Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: USA Rugby

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 11:47

Postby 4N » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 23:14

Joe Taufetee did his MCL, out for 10 weeks. Get well soon big man, hopefully fit for for June tests.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 05 Mar 2018, 16:40

So a grand slam of the ARC and winning the Las Vegas 7s cup...not to shabby.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 05 Mar 2018, 23:56

Dan Payne has resigned as CEO, he will step down following RWC 7s.

Postby 4N » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 00:22

Best wishes. He inherited a tough gig.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 16:00

TheStroBro wrote:So a grand slam of the ARC and winning the Las Vegas 7s cup...not to shabby.

I reckon it's def the best weekend for USA men's rugby in the modern era. And yes, I called the ARC Champs win a Grand Slam too!

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 16:01

TheStroBro wrote:Dan Payne has resigned as CEO, he will step down following RWC 7s.

Damn! That's a sour note to end a fab weekend on. Replacement ideas? Tony Ridnell? Dan Lyle?

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 19:34

YamahaKiwi wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:Dan Payne has resigned as CEO, he will step down following RWC 7s.

Damn! That's a sour note to end a fab weekend on. Replacement ideas? Tony Ridnell? Dan Lyle?

As much as Tony would love to be CEO there’s no way he’d get the gig. He’s better suited to be a board member anyway. Lyle is also running AEG Rugby so no reason to step away from that.

Postby 4N » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 19:57

If he would take the job, Nathan Bombrys.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 22:48

4N wrote:If he would take the job, Nathan Bombrys.

He's the guy currently @ Scottish rfu is that right? What's his history. Is he a Yank? Why do you think he'd be good? I didn't think Ridnell woukd get voted for that. I saw from a Pat Clifton story a while ago he got rejected for a USARFU board place. Looks like people currently on the board would not feel comfortable with someone calling them to account for bs done in recent times.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 06 Mar 2018, 23:03

Bombrys would be great. Basically ticks all the boxes in that he would come in understanding the American rugby and overall sporting landscape, have both corporate and European rugby connections from his time in Glasgow and probably most of all proven competence and success in a similar role.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 07 Mar 2018, 00:18

YamahaKiwi wrote:
4N wrote:If he would take the job, Nathan Bombrys.

He's the guy currently @ Scottish rfu is that right? What's his history. Is he a Yank? Why do you think he'd be good? I didn't think Ridnell woukd get voted for that. I saw from a Pat Clifton story a while ago he got rejected for a USARFU board place. Looks like people currently on the board would not feel comfortable with someone calling them to account for bs done in recent times.

Ridnell is not a CEO candidate. He runs a business that has 10X the revenue of USAR. But he is a perfect board guy.

Nathan is also a perfect board candidate, in fact he's Chairman material having been groomed by the SRU. He apparently was willing to take a pay cut to come back and be CEO of USAR the last round. Not sure if it's a good play or where he's needed.

Nathan moved to the UK years back and has worked in the Premiership and now the Pro 14.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 09 Mar 2018, 23:44

This is truly an astounding piece: http://www.rugbytoday.com/elite/congres ... losses-trc

27k to break even, scheduled up against the CRC 7s and in the same general region as the CRC 7s. Total joke organization.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 10 Mar 2018, 02:19

I can't imagine there's too many Welsh expats living in the Washington area. The timing and teams involved with this match are very strange.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Sat, 10 Mar 2018, 13:25

Coloradoan wrote:This is truly an astounding piece: http://www.rugbytoday.com/elite/congres ... losses-trc

27k to break even, scheduled up against the CRC 7s and in the same general region as the CRC 7s. Total joke organization.

I don't understand why Dan Payne would switch from USAR to RIM when it sound like the organisation is going to be (quite correctly) wound up.

It must also question comments made by Will Chang in his recent interview on RWU. He indicated that RIM and TRC was now in a very healthy place, which clearly wasn't true.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 10 Mar 2018, 15:15

cardiffrcm wrote:
I don't understand why Dan Payne would switch from USAR to RIM when it sound like the organisation is going to be (quite correctly) wound up.

It must also question comments made by Will Chang in his recent interview on RWU. He indicated that RIM and TRC was now in a very healthy place, which clearly wasn't true.

Dan is leaving USAR as CEO in August and has been appoint RIM Chairman in the interim. The Previous chair was Chad Keck, he was removed/forced to resign. The move is to give the USAR CEO direct oversight/control over RIM which he did not have for the previous 18 months. There was a vacated RIM board spot that belongs to USAR which was vacated by Pete Secchia. From what I understand, when Dan leaves USAR he will take that seat on the RIM Board and the new CEO will be chair of the RIM Board.

I believe TRC will be sold to FLO shortly and the deal isn't really good for us, it does get RIM a bunch of cash, but it will probably inhibit the exposure of the Eagles products.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Sat, 10 Mar 2018, 15:51

TheStroBro wrote:
cardiffrcm wrote:

Dan is leaving USAR as CEO in August and has been appoint RIM Chairman in the interim. The Previous chair was Chad Keck, he was removed/forced to resign. The move is to give the USAR CEO direct oversight/control over RIM which he did not have for the previous 18 months. There was a vacated RIM board spot that belongs to USAR which was vacated by Pete Secchia. From what I understand, when Dan leaves USAR he will take that seat on the RIM Board and the new CEO will be chair of the RIM Board.

I believe TRC will be sold to FLO shortly and the deal isn't really good for us, it does get RIM a bunch of cash, but it will probably inhibit the exposure of the Eagles products.

So you think that Dan's role will be an interim whilst RIM is sold? That would make sense.

Whilst FLO is more expensive that TRC it's content and delivery is superior. I understand your concerns but TRC was not doing much to #growthegame

With RIM out of the picture, maybe USAR can now try and market and make some money out of the International game.

Postby 4N » Sat, 10 Mar 2018, 15:55

Trying to squeeze the small rugby community to pay to watch Eagles matches is just a flawed model. It's unfortunate they didn't listen to the people saying it 2 years ago, could have prevented all of this.

National Flag:

Postby Deadtigers » Sat, 10 Mar 2018, 17:55

What's up hitches!!! Been gone for a while. Been so wrapped up in politics.

Anyway, is Hanco going to be converted to a 2 still. I have no problem with him at 6 but they say he is short, so just wondering.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 10 Mar 2018, 18:31

cardiffrcm wrote:
So you think that Dan's role will be an interim whilst RIM is sold? That would make sense.

Whilst FLO is more expensive that TRC it's content and delivery is superior. I understand your concerns but TRC was not doing much to #growthegame

With RIM out of the picture, maybe USAR can now try and market and make some money out of the International game.

There is an offer on the table from FLO. TRC will either be sold or shut down, they mentioned something about a partnership but I don't think anyone is at the table wanting to partner with TRC right now.

RIM, to be honest should be shut down. For the most part the investments by the RFU, Harlequins and CSM have been written off, or at least could be. The total investment was pretty small when you account for their total revenues. If RIM does not get shut down and still runs USAR events and negotiates sponsor rights we're still kind of fucked.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Sat, 10 Mar 2018, 19:14

TheStroBro wrote:
cardiffrcm wrote:

There is an offer on the table from FLO. TRC will either be sold or shut down, they mentioned something about a partnership but I don't think anyone is at the table wanting to partner with TRC right now.

RIM, to be honest should be shut down. For the most part the investments by the RFU, Harlequins and CSM have been written off, or at least could be. The total investment was pretty small when you account for their total revenues. If RIM does not get shut down and still runs USAR events and negotiates sponsor rights we're still kind of fucked.

It sounds like TRC is history.

However, making money from International Rugby is important. The US now needs to build a consistent, coherent and profitable International program. All T1 teams fund their national game, professional rugby and grass roots development by the profits generated from their International Rugby.

Selling out the game against Scotland in Houston will be a good start.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 05:41

The way to make money on International matches is to hire an event promoter that is the best in the business. That's AEG. AEG can also negotiate sponsorhip, AEG also owns venues. UWS and USAR's relationship is sour so partnering with them would be tough. IMG backed out of a deal USAR for college products so that relationship is also sour. Not really sure about Legacy Agency. But Dan Lyle wants to help American Rugby and move it forward, so you have a dude who's willing and pushing the game.

The Wales-RSA match that RIM signed up to promote could bleed them out of the rest of their cash.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 11 Mar 2018, 15:08

RIM should approach NBC Sports, ESPN or CBS Sports and take whatever the hell they can get. Far better to have it on a major network that is already investing in rugby than to give it to FloRugby which will just stick it behind another paywall. Yes, Flo will be a big step up from TRC's quality and content but it's really just switching to a marginally better situation.

If, however, USAR can convince NBC Sports to take it on and do something like a live stream on their website or watch whenever with Gold (which is the same that they offer for their Prem rugby matches) then that would be far better. Still kinda behind a paywall but at least you can watch it live and people will recognize NBCSN. Then there's the off chance that they actually show it on TV....

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 18:44

It sounds like they have already talked to quite a few of them. I am sure there was interest but its probably a question of how much they are willing to pay. TRC has assets in terms of the rights to USAR content, the brand, and the domain I guess (and the subscribers). You could see an ESPN acquire TRC, make it an alternative arrival point for their broader streamable rugby content, but replace the back end with the same watchESPN format. I think the concept of a dedicated rugby channel is appealing internationally if you actually owned the rights to quite abit of international rugby.

The issue was always they never actually secured much content which is a bit embarrassing as they were supposed to be more clever than USAR. And it turned out not so much. RIM in theory made some sense and I do agree that for better or worse Nigel leveraged his relationships to get other people to fund us (Harlequins and RFU), so in some sense, RIM lost other peoples money, not USAR. But it would have made more sense to realize the issue of content when they actually lost it (like 2 years ago).

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 20:21

I don't know about Harlequins, but the RFU's funding was pure charity. Nothing more. If we were attempting to build our own ground and training center that we could monetize the RFU would be willing to give us significant funds. That's where they're looking at, national stadium development in T2 countries.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum