France
11%

Total votes : 71
National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Re: 2023 Rugby World Cup Host

Postby Sables4EVA » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 16:43

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Sables4EVA wrote:I am pretty certain Rugby Africa voted for France. The North Africans once again stabbing the rest of the continent in the back.

To be fair, they just happen to be on the same continent but have 3-5 thousand years of history together with Europe and especially to France. Why should North Africans vote for a country they have nothing in common with and which does nothing for them. I mean they have no advantage whatsoever in it being in South Africa, but will gain a lot of momentum if a RWC leads to more kids with North African roots take up rugby in France.

That's not the point, why should less than 10% of the countries on a continent have the say in where our vote goes. They are there to represent all of African rugby not just their own interests. Bougja's reign as President has always com under scrutiny come election time and somehow he always seems to stay in power, vote rigging and buying have been bandied about, he needs to just go. The Southern unions have lately been talking of separating themselves from Rugby Africa because their interests are disregarded or ignored.

South Africa does a lot for rugby in the continent and for them to be stabbed in the back is not only a travesty but it is ludicrous.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby gambass » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 17:10

Sables4EVA wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
Sables4EVA wrote:I am pretty certain Rugby Africa voted for France. The North Africans once again stabbing the rest of the continent in the back.

To be fair, they just happen to be on the same continent but have 3-5 thousand years of history together with Europe and especially to France. Why should North Africans vote for a country they have nothing in common with and which does nothing for them. I mean they have no advantage whatsoever in it being in South Africa, but will gain a lot of momentum if a RWC leads to more kids with North African roots take up rugby in France.

That's not the point, why should less than 10% of the countries on a continent have the say in where our vote goes. They are there to represent all of African rugby not just their own interests. Bougja's reign as President has always com under scrutiny come election time and somehow he always seems to stay in power, vote rigging and buying have been bandied about, he needs to just go. The Southern unions have lately been talking of separating themselves from Rugby Africa because their interests are disregarded or ignored.

South Africa does a lot for rugby in the continent and for them to be stabbed in the back is not only a travesty but it is ludicrous.

The executive comitteehad a a vote after an hour presentation from each country which utimatly determined Africa two votes. It was not only about northen Africa.

From l'Equipe today.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 17:36

Rugby Afrique president expressed disappointment for the missed assignment to South Africa
Something doesn't match :?:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/931210192976596992

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby gambass » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 19:17

Maybe, he was supporting SA on a personnal level, but was obliged by the vote of his board.

Maybe, he's full of shit also.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 19:34

sk 88 wrote:I saw on planet rugby someone say that Oceania split their vote with one to Ireland

Seems to me that no one really knows and is doing what I was and making it up!

Both Georgia and Romania voted France, I don't know why RE would split between SA and IRE. Unless they wanted to have a vote in a winning bid no matter who won :lol: I think Rugby Europe votes are the least dubious.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 19:55

4N wrote:
Ireland's eight votes were sourced from their friends at the English RFU and in North America and one of Rugby Europe's two. Support elsewhere was not forthcoming.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/ ... 24915.html

Regarding SA I don't see a link posted yet but it will all come out eventually.

If that is true I expect Ireland to leave the U18 Shame Nations tournament and go back to the European championship. Ig they don't whoever was resonponsible to give them even a single vote from t2 should resign with immediate effect. Time to stop ass-kissing when it counts.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 20:00

But, the votes' report that we are seeing on the web is an official report or is it just an hypothesis?

The votes were secret or open light?

If they were secret, we are debating more or less about nothing :)

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 16 Nov 2017, 20:40

Morariu has French citizenship, he leaved, played and coached there. It is hard to believed that he can vote against France or his board vote different when almost all European countries has strong ties with French rugby.Max they vote 1 for France and 1 for Ireland.

National Flag:
SwedenSweden

Postby AXLstockholm » Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 00:46

France is the only nation backing, or at the very least making an effort, the Tier 2 nations. Who cares whether the votes were dubious.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 08:27

Interesting link from SA

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SouthAfr ... a-20171116

shows were the voting went..

and from the telegraph: Questions about France lobbying :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... e-bernard/

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 08:39

Canalina wrote:But, the votes' report that we are seeing on the web is an official report or is it just an hypothesis?

The votes were secret or open light?

If they were secret, we are debating more or less about nothing :)

Votes were secret, its all just hypothesis but I like it!

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 08:47

Has anyone seen Gus Pichot closing speech?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owxsy5ACC0M

worth a look..

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 14:51

RugbyLiebe wrote:
4N wrote:
Ireland's eight votes were sourced from their friends at the English RFU and in North America and one of Rugby Europe's two. Support elsewhere was not forthcoming.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/ ... 24915.html

Regarding SA I don't see a link posted yet but it will all come out eventually.

If that is true I expect Ireland to leave the U18 Shame Nations tournament and go back to the European championship. Ig they don't whoever was resonponsible to give them even a single vote from t2 should resign with immediate effect. Time to stop ass-kissing when it counts.

Ha ha you might get your wish. Lets just say I don't think the IRFU will be too eager to go along with the wishes of our celtic neighbours whenever things like this come up again. :lol:

And congrats to France. I'm sure it'll be a good world cup. People complain about lobbying etc but every country does that and its impossibly to stamp out.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 20 Nov 2017, 19:27

Rugby Afrique president: "South Africa is a godfather for african rugby, but also France is a godfather for african rugby. The votes are secret, so we can't comment any rumor".

https://rugbyafrica.africa-newsroom.com ... 23?lang=en

To say the truth, visiting the websites/social media of the minor african federations you have the feeling that several of them have deep ties with France (french officials, french coaches, rugby stuff coming from France, local players playing in France...) while very few (Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana?) show evident ties with South Africa

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 21 Nov 2017, 00:20

Well, Namíbia and Zimbabwe have ties with South Africa, right?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Tue, 21 Nov 2017, 06:40

Yes, as do Madagascar, Uganda and Kenya. The majority of Sub Saharan Africa owes a lot to SA for trying to spread the game, especially lately.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 21 Nov 2017, 06:50

I have doubts about Madagascar, they have many ties with France.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 21 Nov 2017, 12:03

Neptune can tell better, but South Africa opened space for the Simbas XV in Vodacom Cup recently, I guess Kenyans would support SA.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Wed, 22 Nov 2017, 06:14

Uganda and Madagascar have benefitted from coaches being sent on secondment from SARU. Expect the same to happen in Zimbabwe.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 22 Nov 2017, 07:20

Sables4EVA wrote:Uganda and Madagascar have benefitted from coaches being sent on secondment from SARU. Expect the same to happen in Zimbabwe.

From my point of view Madagascar is very french including rugby here. Otherwise i wish Zimbabwe rugby to be again a force to reckon.Somehow i always liked this team, maybe because one of my first rugby memories where from a match Farul Constanta (my city) against Zimbabwe (it should be in '89 or '90).

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Fri, 24 Nov 2017, 08:33

Bogdan_DC wrote:
Sables4EVA wrote:Uganda and Madagascar have benefitted from coaches being sent on secondment from SARU. Expect the same to happen in Zimbabwe.

From my point of view Madagascar is very french including rugby here. Otherwise i wish Zimbabwe rugby to be again a force to reckon.Somehow i always liked this team, maybe because one of my first rugby memories where from a match Farul Constanta (my city) against Zimbabwe (it should be in '89 or '90).

There has always been a link between Romania and Zimbabwe, we were always the 2 teams on the fringes in the 80s and before. We had our best game in the world cup against each other in 1987 and we have got a lot of similarities in our rugby history.

I look forward to when we are touring each other again.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Fri, 24 Nov 2017, 08:47

Sables4EVA wrote:[We had our best game in the world cup against each other in 1987.

It was a hell of a game. My godfather (Gheorghe Dumitru) played in that game and my first rugby trainer (Adrian Pllotschi). Also, now i am helping a small junior side and one of the trainers played in that game(Romeo Bezuscu).

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum