Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 15:55

Hmm. Maybe they will leave it as it is now Japan get good tests in June and November. Or possibly start something like they had in South America where the regional winners got the chance to play Argentina.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 16:19

I like the former option. Hong Kong needs matches against Japan. Korea not sure, the difference is too big. For the rest is a waste of time.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 28 Jun 2018, 15:44

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 31 Jul 2018, 16:06

In the Asia Rugby calendar appeared a ARWCCL tournament, I think it's the second edition and it should mean something like Asia Rugby West Championship for Club. Three days of game

august 31: Kandy v Bahrain
september 7: Abu Dhabi Harlequins v Kandy
september 14: Bahrain v Harlequins (I think, even if the website says Bahrain v Kandy)

Supposedly this tournament was decided in the recent Asia Rugby EXCO in Astana; I haven't found other news emerged from the same meeting

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 31 Jul 2018, 18:04

Is this the Bahrain national side?

Postby 4N » Tue, 31 Jul 2018, 18:16

No. Bahrain RFC.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 03 Aug 2018, 16:15

It seems Iran withdrew from tomorrow's Asian 7s Trophy in Singapore. So there will be a more squared 12 teams instead of 13

The original map including Iran https://scontent-mxp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5C0DDDFC

The final list of teams (with line-ups) https://www.asiarugby.com/2018/08/03/as ... ns-trophy/

And the schedule https://www.asiarugby.com/results/asia- ... phey/2018/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 04 Aug 2018, 05:28

First round of games

Arab Emirates Nepal 48-0
Indonesia Jordan 19-7
Singapore Bangladesh 52-0
Pakistan Brunei 19-5
Thailand Uzbekistan 47-0
Kazakhstan Laos 22-7

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sat, 04 Aug 2018, 05:43

victorsra wrote:The issue is that: what about Japan in 2019? Will they return to the Top division? How is it supposed to be played, by 3 or 4 teams? Maybe Asia will have a new structure?

They will probably retain the same format as happened since the Sunwolves started in SR by still playing HKG and Korea but with a largely developmental team. What the other two really need to improve further are teams in the Top League that give their top players good games week in week out. While the JRFU constantly talk about the legacy of RWC2019, they haven't as yet been so nice enough as to offer spots in the TL to their two closest challengers in the region.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 04 Aug 2018, 10:27

Predictions respected in Singapore, the best teams are in Cup semifinals and the minnows in Bowl semis

Tomorrow
Bowl Semif. Bangladesh Laos
Bowl Semif. Brunei Nepal
Plate Semif. Pakistan Jordan
Plate Semif. Indonesia Uzbekistan
Cup Semif. UAE Thailand
Cup Semif. Singapore Kazakhstan

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 05 Aug 2018, 08:45

Asian 7s Trophy in Singapore, final victory for the Arab Emirates
Between the "rookies" Jordan and Bangladesh completed a good tournament winning two matches, while Nepal lost all the games.
I followed few minutes of the tournament and I saw first a Laos player slowly exiting from the field helped by the doctors and then an apparently bad injury for a Brunei's player, held on a litter with a cervical collar

National Flag:
Isle of ManIsle of Man

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sun, 05 Aug 2018, 09:00

Wonder if the UAE fielded any actual Emiratis?

Edit saw some details of the team and it looks if they did but

“The squad has been training since mid-June and we have a very strong squad. Five Fijians with three locals and British guys.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 01:21

How on earth there are more than a 100million rugby fans in Asia? http://www.sudamericarugby.org/2018/08/ ... -millones/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 06:08

victorsra wrote:How on earth there are more than a 100million rugby fans in Asia? http://www.sudamericarugby.org/2018/08/ ... -millones/

That's less than 3% of the total population in the region. It's not entirely impossible.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 06:22

Just for the sake of the numbers these are the very rough figures of what % of the regional population represented in those numbers.

Asia - 112.5m equals <3% of that total (4.463b).
South America - 38.2m <10% of total population(442.5m)
Africa - 32.7m <3% of total population(1.627b)
Europe - 96.1m around 12% of the total population(741.4m)
North/Central America - 52.8m <10% of the total population
Australasia - 5.5m when including Oceania is around 16% of the total population which would be about right(32m)

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 06:54

victorsra wrote:How on earth there are more than a 100million rugby fans in Asia? http://www.sudamericarugby.org/2018/08/ ... -millones/

Utter BS.. Most Asian Unions cant find 2 native players to represent the national teams, This after some have been playing the Game for nearly a century, Asian Rugby authorities just boasting hot air to remain prevalent

Places like Hong Kong, Philippines, UAE and now even Malaysia are exclusive foreign sides (lets keep Japan out of it atleast for their strong domestic structure) .. Asian Rugby is been promoted as an opportunity for Brit colonial left overs and Fiji and islander drop out's to represent national sides.. It's a farce

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 07:07

gibbs wrote:Utter BS.. Most Asian Unions cant find 2 native players to represent the national teams, This after some have been playing the Game for nearly a century, Asian Rugby authorities just boasting hot air to remain prevalent

I concur, that the numbers sound strange.
How many of the 20 million inhabitants of Sri Lankan are interested in rugby?

On the other hand it states that 15 million in Japan are interested, but 25 million actually watched the last world cup on tv (which I would call interested).
https://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/06/spor ... index.html

This alone makes the numbers not that far off.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 07:45

RugbyLiebe wrote:
gibbs wrote:Utter BS.. Most Asian Unions cant find 2 native players to represent the national teams, This after some have been playing the Game for nearly a century, Asian Rugby authorities just boasting hot air to remain prevalent

I concur, that the numbers sound strange.
How many of the 20 million inhabitants of Sri Lankan are interested in rugby?

On the other hand it states that 15 million in Japan are interested, but 25 million actually watched the last world cup on tv (which I would call interested).
https://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/06/spor ... index.html

This alone makes the numbers not that far off.

Cant say.. But It's the most popular domestic sport on the island, Cricket the most popular overall for obvious reasons..

The terminology of these numbers are vague, Just because sheer numbers Chinese and Indians because of their huge populations and access to mobile internet may have checked respective FB pages or pressed the like button or press "Interested" doesn't mean they following the game, Majority of them would not even known or seen the game before

It's skewed just as how Cricket is been mentioned as one of the most popular sports in the world because billions of fans it has basically in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh and their diaspora around the world, Not not much anywhere else in the world except for a handful of former British colonies

Ja[ans numbers picked up due to their success in the last world cup and the promotions going on there for the next, That 25 million may well be one off

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 08:53

gibbs wrote:Ja[ans numbers picked up due to their success in the last world cup and the promotions going on there for the next, That 25 million may well be one off

I doubt that it is a one-off with the next RWC being in Japan and then in way better time-schedules for Japan. We will find out who's right next year. I see the opener surpassing that number 8-)
But still, if I watch i.e. the German handball national team, I am interested in that sport. It might be just because your respective nation enjoys some success in that sport, but that doesn't make you uninterested afterwards.
But we agree, that some of the numbers look strange.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 11:29

RugbyLiebe wrote:
gibbs wrote:Ja[ans numbers picked up due to their success in the last world cup and the promotions going on there for the next, That 25 million may well be one off

I doubt that it is a one-off with the next RWC being in Japan and then in way better time-schedules for Japan. We will find out who's right next year. I see the opener surpassing that number 8-)
But still, if I watch i.e. the German handball national team, I am interested in that sport. It might be just because your respective nation enjoys some success in that sport, but that doesn't make you uninterested afterwards.
But we agree, that some of the numbers look strange.

What i meant was it may well be one off given they're hosting it as well.. But i would love to be proven wrong

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 13:27

Exactly. It is a matter of concept. They are using a vague idea of "being interested". If it were true that 3% of Asian liked and followed rugby local TVs were showing loads of rugby (because 3% is a huge number) and there would be several professional leagues profiting there. And national teams competitions wouldn't have teams withdrewing like India not playing the poor Asia Sevens Trophy or China being absent from Asia's XVs (the freaking 2 matches 4th division) for o many years because there would be enough people INTERESTED in what those teams are playing.

About cricket. If by popular you mean number of people that like it no matter the diversity of the nationalities you can't deny it's huge.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 22:56

victorsra wrote:Exactly. It is a matter of concept. They are using a vague idea of "being interested". If it were true that 3% of Asian liked and followed rugby local TVs were showing loads of rugby (because 3% is a huge number) and there would be several professional leagues profiting there. And national teams competitions wouldn't have teams withdrewing like India not playing the poor Asia Sevens Trophy or China being absent from Asia's XVs (the freaking 2 matches 4th division) for o many years because there would be enough people INTERESTED in what those teams are playing.

About cricket. If by popular you mean number of people that like it no matter the diversity of the nationalities you can't deny it's huge.

Not necessarily. Basketball is hugely popular in the region but struggles to establish viable leagues in Asia. Based largely to economics. Asia is a growing region but still relatively underdeveloped. I'm not trying to argue that I think these numbers are legitimate just that it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that these may not be hugely inflated.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 08 Aug 2018, 00:39

The same guys said there are 30 million people interested in rugby in Brazil = 1/7 of ou population. I would be surprised if 1/7 of the Brazilian KNOW what rugby is.

Those numbers are bizarre.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 08 Aug 2018, 00:48

victorsra wrote:The same guys said there are 30 million people interested in rugby in Brazil = 1/7 of ou population. I would be surprised if 1/7 of the Brazilian KNOW what rugby is.

Those numbers are bizarre.

Apparently those figures are derived from respondents that replied as either being 'very interested' or 'interested' in Rugby. According to what I've read it's a common metric used in these kind of surveys to determine fan base. While I'm sceptical on the merits of saying "Rugby has 300m+ fans worldwide" from this survey I think it could be argued that at the very least there's a growing level of interest in the game.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 08 Aug 2018, 00:59

Not here. I think club rugby in Brazil, the Yaras, Tupis Sevens and international rugby on TV are in the worst moment in the last 5 or 6 years. Only the Tupis XV are growing. Can they drive interest? Yes, but looks to have no impact in the game. I am sure other countries have experiences close to ours. As Asian posters suggest, rugby is not growing there that much apart from Japan.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum