Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

Re: USA Rugby

Postby 4N » Wed, 19 Jul 2017, 13:49

RWU and Doug Schoninger again. This one is a little more 'spirited' (Doug calls the host Judge Judy)...

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 19 Jul 2017, 14:53

So he's not going away, what a douche. Figured as much. But the lawyer in my house stated: He has no defense so he just deflects.

National Flag:

Postby sanitycheck » Wed, 19 Jul 2017, 15:14

intersting, much more firey than the first interview. He certainly believes his position but he doesnt really articuate himself well getting so emotional...
Formerly known as "Aus_in_Germany"

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 19 Jul 2017, 19:03

If he were going to sue wouldn't he have done it by now? Does starting to sue someone really take that much time?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 19 Jul 2017, 21:40

iul wrote:If he were going to sue wouldn't he have done it by now? Does starting to sue someone really take that much time?

Well I thought he had filed, and withdrew, I guess he'll re-file.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Wed, 19 Jul 2017, 23:08

I would assume he will wait for MLR or Pro12 or something else to do more than vaguely discuss the US. An entity formed in the US or a declaration of support / sanctioning from USAR. He cant sue over news articles.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 03:37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_BRC-qzdzY

Anyone know what happened to Bender? Trying to play 15s or was he just not making the travelling squad for 7s last season? I thought he wasnt at Chula Vista...

Postby 4N » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 15:19

Excellent editorial by Ted Hardy of Americas Rugby News.

I write this with a heavy heart. It’s been a long time since I contributed an opinion piece for Americas Rugby News. I certainly wished that I had taken Paul up on writing a piece about the storied career of Todd Clever as he retired from International duty. Instead I have chose to attempt to address the volcano that is nearing eruption with USA Rugby dead in it’s path.

Let’s be very honest. Anyone who has poured their heart into the sport of rugby in America knows that something is wrong. Perhaps, people that just show up on Saturday to play and drink beers think that all is wonderful. Sometimes I wish that I was one of those people. Because the cold, hard truth is that not only is something wrong with USA Rugby, but it has been going on for a long time. The keyboard warriors have been typing away on various platforms voicing their displeasure, for one reason or another, for years. They were always met by a USA Rugby apologist saying things weren’t really that bad or that their concerns were valid. I know that there were times, while I was still writing frequently, that I often hopped back and forth over that fence of being critical of our union and giving them a pat on the back. It wasn’t all bad? Was it?

We, as a rugby community, have had our heads in the sand and the really sad part about it all is that it has taken some very serious missteps for people to start to take notice. Our union is massively in debt, about to face litigation over the PRO mess, and facing unprecedented unrest from their constituents. The fallout over PRO Rugby is embarrassing as the contract that was pushed through our leaders is questionable to even the untrained eye. I have seen it and I was shocked by the number of red flags in it. Even then, the rugby community is so forgiving and filled with hope that when the Strategy 2020 documents came out we were ready to “turn the corner” and move onto brighter horizons. Back when I first started writing about rugby over ten years ago, I feel like I used that same phrase a lot. I mean A LOT. USA Rugby seemed to always be “turning a corner”. Funny part is that if you turn enough corners, eventually you end up back where you began. Which is exactly where we are after the last ten or so years.

Before I go further, I want to state that I do believe in our CEO Dan Payne. He has been thrown into a mess that has been 10 years in the making and left with little power to correct it. He is passionate and has shown the desire to make changes in USA Rugby. The problem is that the entity may be broken to the point that no amount of passion can get past some of the obstacles that are in his way.

There is no questioning the fact that USA Rugby is at a crossroads. We are facing a seminal moment in our history. The question is will the members of USA Rugby take back the union or will we put our heads back into the sand? There are people out there leading this charge that deserve mention. Former Eagle Tony Ridnell has been extremely vocal in his concerns about many aspects of how USA Rugby is being run. It has rattled some cages and that is a good thing. To take it another step he has also raised his hand and stepped up to the plate to help make change. I support his efforts 100% and it is time that we had more people involved at USA Rugby that understand that the members aren’t there just to generate revenue for the union. We are stakeholders in USA Rugby, so every misstep and mistake made by our leaders needs to be held accountable. Tony is on a mission to fix the issues with USA Rugby. A rudder for a ship that lacks direction. Whether they give him the chance is the question. Their choice may decide whether we avoid going down a much darker path.

Speaking of…

Recently, Michael Fealey filed a formal grievance against USA Rugby. The grievance is reportedly being revised, but its claims against USA Rugby are staggering and cover a span of multiple years. The grievance includes claims of gross negligence, self dealing, misconduct, and a myriad of other issues. All questions that others have brought up over the years only to be called conspiracy theories by apologists. If proven, the grievance could destroy USA Rugby as we know it.

There are days that I wonder if that isn’t the best solution. Burn it down to the ground. Start over with a clean slate. Return the union to it’s members where it belongs. Then perhaps, we’ll change the name of our national teams to the Phoenix as a new USA Rugby rises from the ashes. Then, of course, there is the part of me that wants to see the changes made to USA Rugby before we reach this point. Either way, the time for change is now. Not in another 5-10 years when we can hand these problems off to another generation. Let’s bite the bullet and fix it now for the sake of future generations.

Now it’s your turn members of USA Rugby. Educate yourselves on the topics at hand. Draw your line in the sand. Or not.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2017/0 ... rossroads/

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 15:55

Yup, pretty good summary of the issues as the moment. What I'm unclear on is what USAR going under completely would look like and what the implications would be of forming a new union? I could see that getting messy.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 20 Jul 2017, 16:50

I don't always like Clifton's takes, but this is a good one:
http://www.rugbytoday.com/columns/cliff ... ase-change

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 14:58

Lady Eagles Squad Preview
https://youtu.be/u_Pa5fVM-o4

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 17:37

Anyone concerned about Wooching wanting to play for the US, he just tweeted:

Goal: Nov. 18, Nov. 25

This is in reference to USA Rugby releasing a press release that those will be the test match dates in November (no mention of working towards anything on the 11th). One of the big advantages of qualifying already for the RWC is that it allows the Eagles to make selections with an eye towards 2019. I think we should cap him against Germany as we build towards 2019. That will also probably help him get a work visa in England or France so he can sign with a European club and further his development.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 17:56

Coloradoan wrote:Anyone concerned about Wooching wanting to play for the US, he just tweeted:

Goal: Nov. 18, Nov. 25

This is in reference to USA Rugby releasing a press release that those will be the test match dates in November (no mention of working towards anything on the 11th). One of the big advantages of qualifying already for the RWC is that it allows the Eagles to make selections with an eye towards 2019. I think we should cap him against Germany as we build towards 2019. That will also probably help him get a work visa in England or France so he can sign with a European club and further his development.

Any news regarding a third test?

With regard to Wooching, if he has a Samoan passport, he doesn't need caps to get a work visa; he will qualify as a Kolpak

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 18:08

And no domestic test. That sucks.

Psalm has lived in the US his whole life, I highly doubt he has a Samoan Passport.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 18:22

TheStroBro wrote:And no domestic test. That sucks.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a November domestic test every year. Any that we get are gravy. What we should expect are at least 3 home tests in June and 3 away/neutral tests in November.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 18:34

We need dat money though.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 18:38

Psalm has lived in the US his whole life, I highly doubt he has a Samoan Passport.

One of his parents is Samoan he would qualify for a passport. Manoa, Taufetee, Palamo, Duratalo, Tameilau have all obtained their Euro work permits (via Kolpak) this way. That's how the US boys of Island origin find it easier to get a European contract

Postby 4N » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 18:38

It's looked like Wooching's commitment was to the US all along apart from a random interview that could have been a misquote or whatever... but good to see him aiming for a test jersey. Could get some UW fans interested in watching the Eagles too. :thumbup:

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 18:43

Coloradoan wrote:

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a November domestic test every year. Any that we get are gravy. What we should expect are at least 3 home tests in June and 3 away/neutral tests in November.

How about a home or away Test against Japan on the 11th?

Grant also tweeted a tease about a Houston test on the 2nd Dec. I might of got the wrong end of the stick though

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 18:44

TheStroBro wrote:We need dat money though.

This!. The International game needs to start generating revenue for the US. Although they will also need to market it a little better

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 18:47

TheStroBro wrote:We need dat money though.

No doubt, but my understanding is that money goes straight to RIM rather than USAR these days. USAR really seems to be screwed financially and it's hard to see a path out of it.

In other news, All Americans selected. Think it might be a political process and/or a joke of a list? Of the 5 college Eagles capped this year, 2 are first team (Jensen and Campbell), 1 is second team (Malcolm), 1 is honorable mention (Whiting) and 1 is missing entirely (Mikesell). http://d1arugby.com/news/college-all-am ... -athletes/

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 18:54

cardiffrcm wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:

How about a home or away Test against Japan on the 11th?

Grant also tweeted a tease about a Houston test on the 2nd Dec. I might of got the wrong end of the stick though

He and I were talking about it, USAR couldn't guarantee money for it supposedly...

Postby 4N » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 19:00

Coloradoan wrote:In other news, All Americans selected. Think it might be a political process and/or a joke of a list? Of the 5 college Eagles capped this year, 2 are first team (Jensen and Campbell), 1 is second team (Malcolm), 1 is honorable mention (Whiting) and 1 is missing entirely (Mikesell). http://d1arugby.com/news/college-all-am ... -athletes/

Some pundits don't seem particularly high on Mikesell, not sure why. Maybe the reasons are valid I just haven't heard them. Positioning etc? You wonder if the most polished players are rewarded instead of the 'best' sometimes.

I didn't watch BYU but what about Kaka and the Whippys? Pretty good talents and only honorable mention.

National Flag:

Postby SDyeti » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 19:51

I would have to think that Wooching would need to participate with the USA Selects in the APC stuff in October to have any chance of making the November test Squad.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 20:30

4N wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:In other news, All Americans selected. Think it might be a political process and/or a joke of a list? Of the 5 college Eagles capped this year, 2 are first team (Jensen and Campbell), 1 is second team (Malcolm), 1 is honorable mention (Whiting) and 1 is missing entirely (Mikesell). http://d1arugby.com/news/college-all-am ... -athletes/

Some pundits don't seem particularly high on Mikesell, not sure why. Maybe the reasons are valid I just haven't heard them. Positioning etc? You wonder if the most polished players are rewarded instead of the 'best' sometimes.

I didn't watch BYU but what about Kaka and the Whippys? Pretty good talents and only honorable mention.

Yup. Only 1 BYU player first or second team? Laughable and likely political.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum