Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: USA Rugby

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 25 May 2017, 06:32

I think Friday's more general point here is that if one has to choose between recruiting crossovers or getting more elite athletes playing rugby in high school and then coming back to the sport if they don't make the NFL, you choose the latter every time.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Thu, 25 May 2017, 07:24

Coloradoan wrote:I think Friday's more general point here is that if one has to choose between recruiting crossovers or getting more elite athletes playing rugby in high school and then coming back to the sport if they don't make the NFL, you choose the latter every time.

USA has huuuge potential to become T1. Trick is to make all states play rugby and leave Kentucky in NFL, nobody likes Kentucky anyways. :D

If serious, i dont know why US cant field some decent team having such a huge number of athletes. I mean Georgian Rugby is lacking quality athletes due to opposition from Basketball, Football, Classic and Greco-Roman wrestling and Judo. All of them are trying to get best athletes and population is 3.7M

US on the other hand has 3.7M athletes and a lot of Financial abilities to hire some best Coaching stuff from southern hemisphere and infrastructure. Only thing US lacks is willingness, to make Rugby popular. NFL, Hokey, Basketball, Baseball, Sprint, Marathon basically everything is popular except Rugby.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 25 May 2017, 11:19

RugbyPUBtbilisi wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:I think Friday's more general point here is that if one has to choose between recruiting crossovers or getting more elite athletes playing rugby in high school and then coming back to the sport if they don't make the NFL, you choose the latter every time.

USA has huuuge potential to become T1. Trick is to make all states play rugby and leave Kentucky in NFL, nobody likes Kentucky anyways. :D

If serious, i dont know why US cant field some decent team having such a huge number of athletes. I mean Georgian Rugby is lacking quality athletes due to opposition from Basketball, Football, Classic and Greco-Roman wrestling and Judo. All of them are trying to get best athletes and population is 3.7M

US on the other hand has 3.7M athletes and a lot of Financial abilities to hire some best Coaching stuff from southern hemisphere and infrastructure. Only thing US lacks is willingness, to make Rugby popular. NFL, Hokey, Basketball, Baseball, Sprint, Marathon basically everything is popular except Rugby.

Personally, I do not think there is anything the U.S lacks. If it's the financial might, they have it, if it's numbers they have a population of 320+. Basically, the U.S can decide to become a tier 1 nation in the blink of an eye. It all boils down to the dedication of a select few who are willing to push the game.
A good example of this is 7's rugby. After Mike Friday left Kenya due to poor pay, he got a 300% increase plus a whole pool of resources and he has worked wonders for them. Kenya's only challenge was that the union doesn't have much money compared to the U.S, but we try with the little we have.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Thu, 25 May 2017, 20:36

Coloradoan wrote:That's great for Mahoni. I forgot he got injured. That's really a shame for the U20s. Him, Fualaau, Thomas, Mikesell and Al Jiboori would have made it 5 capped players in either 7s or 15s on the team, surely a record for that us at that level. Still not bad to have 3 of them, though. I'm really high on Telea. I'd imagine he and Wenglewski will start at prop, with one of them moving to tighthead. Iscaro has played a lot of hooker for Cal.

The roster list published by Americas Rugby News also includes Kareem Odeh who is a tighthead. I don't know how much game time he's had for Life this season, but clearly he's highly rated.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 25 May 2017, 20:45

John Mitchell finally signed with the Bulls: https://twitter.com/BlueBullsRugby/stat ... 9483324416

Any news on potential replacements?

National Flag:

Postby Sura » Thu, 25 May 2017, 20:50

carbonero wrote:John Mitchell finally signed with the Bulls: https://twitter.com/BlueBullsRugby/stat ... 9483324416

I assume since Scott Lawrence was brought in to the camp that he's a good bet.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 25 May 2017, 22:39

Sura wrote:
carbonero wrote:John Mitchell finally signed with the Bulls: https://twitter.com/BlueBullsRugby/stat ... 9483324416

I assume since Scott Lawrence was brought in to the camp that he's a good bet.

Basically someone unqualified because we need to save Money. Scott may be a good guy, but the last time we went cheap, the play wasn't good and was filled with drama.

Postby 4N » Sun, 28 May 2017, 00:02

Cam Dolan leaving Cardiff, possibly headed for Oyonnax in France.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 01 Jun 2017, 14:59

OP-ED and video on why Major League Rugby Needs to succeed, our elite coaching pipeline:

http://thestrobro.blogspot.com/2017/06/ ... cceed.html

https://youtu.be/64rltlhshQY

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 01 Jun 2017, 16:37

4N wrote:Cam Dolan leaving Cardiff, possibly headed for Oyonnax in France.

With Cudmore retiring from playing it makes some sense. Dolan is a good versatile player and should fill in well.

Postby 4N » Thu, 01 Jun 2017, 18:46

Not a bad idea this, cost-effective too.

One male and one female athlete will be invited to join the national team camps for four sports – bobsled, skeleton, track cycling and rugby. The eight athletes who are selected will be eligible to receive financial, training and medical support as they prepare for the opportunity to compete at the Olympic Games in their identified sport.

In addition to receiving professional coaching, training and sport science services while residing at the OTC, the athlete experience and progress will be highlighted on Team USA social channels, and the entire program – along with announcement of the winners – will be featured on a two-hour broadcast airing in August on NBCSN.

Athletes are invited to apply through the online portal, where they will provide detail about their experience, complete a pre-screen and submit video demonstrating pre-defined physical abilities. In addition, athletes can attend an in-person screening session on June 24 at select 24 Hour Fitness locations across 13 U.S. markets, including Austin, Texas; Dallas; Denver; Houston; Los Angeles; New Jersey/New York area; Orlando, Florida; Portland, Oregan; Sacramento, California; San Diego; San Francisco Bay Area; Seattle; and Washington, D.C. Tryout information and registration instructions are available at TeamUSA.org/NextOlympicHopeful and 24hourfitness.com.

http://www.teamusa.org/News/2017/May/31 ... ic-Hopeful

National Flag:

Postby SDyeti » Thu, 01 Jun 2017, 19:53

Has anyone else noticed that Marcel Brache has been wearing the 15 shirt the last couple of times he's started for the Force?

I have to think if he's getting some starts at 15 for a Super Rugby team that he may get some time there for the Eagles as 15 is a bit "unsettled".

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 01 Jun 2017, 20:10

The whole back 3 is basically unsettled without Scully and Ngwenya. With an eye to 2019, he might be well placed as a fullback with Scully and Wooching (hopefully) as the first choice wings.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Sat, 03 Jun 2017, 14:05

Bit optimistic to already be looking at wooching as the savior no?

I'm still holding out hope that Mikesell will develop more at Lindenwood

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Sat, 03 Jun 2017, 17:56

Maybe, but there is a reason Wooching got a trial with Pau and is playing 10s with Quins coming up. He's not really a crossover.

Mikesell I definitely hope will continue to develop. And maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking post RWC is when he should really come on strong. Could certainly happen before then, though.

National Flag:

Postby RiffRaff » Sun, 04 Jun 2017, 02:25

TheStroBro wrote:OP-ED and video on why Major League Rugby Needs to succeed, our elite coaching pipeline:

A lot of good points, although a bit optimistic.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 04 Jun 2017, 04:12

RiffRaff wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:OP-ED and video on why Major League Rugby Needs to succeed, our elite coaching pipeline:

A lot of good points, although a bit optimistic.

I agree. The folks behind MLR are not Doug though.

I think the only punchers chance of us actually getting to T1 on the pitch is hosting the WC in 2027 or 2031, a professional set up for a minimum of ten years coupled with USAR not messing up everything like it did while Nigel was CEO. I agree it's cautiously optimistic, but our sport didn't grow for the last five years. We just exchanged 1:1 Senior:Youth.

On Wooching, I honestly think he could be on the side right now and start. He's that good of an athlete and has played Rugby most of his life. And if you look at it, there was only about a four year gap of not playing. He picked the game back up his junior year playing for the UW Rugby Club while also playing Safety.

Postby 4N » Wed, 07 Jun 2017, 17:08

Titi Lamositele out of US squad, replaced by uncapped Paddy Ryan of Newcastle Falcons. Prop isn't a position where they can afford any more injuries.

National Flag:

Postby MLB3BB2 » Wed, 07 Jun 2017, 20:25

4N wrote:Titi Lamositele out of US squad, replaced by uncapped Paddy Ryan of Newcastle Falcons. Prop isn't a position where they can afford any more injuries.

I read elsewhere the idea of moving Taufete'e over to loosehead, with Hilterbrand and Malcolm adequately covering hooker. Seems to make sense, even if not ideal.

Postby 4N » Wed, 07 Jun 2017, 20:52

I'm a fan of that idea. Malcolm played very well in the ARC and Taufete'e is plenty big and powerful enough to prop.

National Flag:

Postby SDyeti » Thu, 08 Jun 2017, 21:17

Lineup!

Men's Eagles | v. Ireland
1. Ben Tarr
2. Peter Malcolm
3. Chris Baumann
4. Nate Brakeley
5. Nic Civetta
6. John Quill
7. Tony Lamborn
8. David Tameilau
9. Nate Augspurger (C)
10. AJ MacGinty
11. Martin Iosefo
12. Marcel Brache
13. Ryan Matyas
14. Mike Te'o
15. Ben Cima

Men's Eagles | Reserves
16. James Hilterbrand
17. Joe Taufete'e
18. Paddy Ryan
19. Matthew Jensen
20. Andrew Durutalo
21. Shaun Davies
22. Will Magie
23. Bryce Campbell

Read more at https://www.usarugby.org/2017/06/squad- ... 02346Qu.99

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 08 Jun 2017, 21:41

Not a lineup that inspires confidence. Hope I'm wrong.

Postby 4N » Thu, 08 Jun 2017, 22:12

IRELAND (1-15): Cian Healy, Niall Scannell, John Ryan, Quinn Roux, Devin Toner, Rhys Ruddock, Josh Van Der Flier, Jack Conan; Kieran Marmion, Joey Carberry, Jacob Stockdale, Luke Marshall, Garry Ringrose, Keith Earls, Tiernan O’Halloran

Good tight 5 and exciting backs, with Zebo on the bench too. Back row the Eagles might hope for parity (and maybe the locks in terms of workrate) but it's a tough matchup overall. Both Irish props are good and their locks are heavy. Could be tough going at scrumtime for the US.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Thu, 08 Jun 2017, 23:16

I think that front row will get ravaged... definitely feels a bit experimental which would make sense for the first test. But less when it's the best team we face this summer.

Losing Titi is a big blow and really feel like Joe would make a difference at 2 based purely on size

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 09 Jun 2017, 15:21

Preview of the USA side:https://youtu.be/j3HSqk-HdY0

The forward pack looks the most interesting. Not sure why Taufete'e isn't starting. I expected him on the field immediately based on his performance in the premiership. Makes me think Mitchell is resigned to losing to Ireland rather than putting forth everything we got every time. I can understand that he intends to throw the kitchen sink the next three matches.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum