Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: USA Rugby

Postby Squiddle » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 03:47

Other than Ireland and Maori All Blacks, do we have any other fixtures in place for the November Internationals ?

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 04:31

None yet that I’m aware of. Hell I’d be okay with only 2 (but obviously want more). Ireland and Maori are two great challenges for us. I could see us playing against someone like Georgia or Romania too.

National Flag:

Postby Squiddle » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 04:59

Tobar wrote:None yet that I’m aware of. Hell I’d be okay with only 2 (but obviously want more). Ireland and Maori are two great challenges for us. I could see us playing against someone like Georgia or Romania too.

Same here ! I thought I read somewhere that we might head to Romania as well but I could be mistaken.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 05:37

Book your tickets to London! USA V. Tonga at the Stoop, ABs V. England, Women Eagles V. Red Roses at the stoop.

National Flag:

Postby Squiddle » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 06:02

TheStroBro wrote:Book your tickets to London! USA V. Tonga at the Stoop, ABs V. England, Women Eagles V. Red Roses at the stoop.

Very nice ! I would love to see the Eagles match up more with the Pacific Island teams going forward. Any word yet on if we will be participating in the World Pacific Rugby Championship next season like we have in years past ? I also enjoy the podcast you guys put on each week as well ! Keep up the great work !

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 06:11

TheStroBro wrote:Book your tickets to London! USA V. Tonga at the Stoop, ABs V. England, Women Eagles V. Red Roses at the stoop.

Tonga and Maori should be on the Eagles hit list to win and a good showing against Ireland be the goal. Do that and they would have had arguably their best ever year as a Test squad. Assuming the beat Canada this weekend.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 15:54

We're also supposed to play Romania in November...but something may have gotten in the way of that.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 16:47

TheStroBro wrote:We're also supposed to play Romania in November...but something may have gotten in the way of that.

That might still be on, I doubt we will have only one test in November. Rumor was Japan and USA touring Romania with a third side to be announced. This last side was maybe replaced by Portugal.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 18 Jun 2018, 17:09

amz wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:We're also supposed to play Romania in November...but something may have gotten in the way of that.

That might still be on, I doubt we will have only one test in November. Rumor was Japan and USA touring Romania with a third side to be announced. This last side was maybe replaced by Portugal.

Well I hope it happens...would like our tours to get legit rather than face another year of stupidity.

ETA: Post Match presser https://youtu.be/Dsr9-AMBDTY

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 02:00

If it happens, playing Maori, Ireland and Romania would be one hell of a November tour for us.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 02:02

How was the general impact of the victory against Scotland? The general sports media has published about it? Were the highlights seen on sports TVs news?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby Squiddle » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 02:51

victorsra wrote:How was the general impact of the victory against Scotland? The general sports media has published about it? Were the highlights seen on sports TVs news?

Unfortunately not as much as I would like to see. The Houston Chronicle had an article about it in the local paper but the best write up that I’ve read so far was from The Guardian’s Martin Pengelly.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... ssion=true

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 03:59

Media surrounding the game from non-rugby or local sources has been pretty nonexistent. It's a shame, it was a thrilling game to watch regardless of the implications and had everything an American fan would love - big dudes running through each other and a last minute missed kick attempt to lose the game.

Martin is a great guy and writes on US rugby mostly as a passion project. He's a weekend editor for the Guardian and usually tweets about rugby, Trump and Roger Moore. He's been great for introducing non Americans to USA Rugby.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 05:30

Rugby Wrap up is trying to get a "Blaine Scully Cup" game v Cardiff going which would be kinda cool, and again a good test for maybe a fringe team. But the logistics these days of foreign national teams playing UK clubs in their season make it difficult. Also Gold may not want to play another non-cap November game and prefer tests only given they are already playing Maori ABs.

National Flag:

Postby MLB3BB2 » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 09:26

As for the Scotland match, I think what amazed me the most was how the Eagles, for the most part, went toe-to-toe with Scotland in the scrum. Four years ago the Eagles scrum led to penalties against us, yellow cards, and penalty tries. If we can scrummage well, we can challenge all the teams in our RWC2019 pool... doesn't mean we'll win, but it will help us win.

And how about Paul Mullen! From seemingly nowhere on the Eagles' radar to apparently first choice tighthead! What a find! Starting to develop some much-needed depth in the front row in general.

National Flag:

Postby MLB3BB2 » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 09:33

Are all of those on the same date? If so that would be Nov 10th, since that's when the England-NZ match is scheduled. I'll be in England at the time so I'll have to go! Interesting to play a RWC2019 pool opponent, but it's a year out so better sooner than later.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 09:45

Traditionally the Women's Game is after the Men's game and pick up the crowd leaving Twickenham. Sometimes they have had double headers at Twickenham for internationals.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 14:43

MLB3BB2 wrote:

Are all of those on the same date? If so that would be Nov 10th, since that's when the England-NZ match is scheduled. I'll be in England at the time so I'll have to go! Interesting to play a RWC2019 pool opponent, but it's a year out so better sooner than later.

Well the US are playing against Maori on November 3rd and against Ireland on November 24th so there's a 2 week gap where the US can play.

On this topic, don't know how I missed that Stro said we're playing Tonga. This is great, all 3 of our November tests are against top competition and a great test prior to the RWC. Plus, Tonga is in our pool next year so this would be extremely helpful. Everything's looking up Milhouse!

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 17:22

MLB3BB2 wrote:

No, no.

Friday-USAvTonga
Saturday-ENGvNZ
Sunday-USAvENG [women]

We're also supposed to play Romania the week after.

Postby 4N » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 21:16

TheStroBro wrote:Joey Iosefa is getting capped in June. Signed and sealed.

Stro what happened here.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 21:23

Probably waiting for Canada where there's less pressure. Other than that, maybe he got some interest from NFL teams. He was playing in the Spring League apparently.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 22:06

4N wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:Joey Iosefa is getting capped in June. Signed and sealed.

Stro what happened here.

Obviously way too bold of a prediction :oops:

Unless something happens I think we'll only have two caps on this tour. So far we got Mullen. I think Toluta'u will be the next, not sure Quill will be fit but he did make the flight to Halifax. Gary is all about consistency. If you don't meet certain standards you're not pulled in.

Tobar said below that Iosefa played spring league, well there isn't a Spring league yet. But he was called into Panthers mini-camp on their first bye week.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 19 Jun 2018, 23:10

Oh yeah that’s what I meant, I knew it was an invitation somewhere. I thought the Spring League already happened though.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Wed, 20 Jun 2018, 01:05

Yeah Manziel was in it a while back before signing with the Ticats. It was just two games or so somewhere in Texas.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:

Postby The Captain's Run » Wed, 20 Jun 2018, 04:01

The Spring League made a post about Iosefa training with the Panthers, doesn't mention if he played with them in 2017 or 2018. They held a short season in Austin that was over before he made his first appearance in Houston.

I know it's been said elsewhere that the Eagles roster was pretty much set early in the MLR season. Iosefa was never going to be considered while playing rugby in Hawaii (out of sight, out of mind) and I don't think he featured enough for the Sabercats to change anyone's mind. But what we have seen was pretty awesome and hopefully he shows enough in the next year to get a spot in the wider training pool for the upcoming RWC.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum