Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Wed, 08 Aug 2018, 12:22

from Kazakhstan federation facebook

The KFR informs you that on July 26-30, 2018, the annual meeting of the Asia Rugby Council took place in Astana.
Representatives of more than 40 countries and Asian federations came to our capital.
...many questions and proposals were put on the agenda. In particular, this meeting discussed the development of rugby in the Asia-Pacific region, introduced innovations in the form of voting, the adoption of certain federations as full members.
The KFR plans to hold the largest international competitions in Kazakhstan in the future.

No details, though

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 10 Aug 2018, 07:17

Asian U20 7s, in Hong Kong

A 26-14 victory by Sri Lanka over China between the first results

https://www.macoocoo.com/index.php?r=gr ... s&tid=1410

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 10 Aug 2018, 19:07

15,000 boys and girls hailed the World Cup in Bubaneshwar. I don't know how all those young people gathered, if by passione or somehow forced, but the image is amazing

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 11 Aug 2018, 06:57

U20 Asian 7s championship: so far China lost all the matches with the boys and won all the matches with the girls.
I don't know where this difference comes from, if it's because they give more importance to the women game or maybe because the other countries give more importance to the men's game.
In the next two matches China women play the last pool match before the final against Hong Kong, and China men play the 7th place final against Malaysia.
Unfortunately Sri Lanka lost with Korea in the men's semifinal; I hoped they won the tournament but the final will be Hong Kong v Korea

Live https://www.facebook.com/asia.rugby/vid ... 149194308/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 15 Aug 2018, 05:34

Mongolia's XV championship starts today with six teams involved. Mongolia has 3 millions of inhabitants and the capitol Ulan Bator (I suspect that all the teams are from the capitol city) has 1.2 millions inhabitants, so six clubs is not bad.
Alongside the men's competition there's also a women's 10s championship with four clubs.

Schedule

Week 1 / August 25, 2018 /
Baseball field
12:00 Pioneer Cholons РК - Irves РК
14:00 Blue Spotted Warriors RK - Anguins Lions RK
16:00 Khan-Uhr RK - Giants Zoo РК

Week 2 / Sept. 1, 2018 /
Baseball field
12:00 Khan-Uhr РК - Snow Leopard РК
14:00 Pioneer Wives RK - Tigers Lions RK
16:00 Blue Spotted Warriors RK - Giants Zoe RK

Week 3 (September 8, 2018)
Baseball field
12:00 Angry Lions RK - Giants Zoe РК
14:00 Blue Spotted Warriors RK - Snow Leopard RK
16:00 Khan-Uhr RK - Pioneer wives RK

Week 4 (September 15, 2018)
Baseball field
12:00 Blue Dragon Warriors RK - Khan-Uul RK
14:00 Pioneer Wolves РК - Giants Zoe РК
16:00 Angry Lions РК - Irves ROC

Week 5 (September 22, 2018)
Baseball field
12:00 Giants Honey РК - Leopardes РК
14:00 Khan-Uul RK-Dynasty Lions RK
16:00 Pioneer Wolves РК - Blue Trotter Warriors RK

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 15 Aug 2018, 13:11

Maybe the one missing in the photo is from another city?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 15 Aug 2018, 15:46

Or from Ulan Bator but very shy : )

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Wed, 15 Aug 2018, 21:26

Who fancies Hong Kong winning the repechage berth?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 15 Aug 2018, 21:37

Tomster7uk wrote:Who fancies Hong Kong winning the repechage berth?

At the start of the cycle I would have said never, but then again given Canada's 2015 showing and where Germany was a few years ago I would have said that those two would have been nowhere near the repechage (in differing directions). They are the highest ranked side in the repechage, but I think that a lack of high quality opposition will have them nowhere near their best.

Ultimately Kenya and Germany are both big wild cards at this point, but from Germany's and HK's results v Russia I put them on a similar level, and Canada should have just enough to squeak by, but then again Canada has a far worse record v Russia recently than Germany and HK do...

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Wed, 15 Aug 2018, 21:45

Do remember that the Canada team that played against Russia had none of its main players.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 15 Aug 2018, 22:06

qwerty wrote:Do remember that the Canada team that played against Russia had none of its main players.

I count 8 players who started in both the Russia and Scotland games, and 18 players appeared in both squads. It was a relatively strong Canada team that just got destroyed. Add on top of that the fact that Hassler won't be there in November, and I think that Canada need to be seriously worrying. They're still favourites, but not by much.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Wed, 15 Aug 2018, 22:15

Blurandski wrote:
qwerty wrote:Do remember that the Canada team that played against Russia had none of its main players.

I count 8 players who started in both the Russia and Scotland games, and 18 players appeared in both squads. It was a relatively strong Canada team that just got destroyed. Add on top of that the fact that Hassler won't be there in November, and I think that Canada need to be seriously worrying. They're still favourites, but not by much.

It was a weak Canadian squad bud. Even the team that played Scotland was missing guys for a variety of reasons and our June tests were used to test out new players ahead of the Repechage and see who puts their hand up. You’re right though that it’s going to be a super tough challenge for Canada to get through three hungry countries nipping at their heels while we’re on a downward trend. If they all show up to represent I wouldn’t be surprised to see Germany coming out on top.

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 07:54

Canalina wrote:15,000 boys and girls hailed the World Cup in Bubaneshwar. I don't know how all those young people gathered, if by passione or somehow forced, but the image is amazing

Not to sound like Debbie Downer, But India is nation of 1.4 billion people, You show them anything shiny they will gather in their thousands to peek at it without an issue.. Does'nt necessarily mean most of them even know what they're looking at.. The only reason they got to host the cup is because the current president of Asian Rugby is Indian and for some reason World Rugby think they can tap in to that huge market

This is footage of the opening of the first IKEA store in India recently.. I bet 5% of this crowd actually bought anything and it's not like the store was going anywhere any soon

National Flag:
IsraelIsrael

Postby ZUKER » Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 10:42

Seriously!? :lol: :lol: :lol: Who were missed except DTC van der Merve?

Postby Raven » Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 11:01

Tomster7uk wrote:Who fancies Hong Kong winning the repechage berth?

I think they would be the team that would struggle the most in the RWC if they were to come out victorious of the Repechage. Because of their style of play and their individual player skills. Having said this, there has been significant and consistent work done over there (at least seeing it from the outside and judging by some of their results) and the other Repechage teams don´t seem to have a massive difference with them either.
If they keep building through the same way, both on and off the field, perhaps in 4 years it wouldn´t surprise me as much as it would now to see them contending for a RWC spot.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 14:18

ZUKER wrote:

Tyler Ardron, Brett Beukeboom, Matt Beukeboom, Matt Tierney, Kyle Baillie, Taylor Paris, Dan Moor, Conor Trainor, Ciaran Hearn, Matt Evans then dual code guys like Admir Cejvanovic, Connor Braid and Andrew Coe.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 14:25

Buffalo wrote:
ZUKER wrote:

Tyler Ardron, Brett Beukeboom, Matt Beukeboom, Matt Tierney, Kyle Baillie, Taylor Paris, Dan Moor, Conor Trainor, Ciaran Hearn, Matt Evans then dual code guys like Admir Cejvanovic, Connor Braid and Andrew Coe.

The question is more like, who was missing from the guys that are available to play in the repechage. Not a theoretical best XVs.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 16 Aug 2018, 14:36

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Buffalo wrote:
ZUKER wrote:

The question is more like, who was missing from the guys that are available to play in the repechage. Not a theoretical best XVs.

Barring injury most of those guys should be available for the repechage. Ardron was injured in June and Jones decided to give the listed Euro based guys June off to rest up and recover as they’d had tough injury filled seasons. Cejvanovic, Braid and Coe are question marks as November is right before the 7WS kickoff but with the new Rugby Canada rules, they and the rest of the 7s guys could be in contention as well. As stupid as that may be.

But we should move the Canadian conversation to at least the Repechage threads and get this one back on track for Asian rugby.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 30 Aug 2018, 09:45

Asian Games, first results

CHN 40-7 THA
HKG 64-5 PAK
MAL 17-10 TWN
JAP 92-0 INA
SLK 68-0 UAE
KOR 42-5 AFG

Is that 92-0 a world record for a 7s game? I don't remember other scores breaking the 90 barrier, not even in the clubs tournament

A notable result: UAE v Afghanistan 0-36
https://en.asiangames2018.id/sport/rugb ... rum407c03/
The Slaimankhel brothers all started on the field but they scored just two of the six afghan tries

EDIT: no, according to a 2012 World Rugby article the New Zealand's highest score was 93-0 in a 1998 Commonwealth Games match against the Bahamas. And we don't even know if this is the world record

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 30 Aug 2018, 18:48

Tomorrow at 16.00 local (12.30 CET, 10.30 UTC) the first round of West Asia Clubs Championship, Kandy v Bahrain RFC, will be live on The Papare

http://www.thepapare.com/live-kandy-sc- ... ns-league/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby antlat » Fri, 31 Aug 2018, 02:06

1997 Rugby World Cup Qualifier

23.11.1996 Fiji defeated Zambia 101 - 0 Dubai, United Arab Emirates

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 31 Aug 2018, 09:56

antlat wrote:1997 Rugby World Cup Qualifier

Thank you Antlat. The only time the one-hundred-barrier was broken in sevens, I suppose.

Do you remember also some 0-0? I can't recall anyone, but probably they happened in some tournament

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Fri, 31 Aug 2018, 11:25

Canalina wrote:
antlat wrote:1997 Rugby World Cup Qualifier

Thank you Antlat. The only time the one-hundred-barrier was broken in sevens, I suppose.

Do you remember also some 0-0? I can't recall anyone, but probably they happened in some tournament

From what I can find three matches involving international teams. None in the World Series.

2002 Euro 7s Lithuania 0-0 Ukraine, 2011 Euro 7s Italy 0-0 Romania, 2013 Asian 7s series Taiwan 0-0 Philippines

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Fri, 31 Aug 2018, 11:33

Asian Games Men's quarter finals

Japan v Taiwan
Sri Lanka v China
Korea v Malaysia
Hong Kong v Thailand

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 31 Aug 2018, 11:42

Canalina wrote:Tomorrow at 16.00 local (12.30 CET, 10.30 UTC) the first round of West Asia Clubs Championship, Kandy v Bahrain RFC, will be live on The Papare

http://www.thepapare.com/live-kandy-sc- ... ns-league/

I watched some minutes of the game and it seemed that the (expats') Bahrein scrum was crushing the Kandy's one. If Sri Lanka can't emerge in the world panorama maybe is mostly a physical strong-ness matter
Score was 3-14 at the beginning of the second half

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum