Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: USA Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 18 Apr 2018, 14:37

Nice videos guys! You should do more vids like this on other up and coming T2 nations.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 18 Apr 2018, 20:10

Interview with Martin Anayi, CEO of PRO14. He says now USA expansion is on a second plan: https://www.onrugby.it/2018/04/17/pro14 ... sudafrica/ They look like to be focusing on more South Africa expansion.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 18 Apr 2018, 20:46

victorsra wrote:Interview with Martin Anayi, CEO of PRO14. He says now USA expansion is on a second plan: https://www.onrugby.it/2018/04/17/pro14 ... sudafrica/ They look like to be focusing on more South Africa expansion.

I would thoroughly enjoy if they never came here. We don't need a Pro14 team as much as we need 20 MLR teams to develop markets and talent over time.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 18 Apr 2018, 21:17

I think their eyes on South Africa will save MLR... but I still bet Sharks, Bulls, Lions and Stormers will be tempted to move north (better match times for broadcasters and more money around).
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 19 Apr 2018, 23:44

Yeah I want to keep Pro14 the fuck out of here. We’re American. We do things American ways. We have an American league now. Don’t try coming in here to just profit off our hard work.

Postby 4N » Fri, 20 Apr 2018, 00:37

victorsra wrote:Interview with Martin Anayi, CEO of PRO14. He says now USA expansion is on a second plan: https://www.onrugby.it/2018/04/17/pro14 ... sudafrica/ They look like to be focusing on more South Africa expansion.

He's just admitting defeat in the US market.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Fri, 20 Apr 2018, 05:58

TheStroBro wrote:

I would thoroughly enjoy if they never came here. We don't need a Pro14 team as much as we need 20 MLR teams to develop markets and talent over time.

This.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 20 Apr 2018, 09:21

Yep, my gut feeling that the South African Super Rugby team will jump ship to the Pro 14 eventually seems likely to happen.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 23 Apr 2018, 16:28

So some big upsets in college rugby this weekend with Lindenwood soundly beating St Mary's and Penn State edging BYU. That's great for college rugby and likely a good sign for an overall uptick in talent and standards nationwide, but now USA Rugby seems to have re-seeded the field out of nowhere so that Lindenwood travels to Cal instead of Cal traveling to Life. WTF?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 23 Apr 2018, 22:23

Coloradoan wrote:So some big upsets in college rugby this weekend with Lindenwood soundly beating St Mary's and Penn State edging BYU. That's great for college rugby and likely a good sign for an overall uptick in talent and standards nationwide, but now USA Rugby seems to have re-seeded the field out of nowhere so that Lindenwood travels to Cal instead of Cal traveling to Life. WTF?

D1A self governs. Looks kind of weird, but all of the schools were good with it.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 23 Apr 2018, 23:10

You sure all the schools were good with it? Lindenwood's Twitter account has been retweeted Mike Friday and Alex Goff who were critical of the decision. I also read that the schools weren't consulted prior to the decision.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 24 Apr 2018, 16:02

Coloradoan wrote:You sure all the schools were good with it? Lindenwood's Twitter account has been retweeted Mike Friday and Alex Goff who were critical of the decision. I also read that the schools weren't consulted prior to the decision.

Considering that all the schools voluntarily submit themselves under the governance of D1A, yep.

And I could care less what Friday or Goff think. Goff makes so many errors when it comes to player names and ranks teams that have no business in his ranking to get clicks.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 24 Apr 2018, 16:28

TheStroBro wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:You sure all the schools were good with it? Lindenwood's Twitter account has been retweeted Mike Friday and Alex Goff who were critical of the decision. I also read that the schools weren't consulted prior to the decision.

Considering that all the schools voluntarily submit themselves under the governance of D1A, yep.

And I could care less what Friday or Goff think. Goff makes so many errors when it comes to player names and ranks teams that have no business in his ranking to get clicks.

Voluntarily submitting to the governance of D1A prior to the season is not the same thing as being good with a decision made. That's a really weird line to take here and totally irrelevant.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 24 Apr 2018, 16:38

There's a difference between being good with it and not liking it. The funny thing is that everyone thinks this is because of Cal. When it's not. Paul Keeler whom is the executive chair of D1A is no friend of Jack's. If anything most of collegiate rugby has a sour taste for Cal, so making this decision was probably tough. It was done for costs savings. And now Lindenwood and Life are somehow mad. I didn't see Life offering to travel to Cal to make it so both Lindendwood and PSU could bus to Life...

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 24 Apr 2018, 16:47

TheStroBro wrote:There's a difference between being good with it and not liking it. The funny thing is that everyone thinks this is because of Cal. When it's not. Paul Keeler whom is the executive chair of D1A is no friend of Jack's. If anything most of collegiate rugby has a sour taste for Cal, so making this decision was probably tough. It was done for costs savings. And now Lindenwood and Life are somehow mad. I didn't see Life offering to travel to Cal to make it so both Lindendwood and PSU could bus to Life...

So what are you claiming now? That the schools were consulted and accepted the decision but are complaining on social media despite that? Because before you claimed this:

TheStroBro wrote:
Coloradoan wrote:So some big upsets in college rugby this weekend with Lindenwood soundly beating St Mary's and Penn State edging BYU. That's great for college rugby and likely a good sign for an overall uptick in talent and standards nationwide, but now USA Rugby seems to have re-seeded the field out of nowhere so that Lindenwood travels to Cal instead of Cal traveling to Life. WTF?

D1A self governs. Looks kind of weird, but all of the schools were good with it.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 24 Apr 2018, 16:50

I said they were good with it. And now, due to the uproar they're trying to be on the side of the social media uproar. Cal going so far as to say it's a USAR directive...the only school silent right now is PSU.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 24 Apr 2018, 16:56

TheStroBro wrote:I said they were good with it. And now, due to the uproar they're trying to be on the side of the social media uproar. Cal going so far as to say it's a USAR directive...the only school silent right now is PSU.

Good with it implies that they were OK with the decision. Clearly they aren't. You are right that this wasn't done to benefit Cal, at least.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 24 Apr 2018, 23:29

From Tony Ridnell on Facebook: Information Update on D1A College Semi Final Realignment:

I had the opportunity to speak to one of the D1A senior leadership today. He outlined for me what must be the vast majority of the issues facing the D1A entity, as well as this particular semi-final changing scenario. A very informative conversation.

This decision by D1A has NOTHING to do with anything 'on the field'. The re-seeding/venue is simply an outcome of the decision that will make the most sense for 'butts in seats', TV broadcast ratings and interest, and many things that the innocent by standing rugby fan should not know anything about other than to enjoy the games. It's about money, exposure, saving travel costs...

Having heard this first hand, it made tremendous sense and I 100% support this change up. I know now why this was not a consideration in the Rd of 16 and quarterfinals for teams like Army and Navy. The change has not been made because "LU upset St Mary's", nor is it because CAL has somehow provided pressure to play near home. There is no bad intent or conspiracy theory here, it's all a well intended, smart, pragmatic decision. A tough one, but a good one.

I believe that someone from D1A will get on a media platform in the near future and provide a detailed explanation to the rugby community about the decision, the reasons, and why it is a VERY GOOD outcome with ALL matters considered.

That said, this is yet another sad reflection of a lack of strategic direction coming from USA Rugby (of which D1A is a subset). The D1A people are doing everything they can to promote brand, create sponsor activation, media, etc.. Even they are held back by the lack of this direction. Talk of overarching Strategic Plan of the organization (By Law 5.1) is boring. And, necessary. Governance is critical.

Rugby in this country is moving at mach speed. The faster and further it moves, the more financial sustainability is required. Financial stability comes from planning at the top level. Thank-you for reading.

National Flag:

Postby The Captain's Run » Wed, 25 Apr 2018, 05:49

The decision to change the D1A match-ups is a little questionable but the response has been a little over the top. This shouldn't even be the biggest controversy in college rugby this week. Iowa Central getting shafted by the CRC for being a community college (with no public explanation of why that's a disqualifying factor) after winning a qualifying tournament is much worse.

Lindenwood has had some run-ins with USA Rugby before over player eligibility and discipline. I'm sure that some of their supporters are convinced that USAR is out to get them in any way possible. How the idea of a conspiracy spread beyond that is a little baffling to me.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby cardiffrcm » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 05:57

The final will be the same; Life v Lindenwood.

I think Lindenwood will win comfortably at Cal

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 15:22

Will Chang is retiring from the USAR Board

https://www.usarugby.org/2018/04/will-c ... gby-board/

Too bad he wasn't kicked out!

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 19:01

Tobar wrote:Yeah I want to keep Pro14 the fuck out of here. We’re American. We do things American ways. We have an American league now. Don’t try coming in here to just profit off our hard work.

:lol:

Getting a bit ahead of yourself there? Lets wait and see if the league is able to sustain itself first. ;)

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 21:29

dropkick wrote:
Tobar wrote:Yeah I want to keep Pro14 the fuck out of here. We’re American. We do things American ways. We have an American league now. Don’t try coming in here to just profit off our hard work.

Getting a bit ahead of yourself there? Lets wait and see if the league is able to sustain itself first. ;)

Well we already know that PRO14 isn't sustainable so...

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 23:03

TheStroBro wrote:
dropkick wrote:

You need to look up the definition of sustainable. The pro14 is growing every year and supplies 3 of the Champions cup 1/4 finalists, 6 nations winners etc.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 23:13

dropkick wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
dropkick wrote:

You need to look up the definition of sustainable. The pro14 is growing every year and supplies 3 of the Champions cup 1/4 finalists, 6 nations winners etc.

Isn't the Pro 14 propped up by the revenue made from Internationals and doing poorly outside 3/4 of Ireland. And is it really such a tragedy that us North Americans don't want your league to touch our shores.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum