Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby gibbs » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 10:06

Hinato wrote:
YamahaKiwi wrote:
rey200 wrote:The path to irrelevance in my opinion.
The way they are going. Quite possible! But then what Asian country outside of the top 3 has come up in the last decade? None! Not even one union in Asia has shown consistent progress and growth. Despite the crap happening in Europe, this is the region I'm most worried about.

La Malaisie est la nation montante en Asie. Et ils ont pour eux tout les points positifs:
- championnat pro ou franchise en IPRC à venir
- un futur stade national dédié au rugby qui va voir le jour
- des mécènes qui financent le rugby depuis peu
- une sélection en grand progrès (des joueurs pros au Japon + une forte colonie fidjienne) et qui se préparent depuis 6 mois pour l'ARC 2018.

Pour le reste je suis d'accord, en dehors du Japon et Hong Kong, on ne voit rien. La guerre interne dans la fédération sud-coréenne tue la Corée du sud qui devrait être la 2ème nation (et largement) en Asie avec un joli potentiel de joueurs pros au Japon (sud-coréens de naissance et japonais d'origine coréenne) mais qui est sous-exploité, peu utilisé sans parler de la faible et courte préparation de cette sélection.

Derrière c'est le désert. Chine, pas avant 20 ans sans parler de l'Inde où ça n'arrivera jamais, faut pas rêver.

Sorry but you take the Fijians who happen to be half of the Malaysian squad out, Even Singapore or Thailand could beat them.. Again brings us back to the matter of the games development in Asia.. It's not and will not be sustainable for long

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby Hinato » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 10:14

gibbs wrote:
Hinato wrote:
YamahaKiwi wrote:
rey200 wrote:The path to irrelevance in my opinion.
The way they are going. Quite possible! But then what Asian country outside of the top 3 has come up in the last decade? None! Not even one union in Asia has shown consistent progress and growth. Despite the crap happening in Europe, this is the region I'm most worried about.

La Malaisie est la nation montante en Asie. Et ils ont pour eux tout les points positifs:
- championnat pro ou franchise en IPRC à venir
- un futur stade national dédié au rugby qui va voir le jour
- des mécènes qui financent le rugby depuis peu
- une sélection en grand progrès (des joueurs pros au Japon + une forte colonie fidjienne) et qui se préparent depuis 6 mois pour l'ARC 2018.

Pour le reste je suis d'accord, en dehors du Japon et Hong Kong, on ne voit rien. La guerre interne dans la fédération sud-coréenne tue la Corée du sud qui devrait être la 2ème nation (et largement) en Asie avec un joli potentiel de joueurs pros au Japon (sud-coréens de naissance et japonais d'origine coréenne) mais qui est sous-exploité, peu utilisé sans parler de la faible et courte préparation de cette sélection.

Derrière c'est le désert. Chine, pas avant 20 ans sans parler de l'Inde où ça n'arrivera jamais, faut pas rêver.

Sorry but you take the Fijians who happen to be half of the Malaysian squad out, Even Singapore or Thailand could beat them.. Again brings us back to the matter of the games development in Asia.. It's not and will not be sustainable for long

Renseignez-vous pour commencer. Ils ne représentent que 5 joueurs dans le XV de départ, 6 au total sur la feuille de matchs des 23 joueurs. La sélection a eu droit à une préparation professionnelle de 6 mois pour préparer l'Asia Rugby Championship quand le Sri Lanka est amateur au possible. Les sri lankais feraient bien de s'inspirer des malaisiens. Ces derniers vont devenir une nation montante du rugby en Asie quand le Sri Lanka va rester dans son état voir régresser, se félicitant de résultats moyens à 7 sur la scène asiatique.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 10:53

Hinato wrote:...
La guerre interne dans la fédération sud-coréenne tue la Corée du sud qui devrait être la 2ème nation (et largement) en Asie avec un joli potentiel de joueurs pros au Japon (sud-coréens de naissance et japonais d'origine coréenne) mais qui est sous-exploité, peu utilisé sans parler de la faible et courte préparation de cette sélection.

In the 2017 Report published by World Rugby, South Korea is said to have just 1180 registered players (all included, I suppose: men and women, senior and junior). Is this true? It is surprising if we consider the passion they have for the Universities rugby duels, with several thousands of spectators on the stadium.

PS: on a side note, how many rugby federations are messed up by "internal war"? :?

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 10:55

quick translation:

Learn to start. They represent only 5 players in the starting XV, 6 total on the sheet of games of 23 players. The selection got a professional preparation of 6 months to prepare the Asia Rugby Championship when Sri Lanka's amateur is possible. The sri Lankans would do well to learn from Malaysians. The latter will become a rising Asia Rugby nation when Sri Lanka will stay in its state will regress, welcoming average results at 7's on the Asian scene

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 15:32

rey200 wrote:Yeah, I read this and thought: WTF. I always asked myself: why don't they ever host a home game? Because they don't care. The path to irrelevance in my opinion.

Maybe a reason is also the fact that the lankans seem more passionate to club rugby than to their national team. At least I had this feeling watching a few local matches. I've seen full and erupting stadiums (little stadiums) when there were the main matches of the local championships but I've never seen the same passion for the national team's games. They hosted a pair of tournaments with Poland, maybe Madagascar and an other team (I don't remember so good) few years ago

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 15:52

If it is true, 1180 is a pretty small number, smaller than countries like Paraguay, Peru and Venezuela.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 05 Apr 2018, 17:02

Canalina wrote:
rey200 wrote:Yeah, I read this and thought: WTF. I always asked myself: why don't they ever host a home game? Because they don't care. The path to irrelevance in my opinion.

Maybe a reason is also the fact that the lankans seem more passionate to club rugby than to their national team. At least I had this feeling watching a few local matches. I've seen full and erupting stadiums (little stadiums) when there were the main matches of the local championships but I've never seen the same passion for the national team's games. They hosted a pair of tournaments with Poland, maybe Madagascar and an other team (I don't remember so good) few years ago

It was the Serendib International Cup and you were right about the three participants. There wasn't a fourth. Madagascar won the Cup with Sri Lanka finishing 2nd and Poland 3rd. It would be cool to have more International tournaments like this and the Hong Kong Cup of Nations for the smaller upcoming countries to participate in.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 09 Apr 2018, 23:38

Canalina wrote:
victorsra wrote:Things changed in Asian Divisions:

Division I will have only 3 teams: Sri Lanka, Singapore and Philippines https://www.asiarugby.com/results/asia- ... iv-i-2018/

Division II will also have only 3 teams: Thailand, Taiwan and India https://www.asiarugby.com/results/asia- ... v-ii-2018/

Division III will have:
- East: Laos, Brunei and Guam https://www.asiarugby.com/results/asia- ... ii-e-2018/
- Center: Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Pakistan and Mongolia https://www.asiarugby.com/results/asia- ... ii-c-2018/
- West: Iran, Lebanon, Qatar and Jordan https://www.asiarugby.com/results/asia- ... ii-w-2018/

Still no China in Div III East... bizarre, because they need to start there and they should be able to win that...

Mongolia federation says the pool will be Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Kyrgyzstan (Казакстан, Пакистан, Киргизстан) and Mongolia, with Kaz-Mon and Pak-Kgz as semifinals.
Maybe is just a lapsus

Change confirmed by Asia Rugby calendar: Kyrgyzstan substitutes Uzbekistan.
And apparently China substitutes Laos
https://www.asiarugby.com/calendar-2018/

I don't know if it was already known but there are also dates (early september) and venue (Bucharest) of the JRWT

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 02:03

Division I is missing in calendar.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby antlat » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 03:57

2018 Asian Championship
28.04.2018 Malaysia vs South Korea Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
05.05.2018 Malaysia vs Hong Kong Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
12.05.2018 South Korea vs Hong Kong Incheon South Korea
19.05.2018 South Korea vs Malaysia Incheon South Korea
26.05.2018 Hong Kong vs Malaysia Hong Kong Hong Kong
02.06.2018 Hong Kong vs South Korea Hong Kong Hong Kong

2019 Rugby World Cup Repechage Qualifier
30.06.2018 Cook Islands vs Asian Championship Winner
07.07.2018 Asian Championship Winner vs Cook Islands
Tahiti expelled and replaced by Cook Islands

Asian Championship Division 1
24.06.2018 Philippines vs Singapore Manila Philippines
26.06.2018 Philippines vs Singapore Manila Philippines
United Arab Emirates and Sri Lanka withdrew

Asian Championship Division 2
20.05.2018 Thailand vs India Pattaya Thailand
23.05.2018 Chinese Taipei vs India Pattaya Thailand
26.05.2018 Thailand vs Chinese Taipei Pattaya Thailand
Originally Laos were part of this tournament but later changed to Division 3 East

Asian Championship Division 3 West
Semi Finals
24.04.2018 Iran vs Qatar Beirut Lebanon
24.04.2018 Lebanon vs Jordan Beirut Lebanon
Third Place Playoff
27.04.2018 Loser vs Loser Beirut Lebanon
Final
27.04.2018 Winner vs Winner Beirut Lebanon

Asian Championship Division 3 Central
Semi Finals
16.05.2018 Pakistan vs Kyrgyzstan Almaty Kazakhstan
16.05.2018 Kazakhstan vs Mongolia Almaty Kazakhstan
Third Place Playoff
19.05.2018 Loser vs Loser Almaty Kazakhstan
Final
19.05.2018 Winner vs Winner Almaty Kazakhstan
Uzbekistan withdrew and replaced by Kyrgyzstan

Asian Championship Division 3 East
08.05.2018 Brunei vs Guam Bandar Seri Bagawan Brunei
10.05.2018 Guam vs China Bandar Seri Bagawan Brunei
12.05.2018 Brunei vs China Bandar Seri Bagawan Brunei
Laos withdrew and replaced by China

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 06:17

A little, inaccurate statistic: % of nations competing in the continental championships

South America 14/16 = 87 %
Europe 41/52 = 79 %
Africa 30/56 = 53 %
North America 13/30 = 43 %
Asia 19/46 = 41 %
Oceania 7/25 = 28 %

total 124/225 = 54 %

* Europe: considering Israel, not considering Kosovo and Gibraltar
** South America: considering six nations of the isthmus, not considering Guyana, Guyane and Suriname
*** North America: plenty of little islands and dependent territories, 30 is an estimation rounded down
**** Oceania: considering the big five (Nz, Aus, Fij, Sam, Ton) plus Tahiti and Cook, the only two playing teams in the last cup
Last edited by Canalina on Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 23:15

Well done!

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 01:41

Oh but South American in 2018 is 14/16.

1st division: Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Colombia
2nd division: Peru, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Guatemala
3rd division: Panama, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras
Out: Ecuador and Bolivia (not counting Belize, as a former British colony)

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 06:42

victorsra wrote:Division I is missing in calendar.

While i still do not agree on SLR decision to pull out from the Asian Div 1, Here is a excerpt from an article from the CEO of SLR.. Some points to ponder

"SLR Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Priyantha Ekanayake, however explained that the 7s commitment is one of the reasons but that is just one of them in the list of qualms.

"There are only three countries involved in the Asian Division I Championship besides Sri Lanka with others being Singapore and hosts Philippines. But so far the organisers have failed to confirm the dates and venue of the competition, and the lack of a sponsor for the tournament is delaying the process," Ekanayake stated.

According to Ekanayake, SLR has firmly decided to forego the Asian Division I Championship after serious consideration on many facets.

"Philippines are not in a position to host the competition due to financial restrains, and they are looking at possibilities of moving the competition to Singapore, which is still undecided. With all these not helping Sri Lanka in anyway, the SLR decided to put its full effort on the 7s format, where there is medal prospect in one of the events," he added"

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/article/10417 ... ampionship

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 06:50

Thomas wrote:quick translation:

Learn to start. They represent only 5 players in the starting XV, 6 total on the sheet of games of 23 players. The selection got a professional preparation of 6 months to prepare the Asia Rugby Championship when Sri Lanka's amateur is possible. The sri Lankans would do well to learn from Malaysians. The latter will become a rising Asia Rugby nation when Sri Lanka will stay in its state will regress, welcoming average results at 7's on the Asian scene

Those 6 Fijians (Though the number uncorroborated have 11 Fijians in the squad) will be in the starting lineup, That's half of the team.. Most tier 1 fans do not realized the damage the prevailing eligibility rules of WR are doing to developing nations specially in regions like Asia, Where genetically natives tend to be smaller physically to their poly/Melanesian and European counterparts.. How long will Malaysia will be able to sustain so many foreign recruits in their teams.. Whats the impact it's going to have in their overall development at the grass root level

Malaysia has to field a fully Malaysian side sans it's Fiian recruits at the commonwealth games 7's in a few days time due to the CWG rules, Lets see their performance before judging the success of a "rising" Asian Rugby nation as Hinato puts it

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby Hinato » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 07:58

gibbs wrote:

Those 6 Fijians (Though the number uncorroborated have 11 Fijians in the squad) will be in the starting lineup, That's half of the team.. Most tier 1 fans do not realized the damage the prevailing eligibility rules of WR are doing to developing nations specially in regions like Asia, Where genetically natives tend to be smaller physically to their poly/Melanesian and European counterparts.. How long will Malaysia will be able to sustain so many foreign recruits in their teams.. Whats the impact it's going to have in their overall development at the grass root level

Malaysia has to field a fully Malaysian side sans it's Fiian recruits at the commonwealth games 7's in a few days time due to the CWG rules, Lets see their performance before judging the success of a "rising" Asian Rugby nation as Hinato puts it

De un ton chiffre est faux. De deux, au lieu de t'occuper des autres pays asiatiques, préoccupe toi plutôt de ton pays qui n'est même pas capable d'envoyer une sélection à XV pour l'Asia Rugby Championship 2018 Division 1.

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 08:20

Hinato wrote:
gibbs wrote:

De un ton chiffre est faux. De deux, au lieu de t'occuper des autres pays asiatiques, préoccupe toi plutôt de ton pays qui n'est même pas capable d'envoyer une sélection à XV pour l'Asia Rugby Championship 2018 Division 1.

Dude how Asian Rugby is run by a bunch of Brit expats in Hong Kong directly impacts the game in my country in that stage, Not only mine but those like Korea, Thailand, Iran and the likes thats actually trying to make an effort to establish and grow the game at grassroots level for the love of the game not for short term vanity gains.. So yeah i have every freaking right to comment on it

Again i said uncorroborated numbers of Fijians 6 or 11 so don't loose sleep over it, Lets see how much of an impact these foreign mercenary filled teams can make any headway in the game at large

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 11 Apr 2018, 10:58

I think Asian teams will have to accept some level of Polynesian players in order to compete. Japan showed that whilst diet, skills and fitness go a long way you still need bigger players to make inroads on the field. Unless you find the biggest people and somehow convince them to start playing rugby I don't know what other solution there is.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 13 Apr 2018, 17:31

Today afternoon... details of the match will be published shortly, Jordan Rugby promised

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 13 Apr 2018, 21:08

Jordan v Saudi Arabia 25-13, according to a tweet

The game has been described as a "friendly"; it was a warm-up for the incoming Asia div.III West, so certainly it was XV vs XV.
In the series (one match per year in the last three years) Jordan lead 2-1

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Fri, 13 Apr 2018, 23:07

Aren't Jordan pretty decent for that level? Impressive for KSA. Do the middle Eastern countries use mostly ex-pats or homegrown players?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 14 Apr 2018, 21:01

Jordan started to have a rugby national team just by two or few more years, I think; they should still be one of the weakest teams of Asia Championship.
I think they have a good percentage of autochthon players, though, while I vaguely remember that nations like Saudi Arabia are much more filled with expats

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 15 Apr 2018, 00:25

Jordan's national team is playing since 2010

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Tue, 24 Apr 2018, 12:36

Lebanon squad v Jordan
https://www.facebook.com/LebaneseRugbyUnion/

1. Tariq Al Khaldi
2. Rohhan Zebib
3. Louis Fayad
4. Ray Finan
5. Mounir Finan
6. Ibrahim Ballout
7. Camille Abou Farhat
8. Joseph Touma
9. Lawerance Abood
10. Karim Jammal
11. Martin Wehbe
12. Robin Hachache
13. Ray Asfour
14. Hazem Al Tawil
15. Ben Abood
16. Robbie Farjallah
17. Cyril Irani
18. Sol Mokdad
19. Omar Hout
20. Frank Fournier
21. Omar Hamaoui
22. Laurent Zalloum
23. Steve Pere

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 24 Apr 2018, 13:19

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:6. Ibrahim Ballout

Great rugger name. After every rugby and every scrum he looks around who called for him.

After the ref screamd "Ballout" I had a "Hachache" and "Irani" to met with my three brothers at "Zebib" to talk "Abood" "Asfour" :lol:
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum