Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: USA Rugby

Unread postby Higgik » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 20:52

Duke of Earl wrote:He does seem a bit of a charlatan and the figures he is talking about seem fanciful to say the least.
Would think that the model MLR is currently doing with steady growth is the best approach for the sport in the country. Hopefully the Raptors players will be picked up elsewhere in the organisation and with the proposed draft seems the MLR is moving the right direction

Totally agree, MLR is doing the right thing slow growth mainly American players with a few marquee players to up the standard and provide development opportunities. Look at how the MLS grew when they realised that the focus should be on local players supported by a few well picked overseas players. Players like Beckham who raised the profile. Bastereud, and Nonu can do that as well.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 21:16

Honestly what would rugby in USA is the RWC. Either hosting it or the Eagles performing well on it. And for that to happen soon MLR approach is indeed the right way, but no ilusion, nobody knows who Bastareaud or Nonu are. They are big names only for rugby fans.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 11 Apr 2020, 02:46

victorsra wrote:Honestly what would rugby in USA is the RWC. Either hosting it or the Eagles performing well on it. And for that to happen soon MLR approach is indeed the right way, but no ilusion, nobody knows who Bastareaud or Nonu are. They are big names only for rugby fans.

I actually think rugby players are less universally famous now than they were 20 years ago. In England at least. Ask your average English non-sports fan to name 2 rugby players and they'll probably say Jonah Lomu and Jonny Wilkinson, maybe Gavin Henson. Maybe Chabal.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Sat, 11 Apr 2020, 17:38

In Brazil the most famous rugby player is Louis Picamoles because when read in Brazilian Portuguese his name means soft dick. He made ESPN Brasil journalists laugh endlessly and the video went viral :lol:

Lomu, Chester Williams and François Pienaar (only because of the movie Invictus) are the only others with some fame outside rugby fans.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Unread postby Tobar » Sat, 11 Apr 2020, 18:22

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
sk 88 wrote:Good luck to him I say. Rugby needs innovation and needs to be better at tolerance and keeping people inside the tent. If he wants to burn a pile of cash then let him. Either he succeeds and we have a new top league (a good thing), or he fails and nothing has changed (no bad thing). What NFL and its competitors have shown is that competition improves the game.

I do think he is right in part that people aren't idiots and aren't going to buy inferior product (i.e. not top leagues) in serious numbers. Making that jump takes a lot of money and belief. While building foundations first is totally right at some point you need to make that jump to make it big.

Japan will soon have a major league in my opinion. MLAR and SLAR need to become major leagues over the next few years. I think GRR will also eventually become a major league, or some teams will join an Australia - New Zealand league, whilst others will remain in an Asia-Pacific development league. South Africa could have its own major league if it wants to but prefers to play in international leagues.

It’s not much of an opinion, there are official plans to have a fully professional league. It has a couple of hiccups but otherwise all plans are a go.

National Flag:

Unread postby Tobar » Sat, 11 Apr 2020, 18:26

victorsra wrote:In Brazil the most famous rugby player is Louis Picamoles because when read in Brazilian Portuguese his name means soft dick. He made ESPN Brasil journalists laugh endlessly and the video went viral :lol:

Lomu, Chester Williams and François Pienaar (only because of the movie Invictus) are the only others with some fame outside rugby fans.

Hah, that’s hilarious.

I know someone who’s last name is Petitto. My Colombian in laws were visiting and we went to a baseball game and saw him. He was wearing a custom jersey with his name on it and when he walked away my in laws started cracking up because Petitto is slang for small dick.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Sat, 11 Apr 2020, 21:26

The 2019 Japanese first row also made people laugh because of Shota Horie and Ji-Won Koo. "Shota" sounds exactly like the word for vagina and "koo" exactly like the word for ass. :lol: But Picamoles is still the king here.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Unread postby vino_93 » Sat, 11 Apr 2020, 22:44

In France, there is too Laurent Labit, who is a famous coach now but was a good player before. Labit has the same pronunciation as la bite, which means "the dick". That was a pleasure for commentators !

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Unread postby victorsra » Thu, 23 Apr 2020, 19:59

Is Wiki right? The 2021 U20 Championship will be realy in USA? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rug ... ampionship

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Unread postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 23 Apr 2020, 20:10

We have already seen in the past guys making up hosts for U20 tournaments on Wikipedia...

National Flag:

Unread postby TheStroBro » Thu, 23 Apr 2020, 22:19

victorsra wrote:Is Wiki right? The 2021 U20 Championship will be realy in USA? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rug ... ampionship

Not that we are aware...

Unread postby 4N » Thu, 14 May 2020, 16:59

Sounds like Roman Salanoa is going to try to represent Ireland. Tough for the US to lose a promising prop since we have very little depth at that position but I understand his decision. He has better earning potential and career opportunities over there.

https://www.the42.ie/roman-salanoa-muns ... 9-May2020/

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 14 May 2020, 18:05

4N wrote:Sounds like Roman Salanoa is going to try to represent Ireland. Tough for the US to lose a promising prop since we have very little depth at that position but I understand his decision. He has better earning potential and career opportunities over there.

Oh, so Roman Salanoa is Irish now.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Unread postby sk 88 » Fri, 15 May 2020, 10:29

4N wrote:Sounds like Roman Salanoa is going to try to represent Ireland. Tough for the US to lose a promising prop since we have very little depth at that position but I understand his decision. He has better earning potential and career opportunities over there.

But remember guys its bastard French clubs that prevent guys representing T2 nations.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Higgik » Sat, 16 May 2020, 09:13

Chester-Donnelly wrote:

Oh, so Roman Salanoa is Irish now.

And this is just the sort of thing that needs to be stopped.
One thing would be a global calendar, so there is less conflict between the club and international games

National Flag:

Unread postby TheStroBro » Sun, 17 May 2020, 01:34

French Clubs allow their players to represent their countries. Irish clubs poach guys, Salanoa wasn't some random kid found on the Island. He was a US U20.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Unread postby Chester-Donnelly » Sun, 17 May 2020, 01:58

TheStroBro wrote:French Clubs allow their players to represent their countries. Irish clubs poach guys, Salanoa wasn't some random kid found on the Island. He was a US U20.

This is really frustrating. A rugby player from a tier 3 country moving to a tier 1 or 2 country in order to have an international career is completely understandable and something I support, e.g. Africans playing for South Africa or France, but an American rugby player should not be moving to Ireland to play for Ireland. USA has ambitions of following Japan to tier 1 status. If he wants to play at a higher level of club rugby then playing in Ireland is a good option. But for international rugby he is American and should be playing for USA in my opinion.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum