Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: USA Rugby

Postby MLB3BB2 » Mon, 25 Jun 2018, 17:43

Re: The Eagles match vs Ireland in November, I'd be surprised if Ireland field their best team. For one, they'll be coming off three matches vs Tier 1 teams, including the ABs the week prior; also, it's just before a pair of key European Champions Cup matches. Since they pair up the 1st and 2nd seeds on back-to-back weekends in December, Leinster will be facing Wasps twice and they'll want some fresh players for those matches. As a former Leinster coach, I expect Joe Schmidt to work with them on that. But even if it's Joey Carbery or Ross Byrne at 10 instead of Sexton, I still expect Ireland to win it. However, it should be a good contest and will be great to see how far the Eagles have come. The APC should be a good warm-up for the MLR-based players, before the players based abroad join in for the November tests.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 01:33

At least it might mean the US have the best Irish flyhalf on the pitch!

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 02:11

MLB3BB2 wrote:Re: The Eagles match vs Ireland in November, I'd be surprised if Ireland field their best team. For one, they'll be coming off three matches vs Tier 1 teams, including the ABs the week prior; also, it's just before a pair of key European Champions Cup matches. Since they pair up the 1st and 2nd seeds on back-to-back weekends in December, Leinster will be facing Wasps twice and they'll want some fresh players for those matches. As a former Leinster coach, I expect Joe Schmidt to work with them on that. But even if it's Joey Carbery or Ross Byrne at 10 instead of Sexton, I still expect Ireland to win it. However, it should be a good contest and will be great to see how far the Eagles have come. The APC should be a good warm-up for the MLR-based players, before the players based abroad join in for the November tests.

Yeah IRE will have at least some fringe guys in for that game. trouble is as we saw last year with the 2nd string IRE team in the US and Japan that they were pretty hot themselves. And as I said, it will be the final game of the tour and year for the US. Those games are always hard mentally when you're tired. Players can have one eye on the plane home. And make no mistake by the time the whistle blows for the end of the game in Dublin it will have been quite a long year for many of the US players who started playing in the ARC way back at the start of the year. NZ fans often consider the last game of the year up in Europe a banana peel for ABs. Even in Buenos Aires coming home a couple of times from Europe we almost came a cropper in the early 2000s! Just as well the US guys aren't playing the RC as well! :lol: In all seriousness I hope the players get some really decent rest time in July and August, and through to September for the domestic guys.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 02:12

btw has anyone had an update on how Mikey Teo is doing?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 07:59

WalesOnline are reporting that Samu Manoa is singing for Cardiff Blues. Probably good news for the US national side if true as the Blues have been very willing to let Scully play for the US.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 08:21

Figaro wrote:WalesOnline are reporting that Samu Manoa is singing for Cardiff Blues

I love this typo. :lol:
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 08:25

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Figaro wrote:WalesOnline are reporting that Samu Manoa is singing for Cardiff Blues

I love this typo. :lol:

:lol:
Well it is Wales. You do what you can to fit in. :thumbup:

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 21:59

Any info on Mitchel MacCartney? I find it bizarre to see a young American player signing with a second-tier Spanish club considering how MLR is buzzing:
http://rugbyspain.com/2018/07/primer-fi ... accartney/

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 22:52

Never heard of him before. Is he good?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 22:56

No clue, that's why I'm asking :D

National Flag: