Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: USA Rugby

Postby Tobar » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 15:40

TRC's only real assets are the rights to the Eagles matches, which still isn't a hot commodity. The subscribers are also good for boosting their ESPN+ platform with new subscribers but there are really only a few thousand subscribers anyway.

As for RIM, I guess one benefit is that if it goes bankrupt due to poor investments then at least it's separate from USAR. So we got that going for us, which is nice.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 21:43

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 21 Mar 2018, 15:41

David Sternberg has resigned from RIM. Pam Kosanke has been appointed interim CEO and Chair. Mark Lambourne and John Bobbett have been appointed to the RIM Board.

Dan Payne has stepped down in his role as interim chair of RIM to focus on preparing the Union for RWC 7s.

https://www.usarugby.org/2018/03/usa-ru ... eadership/

National Flag:

Postby MLB3BB2 » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 07:34

With Dylan Fawsitt looking good at hooker in the ARC, I wonder whether the Eagles should mainly use Joe T. at loosehead. We'll need two strong from rows to do any damage at the World Cup and may need props more than hookers. Whether Titi L. should play at tighthead, where he's been playing lately for Saracens, or loosehead may come down to to whether we'd rather have Dino W. on at tighthead or Eric F./Huluholo M. at loosehead.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 07:46

I think just opening up this question poses issues and shows where USAR struggles competing at the highest levels. Joe T has developed into a high calibre hooker and as he continues to develop he will get worse at prop or at least not developing.

Has Titi really been at TH since coming back from injury? He was playing at LH in the ARC and previous comments were that prior to injury he was focused on LH.

Although the US is not blessed with great depth at prop, I would much rather not see us screwing around with peoples positions. The saving grace is that with Joe, Fawsitt, Hilterbrand, and Malcolm, Hooker should not be a position of worry regardless of injury or form (at least in terms of 1 or 2 guys not being available).

I'd much rather we continue to look towards growth and development of guys like Waldren, Wengelewski, Kwasinski, Paddy Ryan (or return to form), Huluholo, Pederson along with shots in the dark like Salanoa, Fefita, Zamudio, Hayden. Keep in mind Taufetee showed up on the 2015 RWC squad unheralded, but wound up being a serviceable young backup.

So basically I would much prefer the US take advantage of real depth at hooker and worry about developing true specialized LH and TH props.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 16:12

Couple other front row prospects in Maughan, Telea and Ainuu. The latter 2 are probably not going to be ready in time for the RWC, but I'd be surprised, barring injury, if they weren't both there in 2023. They're both U20 eligible as well. I know we don't devote a lot of resources to our U20 program, and perhaps rightly so given the cash crunch USAR has had lately, but a decently resourced team should be good enough to win the JWRT: Ainuu, Telea, Zamudio, Nafi Maafu, Devin Short, de Haas, Fualaau, Quinn Perry (who has reportedly been playing quite well in the PRP), Kieran Farmer, Ryan James, Mika Kruse and probably a couple Cal guys (unsure who is actually eligible or would be interested). I'd imagine MLR and the establishment of MLR academies will be big for keeping young talent in the game and developing that talent so we really should be shooting to play in the JWC annually with the big boys.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 16:42

Agreed with Suiram. It seems more prudent to have the best possible players at their position rather than play them out of position (and therefore out of their development). We have professional front rowers so I’d like to keep them at the positions they are playing professionally.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 16:51

Titi Lamositele is the first choice Tighthead for us. Until recently that is where he played for Saracens. Based on injuries he has seen time at Tighthead for Saracens. behind him solidly is Huluholo Moungaloa who needs to be on an MLR team and not playing Lock for Life West. Then who's the next loosehead? Wenglewski? Tim Fitzgerald (AER). Purpura's form has dropped off significantly, he will probably struggle at Legion. I don't get it.

Joe Taufete'e is our first choice Hooker. Behind him are three very capable backups in Hilterbrand, Malcolm and Fawsitt. If I had to pick three: Taufete'e, Fawsitt, and Malcolm specifically because Hilterbrand is in Australia and has a day job now that he's playing in the Shute Shield and not Super Rugby. He's the oldest of the three...however, he's still young at 28. So it's going to be tough to nail down who the second and third hooker will be if everyone's form stays high.

Tighthead it gets dicey, we've got Dino Waldren. I thought based on form over the summer Paddy Ryan was going to be the second guy following the Summer. But he just had surgery and should be back in form mid-MLR season so we will be able to judge there. I was impressed by Mason Pedersen against SD, but didn't have as strong a Performance against NOLA this last weekend. Angus MacLellan played in the APC and I thought earned his spot for the fall tour, he didn't go, however that's because his fiancee had their daughter during that period. During the ARC in limited time I thought he would get the start when Dino became unavailable. But they called in Baumann who's form looked just as bad as when I'd last seen it. Glendale actually has two TH prospects to follow: Kelepi Fefita and Nick Kwasniewski (former JAA). Yet I think the best prospect is Paul Mullen former JAA, Ireland U19 and Munster U20, U19, U18.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 16:58

Fry would be loosehead #2, at least IMO. Baumann needs match time. I wonder if he ends up signing with an MLR team after the Prem ends.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 02 Apr 2018, 19:39

I was very keen on seeing Fry back in the Eagles shirt last Autumn, but the injury took him down. If he's en forme I'd like to see him this Summer.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 06:31

Maughan Telea and Ainuu are all names I forgot. Feel like there is a lot of healthy young depth. Not to mention guys mentioned by Stro that are now involved in MLR like Paul Mullen.

If I had to predict for 2019 I’d say:

LH: Titi, Huluholo
TH: Waldren, Ryan (assume he gets back to form)

Reserves I suspect would skew younger like Taufetee in 2015: Maclellan, kwansinski, Wengleski

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 18:08

Dean Barrett has resigned from USA Rugby: http://www.rugbytoday.com/elite/dean-ba ... usar-board

Postby 4N » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 18:12

With all the prop talk people shouldn't forget Roman Salanoa, in the Leinster academy wider squad. Probably a good bet for 2023 along with Ainuu and some others.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 18:42

Unless you can cap tie him quickly if he is good Ireland will probably cap him just in case they need him later.

Postby 4N » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 18:59

sk 88 wrote:Unless you can cap tie him quickly if he is good Ireland will probably cap him just in case they need him later.

Very good point, he should be capped soon. Maybe in the ARC next year.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 19:09

sk 88 wrote:Unless you can cap tie him quickly if he is good Ireland will probably cap him just in case they need him later.

If he's good we can capture him in the APC...

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 19:51

4N wrote:With all the prop talk people shouldn't forget Roman Salanoa, in the Leinster academy wider squad. Probably a good bet for 2023 along with Ainuu and some others.

Suiram mentioned him but yeah, definitely one to watch from the sound of things.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 22:37

TheStroBro wrote:

If he's good we can capture him in the APC...

If he wants to be capped by the Eagles. I don't know if he'll ever be Ireland good but could Samoa be an option for him?

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 00:59

Salanoa has only been in Ireland for 6 months, Ireland can’t cap him for another 2.5 years assuming he lives there nonstop. He’s also only in the subacademy so it’s less likely for Ireland to fasttrack him. Samoa on the other hand...

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 20:18

Coloradoan wrote:Couple other front row prospects in Maughan, Telea and Ainuu. The latter 2 are probably not going to be ready in time for the RWC, but I'd be surprised, barring injury, if they weren't both there in 2023. They're both U20 eligible as well. I know we don't devote a lot of resources to our U20 program, and perhaps rightly so given the cash crunch USAR has had lately, but a decently resourced team should be good enough to win the JWRT: Ainuu, Telea, Zamudio, Nafi Maafu, Devin Short, de Haas, Fualaau, Quinn Perry (who has reportedly been playing quite well in the PRP), Kieran Farmer, Ryan James, Mika Kruse and probably a couple Cal guys (unsure who is actually eligible or would be interested). I'd imagine MLR and the establishment of MLR academies will be big for keeping young talent in the game and developing that talent so we really should be shooting to play in the JWC annually with the big boys.

Of the Cal guys, Willey & Dyer (who was capped last season) still qualify, freshman centre Kevin Saunders has been getting regular 1st team time. Life's Justin Johnson (who was capped last season) qualifies. From St Mary's, Lopeti and Murphy qualify and have big roles to play. UCLA's wing Ben Broselle is 18 and is spending time at Chula Vista and has played for the Falcons 7's team. Campbell Johnstone of Mount St Mary, played in the centre for Capital Selects in their exhibition games. He was capped at U18 last season. Iona's freshman scrum half Conor Buckley is an option at half back.

From the Raptors, other than James & Kruse who you mention, Second row Dacey qualifies as does scrum half Christmann. Both have played for the MLR team in their warm up games. Flanker Jack Miller was capped last year and plays for the Merlins Academy team, he is still available for the U20's as is big centre Siala Maka who has also been capped by the Falcons 7s team. NOLA's jumbo teenage lock Waquespack is an option. SD Legions Faitala Talapusi is currently with Tiger in Hong Kong and is still only 18. Austin Elites hooker David LeMasters has just turned 20 so also qualifies.

Also in HK with Tiger is 17 year old fly half Inoke Waqavesi, still at High School in Sacramento. Another High School student, No.8 Bailey Wilson from Utah was capped last year and has also trialed with Scotland U20's. Other high school wonder kids are Mike Weir, Fly Half - Doylestown and Fort Hunt's scrum half Conor McManus

NZ based Sam Walsh who started both games last year and has played for the Falcons 7's could start at 10.

It could be the strongest USA U20 squad ever. I hope that a lack of funding and college politics don't result in a failure to collate the strongest roster.
Last edited by cardiffrcm on Fri, 06 Apr 2018, 06:00, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 21:58

You must be retired or working a government job. How do you have this much time to look up USA Rugby prospects?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 22:00

Tobar wrote:You must be retired or working a government job. How do you have this much time to look up USA Rugby prospects?

When I read or see/watch something interesting, I write it down.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 22:13

I haven’t even gotten to the point of reading about/seeing these players

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 14 Apr 2018, 04:03

Chad Keck has resigned from his position on the USAR Board.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Gareth 1014 Rugby » Wed, 18 Apr 2018, 06:52

hi all,
we have just posted a video on USA Rugby over on Youtube, we hope you enjoy,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2xW47-4jgQ
Gareth

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum