Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: USA Rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 11 Apr 2017, 16:05

cardiffrcm wrote:Sebastian Kalm and Anthony Purpura have both signed for Old Blue.

In the fall they signed Dylan Fawcitt and Demecus Beach . Also signed were South African Pro Players Dean Muir (although he may be now back in RSA with the Stormers) & Stephan Rossouw.

Added to existing Eagles; Hume, Matyas, Bird, Augspurger & Higgins. As well as USA 7's camp invitees, Alex Schwarz, Wallace-Sims & Kirkland it's quite a squad they are building up.

They were also quick to add some of last years best Grads; Hadley, A'more-Morrison (both AIC) & Sheriden (Stoney Brook), as well as former Life AA prodigy Paris Hollis.

It's now a squad comparable with the PRO Rugby squads of last year. If they decide to go down the professional route, they would have a team to compete against Austin, Glendale and Seattle

Old Blue hasn't signed anyone. What has occured are players CIPPING with them. Currently Old Blue's match facility, the Columbia football stadium does not meet the minimum standards for capacity (4K). They could change to Icahn I suppose, but Icahn also doesn't currently meet minimum standards for broadcast/press facilities.

As far as a team in SoCal...Rugby is stupid with density in San Diego right now and OMBAC has done a lot down there. And when I was there for the Women's Test the folks lamented the loss of the Breakers and would love for another. Not sure how much money is behind OMBAC though.

SFGG also will not be joining according to Grant Cole because it somehow eats into their business model...I don't know how they're charging admission though, sounds to me not the way to go for an amateur side. The one club in SF that could make this a go financially tomorrow is Olympic Club. The Olympic Club has the money, it's just whether the Club wants to do it. And I don't mean the Rugby side when I refer to the Club, the rugby side is only a small piece of The Olympic Club.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 11 Apr 2017, 16:28

SFGG can charge admission because they don't play in a public park like most amateur teams. They play on Treasure Island in SF in a decent facility with stands and such. They could decide that longer term the MLR model is the way to go but I don't blame anyone for being skeptical initially.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 11 Apr 2017, 16:40

Coloradoan wrote:SFGG can charge admission because they don't play in a public park like most amateur teams. They play on Treasure Island in SF in a decent facility with stands and such. They could decide that longer term the MLR model is the way to go but I don't blame anyone for being skeptical initially.

SFGG came onto the scene directly into the old Super League, so it's interesting.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 11 Apr 2017, 16:41

By the way, if you were going to pick a place in the Bay Area, the East Bay would be a really good option right now. The Raiders are moving to Vegas and the Warriors are moving to SF. The NHL is far away in SJ and so is MLS. The As and Cal, whose athletic department is really struggling at the moment, are the only direct competition. You also have a shot at picking up some of the Sacramento market.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 11 Apr 2017, 16:43

TheStroBro wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:SFGG can charge admission because they don't play in a public park like most amateur teams. They play on Treasure Island in SF in a decent facility with stands and such. They could decide that longer term the MLR model is the way to go but I don't blame anyone for being skeptical initially.

SFGG came onto the scene directly into the old Super League, so it's interesting.

What do you mean came onto the scene?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 11 Apr 2017, 17:10

Coloradoan wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

What do you mean came onto the scene?

Did a little digging. SFGG as a club did not exist prior to 2001. They came onto the scene as a club and went directly into the old Super League which they won in 2009 and 2011.

Now what I did not know until today was that SFGG was formed as a merger betweent SFRFC and GGRFC. I'm guessing you may have known some of that, I didn't.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Tue, 11 Apr 2017, 20:43

TheStroBro wrote:
cardiffrcm wrote:Sebastian Kalm and Anthony Purpura have both signed for Old Blue.

In the fall they signed Dylan Fawcitt and Demecus Beach . Also signed were South African Pro Players Dean Muir (although he may be now back in RSA with the Stormers) & Stephan Rossouw.

Added to existing Eagles; Hume, Matyas, Bird, Augspurger & Higgins. As well as USA 7's camp invitees, Alex Schwarz, Wallace-Sims & Kirkland it's quite a squad they are building up.

They were also quick to add some of last years best Grads; Hadley, A'more-Morrison (both AIC) & Sheriden (Stoney Brook), as well as former Life AA prodigy Paris Hollis.

It's now a squad comparable with the PRO Rugby squads of last year. If they decide to go down the professional route, they would have a team to compete against Austin, Glendale and Seattle

Old Blue hasn't signed anyone. What has occured are players CIPPING with them. Currently Old Blue's match facility, the Columbia football stadium does not meet the minimum standards for capacity (4K). They could change to Icahn I suppose, but Icahn also doesn't currently meet minimum standards for broadcast/press facilities.

As far as a team in SoCal...Rugby is stupid with density in San Diego right now and OMBAC has done a lot down there. And when I was there for the Women's Test the folks lamented the loss of the Breakers and would love for another. Not sure how much money is behind OMBAC though.

SFGG also will not be joining according to Grant Cole because it somehow eats into their business model...I don't know how they're charging admission though, sounds to me not the way to go for an amateur side. The one club in SF that could make this a go financially tomorrow is Olympic Club. The Olympic Club has the money, it's just whether the Club wants to do it. And I don't mean the Rugby side when I refer to the Club, the rugby side is only a small piece of The Olympic Club.

Sebastian Kalm has announced it himself on Instagram. What does 'CIPPING' mean? Why doesn't Purpura 'CIPP' with Boston RFC, is existing/previous club?

Who is Grant Cole?

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 11 Apr 2017, 20:54

CIPP is the acronym used in the US for registering with a club. You can go on USA Rugby's website and look up clubs and see everyone they have CIPPed.

Grant Cole. He runs the ThisIsTexasRugby blog/Twitter account. He seems to have some good connections in the Texas rugby scene (he also posted on here about the IRB to WR name change well before it was public) but he also really hitched his wagon to the NRFL people on this forum a few years back, which may lead to some skepticism from some people.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Wed, 12 Apr 2017, 06:15

www.rugbytoday.com/clubs/old-blue-gorge ... victorious

Kalm and Purpura made there debuts for Old Blue last Saturday against Mystic River. Both scored tries.

Do Old Blue players get paid?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 12 Apr 2017, 06:36

cardiffrcm wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Sebastian Kalm has announced it himself on Instagram. What does 'CIPPING' mean? Why doesn't Purpura 'CIPP' with Boston RFC, is existing/previous club?

Who is Grant Cole?

You're the same Cardiffrcm that's over on the MLR reddit page right? If so, you'll know him from there as thisistexasrugby.

Some people question his positioning as he did support the NRFL in concept. He was given a look at the platform and liked everything he saw. It's just that it was perhaps a little overly ambitious and too separate from the Rugby community to succeed.

He tends to have strong connections in the Texan Rugby sphere and beyond. I've always found him worth a chat via fb from time to time.

If you tune in to the Huns games he's the bearded bloke who commentates their games. Gave me a shout out on air back when they were playing OMBAC.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 12 Apr 2017, 15:48

cardiffrcm wrote:http://www.rugbytoday.com/clubs/old-blue-gorge-norfolk-pitt-victorious

Kalm and Purpura made there debuts for Old Blue last Saturday against Mystic River. Both scored tries.

No. They have some of the highest club dues I've ever seen.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Wed, 12 Apr 2017, 19:51

TheStroBro wrote:
cardiffrcm wrote:http://www.rugbytoday.com/clubs/old-blue-gorge-norfolk-pitt-victorious

No. They have some of the highest club dues I've ever seen.

Are you telling me that Kalm, who could of easily obtained a healthy contract with the Huns or the Raptors, is instead paying $600 dollars to play for Old Blue?

Postby 4N » Wed, 12 Apr 2017, 22:01

Psalm Wooching to trial with Pau in France. Looks like Eddie O'Sullivan was involved.

https://mobile.twitter.com/UWPsalmWooch ... 7559362564

Still interested to hear whether he is considering Samoa or committed to the US.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 12 Apr 2017, 22:44

4N wrote:Psalm Wooching to trial with Pau in France. Looks like Eddie O'Sullivan was involved.

https://mobile.twitter.com/UWPsalmWooch ... 7559362564

Still interested to hear whether he is considering Samoa or committed to the US.

Good for him. He's clearly making the transition pretty quickly, given that he was still playing football in January.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 12 Apr 2017, 23:01

The little write up on TIAR stating he's raw is a bit disingenuous. Psalm has played Rugby most of his life, has played for Washington's Club and then has played for the Saracens. Skills are different, but it's not like someone tossed him an egg in February.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 12 Apr 2017, 23:19

TheStroBro wrote:The little write up on TIAR stating he's raw is a bit disingenuous. Psalm has played Rugby most of his life, has played for Washington's Club and then has played for the Saracens. Skills are different, but it's not like someone tossed him an egg in February.

I don't think it's disingenuous. Yes, he has rugby experience but he's been focusing on football for the last 4 years of his life and his senior men's experience is basically a handful of games in the BCPL. For a Top 14 club, that would almost certainly be considered a raw player. That's not a dig at him either. Even someone like Samu Manoa was considered raw when he first got to Northampton, despite being capped.

Edit: that said, you can see the potential from the highlights of those handful of games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5jRqYFKplA

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 13 Apr 2017, 15:20

Pat Clifton's latest notes http://www.rugbytoday.com/7s/cliff-notes-7s-success-built-house-cards

I will tell you that I think Pat has a vendetta against Mitchell with the way he characterized that. People can say what they want, but cost of living is significantly higher here than anywhere else in the world. Mitchell's contract and how it got him to be flown in can all be thrown at Melville for not giving him the extra $30k/yr to buy a house.

Pat told me on twitter that his salary was a king's ransom...but it's not, a king's ransom is paying the amount of money Eddie Jones has in his contract and the results are the same as they were before hand.

His characterization of the player pipeline in regards to Madison Hughes and Perry Baker isn't exactly correct. He doesn't mention Dartmouth, a powerhouse in Rugby; he doesn't mention the Tiger Rugby Academy which has converted many football players into high level Rugby Players. So these players are not unique at all.

I do like a bunch of the stuff about coaching development and opportunities there. Part of USAR's strategic plan is to develop an American Identity for both coaching and playing styles. Mitchell spending a significant portion of the year in South Africa doesn't help him or USAR train new high level coaches. With the addition of MLR though, we could see a nice change. I don't really want to see every team playing the same exact style like Super Rugby teams in NZ, but for their players to be intelligent and talented enough to play the style demanded at National team levels.

7s for the moment is still a developmental pathway to reach XVs. We don't have the depth to be where Pat wants us to be. The only reason the other teams have the funding they do is because of their XVs program is funding it.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Thu, 13 Apr 2017, 18:05

Cost of living is not significantly higher here than anywhere else in the world: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/r ... ountry.jsp

In terms of cost of living, we're right in the middle of the T1 countries. I firmly believe our next XVs coach should relocate to the US as part of his job. It shows a certain level of commitment to the job. I was also of that opinion for Mitchell before the ARC, but given the results at the ARC I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I come in somewhere between you guys on Perry Baker and Madison Hughes. I wouldn't characterize Dartmouth as a powerhouse. Who are these other 7s players they've put into the national team? And their XVs program basically hums along at the same level each year, good enough to dominate the Ivy League but not much more than that. I have respect for Dartmouth's coach Gavin Hickie as a coach, and certainly it's going to be tough for any Ivy League school to compete at the highest level, but it's a big stretch to call them a powerhouse in rugby. Hughes was also an obvious talent well before his time at Dartmouth and even early in his time at Dartmouth he was a star of the USA U20 team that won the JWRT. Ultimately, he developed much of his game sense and skills a kid playing in England. That is hard to replicate and the next time a Madison Hughes comes around, England (or whatever T1 country) may not be so quick to let him go. On the other hand, I completely agree with you about Tiger Rugby. And given Perry Baker's success, you'd have to imagine more fast guys who don't stick in the NFL will give rugby a shot. Let's just say there are a lot more guys like Perry Baker out there than there are guys like Madison Hughes. Niua will be tough to replace too in that he functions as a second playmaker but also is a strong enough to bosh when necessary and make some monster cleanouts at ruck time. Maybe Teo grows into that role over time or maybe someone comes in with a different skill set (second playmaker, more speed, less power?) who makes it work.

Ultimately, though, Clifton wants to have his cake and eat it too. He wants more focus on the 7s team, but expects no fall off from the 15s team from that refocus. And while I am certainly sympathetic to the complaints about a lack of marketing for 15s tests, proper marketing and advertising costs money.

Personally, I'd prefer the focus to be squarely on the 15s team in the short term. The reason is that if we can build off the ARC and get some good results, that's going to mean we get more fans paying to watch the Eagles and in the medium term it also means we will get more T1 test matches. More T1 test matches means more revenue generated (see: All Blacks test 2014 for an extreme case), which means more money for everyone in USA Rugby. In every T1 country, the national team is a huge money generator and funds the development of the game, whether that is at grass roots or extra funding for union-owned pro teams. 7s will never be able to do that for us. 15s can.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 13 Apr 2017, 18:23

When you talk about Rugby and 7s. The best way I can compare it to anything is collegiate athletics.

Men's XVs drive the revenue for a Union much like Football and Men's basketball drive the revenue for Athletic departments.

Although I love our women's program, Women's XV 7s, and Men's 7s are non-revenue generating ventures at this time. All of the revenue from Vegas 7s, which if put on by USAR would generate enough funds to fully fund both women's and men's 7s, isn't put on by USAR. In fact, before UWS bid for the contract from World Rugby, the US almost lost the stop on the WS because it looked like Wellington does now. But he should know this, since his publisher also own UWS.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 14 Apr 2017, 15:25

TheStroBro wrote:When you talk about Rugby and 7s. The best way I can compare it to anything is collegiate athletics.

Men's XVs drive the revenue for a Union much like Football and Men's basketball drive the revenue for Athletic departments.

Although I love our women's program, Women's XV 7s, and Men's 7s are non-revenue generating ventures at this time. All of the revenue from Vegas 7s, which if put on by USAR would generate enough funds to fully fund both women's and men's 7s, isn't put on by USAR. In fact, before UWS bid for the contract from World Rugby, the US almost lost the stop on the WS because it looked like Wellington does now. But he should know this, since his publisher also own UWS.

That's a good analogy. About the revenue from the Vegas 7s, my recollection is USAR sold the rights to UWS while retaining a minority stake rather than UWS winning the rights away from them. Is that not right?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 14 Apr 2017, 16:10

Coloradoan wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:When you talk about Rugby and 7s. The best way I can compare it to anything is collegiate athletics.

That's a good analogy. About the revenue from the Vegas 7s, my recollection is USAR sold the rights to UWS while retaining a minority stake rather than UWS winning the rights away from them. Is that not right?

USAR has a 10% ownership stake in USA 7s LLC. UWS owns 90%. However, based on what I understand, if USAR was not able to find a buyer we would have lost the stop as attendance the first year was very very very bad. UWS takes a 90% stake, moves it to SD, then takes bids for a new site in 2010 and now we have the Vegas 7s. Which seems be one of the higher grossing events on the series. 10% gives us some revenue, but not much.

Not really related to 7s, but I'll also be attending the CANAM match at USD, if I can swing it I'll also head to ATL and do a full recap of the summer internationals.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 14 Apr 2017, 16:59

TheStroBro wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:

USAR has a 10% ownership stake in USA 7s LLC. UWS owns 90%. However, based on what I understand, if USAR was not able to find a buyer we would have lost the stop as attendance the first year was very very very bad. UWS takes a 90% stake, moves it to SD, then takes bids for a new site in 2010 and now we have the Vegas 7s. Which seems be one of the higher grossing events on the series. 10% gives us some revenue, but not much.

Not really related to 7s, but I'll also be attending the CANAM match at USD, if I can swing it I'll also head to ATL and do a full recap of the summer internationals.

My recollection is that they didn't sell it until after the second year had been hosted. They had it a few years in LA and at one point Damon Dash was rumored to be making a big investment in either the event or rugby more generally. Attendance was bad by today's standards, but the 7s was also a young series back then. HK, Wellington and Dubai were well established legs with strong crowds but the rest of the series, including South Africa, did not draw strong crowds. Standards of play were ridiculously far from what they are today. And LA was always and continues to be a crappy place to host events. Moving to San Diego and on to Vegas were excellent decisions by UWS, although I seem to remember the move to Vegas was in part because the Padres complained about Petco being used for rugby and Vegas simply offered a much better deal than the local San Diego authorities.

It should be interesting to see what happens to the event with the new Raiders stadium going in. It's almost certain the event will move there. It's a bigger stadium to fill than UNLV's stadium, but it will also be much, much more convenient for people staying on the Strip or even on Fremont St. UNLV's stadium also was and is a giant shithole that gets pretty miserable at night once the sun goes down and the transportation situation to get out there isn't exactly quick or easy. I'd imagine the combo of the new stadium factor and the proximity to the Strip should boost attendance considerably for the event.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 14 Apr 2017, 18:08

Coloradoan wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:

My recollection is that they didn't sell it until after the second year had been hosted. They had it a few years in LA and at one point Damon Dash was rumored to be making a big investment in either the event or rugby more generally. Attendance was bad by today's standards, but the 7s was also a young series back then. HK, Wellington and Dubai were well established legs with strong crowds but the rest of the series, including South Africa, did not draw strong crowds. Standards of play were ridiculously far from what they are today. And LA was always and continues to be a crappy place to host events. Moving to San Diego and on to Vegas were excellent decisions by UWS, although I seem to remember the move to Vegas was in part because the Padres complained about Petco being used for rugby and Vegas simply offered a much better deal than the local San Diego authorities.

It should be interesting to see what happens to the event with the new Raiders stadium going in. It's almost certain the event will move there. It's a bigger stadium to fill than UNLV's stadium, but it will also be much, much more convenient for people staying on the Strip or even on Fremont St. UNLV's stadium also was and is a giant shithole that gets pretty miserable at night once the sun goes down and the transportation situation to get out there isn't exactly quick or easy. I'd imagine the combo of the new stadium factor and the proximity to the Strip should boost attendance considerably for the event.

The Raiders stadium will be an interesting piece in the equation. This last year they increased tickets sold from last year, the growth wasn't crazy high on the spectator side with I think the difference was 2k more tickets sold this year. But Sam Boyd stadium's capacity is 35k, so 86k tickets over three days is pretty solid for usage of venue. You have to remember that that Vegas 7s is run in conjunction with the Vegas Invitational 7s and XVs tournament and Dan Payne stated that the schedule would not adjust any time soon as that's been the whole point: a Rugby Festival. The festival itself playing out on the practice fields on UNLV and the surrounding parks.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Fri, 14 Apr 2017, 18:55

They've also had to deal with some Canadians opting for the Vancouver 7s, which they didn't have to deal with until the last 2 years. The Vegas event has always had pretty solid Canadian attendance.

Regarding the LVI, they could continue playing out by Sam Boyd or they could move to the actual UNLV campus, which is quite a bit closer to the Strip/Raiders Stadium than to Sam Boyd. There also may not be much of a choice in moving the 7WS event to the new stadium. UNLV's football team will be moving there, as will pretty much every stadium-sized event. My guess is Sam Boyd gets knocked down within a few years of the new stadium going up.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 14 Apr 2017, 21:46

Coloradoan wrote:They've also had to deal with some Canadians opting for the Vancouver 7s, which they didn't have to deal with until the last 2 years. The Vegas event has always had pretty solid Canadian attendance.

Regarding the LVI, they could continue playing out by Sam Boyd or they could move to the actual UNLV campus, which is quite a bit closer to the Strip/Raiders Stadium than to Sam Boyd. There also may not be much of a choice in moving the 7WS event to the new stadium. UNLV's football team will be moving there, as will pretty much every stadium-sized event. My guess is Sam Boyd gets knocked down within a few years of the new stadium going up.

The key here I would think is to have viable playing venues near the stadium I'm guessing that the Raiders will have a separate practice facility close by as well. I didn't know UNLV was moving...well there you have it. Should be a legit time.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum