Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: USA Rugby

Postby Suiram » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 19:23

TheStroBro wrote:
MikeN wrote:Please excuse my ignorance and laziness at not looking it up myself but are any of the USA 7s side likely to play in the RWC?

Those guys? None of them have played Club XVs in years. Madison Hughes being parachuted into XVs camp under Mitch was horrible. Fish out of Water. Malon Al Jiboori left 7s Residency so he could play for the Raptors and work himself into the XVs squad. but geeze we've got wealth in the backrow.

Hughes, Iosefo, and Leuta got parachuted into the squad. I'd say Leuta was the only one that looked half way capable out on the wing.

Most of the 7s squad would project to back row or wing which are both positions where the Eagles have plenty of depth these days. The current set up seems to work. Guys spend a couple years doing 7s and decide whether to continue down that path or focus back on 15s.

On Harley Wheeler, he could have potential long term. He is bigger than his Life counterpart, Harley Davidson, but is similarly a contact-loving wing with great vision. Not sure about his kicking but definitely someone to keep an eye on. Watch the MCAA match to see what he can do against senior competition.

On the scrumhalves, agree with the general assessment that Davies may make way for De Haas sooner rather tahn later, while Boyer could eventually supplant Davies at #2 in the next RWC cycle. Still think Yungert will keep his name in contention, more likely for off-year ARC's, especially if his game management improves during his time in MLR. He is the same age as Boyer. At this point, Augspurger seems most likely to be playing wing or utility sub with so many options available.

Another name I havent heard recently, but had been very buzzy a year or two ago was Keanu Andrade at Cal. I thought I heard he was playing very well there, but assume we will all have to wait 4 years for him to finish at Cal before we see him outside of Cal matches.

National Flag:
Vatican StateVatican State

Postby MikeN » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 19:49

MikeN wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
MikeN wrote:Please excuse my ignorance and laziness at not looking it up myself but are any of the USA 7s side likely to play in the RWC?

Those guys? None of them have played Club XVs in years. Madison Hughes being parachuted into XVs camp under Mitch was horrible. Fish out of Water. Malon Al Jiboori left 7s Residency so he could play for the Raptors and work himself into the XVs squad. but geeze we've got wealth in the backrow.

Thanks for your answers guys.

And further on these 7s guys, are they able to make a comfortable living off just playing 7s or are they doing other stuff off-season?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 20:14

Suiram wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Hughes, Iosefo, and Leuta got parachuted into the squad. I'd say Leuta was the only one that looked half way capable out on the wing.

Most of the 7s squad would project to back row or wing which are both positions where the Eagles have plenty of depth these days. The current set up seems to work. Guys spend a couple years doing 7s and decide whether to continue down that path or focus back on 15s.

On Harley Wheeler, he could have potential long term. He is bigger than his Life counterpart, Harley Davidson, but is similarly a contact-loving wing with great vision. Not sure about his kicking but definitely someone to keep an eye on. Watch the MCAA match to see what he can do against senior competition.

On the scrumhalves, agree with the general assessment that Davies may make way for De Haas sooner rather tahn later, while Boyer could eventually supplant Davies at #2 in the next RWC cycle. Still think Yungert will keep his name in contention, more likely for off-year ARC's, especially if his game management improves during his time in MLR. He is the same age as Boyer. At this point, Augspurger seems most likely to be playing wing or utility sub with so many options available.

Another name I havent heard recently, but had been very buzzy a year or two ago was Keanu Andrade at Cal. I thought I heard he was playing very well there, but assume we will all have to wait 4 years for him to finish at Cal before we see him outside of Cal matches.

Holden Yungert is quite en forme, I have no idea why he hasn't been given a shot. Maybe it's the civil war bear look...I mean Psalm Wooching cut his hair and then he got capped.

MikeN wrote:
And further on these 7s guys, are they able to make a comfortable living off just playing 7s or are they doing other stuff off-season?

Not really. They get help with housing or live in the Dormitory at the training center...however their wages are small. Our union is not like England or NZ.

National Flag:
Vatican StateVatican State

Postby MikeN » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 20:29

Which makes their success even more remarkable. How do they get by then? Have they got part time jobs or sideline things going on?

Postby 4N » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 20:41

A few of them have lucrative sponsorships.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 22:11

MikeN wrote:Which makes their success even more remarkable. How do they get by then? Have they got part time jobs or sideline things going on?

Carlin Isles is both a Nike and Red Bull Athlete. He's making some decent money. Madison Hughes is an ambassador or whatever you call it for Penn Mutual so that's a good check. But not sure of many others.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 07 Feb 2019, 14:05

Yes I take sports TV ratings frmo Showbuzz Daily.

NBCSN aired Scotland-Italy at 12:30 Eastern and Ireland-England at 2:30.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/ ... february-1

National Flag:

Postby MLB3BB2 » Wed, 13 Mar 2019, 19:24

Anyone know when/where the USA and Canada U20s will face off to determine who gets to go to this year's U20 Trophy? At least I assume that's the process. And will it be a single match or two matches with total points determining who goes to the tournament? Thanks.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 13 Mar 2019, 19:43

The qualification for the 2018 Trophy was last June but it is being pushed up by 1.5 months for this year so my guess is May.

Here's the ARN article I'm getting this info from - https://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/ ... y-in-2019/.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 13 Mar 2019, 21:02

MLB3BB2 wrote:Anyone know when/where the USA and Canada U20s will face off to determine who gets to go to this year's U20 Trophy? At least I assume that's the process. And will it be a single match or two matches with total points determining who goes to the tournament? Thanks.

It's been two matches in one week, Tuesday and a Saturday. Hopefully Canada turns it into an event like they did two years ago because it was definitely not an event in Houston last year. Heck they almost didn't have fields.

Postby 4N » Fri, 22 Mar 2019, 21:11

Tony Ridnell putting the boot into FloRugby. :thumbup:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tonyridnell/ ... 6449765377

Postby 4N » Sat, 27 Apr 2019, 11:39

Detroit Lions drafted former rugby HSAA Jahlani Tavai:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LionsPR/stat ... 9839565827

National Flag:

Postby Deadtigers » Mon, 06 May 2019, 22:18

Hey anyone got a torrent for the college final between Life and Cal?

National Flag:

Postby Deadtigers » Mon, 06 May 2019, 22:24

To be fair to Flo, they are doing what they can with a useless product courtesy of Melville.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 07 May 2019, 17:30

Deadtigers wrote:To be fair to Flo, they are doing what they can with a useless product courtesy of Melville.

Considering the fact that half the games they stream don't even work I have to disagree with that sentiment.

Postby 4N » Tue, 07 May 2019, 17:34

Wrestling and track people hate Flo’s coverage too.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 07 May 2019, 18:13

Deadtigers wrote:To be fair to Flo, they are doing what they can with a useless product courtesy of Melville.

They own the rights to so many products that they won't produce, then when they produce them they are to a substandard level...sorry, for that price it is shit.

National Flag:

Postby Suiram » Thu, 09 May 2019, 17:58

Unfortunately it wasnt that well advertised (since probably USA Rugby had to focus on advertising Flo) but it was one CBS Sports Network as well live. Which probably would have been easier to find a stream of overseas.

Postby 4N » Sat, 11 May 2019, 17:06

Lamositele has to leave the game for Saracens with an ankle injury - hopefully not serious.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Tue, 04 Jun 2019, 18:18

Any word on what the American U20s are looking like this year? I know a couple of the kids in the Canada line up tonight and if my club didn’t have a Prems game I’d be watching the full U20s game instead.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 13 Jun 2019, 02:52

Preliminary 50-Man Training Squad for the World Cup: https://www.usarugby.org/2019/06/usa-me ... 8dv0FYOUcM

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 14 Jun 2019, 15:08

TheStroBro wrote:Preliminary 50-Man Training Squad for the World Cup: https://www.usarugby.org/2019/06/usa-me ... 8dv0FYOUcM

Funny how the top comment on this page is discussing the potential of 7s players in the RWC...

Postby 4N » Tue, 18 Jun 2019, 20:39

Samu Manoa retires from international rugby. What a player. Wish him well in his future endeavors.

https://www.usarugby.org/2019/06/mens-e ... nal-rugby/

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Fri, 21 Jun 2019, 09:03

MLR may be taking off, but player numbers are steadily declining in the US and nobody seems quite sure why:

Arkansas (25%), Alabama (27%), Alaska (38%), Colorado (27%), Idaho (38%), Indiana (30%), Kansas (24%), Massachusetts (22%), Maryland (25%), Maine (23%), Michigan (22%), Minnesota (30%), Montana (26%), Nebraska (34%), New Jersey (30%), New Mexico (42%) and Wyoming (58%).

Colorado, where USA Rugby has long been headquartered, is down a staggering 43-percent from 2017. California, considered the nation’s hotbed for the sport, is even down 10-percent this year. Rising cost is a potential catalyst, as Rugby Colorado, for example, has raised its dues four times in five years. Combined with USA Rugby’s 2017 dues raise, Colorado high school participants now have to pay 66-percent more than they did in 2014.

Story here: https://www.rugbytoday.com/elite/truth- ... l2HgM8je3U

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 21 Jun 2019, 22:25

Because Clubs are shit at providing value. We have a major retention problem throughout the sport. When new players find the sport, they end up in mostly old boys clubs where playing time isn't about actually participating and earning it in practice but just by being around 5-10 years. Most of the guys that find rugby when they're 24-25 usually spent time in a high performance system as an athlete in high school or college where they got a lot of coaching. My first club was as I described, it was horrible. The guys would more often meet up for beer than they would for practice. Very few Senior clubs recruit the local college scene, if they did club rugby would actually get better.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum