Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

User avatar
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Wed, 10 Aug 2016, 18:32

Asia Rugby released an updated 2016 calendar and we have some changes in Asia Cup
The 3rd level pool East and pool South-East melted in a one only pool East with China, Indonesia, Brunei and Laos, to be played in Bangkok (!)
November 2: Indonesia v Laos, China v Brunei
November 5: 3rd place final and 1st place final

No more traces of Taiwan and no more traces of pool South-central with India, Pakistan and Kyrgyzstan :(
http://asiarugby.com/calendar-1

User avatar
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Thu, 11 Aug 2016, 06:19

Apparently just 19 out of 45 nations are going to play in this year Asia Rugby Championship, those marked in black in the list below (sorted by number of thousands of inhabitants)

Image

Posts: 294
Joined: Tue, 29 Apr 2014, 14:51
National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby gibbs » Thu, 11 Aug 2016, 07:49

Canalina wrote:Apparently just 19 out of 45 nations are going to play in this year Asia Rugby Championship, those marked in black in the list below (sorted by number of thousands of inhabitants)

Image


Hmmmm.. After all the brouhaha with Indian Rugby Union about the sponsorship deals and growth of the game, They are not even contesting the main Asian competition ? So much for the high drama.. Plus the president of IRFU is the Vice Prez of Asian Rugby

Whats up with Taiwan and Kazakh's :(

User avatar
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Thu, 11 Aug 2016, 10:08

gibbs wrote:Hmmmm.. After all the brouhaha with Indian Rugby Union about the sponsorship deals and growth of the game, They are not even contesting the main Asian competition ? So much for the high drama.. Plus the president of IRFU is the Vice Prez of Asian Rugby

According to a commentator, this video has been recorded in India. It would be surprising
https://www.facebook.com/PasionPorRugby ... 598737924/

Well, let's say, it would be surprising if they were kids freely playing rugby for fun. If instead it's "just" a group of kids inserted in the local team and training under the supervision of a coach (the cameraman) it would be less special

Posts: 1663
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby YamahaKiwi » Thu, 11 Aug 2016, 13:22

gibbs wrote:
Canalina wrote:Apparently just 19 out of 45 nations are going to play in this year Asia Rugby Championship, those marked in black in the list below (sorted by number of thousands of inhabitants)

Image


Hmmmm.. After all the brouhaha with Indian Rugby Union about the sponsorship deals and growth of the game, They are not even contesting the main Asian competition ? So much for the high drama.. Plus the president of IRFU is the Vice Prez of Asian Rugby

Whats up with Taiwan and Kazakh's :(


Yeah this is sad. especially when contrasted with how well japan have been doing. Asian rugby should be on the up and up. bloody continental federation incompetence!

User avatar
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 11:27

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby ihateblazers » Thu, 11 Aug 2016, 14:06

I wonder if the withdrawal of HSBC's sponsorship is having an affect.

Posts: 1663
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby YamahaKiwi » Thu, 11 Aug 2016, 14:10

Hugely but that's ARFU's fault again for not being good enough to grow better crowds and popularity. What sponsor, even if they like the sport they are sponsoring is going to stick around if they don't feel they're getting bang for their buck. heck if I was a multi-millionaire I wouldn't put my money into rugby sponsorship unless I had confidence the organisation I was dealing with was capable of growing the popularity of the sport and bringing my product/company to the attention of more people.

User avatar
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 11:27

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby ihateblazers » Thu, 11 Aug 2016, 14:31

It's a hard pickle. In terms of the interest for rugby Japan has always been a traditional rugby nation, whilst in Hong Kong the HKRFU relies on the 7's and the corporate sponsorship that brings for the majority of their funding as well as it's strategic location for networking with the British and ANZ. In most of the other Asian countries the sport is predominantly an expat sport, whilst there are efforts you get the sense that most of the Unions would rather just focus on social rugby. Compared to Europe or South America where the game has spread to the local populations far more.

I don't know how to grow the game there to be honest. From my knowledge South Korea, Sir Lanka, China, Singapore, Taiwan and Kazakhstan should be the priority markets to focus on.

Posts: 859
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 11 Aug 2016, 14:33

ihateblazers wrote:It's a hard pickle. In terms of the interest for rugby Japan has always been a traditional rugby nation, whilst in Hong Kong the HKRFU relies on the 7's and the corporate sponsorship that brings for the majority of their funding as well as it's strategic location for networking with the British and ANZ. In most of the other Asian countries the sport is predominantly an expat sport, whilst there are efforts you get the sense that most of the Unions would rather just focus on social rugby. Compared to Europe or South America where the game has spread to the local populations far more.

I don't know how to grow the game there to be honest. From my knowledge South Korea, Sir Lanka, China, Singapore, Taiwan and Kazakhstan should be the priority markets to focus on.


Well Ali Baba are set to pump a bunch of money into China. So hopefully that bares some fruit.

User avatar
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 11:27

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby ihateblazers » Thu, 11 Aug 2016, 15:22

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Well Ali Baba are set to pump a bunch of money into China. So hopefully that bares some fruit.


After the exposure of the 7's at the Rio Olympics i wouldn't be surprised to see some Fijians miraculously appear in the Chinese rugby ranks heading towards 2020 qualification! Seriously though they could recruit overseas players like the Japanese and Hong Kong Unions have, watch this space...

On a serious note though the biggest developments will have to come from grassroots and domestic competition to raise standards, at least as high as the Hong Kong domestic competitions which is not that difficult to attain be fair. Investing in high performance centres and coaches will just come down to money, which Alibaba and the centralised Chinese sports model won't struggle with if they are so inclined. Potentially they could surpass HK and Korea within 10 years in 7's.

User avatar
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Sun, 14 Aug 2016, 16:44

An India v Pakistan match re-appeared in the Asia Rugby calendar (or it was always there and I missed it when I looked some days ago). The match is TBC; it would be in Delhi in november and it would be the only game for the pool 3 centre of the Asian Championship

User avatar
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Mon, 15 Aug 2016, 07:56

A minor note about rugby history: according to Rugbyinternational, Iran's first test match was on august 18 2007 against Pakistan, but a post on Pakistan facebook says that it was on august 15 and against a Pakistan development team
http://www.rugbyinternational.net/countries/iran.htm
https://www.facebook.com/pakistan.rugby ... 6427370194

User avatar
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Tue, 16 Aug 2016, 15:33

Uzbek national XV championship

Fergana group
1 VVO (?) 13 points
2 Matonat ("courage") 11
3 Istiklol Fergana 6
4 UzKaram Andizhan 2

Tashkent group
1 Istiklol Yuzovo 14 points
2 Barkamol Boku 11
3 University 7
4 Chirchiq 3

In the incoming weekend there's the final stage in Tashkent, maybe with the four best teams

User avatar
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Thu, 18 Aug 2016, 23:24

Fourteen teams taking part in the afghan 7s championship, definitively not bad http://www.khaama.com/afghanistan-super ... wing-01708

User avatar
Posts: 1804
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby iul » Wed, 31 Aug 2016, 07:35

Article on Korean rugby in Kiwi media: http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.a ... main,narts (Rich Freeman dug this up and posted it on twitter)

Posts: 294
Joined: Tue, 29 Apr 2014, 14:51
National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby gibbs » Thu, 01 Sep 2016, 07:24

Image

Men

Pool A - Japan , South Korea , China, Singapore

Pool B - Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Chinese Taipei



Women

Pool A - Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Guam

Pool B - China, Thailand, Uzbekistan, Sri Lanka

User avatar
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Fri, 02 Sep 2016, 18:54

gibbs wrote:https://scontent-sit4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14080019_1451422524875348_2874113161524222801_n.jpg?oh=0caa2c62f5ef24460fc82b18bf2d1d27&oe=5839DDC4

Men
Pool A - Japan , South Korea , China, Singapore
Pool B - Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Chinese Taipei

Women
Pool A - Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Guam
Pool B - China, Thailand, Uzbekistan, Sri Lanka

China won all its pool matches, defeating Japan and South Korea!

Semifinals are
China v Sri Lanka
South Korea v Hong Kong

Women's semifinals
Japan v Thailand
Hong Kong v China

Posts: 294
Joined: Tue, 29 Apr 2014, 14:51
National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby gibbs » Sat, 03 Sep 2016, 07:06

Canalina wrote:
gibbs wrote:https://scontent-sit4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14080019_1451422524875348_2874113161524222801_n.jpg?oh=0caa2c62f5ef24460fc82b18bf2d1d27&oe=5839DDC4

Men
Pool A - Japan , South Korea , China, Singapore
Pool B - Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Chinese Taipei

Women
Pool A - Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Guam
Pool B - China, Thailand, Uzbekistan, Sri Lanka

China won all its pool matches, defeating Japan and South Korea!

Semifinals are
China v Sri Lanka
South Korea v Hong Kong

Women's semifinals
Japan v Thailand
Hong Kong v China


Men's Finals

Sri Lanka v Hong Kong

Btw Japan has send basically a team of Uni students, They are already a core team in the World series, This tournament winner will make the other team to qualify from Asia.. Two more legs to go in Seoul and Colombo

Posts: 294
Joined: Tue, 29 Apr 2014, 14:51
National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby gibbs » Sat, 03 Sep 2016, 08:28

Womens final winners Japan over China

Posts: 294
Joined: Tue, 29 Apr 2014, 14:51
National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby gibbs » Sat, 03 Sep 2016, 08:54

Hong Kong win the mens finals over Sri Lanka 22 - 17 with a last minute penalty drop goal

User avatar
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 11:27

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby ihateblazers » Sat, 03 Sep 2016, 12:08

Must be pretty worrying for Hong Kong. That was their full strength team

Posts: 294
Joined: Tue, 29 Apr 2014, 14:51
National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby gibbs » Sat, 03 Sep 2016, 12:57

ihateblazers wrote:Must be pretty worrying for Hong Kong. That was their full strength team


And an under strength Lankan team.. 6 of their regulars missing due to injuries, 4 will be back for the next two legs..

Junior Tusker teams U18's and U20's have been winning Asian 7's tournaments lately.. Hopefully that success will seep in to the senior side

User avatar
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Mon, 26 Sep 2016, 13:06

This friday the new Gulf Conference -to be considered, I think, the lower level of the Gulf tournaments- starts with two matches

First day
Doha v Muscat (k.o. 17.00 local)
Saudi Arabia Select v Kuwait (k.o. 17.00 local)

Could the second fixture be considered a test match? Probably not, but it's interesting anyway. Saudi Arabia has debuted this year in a full international test match, while I think that Kuwait never played one
The fifth team competing in the Conference is "Bahrain Select"

User avatar
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Wed, 28 Sep 2016, 22:26

Saudi Arabia Select v Kuwait

No test match, the Kuwait team is a club, the Kuwait Scorpions

But in the following weekend we will have Saudi Arabia Select v Bahrain Select, that could be a sort of test match. I will investigate!

User avatar
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Tue, 11 Oct 2016, 16:37

Also the "Bahrain Select" has now changed name in "Bahrain Firbolgs", with a shamrock as symbol. And the firbolgs, I read on google, were mythological irish giants. So also the possible semi-test match of this friday between Saudi Arabia and Bahrain will not be a test match, and the whole Gulf Conference is less interesting than the supposed because all the teams (apart, perhaps, Saudi Arabia) are expats dominated clubs

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Armchair Fan, fullbackace, kearnc25 and 9 guests