Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

Re: USA Rugby

Postby 4N » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 17:54

sk 88 wrote:Isn't Pasqualle Dunn playing second division rugby league at the moment for Doncaster? Hardly a real option!

No. He's in the Auckland Blues system and was in their squad for the Brisbane 10s (didn't watch it, don't know if he played).

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 18:35

Worcester-Bristol match is on NBCSN right now for anyone wanting to watch what our British friends are talking about.

National Flag:

Postby The Captain's Run » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 19:32

4N wrote:
sk 88 wrote:Isn't Pasqualle Dunn playing second division rugby league at the moment for Doncaster? Hardly a real option!

No. He's in the Auckland Blues system and was in their squad for the Brisbane 10s (didn't watch it, don't know if he played).

Yep. He plays his club rugby with College Rifles and with Auckland in the Mitre 10 Cup. He trained with the Blues this winter and featured in a preseason match for them. He seems like he's right in that sweet spot for the Eagles - talented enough to be on the fringe of Super Rugby without a lot to lose if he plays for the Eagles, like Tony Lamborn and James Hilterbrand. He's still pretty young at nearly 23 so he has time to keep trying to crack into Super Rugby (or possibly the All Blacks 7s squad) but if he doesn't get much further in the system in the next few years, I could see him suiting up with the Eagles maybe as soon as the lead-up for the next RWC.
Last edited by The Captain's Run on Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 19:41

I would be amazed if he played Super Rugby regularly, he must have improved a lot or Auckland not be very good. I suppose physically he was always there it was just his technical skills and mindset that held him back. In 4 years both of those can change a hell of a lot.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Paula Bale » Sun, 05 Mar 2017, 20:07

His CV doesn't make for great reading but perhaps he's reaching his potential and is now in a good environment to continue that trend. This tweet from NZ rugby commentator during the pre-season game got my attention...

Some massive hits and great tries today. @BluesRugbyTeam v @Hurricanesrugby well worth the watch. Also, Pasqualle Dunn is a freak.

https://twitter.com/sumostevenson/statu ... 4993617920

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 20:26

Why would a municipality apply for trademarks to MLR. I understand Glendale is Rugbytown USA, but MLR is supposed to be an LLC.

https://inventively.com/search/trademar ... 20Glendale

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 01:17

100 tries for Perry Baker. What a great player. He seems like a really likable guy, too. Disappointing to lose that match against South Africa but this team is playing as well as they ever have.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 01:21

The way we lost those last two pissed me off. But the boys put everything they had out there.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 01:37

TheStroBro wrote:The way we lost those last two pissed me off. But the boys put everything they had out there.

Kinda wonder what would have happened if Barrett had been available. Losing to South Africa with possession of the ball inside their 5m line two weeks in a row is really brutal.

National Flag:

Postby The Captain's Run » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 05:54

Something that I just realized got lost in the shuffle with PRO Rugby's implosion was Ulster fly-half Sam Windsor's move to the U.S. This news was first known in mid-December and this interview with Windsor came out the same day that the Rush folded, and a few days before it became evident that the whole league was going under. There are a few interesting quotes about PRO Rugby, with him saying that there were "a fair few uncertainties as to the structure and the make-up of the competition" and "speaking to coaches and a few other people out there, it might go ahead and it might not, it's a bit of a gamble on the professional side of rugby".

PRO's loss here is Major League Rugby's gain. Windsor is now playing with the Seattle Saracens.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 06:05

The Captain's Run wrote:Something that I just realized got lost in the shuffle with PRO Rugby's implosion was Ulster fly-half Sam Windsor's move to the U.S. This news was first known in mid-December and this interview with Windsor came out the same day that the Rush folded, and a few days before it became evident that the whole league was going under. There are a few interesting quotes about PRO Rugby, with him saying that there were "a fair few uncertainties as to the structure and the make-up of the competition" and "speaking to coaches and a few other people out there, it might go ahead and it might not, it's a bit of a gamble on the professional side of rugby".

PRO's loss here is Major League Rugby's gain. Windsor is now playing with the Seattle Saracens.

He was a standout in the NRC in 2015 before Ulster snapped him up. He's an Aussie by the way.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 02:17

Tony Ridnell's Latest Opinion Piece: https://blog.ridnell.com/2017/03/13/the ... -cup-2027/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 02:44

I wouldn't be opposed to awarding both 2027 and 2031 to Argentina and the US, in all honesty they are the only nations I can actually see wanting to host the tournament come 2027.

National Flag:

Postby eal22 » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 03:04

I doubt the USA can be truly competitive by 2027, 2035 might be more realistic.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 03:54

TheStroBro wrote:Tony Ridnell's Latest Opinion Piece: https://blog.ridnell.com/2017/03/13/the ... -cup-2027/

The assumption that RWCs will be awarded alternately to Tier 1 and Tier 2 countries is based on what, exactly? Japan getting the 2019 RWC? I've seen nothing to suggest that this will be standard going forward. Of course, Argentina is not a Tier 2 country so he contradicts himself by mentioning them as a likely competitor for the 2027 bid. If USA Rugby isn't prepared to put a well constructed bid in in time for the awarding of 2027, they should simply not be bidding on it and wait til 2031. There is certainly nothing written in stone about 2031.

I don't think a USA RWC bid is as simple as many think, either. Timing is a huge issue. Every RWC in the professional era has taken place during NFL/college football season. That both limits the stadiums that are available to the tournament and also substantially reduces potential media coverage and casual fan interest to the point that hosting it during that time period is a non-starter. But if it weren't to take place during that time of year, when could you host it where the major rugby playing nations would agree to?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 04:31

Replace the June internationals for that year with the World Cup between mid June and late July. Avoids the NFL season by a good 6 weeks.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 05:10

thatrugbyguy wrote:Replace the June internationals for that year with the World Cup between mid June and late July. Avoids the NFL season by a good 6 weeks.

June internationals, or at least the ones where the NH visits the SH, already don't happen in RWC years anymore. June/July would mean basically zero buildup for the teams involved, Top 14 would have to end its season earlier and Super Rugby would either have to have an extremely short season or take a break during the RWC and then finish up afterwards. Perhaps that's not insurmountable, but that makes it a substantially more difficult proposition when the unions affected hold substantial voting power. And keep in mind when you're talking about unions affected, it's more than just the SR/France countries. It also includes votes from countries that are heavily reliant on players in those leagues, which means Georgia and the PIs too.

July/August is the only time I could see working, but it still has issues related to the above. Teams would still be largely undercooked (as teams, and NH club players at the tail end of a long, grueling season) going into the tournament and/or major leagues would still need to make big adjustments to their season. Again, not insurmountable, but definitely a substantial challenge and one that makes winning the bid less likely.

Postby 4N » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 05:15

TheStroBro wrote:Tony Ridnell's Latest Opinion Piece: https://blog.ridnell.com/2017/03/13/the ... -cup-2027/

Always enjoy reading those. Tony has a way of weaving the international rugby tapestry into his pieces.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 08:17

Coloradoan wrote:
June internationals, or at least the ones where the NH visits the SH, already don't happen in RWC years anymore. June/July would mean basically zero buildup for the teams involved, Top 14 would have to end its season earlier and Super Rugby would either have to have an extremely short season or take a break during the RWC and then finish up afterwards. Perhaps that's not insurmountable, but that makes it a substantially more difficult proposition when the unions affected hold substantial voting power. And keep in mind when you're talking about unions affected, it's more than just the SR/France countries. It also includes votes from countries that are heavily reliant on players in those leagues, which means Georgia and the PIs too.

July/August is the only time I could see working, but it still has issues related to the above. Teams would still be largely undercooked (as teams, and NH club players at the tail end of a long, grueling season) going into the tournament and/or major leagues would still need to make big adjustments to their season. Again, not insurmountable, but definitely a substantial challenge and one that makes winning the bid less likely.

I'm pretty sure they can work out a schedule by pushing a few dates back or forward by a few weeks. The reality is June-July is the only feasible time to have a world cup in Nth America, and if WR sees a potentially big payday they'll be willing to move things around to accommodate it. It would essentially be an expanded June international calendar of matches. There are challenges but it's not like it's FIFA world cup in Qatar obstacles where entire leagues are going to have to be shut down for 6 weeks because of the move in schedule.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 15:05

MLR News and Commentary is live:
https://youtu.be/8LnFgvubSiU

Something I found out after publication was Houston's stadium capacity will be 11,000. It's looking like most of the stadiums under construction will be much larger than Infinity Park.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 18:28

thatrugbyguy wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:

I'm pretty sure they can work out a schedule by pushing a few dates back or forward by a few weeks. The reality is June-July is the only feasible time to have a world cup in Nth America, and if WR sees a potentially big payday they'll be willing to move things around to accommodate it. It would essentially be an expanded June international calendar of matches. There are challenges but it's not like it's FIFA world cup in Qatar obstacles where entire leagues are going to have to be shut down for 6 weeks because of the move in schedule.

Right. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's a big hurdle and one that will make a US bid that much harder to win.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ogrelord » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 00:03

thatrugbyguy wrote:June internationals, or at least the ones where the NH visits the SH, already don't happen in RWC years anymore. I'm pretty sure they can work out a schedule by pushing a few dates back or forward by a few weeks. The reality is June-July is the only feasible time to have a world cup in Nth America, and if WR sees a potentially big payday they'll be willing to move things around to accommodate it.

I'm not following this. Why is North America limited to June-July exactly? And why is anyone worried about accommodating leagues? It's not as if every World Cup to date hasn't interfered with domestic leagues. They all plan for it. As an aside, the June internationals are getting switched to July soon, no later than 2020.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 00:20

ogrelord wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:June internationals, or at least the ones where the NH visits the SH, already don't happen in RWC years anymore. I'm pretty sure they can work out a schedule by pushing a few dates back or forward by a few weeks. The reality is June-July is the only feasible time to have a world cup in Nth America, and if WR sees a potentially big payday they'll be willing to move things around to accommodate it.

I'm not following this. Why is North America limited to June-July exactly? And why is anyone worried about accommodating leagues? It's not as if every World Cup to date hasn't interfered with domestic leagues. They all plan for it. As an aside, the June internationals are getting switched to July soon, no later than 2020.

I'm not so certain you be trolling. But it's not about accommodation, it's about cash flow. The NFL will still have its games, College Football will have its games. This is the Rugby World Cup and you want to dominate the stage, there's nothing going on for Baseball in July-Aug. But the fan you're wanting to get in America is slammed with Football in the fall. I'm sure you could negotiate just fine to share the stage, but you don't want to share the stage. And having it here, you'll dominate the airwaves in Summer and when the 6 Nations are on the matches will be live forever.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby ogrelord » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 00:31

TheStroBro wrote:[I'm not so certain you be trolling. But it's not about accommodation, it's about cash flow. The NFL will still have its games, College Football will have its games.

Legitimately not trolling. I hadn't even really considered the NFL or College Football being an issue. Maybe that's a good point. Is the average American football fan really the target? I honestly do not know if there is a correlation between rugby fans and NFL fans. Aside from the contact the games are a very different experience. NFL games are long and drawn out commercial enterprises with constant stoppages. A rugby game is fluid and over in 90 minutes. Also the USA is filled with expats and more importantly a popular destination for travelers from abroad. I agree with Ridnell, there would be a massive influx of tourists, likely the most the game has ever seen. Perhaps the TV conflicts would be the biggest hurdle but who knows what the media landscape will look like in 10 years.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 00:38

ogrelord wrote:Is the average American football fan really the target? I honestly do not know if there is a correlation between rugby fans and NFL fans.

For what it's worth, I'm both a CFL and rugby fan, and I know others in the same boat.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum