Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: USA Rugby

Postby welshdragon2000 » Tue, 06 Nov 2018, 09:35

It’s nice to see those names going into the squad. I hope Ainuu gets a chance. It was a rather disappointing result against the Māori I thought but not a true representation of where USA are at give their best players weren’t available to them. Samoa will be a tough game and I think they’ll be performing much better this month that in previous international breaks. I really hope USA win though. I’m going for a 25-17 win for the USA.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby welshdragon2000 » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 09:58

Any word on where Hanco Germushuys will be playing his rugby? He’s currently unattached and seems to have a good future ahead of him.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 15:10

I'll ask him when the tour is over.

Postby 4N » Mon, 10 Dec 2018, 15:03

Iowa’s Deion Mikesell to Clermont. For those who follow football recruiting, his SPARQ numbers are ridiculous. Elite athlete with lots of potential.

https://www.asm-rugby.com/actus/un-espo ... ormation-0

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 10 Dec 2018, 15:08

Even more importantly hidden in the article, Deion is going to NOLA after 4 months with Clermont.

Deion Mikesell, one of the most promising prospects of the US Rugby (21 years, 2 selections with the Eagles), has joined the ASM Training Center where he will spend 4 months before joining the Major League Rugby he will compete with the NOLA team (New Orleans).

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 14 Jan 2019, 14:43

Quinn Perry is putting rugby on hold to play college football. He's got scholarship offers from a number of D1 schools and is likely to sign with Colorado next month. Disappointing from a rugby perspective but it sounds like he has made some big strides athletically which will be good if he comes back to rugby eventually.

Postby 4N » Mon, 14 Jan 2019, 15:41

OT but has there been a recruiting bump with Tucker?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 14 Jan 2019, 16:22

USA Rugby and Canterbury North America sign kit provider partnership. Lordy did I hate the previous kits from Canterbury.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 14 Jan 2019, 19:53

4N wrote:OT but has there been a recruiting bump with Tucker?

A small bump but it's tough to make that much of an impact with a coaching change just before the new early signing period. He's definitely getting in the mix for better guys than before and he's also expanding the recruiting footprint to the South so we shall see. But in general everyone that has interacted with Tucker has raved about him, saying he's both down to earth and very focused.

Postby 4N » Mon, 14 Jan 2019, 20:09

:thumbup: rooting for him to do well there.

National Flag:
Vatican StateVatican State

Postby MikeN » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 01:24

Please excuse my ignorance and laziness at not looking it up myself but are any of the USA 7s side likely to play in the RWC?

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 02:54

Nope, don't see any shot of them playing for the Eagles. They've been on the circuit for a while now and none have played a test match in years, if at all.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 04:10

Tobar wrote:Nope, don't see any shot of them playing for the Eagles. They've been on the circuit for a while now and none have played a test match in years, if at all.

Yeah, they'd have had to have committed themselves to 15s for the year I think. Iosefo, Niua and maybe Leuta are the only guys who would have a real shot at making it if they committed anyway. And honestly, the division between 7s and 15s is working as well as possible at the moment. We've got our best ever rankings and results in the past year for both programs.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 05:19

MikeN wrote:Please excuse my ignorance and laziness at not looking it up myself but are any of the USA 7s side likely to play in the RWC?

Those guys? None of them have played Club XVs in years. Madison Hughes being parachuted into XVs camp under Mitch was horrible. Fish out of Water. Malon Al Jiboori left 7s Residency so he could play for the Raptors and work himself into the XVs squad. but geeze we've got wealth in the backrow.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 09:52

Does anyone know what has happened to Samu Manoa? He was released "on compassionate grounds" by Cardiff Blues earlier this season. Is he playing in the ARC?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 15:55

Figaro wrote:Does anyone know what has happened to Samu Manoa? He was released "on compassionate grounds" by Cardiff Blues earlier this season. Is he playing in the ARC?

He was called up for the ARC. For Samu it's very simple. He's back home in the bay right now. While with Toulon they didn't allow him to return to the states. He's a father of five, his children weren't with him in Cardiff and there have been a few close family members that passed away while he was in Toulon and Cardiff. When it comes to family, it's everything. He'll be going back to Europe shortly.

For the ARC, Gary called up a big squad, so he'll be rotated in when some of the European guys have to rotate back.

National Flag:
Vatican StateVatican State

Postby MikeN » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 20:52

TheStroBro wrote:
MikeN wrote:Please excuse my ignorance and laziness at not looking it up myself but are any of the USA 7s side likely to play in the RWC?

Those guys? None of them have played Club XVs in years. Madison Hughes being parachuted into XVs camp under Mitch was horrible. Fish out of Water. Malon Al Jiboori left 7s Residency so he could play for the Raptors and work himself into the XVs squad. but geeze we've got wealth in the backrow.

Thanks for your answers guys.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby welshdragon2000 » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 01:23

What do people think of Ruben de Haas so far? For me he’s showing that he’ll displace Shaun Davies very soon. I also heard that there’s another young scrum half, van Schalkwyk, in the squad. I was told that he’s usually seen as a fly half but he’s been listed as a scrum half. Could he potentially be a long term starter at fly half?
And then there’s young Harley Wheeler who was brought into the squad for the ARC. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on, Steve Lewis on Rugby wrap up was singing his praises.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 01:45

welshdragon2000 wrote:What do people think of Ruben de Haas so far? For me he’s showing that he’ll displace Shaun Davies very soon. I also heard that there’s another young scrum half, van Schalkwyk, in the squad. I was told that he’s usually seen as a fly half but he’s been listed as a scrum half. Could he potentially be a long term starter at fly half?
And then there’s young Harley Wheeler who was brought into the squad for the ARC. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on, Steve Lewis on Rugby wrap up was singing his praises.

Ruben De Haas will be the long term answer at Scrumhalf. There's another 9 that's playing in the MLR who was also called up for the ARC in Nick Boyer. He's a bit stockier than De Haas, but they're both tall 9s. Van Schalkwyck would be the smallest fly-half battling for a shot at a deep position. I think they wanted to bring him into camp to see what he can do but won't be capped.

Ruben De Haas grew up in Arkansas but is originally from RSA, he's playing in the Cheetahs Academy and will be making his debut in the Pro14 at some point. He's made a few travel squads but hasn't been named yet. If you've not see Nick Boyer, he can get after it as well. Ruben will likely replace Davies as the number one, Boyer comes in at number 2. Van Schalkwyck is an excellent 10, I've never seen him play 9.

Harley Wheeler is a pretty athletic wing that might get a shot during the ARC if we get any injuries.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 03:12

TheStroBro wrote:
Figaro wrote:Does anyone know what has happened to Samu Manoa? He was released "on compassionate grounds" by Cardiff Blues earlier this season. Is he playing in the ARC?

He was called up for the ARC. For Samu it's very simple. He's back home in the bay right now. While with Toulon they didn't allow him to return to the states. He's a father of five, his children weren't with him in Cardiff and there have been a few close family members that passed away while he was in Toulon and Cardiff. When it comes to family, it's everything. He'll be going back to Europe shortly.

For the ARC, Gary called up a big squad, so he'll be rotated in when some of the European guys have to rotate back.

I would imagine that it makes a lot of sense for Samu to sign a short term deal with an MLR club just to stay in competitive shape after the ARC. A player of his status can work out whatever deal he wants to stay at home as much as possible and only come out to practice intermittently. Tim/Lou Stanfill did this for 1 or 2 games last year so surely Samu can do the same.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby welshdragon2000 » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 09:44

TheStroBro wrote:
welshdragon2000 wrote:What do people think of Ruben de Haas so far? For me he’s showing that he’ll displace Shaun Davies very soon. I also heard that there’s another young scrum half, van Schalkwyk, in the squad. I was told that he’s usually seen as a fly half but he’s been listed as a scrum half. Could he potentially be a long term starter at fly half?

Ruben De Haas will be the long term answer at Scrumhalf. There's another 9 that's playing in the MLR who was also called up for the ARC in Nick Boyer. He's a bit stockier than De Haas, but they're both tall 9s. Van Schalkwyck would be the smallest fly-half battling for a shot at a deep position. I think they wanted to bring him into camp to see what he can do but won't be capped.

Ruben De Haas grew up in Arkansas but is originally from RSA, he's playing in the Cheetahs Academy and will be making his debut in the Pro14 at some point. He's made a few travel squads but hasn't been named yet. If you've not see Nick Boyer, he can get after it as well. Ruben will likely replace Davies as the number one, Boyer comes in at number 2. Van Schalkwyck is an excellent 10, I've never seen him play 9.

Harley Wheeler is a pretty athletic wing that might get a shot during the ARC if we get any injuries.

Thanks, nice analysis. I know who to ask about USA rugby now lol

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 17:01

Six Nations: France - Wales: 126 k viewers on NBCSN
Six Nations: Scotland - Italy: 128 k viewers on NBCSN

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 17:15

Where’d you get these numbers? Any idea on ENG-IRE? I’d imagine it’d be higher.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 19:22

Tobar wrote:Where’d you get these numbers? Any idea on ENG-IRE? I’d imagine it’d be higher.

I don't know about that...but Six Nations Rugby made it onto Saturday's top 150! http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/s ... -2019.html

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 19:29

Looks like that's the source. But I guess then its the England-Ireland game with 128k viewers?
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum