Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

Re: USA Rugby

Postby 4N » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 21:18

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 03 Jun 2018, 18:14

Vili Toluta'u has been called to Eagles Camp.

ETA: Vili replaces Tony Lamborn whom is now unavailable. Greg Peterson has replaced David Tameilau over fitness concerns.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 16:44

Do you have fitness concerns actually spoken or assumed?

He definitely does not look match fit for Utah compared with the highlight reel from his time in Narbonne. I dont really understand him. Didnt he get dropped from his original Premiership contract because of fitness?

His Narbonne highlights cant be from more than 6 months ago, so how quickly does he fall out of shape? Just really disappointing as a fan and outsider.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 18:29

Suiram wrote:Do you have fitness concerns actually spoken or assumed?

He definitely does not look match fit for Utah compared with the highlight reel from his time in Narbonne. I dont really understand him. Didnt he get dropped from his original Premiership contract because of fitness?

His Narbonne highlights cant be from more than 6 months ago, so how quickly does he fall out of shape? Just really disappointing as a fan and outsider.

Having watched him play in the MLR, for me he'll have a lazy half. So far I've only liked his play last week in the second half. Other than that he definitely doesn't look the part. Isn't playing the part that you'd expect him to play. However, that was taken from this ARN article that has now changed to "Personal Reasons" http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... -tameilau/

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 18:58

TheStroBro wrote:
Suiram wrote:Do you have fitness concerns actually spoken or assumed?

Having watched him play in the MLR, for me he'll have a lazy half. So far I've only liked his play last week in the second half. Other than that he definitely doesn't look the part. Isn't playing the part that you'd expect him to play. However, that was taken from this ARN article that has now changed to "Personal Reasons" http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... -tameilau/

I suppose that not being able to keep your face out the cake tin is technically a personal reason. As a general rule if anyone looks less fit than when they were playing in France then they're very unfit indeed.

Postby 4N » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 19:08

Tameilau is a player who performs fine with extra weight on him. A bit like Billy Vunipola. Just IMO.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 20:38

4N wrote:Tameilau is a player who performs fine with extra weight on him. A bit like Billy Vunipola. Just IMO.

Eh...Billy is a prop. And I don't know what fine looks for you? I have only been impressed by him for one half this season. I had higher expectations.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 20:50

TheStroBro wrote:
4N wrote:Tameilau is a player who performs fine with extra weight on him. A bit like Billy Vunipola. Just IMO.

Eh...Billy is a prop. And I don't know what fine looks for you? I have only been impressed by him for one half this season. I had higher expectations.

Mako is the prop and Billy is the 8-Man.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 21:07

Buffalo wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Yeah, I know I was talking Mako in the back of my mind. Back to 4N, Billy is a much better player than Tameilau is.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 21:25

Tameilau also has mostly been at his best for the Eagles as an impact sub off the bench. I actually disagree with the analysis that Tameilau hasn't been good for Utah, but even so, you could put that down to the role being asked.

Postby 4N » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 21:50

TheStroBro wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Yeah, I know I was talking Mako in the back of my mind. Back to 4N, Billy is a much better player than Tameilau is.

Of course. But Tameilau isn't bad and is a versatile player, good bench option as mentioned.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 22:20

Sweet...USAR is getting sued by Doug: https://youtu.be/Vr6EPja5_Ao

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 06:57

Interesting read about the Schoninger vs. USAR lawsuit.
https://rugbywrapup.com/2018/06/more-st ... e-lawsuit/
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 16:06

Interesting as in entertaining. His lawsuit is a joke.

National Flag:

Postby USA Rugby Fan » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 22:52

USA vs Russia 2018 Summer series starting line up-USA
https://www.usarugby.org/2018/06/mens-eagles-starting-lineup-announced-for-first-summer-test-with-russia/

Will Hooley at 15-Interesting.
Eric Fry and Paul Mullen get the starts at prop
Lasike and Campbell in the center-should make for some powerful running.

I had this crazy hope that Chris Wyles would show up and take a three game Eagle encore.
Twitter: @USA_Rugby_Fan

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 23:53

USA Rugby Fan wrote:USA vs Russia 2018 Summer series starting line up-USA
https://www.usarugby.org/2018/06/mens-eagles-starting-lineup-announced-for-first-summer-test-with-russia/

I had this crazy hope that Chris Wyles would show up and take a three game Eagle encore.

Offseason > MLR season > RWC would be the dream

Anyway, not sure I love the center combo as much as others. It will do fine against Russia, probably even quite well. But it's likely to be too limited in distribution against better sides. I'd rather see the Eagles play a more balanced pair in the centers and continue to develop the wide game they did under Mitchell. What's the point of playing that midfield against Russia if it's not likely to be an effective combo (again, IMO) against the teams we need to start competing with?

National Flag:

Postby Deadtigers » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 00:31

David T. Needs to get his head right. He has a lot of potential. He may physically though be an Armitage type build guy and we need to accept it.

Also this reminds me what happened to Langilangi?

[Been gone a long time, should left you without a dope post to think to! Anyway Whatup to old friends and hello to soon to be new friends]

National Flag:

Postby Deadtigers » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 00:39

I originally came here to say that if USA remain 5th after Paris, this will be Friday's greatest coaching job ever. And if everyone, Letua, Baker, Unufe are healthy for RWC7s, I will put 20 on the USA to medal. Not sure where to place that bet.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 03:28

Deadtigers wrote:I originally came here to say that if USA remain 5th after Paris, this will be Friday's greatest coaching job ever. And if everyone, Letua, Baker, Unufe are healthy for RWC7s, I will put 20 on the USA to medal. Not sure where to place that bet.

Carlin Isles did a good job at wing in the absence of Perry. That was brilliant.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 03:33

I love the selections, Campbell has improved a ton as a distributor.

Hooley at 15 really isn't all that interesting, we've played Cima and Eloff a ton at FB in the past.

Eric Fry and Olie Kilifi getting the nod over Titi was interesting. Vili Toluta'u making roster cut down to 26 was interesting. Was in the press conference today with Gary Gold and Blaine. Love this group, Saturday is gonna be fun.

Deadtigers wrote:I originally came here to say that if USA remain 5th after Paris, this will be Friday's greatest coaching job ever. And if everyone, Letua, Baker, Unufe are healthy for RWC7s, I will put 20 on the USA to medal. Not sure where to place that bet.
Meh, we've played extremely inconsistent and he has not developed enough depth to my liking.

Haupeakui will never see an Eagles shirt again IMO. There's just so many back rows in the system ahead of him, so unless he finds himself in an MLR shirt next season and plays out of his mind. The cases is closed. But he was playing for SFGG in the PRP this year.

National Flag:

Postby USA Rugby Fan » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 17:36

Coloradoan wrote:

Offseason > MLR season > RWC would be the dream

Anyway, not sure I love the center combo as much as others. It will do fine against Russia, probably even quite well. But it's likely to be too limited in distribution against better sides. I'd rather see the Eagles play a more balanced pair in the centers and continue to develop the wide game they did under Mitchell. What's the point of playing that midfield against Russia if it's not likely to be an effective combo (again, IMO) against the teams we need to start competing with?

Has Hooley any experience at fullback at club level? If so then this may be a good move vs Russia, give him some playing time at FB so in the future he could cover 10, 12 & 15. I'd be a bit more concerned with this move against Scotland if has no experience at the club level.

I totally agree with you about the center combo, I'd rather have a more diverse combo at center. I've posted this before, and I'll say it again- I want to see Mike Te'o (or even Hooley) get a shot at 12 and put Campbell/Lasike at 13. But it's not to be for this game. I do think that the combo of Campbell and Lasike could be a powerful running combo vs Russia, but I don't expect to see any finesse or kicking or side steps from either of these two guys. It reminds me of the combo of Emerick and Suniula - power running and crash ball running is what we will get (and that's fine).

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 22:40

We received the full complaint from Boulder County today: https://www.earfulofdirt.com/2018/06/no ... et-al.html

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 09 Jun 2018, 03:36

Any idea of what the crowd will be like for the Russia game?

National Flag:

Postby USA Rugby Fan » Sat, 09 Jun 2018, 14:38

thatrugbyguy wrote:Any idea of what the crowd will be like for the Russia game?

Partisan

National Flag:
FijiFiji

Postby Warpath » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 00:36

US leading russia 21-10, 23 mins gone, if US wins this, Trump will be so excited :P

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum