Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: USA Rugby

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 16:43

Right, but those large squad numbers also extend to the professional level, where football teams have much larger squads. Basketball players are also less likely to be physically broken (multiple concussions, shot knees, whatever else) than football players.

A few years back the AFL (the Australian kind) held a combine for potential basketball crossovers in LA. I'm not sure if that turned into an annual thing or not, but it's something USAR and/or MLR should look into either doing themselves or co-hosting with the AFL.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 16:55

I believe Gorgadze and Castrogiovanni both converted from basketball around 16 too.

Postby 4N » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 17:06

Jerome Thion was in one of France's top basketball academies when Racing-Metro recruited him to play rugby.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 20:42

Coloradoan wrote:Right, but those large squad numbers also extend to the professional level, where football teams have much larger squads. Basketball players are also less likely to be physically broken (multiple concussions, shot knees, whatever else) than football players.

A few years back the AFL (the Australian kind) held a combine for potential basketball crossovers in LA. I'm not sure if that turned into an annual thing or not, but it's something USAR and/or MLR should look into either doing themselves or co-hosting with the AFL.

The AFL combine still happens from what I know. There was a big noise about a few guys who were brought over after impressing at the most recent event. All Basketballers.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 21:46

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:Right, but those large squad numbers also extend to the professional level, where football teams have much larger squads. Basketball players are also less likely to be physically broken (multiple concussions, shot knees, whatever else) than football players.

The AFL combine still happens from what I know. There was a big noise about a few guys who were brought over after impressing at the most recent event. All Basketballers.

I think you could probably get even better attendance at the event if it was multi-sport. Maybe you get some guys who are mildly interested in rugby and end up being a better fit for AFL and vice versa. It could be a good thing for everyone involved.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 23:35

AFL is very much still invested in sourcing US talent, in fact they lifted age limit restrictions last year for foreign players. It use to be you could only sign someone under the age of 22 who was born outside the country.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 25 Apr 2017, 18:21

USAR apparently can't figure out how to crown a women's champion, so they took the regional losers and created a separate championship in Division 1: https://www.usarugby.org/2017/04/eight- ... emifinals/

ETA: Psalm Wooching waiting on PAU to make an offer-http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/19245453/why-psalm-wooching-chose-rugby-american-dream-nfl-draft

ETA1: MLR Fan survey is live- https://sdsubusiness.qualtrics.com/jfe/ ... rce=Austin

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Thu, 27 Apr 2017, 09:20

thatrugbyguy wrote:AFL is very much still invested in sourcing US talent, in fact they lifted age limit restrictions last year for foreign players. It use to be you could only sign someone under the age of 22 who was born outside the country.

One of our best prospects was signed up by an AFL club. Connor Nash is his name. A 6'6" tall fullback who was playing for Ireland U18s when he was 16 and creating a lot of hype.

Apparently Leinster academy couldn't compete with the money Hawthorn were offering so once he turned 18 he moved down under. He was also playing Gaelic football so there was 3 sports after him but i can see why he choose to go down under.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby honestly_united » Thu, 27 Apr 2017, 09:37

As Gaelic football and Aussie rules are quite similar are there a lot of irish players playing in Australia? I can see the appeal as (i am assuming they still are) Gaelic Football was strictly amateur

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 27 Apr 2017, 10:52

thatrugbyguy wrote:AFL is very much still invested in sourcing US talent, in fact they lifted age limit restrictions last year for foreign players. It use to be you could only sign someone under the age of 22 who was born outside the country.

So apart from the yearly Irish recruts from Gaelic football and the odd PNG player, has an AFL club actually signed someone from somewhere else? Hope they don't go the Rugby League route to have events just to pretend that they are an international sport.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Thu, 27 Apr 2017, 12:26

honestly_united wrote:As Gaelic football and Aussie rules are quite similar are there a lot of irish players playing in Australia? I can see the appeal as (i am assuming they still are) Gaelic Football was strictly amateur

They have scouts here and hold trials etc. I don't know any numbers though but probably a dozen or two if i was to guess. Yeah Gaelic football is amateur so I'm sure many lads would jump at the chance to move down under.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 27 Apr 2017, 12:34

RugbyLiebe wrote:

So apart from the yearly Irish recruts from Gaelic football and the odd PNG player, has an AFL club actually signed someone from somewhere else? Hope they don't go the Rugby League route to have events just to pretend that they are an international sport.

Former Canadian Rugby international Mike Pike.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 28 Apr 2017, 23:28

The attached links I've written extensively and discuss the need to re-align collegiate rugby to aid in developing an Elite Collegiate Rugby Pathway for the Men's and Women's Eagles XVs.

https://youtu.be/ybcXZ1CQ-3c

http://thestrobro.blogspot.com/2017/04/ ... nance.html

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 11:28

Postby 4N » Sun, 30 Apr 2017, 12:57

jservuk wrote:Just an interesting read.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/gu ... -football/

Cricket is dying out in the West Indies and being replaced by soccer and American sports, particularly basketball. National and regional pastimes can be more fluid than the article suggests. It puts undue focus on the football codes in Australia. It actually reads like a primer for the uninitiated. But it doesn't prove that new sports can't be successfully introduced.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Mon, 01 May 2017, 11:48

4N wrote:
jservuk wrote:Just an interesting read.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/gu ... -football/

Cricket is dying out in the West Indies and being replaced by soccer and American sports, particularly basketball. National and regional pastimes can be more fluid than the article suggests. It puts undue focus on the football codes in Australia. It actually reads like a primer for the uninitiated. But it doesn't prove that new sports can't be successfully introduced.

I was in two minds reading the article. In relation to the US, it ignored the growing following for MLS, but i suppose it can be argued that is mainly due to the large Hispanic and European influxes, which would suggest he is right that it is about tradition.

It is said that new sports, particularly soccer attracted immense negativity from established sports media. I don't think will be the case for Rugby in the US.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 04 May 2017, 22:49

Don't think it is time for it's own thread just yet, but: http://www.thisisamericanrugby.com/2017 ... nches.html

Here we go, back in the Pros.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Fri, 05 May 2017, 10:02

So what is the difference between MLR and PRO Rugby? competing leagues or one replaces the other? interesting article.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 05 May 2017, 11:25

It's a completely different league run by completely different people. PRO is dead, it seems.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 05 May 2017, 11:26

Thomas wrote:So what is the difference between MLR and PRO Rugby? competing leagues or one replaces the other? interesting article.

Competing league that will essentially be replacing the other. From everything I've read it seems to be a much more organised than PRO ever was.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 05 May 2017, 20:18

USA 7s team for London and Paris. Barrett injured. Naima Fualaau (future star) and Alex Schwarz in.

Men's Eagles Sevens | HSBC Paris Sevens / HSBC London Sevens
1. Alex Schwarz
2. Ben Pinkelman
3. Don Pati
4. Matai Leuta
5. Mike Te'o
6. Andrew Durutalo
7. Folau Niua
8. Maka Unufe
9. Stephen Tomasin
10. Madison Hughes (C)
11. Perry Baker
12. Martin Iosefo
13. Naima Fualaau

Read more at https://www.usarugby.org/2017/05/roster ... 5Pcs3Rs.99

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 06 May 2017, 19:18

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2017/0 ... ugby-2018/

Beginning in 2018, Major League Rugby (MLR) will launch as a new professional rugby competition in North America.

By drawing on the best domestic talent MLR will create an intense, fast paced competition and a top-tier media product. MLR will introduce rugby to the American sports mainstream, provide a focal point for millions of existing fans and bring even more new supporters to the game.

MLR will launch with members in Dallas, Houston, Austin, New Orleans, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Glendale, Seattle and Salt Lake City.

MLR is an initiative driven by existing USA Rugby-member teams, in partnership with private investors

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 09 May 2017, 18:06

Payton Telea needs to get an invite to an Eagles camp at the very least. Watched a bunch of St Mary's matches and he has stood out every time, dominating in the scrum and very good with ball in hand. Last weekend, he got the better of capped Eagle prop Alex Maughan. He's a freshman so that means he's only 18 or 19 and apparently he's only converted from back row this seaon, making his ability in the scrum even more impressive. On the D1A final broadcast, they said that when SMC played Glasgow Academy on their tour of Ireland and Scotland, Glasgow were so impressed they wanted to sign him on the spot. Definitely one for the future.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Tue, 09 May 2017, 20:12

He's a loose head isn't he? If so he and Wenglewski will be a great pair of LHPs for the U20s this season. I'm not sure who will play at 3 though?

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 09 May 2017, 20:26

cardiffrcm wrote:

He's a loose head isn't he? If so he and Wenglewski will be a great pair of LHPs for the U20s this season. I'm not sure who will play at 3 though?

Yes, a loosehead. There are some other good props coming through. Wiley at Cal is another converted back row who looks promising at prop and will get excellent coaching from Mike MacDonald and Billups. On the younger end, David Ainuu is still in high school but looks like maybe the next Lamositele. All should be eligible for the U20s this year.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum