Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: USA Rugby

Postby Suiram » Thu, 03 Aug 2017, 12:56

http://www.florugby.com/article/59799-u ... YMc8TROmEc

Really looking forward to this and I hope we see this an annual thing at least. Hopefully with a couple games.

Final roster is listed there and seems a bit changed. No more colton Cariaga. Will be interesting to see how they determine their final line up

National Flag:

Postby The Captain's Run » Thu, 03 Aug 2017, 15:43

Cariaga is still there, listed as Jeremiah Colton Cariaga now.

The additions to the roster are Kirk Hamilton, Martini Talapusi, Payton Telea, Faafetai Te'o, and Lote Tuipulotu. Gone are Patrick Latu, Shalom Suniula, and Tai Tuisamoa - all capped Eagles. The squad suddenly looks a bit more developmental in nature.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Fri, 04 Aug 2017, 00:21

Ya but also younger. Talea especially. Makes sense if they are hoping to generate awareness overseas

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 04 Aug 2017, 04:15

The reality is that it's a developmental side. Yes there are capped players on it, but the Maori aren't the first XV of NZ either.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 06 Aug 2017, 22:29

There will be Episode 0 of the Earful of Dirt Podcast on at 4PM in 30 minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TctzuSx6WSI

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Mon, 07 Aug 2017, 11:28

Chris Baumann signs for Leicester Tigers

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ti ... op-baumann

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Mon, 07 Aug 2017, 12:55

awesome. That hopefully puts to rest those that thought he was on his way out after the summer tests. Of course he is likely another "6 nations"-cover player which has its own issues.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 08 Aug 2017, 19:10

In case you don't find yourself in the women's rugby forum, here's my preview of USA V. Italy: https://youtu.be/Yv_S9toFP_Q

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 21:40

http://www.florugby.com/article/60143-i ... YzR0FWrqpo

Side named for Islanders. No Langilangi, but quite a few players people will be excited to see compete against a side like the Saracens even if its a bit of a second string. The bench also has some younger guys that could spark interest overseas. Taumoefolau was on the U20 side 2 years ago but I believe isnt in college. He was on the side with the memorable Ben Cima kick. He didnt necessarily impress, but he looked huge. And Telea is an impressive U20 prop who I think is at St Marys.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 22:01

Looks a little more developmental than it originally looked to be when Tai Tuisamoa, Shalom Suniula and Langilangi were going to be in the side, but I'm hoping they still have at least a good showing. Any idea if there is a way to watch the game without paying $13?

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 22:41

Thats what I was wondering. Really would like FloRugby but I just cant justify the cost for the content. $5 would probably entice me.

Tuisamoa and Suniula dropped from the squad list a week or 2 ago when they announced the final. But it seems like Langilangi was still listed but did not make the side.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 22:54

$5 would entice me, too. I'll bet it would entice some Saracens fans. No one is hardcore enough to pay $30 to watch a preseason game. The Rugby Channel is a failing venture with far greater content, marketing reach and is $4.99/month.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 23:50

FloSports isn't just about the Rugby content. Watching it now, been a great match so far. Hard hitting, really surprised it's this close from the Islanders.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 18:43

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Sun, 13 Aug 2017, 16:18

Some thoughts from watching the Club 7s nationals so far:

Depth of players seems far more impressive. A lot of teams in the bowl competition on day 2 have impressive squads and played well against the top teams

There are still a couple teams far and away dominant. Partially because they play good 7s. Far too many teams take too many pointless crash balls. Maybe because against weaker comp they can break more tackles

JP Eloff looks a step above almost everyone with and against him. Definitely back in shape and hope he gets a shot at 12 for the eagles again

Fuuluau on life west is impressive. Not only shifty but always in good position. Plenty of times he would have been the perfect offload despite life west having issues with recognizing those chances

Lorenzo Thomas does not look in great shape. Can still see the pace and power from a couple years ago, but inconsistent. I hope he fully recovers from his ACL tear and gets back to form

Utah is stacked. Jared whippy seems like a potential successor To Niua if he wanted it.

Overall not too many "new names" breaking out but the depth of consistent quality is equally important. A deeper field across the country will let great players develop faster / better with real competition

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Sun, 13 Aug 2017, 19:36

Only watched bits and pieces but I agree about Fuualau. I know it's 7s but it's still outrageous he wasn't in the U20 side. And that depth you talk about isn't just important for 7s but also for MLR. I'd imagine some, if not all the MLR clubs, are using this tournament as a scouting opportunity.

On another note, it sounds like Taufete'e played loosehead for Worcester today. It will definitely be interesting to see if he gets time there during the regular season for them.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 13 Aug 2017, 21:51

Interesting that the Barbarians can't field a D1 side but are probably going to win the Signes Cup.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Sun, 13 Aug 2017, 23:56

TheStroBro wrote:Interesting that the Barbarians can't field a D1 side but are probably going to win the Signes Cup.

Who are they supposed to play in D1?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 14 Aug 2017, 04:36

They used to be D1, Glendale Merlins would be the natural derby. Glendale Merlins D1 are RRRC conference members for 2017/2018. So Barbarians could do the same. Historically Speaking Colorado has had some of the most successful men's D1 clubs. Currently only Glendale has a D1 team.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Mon, 14 Aug 2017, 06:57

Suiram wrote:Some thoughts from watching the Club 7s nationals so far:

Depth of players seems far more impressive. A lot of teams in the bowl competition on day 2 have impressive squads and played well against the top teams

There are still a couple teams far and away dominant. Partially because they play good 7s. Far too many teams take too many pointless crash balls. Maybe because against weaker comp they can break more tackles

JP Eloff looks a step above almost everyone with and against him. Definitely back in shape and hope he gets a shot at 12 for the eagles again

Fuuluau on life west is impressive. Not only shifty but always in good position. Plenty of times he would have been the perfect offload despite life west having issues with recognizing those chances

Lorenzo Thomas does not look in great shape. Can still see the pace and power from a couple years ago, but inconsistent. I hope he fully recovers from his ACL tear and gets back to form

Utah is stacked. Jared whippy seems like a potential successor To Niua if he wanted it.

Overall not too many "new names" breaking out but the depth of consistent quality is equally important. A deeper field across the country will let great players develop faster / better with real competition

Cody Melphy looked like he had more time on the ball than any other player. He'll be an Eagle sooner than later.

Gabe Rufflin was impressive, but looks like he need a to put on a stone to play 15s at the top level.

Plenty of pace on show.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 14 Aug 2017, 16:18

I did a webcast with Tosan of Viral Rugby this weekend, it's long, but it has a lot of important pieces for Governance in the US: http://youtu.be/OLj2siCM3oo

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 14 Aug 2017, 18:02

TheStroBro wrote:They used to be D1, Glendale Merlins would be the natural derby. Glendale Merlins D1 are RRRC conference members for 2017/2018. So Barbarians could do the same. Historically Speaking Colorado has had some of the most successful men's D1 clubs. Currently only Glendale has a D1 team.

That's pretty expensive, though. I don't blame them for not playing D1 given that cost, especially after their 15s roster has been picked over by the Raptors.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 02:15

Question: what happened to the Gentlemen of Aspen? Btw best name for a rugby club ever
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby The Captain's Run » Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 16:05

victorsra wrote:Question: what happened to the Gentlemen of Aspen? Btw best name for a rugby club ever

They're still around, playing in a summertime league with other Colorado ski town clubs.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 17 Aug 2017, 18:16

Eric Fry starting at loosehead for Vannes this weekend. I wonder if he comes back into the Eagle picture under a new coach. I still think he's a top 4 prop in American rugby.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum