Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: USA Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 17 Aug 2017, 23:32

Women will be live on NBCSN+NBC Sports App on Tuesday 12PM ET/ 9AM PT Semi-Final match against the Black Ferns.

Postby 4N » Sun, 20 Aug 2017, 17:46

Former Colorado State football player Alex Tucci is playing with Gorey RFC in Ireland:
https://mobile.twitter.com/gavinmcleavy ... 3494026240

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 21 Aug 2017, 20:40

Black Ferns V USA Preview: https://youtu.be/19LmrazaP1E

Also, Dino Waldren was signed by London Scottish.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 25 Aug 2017, 21:50

FRA V. USA Preview: https://youtu.be/_NuIGtik5FY

Postby 4N » Fri, 25 Aug 2017, 22:00

TheStroBro wrote:FRA V. USA Preview: https://youtu.be/_NuIGtik5FY

The person trolling your comments needs to get a life.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 26 Aug 2017, 03:30

Yes he does. Said some disrespectful shit about our women on the last preview I did.

National Flag:

Postby eal22 » Sun, 27 Aug 2017, 00:00

I am wondering if anyone knows why ESPN wasn't broadcasting any matches from the opening Top 14 weekend? Have the broadcasting rights in the USA changed?

Postby 4N » Sun, 27 Aug 2017, 13:43

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 27 Aug 2017, 19:51

eal22 wrote:I am wondering if anyone knows why ESPN wasn't broadcasting any matches from the opening Top 14 weekend? Have the broadcasting rights in the USA changed?

Well it's pre-season. I understand that ESPN is in the process of launching a subscription based OTT platform. Not sure what that holds for the future.

National Flag:

Postby eal22 » Sun, 27 Aug 2017, 20:31

TheStroBro wrote:
eal22 wrote:I am wondering if anyone knows why ESPN wasn't broadcasting any matches from the opening Top 14 weekend? Have the broadcasting rights in the USA changed?

Well it's pre-season. I understand that ESPN is in the process of launching a subscription based OTT platform. Not sure what that holds for the future.

Not pre-season for the Top 14 - the season is already underway. ESPN make some perplexing decisions sometimes. Last year they suddenly decided to only broadcast a few games of each round of the European Rugby Champions Cup, despite having always broadcast every match.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Mon, 28 Aug 2017, 20:35

It's gone a little under the radar but Nafi Ma'afu has sign for Perpignan of the PRO D2.

Nafi is a 6'7" 19 year old No.8 or lock, from Phoenix, who has played for the US AA's at U20 & U18 level.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 28 Aug 2017, 20:51

eal22 wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Not pre-season for the Top 14 - the season is already underway. ESPN make some perplexing decisions sometimes. Last year they suddenly decided to only broadcast a few games of each round of the European Rugby Champions Cup, despite having always broadcast every match.

Yeah, I got nothing.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 28 Aug 2017, 21:24

cardiffrcm wrote:It's gone a little under the radar but Nafi Ma'afu has sign for Perpignan of the PRO D2.

Nafi is a 6'7" 19 year old No.8 or lock, from Phoenix, who has played for the US AA's at U20 & U18 level.

Great news. Academy deal, presumably? Mahoni and Maafu are probably the future at lock.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Tue, 29 Aug 2017, 22:08

cardiffrcm wrote:It's gone a little under the radar but Nafi Ma'afu has sign for Perpignan of the PRO D2.

Remembered seeing him in that game against Canada looking very quick and agile for his size. Exciting news. Curious what comes of all these academy deals: mahoni, fuualau, de haas etc

https://www.usarugby.org/2017/08/aig-me ... rugbytown/

Also end of this article mentions who from Rugbytown 7s will attend the national 7s camp. I find it particularly cool that it includes 3 players from relatively obscure schools (GCU and NMH) that are moving up in the world.

One guy that I think also deserved a look was Reece Craznicki (can't spell it). Was surprised by him

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 30 Aug 2017, 21:57

So I finally watched the France match. I had seen a rumor on Pete Steinberg retiring. Sounds like it's true based on the commentator. However the USAR comms department is missing on this.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Fri, 01 Sep 2017, 14:42

Not sure why it was hard to find, but here is a list of all the players at the High performance camp.

http://rugby7smagazine.com/breakingusa- ... big-names/

A cool mix. Its good to see younger guys that maybe dont have a shot now, but they are getting the conditioning and training to make them ready in a few years.

Also glad to see Garrett Bender back in the mix. Even without Durutalo, competition for the 3 starting forward should be intense: Barrett, Tomasin, Pinkelman, Bender are all credible starters on top of any new guys in the mix like Al-Jiboori, Schwarz, Welmers, Melphy etc

Tagive played for the jesters on the wing, but not sure where Conor Dolan was. I think in the centers?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 01 Sep 2017, 16:19

Welmers isn't new. He's made several appearances and was even on the Olympic squad. He's just in the Army so his appearances aren't necessarily consistent.

Postby 4N » Fri, 01 Sep 2017, 16:32

Write up on Belmont Shore, with a mention of professionalism at the end.

http://www.gazettes.com/sports/century/ ... ca08b.html

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Fri, 01 Sep 2017, 17:08

TheStroBro wrote:Welmers isn't new. He's made several appearances and was even on the Olympic squad. He's just in the Army so his appearances aren't necessarily consistent.

Realize that. Al jiboori and Schwarz also got time last year. Just wouldn't call them core players like the 4 I listed (assuming Bender is back at the same level as 2015-2016 season)

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Sat, 02 Sep 2017, 09:16

Coloradoan wrote:

Great news. Academy deal, presumably? Mahoni and Maafu are probably the future at lock.

Mahoni needs to show he has a bit of devil and a greater work rate.

Maafu is very athletic and could end up in the back row.

There are options at lock now; Peterson, Brakeley, Jensen, Civetta, Landry and Ostberg.

There is also the dual purpose 8man/locks, Manoa, Dolan and Tameilau.

I think Landry could be the best of the locks and a big match against Georgia (the crowd will be full of scouts) could land him a European contract

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Sat, 02 Sep 2017, 09:23

4N wrote:Write up on Belmont Shore, with a mention of professionalism at the end.

A San Diego iMLR team s expected to be announced shortly, San Francisco is a probability for 2019 (the French 7s player Gobelet is involved) and there are also strong rumours of a Sacramento team .

4 Californian teams would make more sense than 3 Texan ones although Dallas does now appear to defunct.

A West Caost conference with Seattle, Vancouver, Utah and Glendale would be strong

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 02 Sep 2017, 14:53

cardiffrcm wrote:
4N wrote:Write up on Belmont Shore, with a mention of professionalism at the end.

A San Diego iMLR team s expected to be announced shortly, San Francisco is a probability for 2019 (the French 7s player Gobelet is involved) and there are also strong rumours of a Sacramento team .

4 Californian teams would make more sense than 3 Texan ones although Dallas does now appear to defunct.

A West Coast conference with Seattle, Vancouver, Utah and Glendale would be strong

I disagree on this. Texas Rugby is extremely strong and could easily sustain 3 sides. SF I have issues with because it's a PITA to live there. Whereas there are places you can commute from in LA and SD to drive down your cost of living. The two largest Rugby markets and also the two strongest growth markets for Rugby have been California and Texas. So Three Texas teams makes much more sense than bending over backwards for say a NYC or NE team.

In regards to Dallas, yes, all the information I have is they're gone and Phil will not be welcomed back even if he has the cash.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Sat, 02 Sep 2017, 21:48

I would disagree with Texas rugby being extremely strong. Austin Blacks have been a good club in recent times and the Huns have obviously come on strong since professionalizing, but that's two clubs. Their college scene is below average and their HS all star teams don't perform particularly well (Goff didn't even rank them in his top 15 rankings). They also put out very few Eagles. Ngwenya and Baumann are the only ones from the last RWC squad with even tenuous links to Texas rugby and neither learned their rugby there. That said, there is a lot of athletic talent in the state and it's an important state from a strategic point of view so it's a good thing MLR is getting in there. And it's also been a state where the Eagles have produced strong crowds lately so they have shown strength off the pitch. I'll love the day when they are actually strong on the pitch because that's the day we become a Tier 1 nation.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Sun, 03 Sep 2017, 08:09

There are two differing arguments here:-

1) Does Texas produce 50% or 75% of the rugby talent that California does? The answer is clearly not; there is no evidence of this at any level.....at the moment.

2) Can Texas produce well run professional rugby clubs? The answer would be; clearly they can.

On the other side of the pond, I clearly have no idea as to what is happening on the ground in the States.

Though, what is evident is that Texas appears to be a sports mad region and there are some very motivated and professional individuals who are creating something special in Houston and Austin. There is no such influence evident in California.........at the moment.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Sun, 03 Sep 2017, 20:57

Good points. I'd agree and also highlight that until recently, Texas rugby showed poorly but there were a decent number of Texas raised players at Life, lindenwood and other middle america programs.

A stronger local scene at high school college and "pro" club could make a big difference.

Another state like that is Indiana with such strong high school programs. But Indianapolis is kind of a non factor for clubs. Part of that I guess is that about 80% of college grads from a Indiana based universities leave Indiana within a couple years

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum