Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: USA Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 22:41

We're finally seeing some strategic moves by the Union. Having all of the Winter Tests in California to build awareness around Rugby in the build towards RWC 7s shows people were looking at Data. The Los Angeles Market has a lot of Rugby within it, so there's good awareness in general.

If we're only looking at the Rugby Community, when I went to the 2nd Test of the Women's CANAM series about half of the people I spoke with were from Los Angeles County. That was a poorly marketed Test and SCRFU threw together a morning girls rugby tournament which swelled the ticket sales.

In June when I went for the 2nd of the WCQ, there was a significant pull from LACO as well. Now, should we focus on the Rugby community, no, especially when we're in a 25k-30k seat venue. Now, why the third match is at Titans Stadium...no clue, that should be at Avaya. But, it's a nice pitch.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 22:55

TheStroBro wrote:We're finally seeing some strategic moves by the Union. Having all of the Winter Tests in California to build awareness around Rugby in the build towards RWC 7s shows people were looking at Data. The Los Angeles Market has a lot of Rugby within it, so there's good awareness in general.

If we're only looking at the Rugby Community, when I went to the 2nd Test of the Women's CANAM series about half of the people I spoke with were from Los Angeles County. That was a poorly marketed Test and SCRFU threw together a morning girls rugby tournament which swelled the ticket sales.

In June when I went for the 2nd of the WCQ, there was a significant pull from LACO as well. Now, should we focus on the Rugby community, no, especially when we're in a 25k-30k seat venue. Now, why the third match is at Titans Stadium...no clue, that should be at Avaya. But, it's a nice pitch.

Huh? None of the California tests are even in the Bay Area. Having a test in Sacramento will do exactly nothing to raise awareness of the RWC 7s in the Bay Area. LA may have its share of rugby clubs but they've shown time and time again that they do not support events well. Everything they've hosted has had garbage attendance.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 16 Jan 2018, 23:19

Coloradoan wrote:Huh? None of the California tests are even in the Bay Area. Having a test in Sacramento will do exactly nothing to raise awareness of the RWC 7s in the Bay Area. LA may have its share of rugby clubs but they've shown time and time again that they do not support events well. Everything they've hosted has had garbage attendance.

Who is that on though? The locals or the Union for not doing any marketing? Because the Union did no marketing outside of Facebook Ad Buys for San Diego and Kennesaw this last summer.

So USA 7s were held at Stubhub from 2004-2006, considering I grew up like 40 miles away...no awareness whatsoever. So then you move it San Diego, another flop. It's taken 8 years of being in a consistent place to start making money with UWS at the helm.

National Flag:

Postby SDyeti » Wed, 17 Jan 2018, 00:34

TheStroBro wrote: Now, why the third match is at Titans Stadium...no clue, that should be at Avaya. But, it's a nice pitch.

I'm willing to bet that the match vs Chili is in a smaller stadium because Chile isn't exactly a big draw. If I remember correctly we didn't really fill Avaya when Italy came through in 2016.

The real question in my mind is why isn't the Chile match in SD or somewhere else with a nice 4-6k seat stadium that isn't too expensive. Hopefully Titan Stadium isn't costing them too much.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 17 Jan 2018, 02:54

TheStroBro wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:Huh? None of the California tests are even in the Bay Area. Having a test in Sacramento will do exactly nothing to raise awareness of the RWC 7s in the Bay Area. LA may have its share of rugby clubs but they've shown time and time again that they do not support events well. Everything they've hosted has had garbage attendance.

Who is that on though? The locals or the Union for not doing any marketing? Because the Union did no marketing outside of Facebook Ad Buys for San Diego and Kennesaw this last summer.

So USA 7s were held at Stubhub from 2004-2006, considering I grew up like 40 miles away...no awareness whatsoever. So then you move it San Diego, another flop. It's taken 8 years of being in a consistent place to start making money with UWS at the helm.

Attendances doubled pretty much overnight by moving from Carson to SD. Sure you can certainly blame USAR for bad marketing in the past, but you can do that for every test. LA is just a terrible sports market. The Rams, who not only had a great season on the field but actually had a history in LA, had the worst % full stadium of any team in the NFL this year. There was a running joke about how bad the Rams attendance was this year. The Chargers did better on a percentage basis, but not much can be UCLA basketball, a true blue blood of college basketball with its best team in a decade and a special player in Lonzo Ball, last year managed to get the 32nd best crowd in D1 college basketball. USC, who also had one of their best teams in recent memory, weren't even in the top 100. LA also has the special honor of being the only city to have an MLS team fold in the past decade. NBA and NHL attendances are middle of the pack. USC football is pretty much the only thing that gets a decent crowd in its sport. It's gotta be the worst sports market outside of Florida.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 17 Jan 2018, 04:38

Bringing the NFL back to Los Angeles, dumbest idea in the world. USC, I wish I could care less, but that team was trash. Hasn't been the same for them since Pistol Pete ran off.

UCLA...well they hired a rape apologist as HC to lead the Basketball Program. Also an incompetent AD. LA Chivas was a poor idea, just like LA FC is.

You want the NFL to succeed in the LA market, the only team that would do that for you is in the midst of a move to Vegas. Lakers games are always packed for lord knows what reason, people like going to be seen, the Clippers, well they suck. I suppose that's what happens when you never dump 10 feet of snow on the place.

Postby 4N » Wed, 17 Jan 2018, 16:57

This sounds like a bit of a farce. I bet poor ticket sales were part of it.

http://www.rugbytoday.com/international ... ncellation

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Wed, 17 Jan 2018, 19:02

The rugby league fan with his negativity

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 17 Jan 2018, 19:02

4N wrote:This sounds like a bit of a farce. I bet poor ticket sales were part of it.

http://www.rugbytoday.com/international ... ncellation

Well, I'll let you know about ticket sales when I get there.

Postby 4N » Thu, 18 Jan 2018, 00:33

Osmanperalta wrote:The rugby league fan with his negativity

Fan of both codes. :)

National Flag:

Postby SDyeti » Thu, 18 Jan 2018, 01:09

4N wrote:This sounds like a bit of a farce. I bet poor ticket sales were part of it.

I attempted a rough count yesterday while at work and. I came up with around 5.5k sold.

Again it seems that not all areas of the stadium have been available on the ticket website. But from what sections are available it seems like 5.5k have sold.

Also, when I say "sold" that means they are not available. I suppose those tickets could very well be held for secondary markets...like StubHub...or others like that.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 18 Jan 2018, 15:51

SDyeti wrote:

I attempted a rough count yesterday while at work and. I came up with around 5.5k sold.

Again it seems that not all areas of the stadium have been available on the ticket website. But from what sections are available it seems like 5.5k have sold.

Also, when I say "sold" that means they are not available. I suppose those tickets could very well be held for secondary markets...like StubHub...or others like that.

Speaking of StubHub, I love how the SD/LA Chargers don't want their fans to use secondary markets like StubHub. This isn't that odd unless you consider the fact that the stadium is called StubHub Center.

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/3/ ... ng-stubhub

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 18 Jan 2018, 16:25

So in 2016 UCLA was playing at ASU when I still lived in Texas, and my girlfriend lived in Arizona. I was here for the weekend because we had a race...gawd that was an awful day. For similar tickets through the ASU Website was going to play like $160. Bought them on Stubhub for $80, saving myself 50%...lol wtf.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 16:20

http://www.rugbytoday.com/7s/injuries-b ... ew-zealand

It's a bit of a deep dive, he sort of states there's been a lack of attempt to create depth in saying we haven't found that one guy in the pool. But for me it's not enough, I honestly don't think most of this squad should be around past the last match of the Olympics in 2019. Most will be 30 or well past. When it comes to Olympic Sports, very few people have the longevity of the Usain Bolt's and Michael Phelps'. Our team needs to be young every time. And it says a lot about where we are with the ARC that only some guys are released. However, I'm not sure Malon Al-Jiboori should be a 7s player. Not because he can't do it, but that's he'd be limiting his potential as a XVs player.

I personally look at 7s as a development tool for outside backs and loose forwards. That 7s is a young man's game. What we are seeing now is something we've seen in the past, lack of depth and development. They clearly have not spent the time scouting and converting the next Baker or Isles.

Postby 4N » Wed, 31 Jan 2018, 16:44

TheStroBro wrote:http://www.rugbytoday.com/7s/injuries-breed-opportunity-eagles-limp-new-zealand

It's a bit of a deep dive, he sort of states there's been a lack of attempt to create depth in saying we haven't found that one guy in the pool. But for me it's not enough, I honestly don't think most of this squad should be around past the last match of the Olympics in 2019. Most will be 30 or well past. When it comes to Olympic Sports, very few people have the longevity of the Usain Bolt's and Michael Phelps'. Our team needs to be young every time. And it says a lot about where we are with the ARC that only some guys are released. However, I'm not sure Malon Al-Jiboori should be a 7s player. Not because he can't do it, but that's he'd be limiting his potential as a XVs player.

I personally look at 7s as a development tool for outside backs and loose forwards. That 7s is a young man's game. What we are seeing now is something we've seen in the past, lack of depth and development. They clearly have not spent the time scouting and converting the next Baker or Isles.

I agree. They seem to see a future for Matai Leuta but idk. He's been slow to develop. Tomasin and Pinkelman are the future of the side but they need outside backs big time. Although Baker doesn't show signs of slowing down and doesn't have a lot of pro mileage on him, wonder if he plays into his mid 30s. Kevon Williams is another "late bloomer," should be around a while despite his age.

Edit: and Unufe is still pretty young.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Thu, 01 Feb 2018, 17:35

I dont think its really fair to say Friday is failing to develop players. First and foremost his goal is to create a top winning side and he has done that. That also makes the 7s program more likely to get funded and more attractive to young talented players. The reality is that there is a huge gap between top-tier domestic 7s and the WS. And bridging that gap takes time. Time requires $ spent to bring players into residency. He is primarily limited by $.

I think there is also a very clear reason he is bringing so many teenagers into the OTC or at least for high performance camps. He knows it will take a few years to develop no matter how good they are. Tomasin and Pinkelman are both amazing players now, but keep in mind Tomasin couldn't even crack the squad a couple years ago (and I dont think that was just not getting a chance, I dont think he was the same player he became last year). Pinkelman kind of exploded onto the stage to be fair, but he was developing prior to the invite for awhile.

Its interesting the note that Williams is being transitioned to scrumhalf. To me this makes a lot of sense, because he never did seem to have the speed of a wing for the WS, that people always assumed.

Friday has always made the point he wants to identify and develop rugby players. I think he realizes, rightly so, that he cannot bank of finding the next Isles / Baker. It is not a given that US 7s will always have the 2 fastest players in world rugby on their team. They need to prepare for a future that isnt dependent on finding a very rare person (keep in mind that Isles especially and Baker are uniquely fast across sports, but suffered from lets say small / odd frames that limited their opportunities outside rugby).

I dont doubt we can continue to find and develop high quality 7s forwards. Centers also seem to not be a real risk. Wings, while they may not always be lightning, seem to be abundant. The pivot positions are the biggest risk, especially Nuia. I remember 3-4 years ago people kept mentioning we need to find a replacement for Nuia, thinking he was too slow. But then he was suspended for 3 games in HK and the team fell apart. His kickoffs, skip passes, field marshaling, and defense are truly vital. And I dont really see anyone in the program currently that could replace him. Hughes had Augsperger behind him before, but I had been a bit worried now. It seems like Friday has faith in a few options there.

Looking at the other top 7s nations, it seems like Friday is doing things the right way. Some long term players the provide continuity, some great athletes that may only come in for a couple years, and quite a few guys that are unproven, but developing who get eased into travelling and playing time.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 01 Feb 2018, 18:22

Niua is one of my favorite players...his problem will be father time. He's 34.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 01 Feb 2018, 22:09

The real underrated part of Baker's game is in the air. Sure he's got blazing speed and a level of agility to go with it that Isles never had or will have, but he goes up and wins a ton of restarts, which are so important in 7s, where possession is everything.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Thu, 01 Feb 2018, 22:19

First of all, I agree. Nuia is amazing. Especially considering we are talking about 7s and losing a step can be a big issue.

Coloradoan wrote:The real underrated part of Baker's game is in the air. Sure he's got blazing speed and a level of agility to go with it that Isles never had or will have, but he goes up and wins a ton of restarts, which are so important in 7s, where possession is everything.

Again, agree with this. Unufe is a complete freak for restarts, but Baker holds his own. One thing thats exciting if Unufe starts at 9 is having Unufe, Baker, Pinkelman and all other available to claim restarts. If they are firing on all cylinders they could easily maintain that 50% win rate for their own restarts.

Its absolutely amazing when they can keep winning it because they just never give the opposition a chance to play.

Postby 4N » Sat, 03 Feb 2018, 15:06

Leuta was poor again, not fit enough. Williams looked decent. Pinkelman was awesome. I believe Iosefo got injured, they had a short bench vs Kenya.

National Flag:

Postby MLB3BB2 » Sun, 04 Feb 2018, 20:21

Congrats USA Eagles for the win over Argentina XV! Great way for Gary Gold to start his tenure as Eagles head coach.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 20:20

USA Rugby Announces Emirates Summer Series: https://www.earfulofdirt.com/2018/02/us ... rates.html

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 20:52

Really only 2 tests this summer? What keeps happening that the US can only organize 2? Or is another going to be in Canada or something?

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 21:26

2 tests would be really lame, especially after only 2 tests in November. We can be pretty sure that the 2nd opponent is a REC team since they won't announce it until after the RWCQs are done for them. They're pretty clearly trying to avoid a scheduling conflict with Europe 2, since that team will have a repechage with Samoa in June. Most likely it's Germany and they're just trying to avoid the off chance they end up as Europe 2.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 08 Feb 2018, 22:54

Won't be Germany. Otherwise it would be there. DP Confirmed to us in September that it was Germany, following the Player Strike I don't see that happening. It would be like the Eagles playing Mexico.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum