: Belmont Shore, OMBAC, Santa Monica

For the most part the PRP is a the SCRFU and NCRFU DI Competition re-organized. A lot of teams were relegated. A lot of teams were relegated across the country by their GUs Dropping the overall national DI competition to 28 teams.

Looks like Tomasin and Augpurger are in the promo photos, not sure how that's going to work but I'm sure I'll find out.

Is Don Pati in there too? I recognize Mils for Life West I assume...

Tomasin leaving the 7s program would be a pretty big blow. More importantly the idea that either of them would be playing PRP and not in MLR seems a bit surprising.

If SD Legion is real and needs to sign players, I suspect there will be lots of tears in PRP South in particular. Although I guess their season will be almost finished in time for MLR.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 07 Dec 2017, 00:32

It's basically an elite California championship. Nothing wrong with that and it will still be up there with the strongest club competitions in the country. It should also serve as a great scouting and proving ground for SD and eventually a Norcal team.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 09 Dec 2017, 00:04

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Sat, 09 Dec 2017, 08:54

TheStroBro wrote:I hope this means we're done: https://www.florugby.com/articles/60549 ... t-hearings

Very damning, and credit to Stephen Lewis for pursuing this. Fair to say I gave Doug Shoninger too much credit, even if I still think that elements in the US Union contributed to the situation and remain a concern going forward.

*falls on sword*

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 16 Dec 2017, 18:18

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... vin-gentry

Nice article on rugby being spread to inner city Memphis

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 20 Dec 2017, 13:15

https://twitter.com/BBCSportWales/statu ... 9429192704
Wales will play a match in the USA in June 2018 against an unconfirmed team before two Tests in Argentina, says Welsh Rugby Union chief executive Martyn Phillips

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Wed, 20 Dec 2017, 15:30

Indeed, and this article says it will not be the USA national side: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42428548

Possibilities:
1. New pro14 US team (they'll have to sign some players)
2. An MLR or MLR-select side. Would be one sided even with an all-but-name Wales A side.
3. The All Blacks, in a rerun of the Ireland game last year
4. Another touring test sid like Tonga or someone (seems pointless, why not play Uruguay instead seeing as they're touring Argentina?)

Postby 4N » Wed, 20 Dec 2017, 15:41

Tonga somewhere out west would be good. Been a while since Utah hosted a test.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 20 Dec 2017, 18:22

Given the USA are quite good now (comparable to Tonga or Samoa I'd say based on results) they should just play USA I reckon.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 20 Dec 2017, 19:20

Not calling us a proper side, how is Wales a proper side? They can embarrass themselves at home and come with stones to talk smack eh?

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Wed, 20 Dec 2017, 21:07

It's hilarious when their(6N union executives) true attitude slips by accident.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

Postby 4N » Wed, 20 Dec 2017, 21:10

Pretty cynical reading of the quote.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Thu, 21 Dec 2017, 08:07

4N wrote:Pretty cynical reading of the quote.

I'm not sure what Phillips was thinking when he said "it will not be against the US, it will be against a proper side" but what ever was intended it's an embarrassment and disrespectful to the US.

Strobro is not being cynical, how else can it be translated? I'm sure that Phillips didn't intend to insult the Americans but his comments once again highlight T1 countries attitude to the T2 teams. In short they consider than an inconvenience.

The irony is that when big money comes into US Rugby (as undoubtedly it will) we (Wales) and other T1s will be all over them like a rash.

Postby 4N » Thu, 21 Dec 2017, 11:44

how else can it be translated?

As someone else put it:

Having been there, I understood it to mean it wouldn’t be the US but it would be another international team. No slight meant at all.

https://mobile.twitter.com/simonrug/sta ... 8516527104

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 21 Dec 2017, 12:01

So really it should be interpreted as "It won't be America. It will be a proper side"

Rather than "It won't be America, it will be a proper side"

That is still a very sloppy use of language, a "but" and "still" for instance would provide clarity:

"It won't be America, but it will still be a proper side", clearly includes America as a side you consider proper for instance.

Or using "another" instead of "a", also then clearly includes America as a "proper side".

I know some people will think this a bit of anal post but these guys earn enough money to be accurate when they speak.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Thu, 21 Dec 2017, 13:28

4N wrote:
how else can it be translated?

As someone else put it:

Having been there, I understood it to mean it wouldn’t be the US but it would be another international team. No slight meant at all.

https://mobile.twitter.com/simonrug/sta ... 8516527104

Simon Thomas is a good journalist and a nice bloke.

However, the Western Mail's rugby content is all but controlled by the WRU.

After the initial publication, the editorial was altered to read 'big' rather than 'proper' despite what was said at the press conference.

The point is not what was intended (I am sure that Phillips did not go into the press conference with the aim of insulting another Rugby Nation), but that he was so flippant about it. Furthermore, instead of issuing an apology, he's getting the press to cover his tracks.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Thu, 21 Dec 2017, 13:33

sk 88 wrote:So really it should be interpreted as "It won't be America. It will be a proper side"

That is still a very sloppy use of language, a "but" and "still" for instance would provide clarity:

"It won't be America, but it will still be a proper side", clearly includes America as a side you consider proper for instance.

Or using "another" instead of "a", also then clearly includes America as a "proper side".

I know some people will think this a bit of anal post but these guys earn enough money to be accurate when they speak.

This is spot on. But the impression given both in preparation and after the faux pas is; 'it's only US Rugby, it really doesn't matter'
Last edited by cardiffrcm on Thu, 21 Dec 2017, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Thu, 21 Dec 2017, 14:45

A bit of a storm in a teacup for me. If you were able to read a transcript of what everybody says in unrehearsed environments you'd see we all mangle language constantly.

Still, not the sort of thing to help Pro14 ambitions in North America.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 21 Dec 2017, 14:48

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:A bit of a storm in a teacup for me. If you were able to read a transcript of what everybody says in unrehearsed environments you'd see we all mangle language constantly.

We have no Pro14 ambitions, it's the Pro14 who has American ambitions.

sk 88 wrote:So really it should be interpreted as "It won't be America. It will be a proper side"

How else does one take that? He could have said, it won't be against the US at this time, we're looking for a Tier 1 partner to help put on a spectacle to grow the game. The best part is the Welsh folk on the net saying the side against Georgia was the 'A' side, when it was not. It was a test match, you either field your best or you don't. The conduct of the Welsh staff and players was an embarrassment to the Welsh as a people. So being sloppy with language, is another embarrassment.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Thu, 21 Dec 2017, 16:31

Bruce_ma_goose wrote:A bit of a storm in a teacup for me. If you were able to read a transcript of what everybody says in unrehearsed environments you'd see we all mangle language constantly.

I'm not sure a major announcement at a press conference should be 'unrehearsed'. Though, I agree that it would appear that it was.

That there has been no apology kind of excerbates the point. He should have clarified what he meant to say (maybe he was trying to simply confirm that it was going to be a test match), apologise and move on.

There is another point here; why are they not playing the US? Do they really think that playing the RSA will draw a bigger crowd? Or is it simply because SKY/BT Sport will pay more for the broadcast rights? If it's the later, it proves what an albatross RIM is to US Rugby.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 21 Dec 2017, 16:36

Right, but this isn't an unrehearsed environment, its a meeting with the press where you know your words are going to be reported. So its pretty unprofessional to make this kind of error. I think it also belies your true feelings, let's be honest its a pretty odd way to phrase it any way you look at it.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Thu, 21 Dec 2017, 17:34

sk 88 wrote:

Right, but this isn't an unrehearsed environment, its a meeting with the press where you know your words are going to be reported. So its pretty unprofessional to make this kind of error. I think it also belies your true feelings, let's be honest its a pretty odd way to phrase it any way you look at it.

Exactly.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Bruce_ma_goose » Thu, 21 Dec 2017, 17:56

It sounds like this Phillips fellow was making himself available for a few announcements and a Q&A on a variety of topics in a fairly informal standpoint (assuming George North, Gatland and June Tests were all discussed at the same forum). He won't have been having a massive formal announcement about 4x Welsh regions wanting the services of George North. The fact that the identity of the side they will play in the US is also unknown further suggests this was not some grand formal announcement.

Maybe bland, robotic soundbites that are prechecked so as to be sure to never insult anyone is what people want? That is the only way to ensure that such unfortunate minor mishaps don't occur in future.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum