FijiFiji

Re: USA Rugby

Postby Warpath » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 01:55

final score US 60-13 Russia, Putin won't be happy :P

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 01:59

Expected, some important Russian players in Paris right now.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 17:25

My takeaways from last night's game:

-Our scrum will have to be 100x better to have a shot at Scotland. Getting beat up front by Russia is just not good enough.

-Even though it was only against Russia, I can see how the center pair of Lasike and Campbell can work, but it's reliant on having a playmaker at 15. Hooley inserting himself into the backline helped the backline function.

-Restarts also need work. Not good enough against Russia.

-This team is so much more fun to watch than the Tolkin years.

-Game day experience sucked. Dicks is a bad, out of the way stadium with poor public transportation links. Vendors at the stadium either didn't speak English or took forever. I ordered some fish and chips at halftime and didn't get my food until the 63rd minute. There also was no game clock anywhere in the stadium. The only way you could tell how much time was left/had elapsed was when they'd show a replay from the TV feed that had the clock on it. Some of that stuff is on the venue and some on USA Rugby, but USA Rugby didn't do a whole lot to help the situation (surprise!).

I also heard that the England-NZ league test in Denver in a couple weeks is selling pretty well. 25k tickets sold so far.

Postby 4N » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 17:32

Coloradoan wrote:I also heard that the England-NZ league test in Denver in a couple weeks is selling pretty well. 25k tickets sold so far.

Impressive if true. Last I heard it was around half that. From what I understand they were working with the Denver Broncos to target their fans. Affordable tix too.

US scrum... what can you say. Damn frustrating they can't figure this part of the game out.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 17:34

Coloradoan wrote:I also heard that the England-NZ league test in Denver in a couple weeks is selling pretty well. 25k tickets sold so far.

On TotalRL they have it at 12k, from the seat map.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 20:35

Article

https://www.earfulofdirt.com/2018/06/us ... 60-13.html

Now...do you want punditry. Fry did ok. When Baumann came on he did well in relief. Mullen did very well in this opportunity. Hanco having another skill in a pinch was helpful.

Didn't dominated as the scoreline suggested. Gary felt we played an incomplete match and didn't meet many of the KPIs he had.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 00:20

Coloradoan wrote:My takeaways from last night's game:

-Our scrum will have to be 100x better to have a shot at Scotland. Getting beat up front by Russia is just not good enough.

-Even though it was only against Russia, I can see how the center pair of Lasike and Campbell can work, but it's reliant on having a playmaker at 15. Hooley inserting himself into the backline helped the backline function.

-Game day experience sucked. Dicks is a bad, out of the way stadium with poor public transportation links. Vendors at the stadium either didn't speak English or took forever. I ordered some fish and chips at halftime and didn't get my food until the 63rd minute. There also was no game clock anywhere in the stadium. The only way you could tell how much time was left/had elapsed was when they'd show a replay from the TV feed that had the clock on it. Some of that stuff is on the venue and some on USA Rugby, but USA Rugby didn't do a whole lot to help the situation (surprise!).

I also heard that the England-NZ league test in Denver in a couple weeks is selling pretty well. 25k tickets sold so far.

25,000 isn't bad but will look awful in a stadium that size. If they did it in Dick's the game would feel like much more of a success.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 00:52

Tobar wrote:

25,000 isn't bad but will look awful in a stadium that size. If they did it in Dick's the game would feel like much more of a success.

I don't think they'd get that many to Dicks. Combination of playing at Mile High plus engagement of Broncos season ticket holders is likely to contribute to the crowd. The Rapids have one of the lowest average attendances in MLS and it's not because of a lack of enthusiasm for soccer here. There have been some rumors recently about Elitch Gardens moving out of the city proper and the Rapids building a soccer stadium in its place because no one likes going out to Dicks.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 00:57

Tobar wrote:

There's a strong chance a lot of those tickets are also comped.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 02:42

Blurandski wrote:

I'm hearing more along these lines. Most people think RLIF made a terrible blunder in sanctioning this match according to one of my friends...who happens to be the nicest Rugby League chaps I've ever met.

What has the promotion been like? Is this even on TV?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 04:25

TheStroBro wrote:
Blurandski wrote:

I'm hearing more along these lines. Most people think RLIF made a terrible blunder in sanctioning this match according to one of my friends...who happens to be the nicest Rugby League chaps I've ever met.

What has the promotion been like? Is this even on TV?

It's part of there testing of the waters for the proposed holding of their WC in the US in 2025. Pretty sure it's been run by the same bloke that's behind that which means he's heavily invested in making the numbers look as good as possible on paper. The proof will be in the actual turnout. Another interesting question will be how many of the English and NZ players are actually released for this game. The head of the NRL and coincidentally the international body for RL has said that the NRL are not obliged to release their internationals for this game. Could be second stringers all round for NZ and potential 4 or 5 of England's best not present either.

And before anyone asks. No the NRL doesn't care about the international game so the CEO being part of the international body is nothing more than an empty gesture. and the RLIF cannot and will not do a thing as the NRL controls the game both domestically and internationally.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 06:20

I'm not even certain Migh High Stadium has a big enough field for either rugby code. My calculations based on photos and google maps is that it's 64-65m wide at best. If ever the World cup is held in the US I'm doubtful it would be one of the venues unless WR were to give the stadium an exemption. For rugby league you need at least 112m minimum in length also and Mile High sure as hell doesn't looks like it has that much room either. What ever pitch they put in there is going to be significantly smaller than normal.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 06:49

Scrub that, looking at arial photos I'm doubtful the pitch width at Mile High could extend much past 62m. Entire field area looks to be at best 106m x 62m. 6m shot of regulations for width in rugby, and 6m short of regulation for rugby league in both length and width. Sorry Denver folk, if ever the world cup comes around games will have to be played at the MLS stadium.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 13:50

Coloradoan wrote:
Tobar wrote:

I don't think they'd get that many to Dicks. Combination of playing at Mile High plus engagement of Broncos season ticket holders is likely to contribute to the crowd. The Rapids have one of the lowest average attendances in MLS and it's not because of a lack of enthusiasm for soccer here. There have been some rumors recently about Elitch Gardens moving out of the city proper and the Rapids building a soccer stadium in its place because no one likes going out to Dicks.

Yeah that's true, the Broncos have shared this with their ticket holders and have been comparing it to the NFL without pads. Dick's seems like one of those stadium that are unnecessarily far from their core fanbase that prevents them from getting fans there, sort of like Toyota Park in "Chicago." Elitch Gardens would be a nice location for the stadium but a few quick searches makes it seem that they are just going to build parks or low income housing or some other bs (obvious sarcasm).

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 14:34

thatrugbyguy wrote:Scrub that, looking at arial photos I'm doubtful the pitch width at Mile High could extend much past 62m. Entire field area looks to be at best 106m x 62m. 6m shot of regulations for width in rugby, and 6m short of regulation for rugby league in both length and width. Sorry Denver folk, if ever the world cup comes around games will have to be played at the MLS stadium.

This is why you shouldn't make assumptions about modern stadia. Mile High was built with hosting high level soccer matches in mind. A number of rows of seats can be removed to achieve this. This is also the case with pretty much every modern NFL stadium and many modern college stadiums. So they can get to at least 68m, maybe more.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 14:49

Tobar wrote:Yeah that's true, the Broncos have shared this with their ticket holders and have been comparing it to the NFL without pads. Dick's seems like one of those stadium that are unnecessarily far from their core fanbase that prevents them from getting fans there, sort of like Toyota Park in "Chicago." Elitch Gardens would be a nice location for the stadium but a few quick searches makes it seem that they are just going to build parks or low income housing or some other bs (obvious sarcasm).

They're building a whole new neighborhood in that area that they are calling the River Mile. It's kinda crazy because it's going to go from no development to high rise apartments and condos (40+ story buildings, which is pretty big in Denver!). A soccer stadium is not at the forefront of the plans, but is a possibility.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 17:08

If the RWC came to the US I don't think that there would be many rugby games played in Denver, despite the fact that Denver has a lot going for it rugbywise. High participation numbers, HQ of USAR and Glendale Raptors all based here. But Denver is a bit of an island in terms of rugby -- there aren't a ton of stadiums and Denver is a bit far from the next biggest city. For example, putting the games in NorCal or SoCal make sense for hosting and distance. Same with Texas to a degree - you can host games in Houston, Austin, Dallas, etc.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 19:37

Tobar wrote:Yeah that's true, the Broncos have shared this with their ticket holders and have been comparing it to the NFL without pads. Dick's seems like one of those stadium that are unnecessarily far from their core fanbase that prevents them from getting fans there, sort of like Toyota Park in "Chicago." Elitch Gardens would be a nice location for the stadium but a few quick searches makes it seem that they are just going to build parks or low income housing or some other bs (obvious sarcasm).

Well Chicago is a major metro area with suburbs. My Man in Elgin hates going to Bears games because the core is hard to get to, whereas getting to Toyota park is super easy.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 20:27

Tobar wrote:If the RWC came to the US I don't think that there would be many rugby games played in Denver, despite the fact that Denver has a lot going for it rugbywise. High participation numbers, HQ of USAR and Glendale Raptors all based here. But Denver is a bit of an island in terms of rugby -- there aren't a ton of stadiums and Denver is a bit far from the next biggest city. For example, putting the games in NorCal or SoCal make sense for hosting and distance. Same with Texas to a degree - you can host games in Houston, Austin, Dallas, etc.

This was more about being built with the soccer World Cup in mind but the number of stadiums doesn't really matter for a World Cup (soccer or rugby). You only need one viable stadium per metro area. Being something of an island also isn't a negative. You would pretty much never host games in 3 different cities in Texas, either. The whole point of a World Cup is to engage different markets. Take a look at how the 1994 FIFA WC was laid out. Not a single host city was within a 4 hour drive from another host city. And travel isn't a big deal either, although Denver isn't a particularly long flight from anywhere. Again, looking to soccer, take a look at the 2026 FIFA WC bid here, which is a joint USA/Canada/Mexico bid. One of the pools includes games in LA, Dallas and Mexico 2 (either Guadalajara or Monterrey). Another includes Mexico City, Mexico 2 and LA.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 03:07

What are the cities in the US where rugby stands out in popularity, apart from Denver? Is it mostly in the west? Is it just Denver?

I suppose SLC, San Francisco and Seattle would be some of them.

National Flag:

Postby The Captain's Run » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 03:38

TheStroBro wrote:

Well Chicago is a major metro area with suburbs. My Man in Elgin hates going to Bears games because the core is hard to get to, whereas getting to Toyota park is super easy.

Going to Toyota Park from another suburb is easy, going from the city can be pretty frustrating (as it was for me the one time I made it out to Toyota Park). The biggest issue is that they chose a suburb that isn't accessible by public transportation. There are better spots, even without going into the city proper, that folk from the city and suburbs would have both found reasonable.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 03:58

qwerty wrote:What are the cities in the US where rugby stands out in popularity, apart from Denver? Is it mostly in the west? Is it just Denver?

I suppose SLC, San Francisco and Seattle would be some of them.

Houston, Chicago, NYC, Washington DC, San Diego, LA, SF, Sacramento, Phoenix...

Postby 4N » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 18:03

Blurandski wrote:

Reading that sales stalled around that number and they are "hoping" discounts and local media coverage (good luck with that) the week of the game bumps them up to 20k. Naturally the fans who bought early and paid full price don't seem entirely happy.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum