Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: USA Rugby

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 16:43

Right, but those large squad numbers also extend to the professional level, where football teams have much larger squads. Basketball players are also less likely to be physically broken (multiple concussions, shot knees, whatever else) than football players.

A few years back the AFL (the Australian kind) held a combine for potential basketball crossovers in LA. I'm not sure if that turned into an annual thing or not, but it's something USAR and/or MLR should look into either doing themselves or co-hosting with the AFL.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 16:55

I believe Gorgadze and Castrogiovanni both converted from basketball around 16 too.

Postby 4N » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 17:06

Jerome Thion was in one of France's top basketball academies when Racing-Metro recruited him to play rugby.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 20:42

Coloradoan wrote:Right, but those large squad numbers also extend to the professional level, where football teams have much larger squads. Basketball players are also less likely to be physically broken (multiple concussions, shot knees, whatever else) than football players.

A few years back the AFL (the Australian kind) held a combine for potential basketball crossovers in LA. I'm not sure if that turned into an annual thing or not, but it's something USAR and/or MLR should look into either doing themselves or co-hosting with the AFL.

The AFL combine still happens from what I know. There was a big noise about a few guys who were brought over after impressing at the most recent event. All Basketballers.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 21:46

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:Right, but those large squad numbers also extend to the professional level, where football teams have much larger squads. Basketball players are also less likely to be physically broken (multiple concussions, shot knees, whatever else) than football players.

The AFL combine still happens from what I know. There was a big noise about a few guys who were brought over after impressing at the most recent event. All Basketballers.

I think you could probably get even better attendance at the event if it was multi-sport. Maybe you get some guys who are mildly interested in rugby and end up being a better fit for AFL and vice versa. It could be a good thing for everyone involved.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 20 Apr 2017, 23:35

AFL is very much still invested in sourcing US talent, in fact they lifted age limit restrictions last year for foreign players. It use to be you could only sign someone under the age of 22 who was born outside the country.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum