Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: USA Rugby

Postby Thomas » Wed, 17 Jul 2019, 14:50

CLIFF NOTES: THE WHAT, WHY AND HOW OF USA RUGBY'S PARTICIPATION PROBLEM

https://www.rugbytoday.com/columns/cliff-notes-what-why-and-how-usa-rugbys-participation-problem?fbclid=IwAR3XLdBkerB_YbPbpjaV2MgheakoHapiTKqvrFq7N8XLdNMN4jnCzEHAUdU

What do people make of this article? Published a few days ago. how close it is to what is happening on the ground in the USA?

Postby 4N » Wed, 14 Aug 2019, 14:31

Roman Salanoa gets Leinster Academy contract

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/academy-pl ... d=RS890020

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Wed, 14 Aug 2019, 15:17

please dont get poached please dont get poached please dont get poached please dont get poached please dont get poached

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 14 Aug 2019, 15:29

Tobar wrote:please dont get poached please dont get poached please dont get poached please dont get poached please dont get poached

That's bad news for the US. He won't play for the USA for the time being there. Afaik Leinster only gives those contracts to players who haven't played for another country and continue to do so. I heard that was a problem with Germany's Sebastian Fromm and he couldn't get a contract, when he decided to play for Germany. If this is true, time to sue them under EU law (won't help Americans though).

When did he move there? Still under the 3-year-rule?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 15 Aug 2019, 01:48

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Tobar wrote:please dont get poached please dont get poached please dont get poached please dont get poached please dont get poached

That's bad news for the US. He won't play for the USA for the time being there. Afaik Leinster only gives those contracts to players who haven't played for another country and continue to do so. I heard that was a problem with Germany's Sebastian Fromm and he couldn't get a contract, when he decided to play for Germany. If this is true, time to sue them under EU law (won't help Americans though).

When did he move there? Still under the 3-year-rule?

He's probably Irish qualified now. Been in the sub-academy awhile.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Thu, 15 Aug 2019, 06:59

Apparently he struggles at amateur club level. There's a bit of head scratching as to why he's there.

Postby 4N » Thu, 15 Aug 2019, 17:29

NBC is charging $230 for the World Cup in the US. Crooks. :thumbdown:

I would recommend getting a VPN, setting it to the UK and watching ITV. Worked last time.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 16 Aug 2019, 00:31

$200 for just the Rugby World Cup, that's $4.16/game. Not bad.

The All Access pass is $230 and you get:
$229.99 gets you:
48 World Cup Games
132 Premiership Games
Select Champions Cup Pool Games
Champions Cup Knockout Rounds (7 Games)
Challenge Cup Semi-Final and Final (3 Games)
6 Nations Tournament (15 games)
18 Stops on the HSBC 7s Series

Which is basically a dollar per fixture, once you get all of the Champions Cup pool games in there it's under a dollar.

What they haven't said is that 25 matches will be broadcast live or on Same Day Delay via NBC and NBCSN, why they haven't done the marketing on that I don't know. However, it's actually pretty cheap.

Postby 4N » Fri, 16 Aug 2019, 11:57

I bet they would have sold more than twice the subscriptions at half the price. All I am seeing is people saying they usually pay for streams but won’t fork out 200 bucks out of principle. They are primarily gouging older people who don’t know of any alternatives like streaming sites or a VPN.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 17 Aug 2019, 02:23

4N wrote:I bet they would have sold more than twice the subscriptions at half the price. All I am seeing is people saying they usually pay for streams but won’t fork out 200 bucks out of principle. They are primarily gouging older people who don’t know of any alternatives like streaming sites or a VPN.

The price is the exact same from 2015.

Postby 4N » Sat, 17 Aug 2019, 02:46

$200 is a joke man. A year of RugbyPass costs less.

If anyone needs VPN access and can’t afford it DM me and you can use mine during the tournament. I should have a few more devices that can be added to my account. :thumbup:

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 17 Aug 2019, 05:47

Considering RugbyPass just got purchased by Sky...I doubt it's gonna work. Why waste money on Rugby Pass when 25/48 games will be broadcast via a linear network. Set your DVR.

Postby 4N » Sat, 17 Aug 2019, 07:31

I don’t have a RP account I was just using the price as a comparison. As I said above the ITV site works with a VPN (and is free).

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 17 Aug 2019, 09:13

And is also illegal I'm sure. That does matter to some people.

netflix is $10.99 a month, i.e. $130 a year. RWC for $200 is out of proportion, all that rugby for $230 is better but still a lot, especially as the RWC games will be before breakfast and too late to stay up for a lot of the matches.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Sat, 17 Aug 2019, 12:22

sk 88 wrote:And is also illegal I'm sure. That does matter to some people.

netflix is $10.99 a month, i.e. $130 a year. RWC for $200 is out of proportion, all that rugby for $230 is better but still a lot, especially as the RWC games will be before breakfast and too late to stay up for a lot of the matches.

I find that if people could afford it they would pay for it. That applies to 99% of people. So overal I don't think illegally streaming is any great loss to companies who hold the rights to what you're looking at.

In fact it helps keep the sport popular. If sport was kept behind a paywall then its bad for that sport in the long run. Look at cricket and F1 racing or rugby union in Australia.

So yeah, I'm saying that illegally streaming games isn't technically legal but there's little harm done.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 17 Aug 2019, 17:51

That's not a direct comparison. Live sports are some of the most valuable commodities out there. The Mayweather-Pacquiao card cost me $100. The Mayweather-McGregor card cost the same as that. So when you compare it that, this is cheap. However, as I said. 25/48 matches are being broadcast linear.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 17 Aug 2019, 22:06

dropkick wrote:

I find that if people could afford it they would pay for it. That applies to 99% of people. So overal I don't think illegally streaming is any great loss to companies who hold the rights to what you're looking at.

In fact it helps keep the sport popular. If sport was kept behind a paywall then its bad for that sport in the long run. Look at cricket and F1 racing or rugby union in Australia.

So yeah, I'm saying that illegally streaming games isn't technically legal but there's little harm done.

That wasn't really my point, more that some people will not stream something using a VPN because it is illegal. So they have the choice of paying (tbf most people could afford the year long package with the games, they just don't see the value) or not seeing it.

I agree most stream users are happy to pay a reasonable price for a legal stream and there is little detriment to the rights holders.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 18 Aug 2019, 20:25

sk 88 wrote:
dropkick wrote:

That wasn't really my point, more that some people will not stream something using a VPN because it is illegal. So they have the choice of paying (tbf most people could afford the year long package with the games, they just don't see the value) or not seeing it.

I agree most stream users are happy to pay a reasonable price for a legal stream and there is little detriment to the rights holders.

When I look at the value that NBC is providing to the American market here. It's significant overall. They're the only ones making the major investment. Was ESPN in the rights negotiations to get a piece? Unsure. They definitely will be if we ever host the World Cup because you're going to want as many open windows as possible. Is the value the same? In theory, for what you're paying NBC provides less value than ESPN does. But ESPN has let multiple test rights lapse and those have been snagged by FLO of all companies. NBC has made more investment into the space by picking up the Champions Cup rights previously held by ESPN in 2017, FLO had some of those rights in 2018. Along with the 2019 realignment of the 7s Series, ESPN has not picked up the rights. NBC has added all 18 stops, so the women's stops as well, something that ESPN had not broadcasted at all.

Sometimes, to grow rugby, you have to take your money and use it.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 04 Sep 2019, 01:59

When USA's RWC squad will be released?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 04 Sep 2019, 04:47

Sunday supposedly.

National Flag:

Postby MLB3BB2 » Wed, 04 Sep 2019, 08:37

Any thoughts on what the USA roster make-up should be? Personally, I think I'd go with 18 forwards & 13 backs (with the squads announced so far fairly evenly split 18/13 vs 17/14). We're up against some strong scrummaging teams so I'd go for a full 3 front rows to provide cover for possible injuries as well as to keep players fresh, and I think we finally have enough depth to be able to do that. As for backs, having a fullback who can cover as 3rd flyhalf in Will Hooley and a wing that can cover as 3rd scrumhalf (if not the 2nd) in Nate Augspurger means we can afford to go thinner in the backs.

Frankly, I want to target the Tonga match for a win so I want the best squad on the field for that match. So even in Civetta won't be fit in time to face England and/or France, I'd bring him along if he should be able to play in the last two matches (maybe off the bench vs Argentina and start vs Tonga). As for props, I think I'd put Titi at TH since we may not have enough depth there otherwise, with Mullen and Ryan as the other THs; LH should be well covered by Wenglewski, Ainuu and Fry, and I assume the hookers will be Big Joe, Hilterbrand and Fawsitt. (But if it ends up that both Mullen and Ryan are fresh enough to cover TH vs Tonga, I'd be tempted to start Titi at LH for that match along with Big Joe and Mullen to have a massive yet pretty mobile front row.)

I think the locks will be Civetta (if healthy enough), Peterson, Landry, and Brakeley. Five for the back row are Quill, Lamborn, Dolan, Hanco, and Jamason.

Scrumhalf and flyhalf are pretty clear with Davies and de Haas as the former along with AJ and Magie as the latter. Centers should mainly be Lasike, Campbell, and Brache (who could also play on the wing). As for the last six for the back line and providing cover elsewhere, I think I'd go with Augspurger (wing/SH), Hooley (FB/FH), Iosefo (wing/center), Moore (wing/center), of course Scully (wing/FB), and finally either Hughes or Te'o (wing/FB), depending on who has better form/fitness.

I think that totals 31!
Last edited by MLB3BB2 on Thu, 05 Sep 2019, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:

Postby MLB3BB2 » Sun, 08 Sep 2019, 19:06

Well, my predictions for the Eagles squad were a bit off. With only 5 props in the final squad, is Kilifi expected to provide cover at LH and TH? And who will cover at 8 if Dolan sits out a match?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 08 Sep 2019, 20:36

Hughes was never going to be on this roster and if he was I was gonna have issues with it.

Kilifi over his career has played more tighthead than loosehead. But Ainuu and Fry could also flex over if needed. Lamborn, Germishuys, and Al Jiboori can play No 8.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 09 Sep 2019, 07:04

is there any list of US squad available? I find news was released but no roster

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 09 Sep 2019, 13:24

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum