Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

User avatar
Posts: 2202
Joined: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:00
Location: United Federation of Planets

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Fri, 31 Aug 2018, 14:10

Asian Games 1/4 finals reuslts

Japan 43-0 Taiwan
Sri Lanka 17-12 China
Korea 40-5 Malaysia
Hong Kong 52-0 Thailand

1/2 finals

Japan v Sri Lanka
HK v S Korea

User avatar
Posts: 4365
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 06:18

After having defeated twice Arab Emirates (36-0, 50-0), Afghanistan won also against Pakistan, 15-7, in a placement match. They will battle with host Indonesia for the 9th place

Matches are currently suspended; I suppose due to the rain

https://en.asiangames2018.id/schedule-results/

User avatar
Posts: 2202
Joined: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:00
Location: United Federation of Planets

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 10:32

Japan had a big struggle to beat Sri Lanka, winning 12 - 10 in the end.

And Hong Kong 19 - 7 Korea. Final therefore is Hong Kong v Japan.

Afghanistan beat Indonesia 29 - 12 apparently for 9th place.

User avatar
Posts: 4365
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Mon, 10 Sep 2018, 11:23

West Asia Championship for Clubs

Abu Dhabi Harlequins (UAE) v Kandy (SLK) 57-7 :|

Next saturday Bahrain v A.D.Harlequins will be decisive for title, while unfortunately Kandy (Sri Lanka's champion) showed to be way below them

Posts: 146
Joined: Wed, 28 Oct 2015, 04:30
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby nick511 » Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 18:13

I just saw the Day 1 results of the Asian 7s series in HK. Nice to see the Philippines have a good day and beating Korea 12-7 the first time since 2012. I'm still not sure why they weren't at the Asian Games ahead of teams like Afghanistan or Pakistan considering they played at the 2014 games.

I'm not sure the strength of the squads compared to the Asian Games but it looks like HK will romp home again.

User avatar
Posts: 2538
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby 4N » Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 19:50

My guess is Philippines still don’t have enough passport holders to be competitive at the Asian Games. UAE sent an all Emirati side and got wasted.

Posts: 146
Joined: Wed, 28 Oct 2015, 04:30
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby nick511 » Mon, 24 Sep 2018, 08:50

I found a good article about a Sri Lankan school team that has come over to NZ to train with and play local teams in Wellington. They've done well from what I've seen and beaten a lot of local schools - although not the strongest schools in Wellington and most of the best players are in rep teams at the moment plus the school season has finished. They look like they have the right body type for rugby especially the forwards which is unusual for Asia.

Inthi Marikar the former coach of the Sri Lankan national team brought them out. I don't know if the SLRFU want to get regular trips out here or not.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/s ... by-culture

Posts: 4975
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby victorsra » Sat, 20 Oct 2018, 21:34

Totaly unexpected:

It is a known fact that all Armenians in Calcutta are die-hard rugby enthusiasts. But in the 2011 documentary, My Armenian Neighbourhood, owner of Old Kenilworth Hotel and coach of the Armenian College team, David Purdy, tells filmmaker Samimitra Das that Armenia is by no stretch a rugby playing nation. He says, "Before Armenians come to Calcutta, they are not rugby players. They learn it in the Armenian College."


https://www.telegraphindia.com/states/w ... id/1414483
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 4365
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Sun, 09 Dec 2018, 19:22

A bit interesting the fact that Malaysia won the Asia 7s U18. Surely at this age they have not naturalized fijians so this team should show the real strength of local rugby. It's just 7s and just U18, I know, but they won all the matches defeating also HK (31-5) and Korea (47-5)

1 Malaysia 6/6
2 China 4.5/6
3 Hong Kong 4.5/6
4 South Korea 3/6
5 Qatar 2/6
6 Laos 1/6
7 Uzbekistan 0/6

The tournament itself was in Malaysia, I see now. Strange there was not Singapore: Johor Bahru, the venue, is just on the other of the side of the river

Posts: 66
Joined: Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 01:18
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby ShyLockNo5 » Wed, 12 Dec 2018, 10:00

Canalina wrote:A bit interesting the fact that Malaysia won the Asia 7s U18. Surely at this age they have not naturalized fijians so this team should show the real strength of local rugby. It's just 7s and just U18, I know, but they won all the matches defeating also HK (31-5) and Korea (47-5)

1 Malaysia 6/6
2 China 4.5/6
3 Hong Kong 4.5/6
4 South Korea 3/6
5 Qatar 2/6
6 Laos 1/6
7 Uzbekistan 0/6

The tournament itself was in Malaysia, I see now. Strange there was not Singapore: Johor Bahru, the venue, is just on the other of the side of the river


Doesn't surprise me at all. Malaysia have produced many very good 7s teams at school level. They used to send under-16 teams to u-18 regional comps and win comfortably. And there are no Fijians at all in the teams; all locals.
But their inability to progress to senior is an indictment on the Malaysian rugby union. and the fact there is no money at all in the game to sustain any kind of career, even semi-pro.

Posts: 267
Joined: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:12
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 12 Dec 2018, 13:54

Wasn't there a project for a pro League in malaysia ?

Posts: 66
Joined: Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 01:18
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby ShyLockNo5 » Thu, 13 Dec 2018, 01:52

vino_93 wrote:Wasn't there a project for a pro League in malaysia ?


I believe there was but it died off, like a lot of MRU and Malaysian projects.

Posts: 233
Joined: Sun, 10 Apr 2016, 03:59
National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Osmanperalta » Sun, 16 Dec 2018, 00:55

Malaysia now is looking to have a team in the Global Rapid Rugby competition
https://www.facebook.com/MalaysiaRugbyUnion/photos/a.10152229405108748/10156914351153748/?type=3&theater

Posts: 66
Joined: Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 01:18
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby ShyLockNo5 » Mon, 17 Dec 2018, 07:06

Osmanperalta wrote:Malaysia now is looking to have a team in the Global Rapid Rugby competition
https://www.facebook.com/MalaysiaRugbyUnion/photos/a.10152229405108748/10156914351153748/?type=3&theater


That's good news. I hope it comes to fruition

User avatar
Posts: 4365
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Fri, 04 Jan 2019, 19:08

We know the dates of the European Championship and of the Africa Cup but still nothing about RAN, SAR, Asia and Oceania championships, despite the first three should start in April/May while the african Gold Cup will be played three months after

I'm checking every some days https://www.asiarugby.com but still nothing in the calendar section

Same for https://rugbyamericasnorth.com and http://www.sudamericarugby.org, while the Oceania Cup should be played in summer and probably it will be the last one to publish the fixtures

Posts: 4975
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby victorsra » Fri, 04 Jan 2019, 23:35

Chile Rugby revealed the South American Championship dates before Sudamérica Rugby: https://www.chilerugby.org/wp-content/u ... c.jaz_.pdf It is 11-25 May.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 4365
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 12:42

While searching news about the ranking penalization of Indonesia and Papua Guinea (why just them?) I found semi-hidden in the website the Asia 2019 Calendar

https://www.asiarugby.com/asia-rugby-calendar-2019/

ARC: Hong Kong, South Korea, Malaysia

Div I: Singapore, Philippines, Taiwan, Sri Lanka

Div II: Arab Emirates, Kazakhstan, Thailand, Guam

Div III
West: Lebanon, Qatar, Iran, Jordan
Central: Pakistan, Uzbekistan
South-East: China, India, Indonesia (total 2.9 billions inhabitants!)
East: Laos, Brunei, Mongolia

Posts: 4975
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby victorsra » Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 12:51

They saved Sri Lanka from relegation?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 847
Joined: Mon, 12 Jan 2015, 09:13
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 13:54

Canalina wrote:While searching news about the ranking penalization of Indonesia and Papua Guinea (why just them?) I found semi-hidden in the website the Asia 2019 Calendar

https://www.asiarugby.com/asia-rugby-calendar-2019/

ARC: Hong Kong, South Korea, Malaysia

Div I: Singapore, Philippines, Taiwan, Sri Lanka

Div II: Arab Emirates, Kazakhstan, Thailand, Guam

Div III
West: Lebanon, Qatar, Iran, Jordan
Central: Pakistan, Uzbekistan
South-East: China, India, Indonesia (total 2.9 billions inhabitants!)
East: Laos, Brunei, Mongolia



Very good, is this the busiest that Division III has been?

It still amazes me, that while the championship can sustain a double round robin, they still insist on doing Semi Final - Final formats for groups with four teams. I'm sure they managed round robins for Division I last year. Would it be impossible to find one extra match day to compete? I will moan about this every single year.

Even Rugby Africa have managed to get all teams in each group playing eachother...

Posts: 4975
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby victorsra » Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 14:11

Isn't it better to place Iran in the central group and make all groups of 3?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 4365
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 16:24

The Lahore stadium which will host the double duel between Pakistan and Uzbekistan is named after Mohammad Gheddafi. Quite a debatable choice :?

Posts: 847
Joined: Mon, 12 Jan 2015, 09:13
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 16:35

victorsra wrote:Isn't it better to place Iran in the central group and make all groups of 3?

I was also going to mention this, but Div I and II would still maintain semi finals and finals then.

Posts: 66
Joined: Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 01:18
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby ShyLockNo5 » Wed, 09 Jan 2019, 09:09

victorsra wrote:Isn't it better to place Iran in the central group and make all groups of 3?


The Asian rugby unions have always been an almighty shambles.

Posts: 66
Joined: Tue, 13 Nov 2018, 01:18
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby ShyLockNo5 » Wed, 09 Jan 2019, 09:10

dwpeate wrote:
Canalina wrote:While searching news about the ranking penalization of Indonesia and Papua Guinea (why just them?) I found semi-hidden in the website the Asia 2019 Calendar

https://www.asiarugby.com/asia-rugby-calendar-2019/

ARC: Hong Kong, South Korea, Malaysia

Div I: Singapore, Philippines, Taiwan, Sri Lanka

Div II: Arab Emirates, Kazakhstan, Thailand, Guam

Div III
West: Lebanon, Qatar, Iran, Jordan
Central: Pakistan, Uzbekistan
South-East: China, India, Indonesia (total 2.9 billions inhabitants!)
East: Laos, Brunei, Mongolia



Very good, is this the busiest that Division III has been?

It still amazes me, that while the championship can sustain a double round robin, they still insist on doing Semi Final - Final formats for groups with four teams. I'm sure they managed round robins for Division I last year. Would it be impossible to find one extra match day to compete? I will moan about this every single year.

Even Rugby Africa have managed to get all teams in each group playing eachother...

Totally agree. It's like they don't really want to play any games if they can help it.

Posts: 255
Joined: Sun, 21 May 2017, 09:02
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby rey200 » Wed, 09 Jan 2019, 10:29

Africa is changing their format all the time, but Asia has to be the place where noone knows which rules apply for promotion and relegation.

Don't play any game in a year? Screw that, just keep your position, like nothing happened.
Div III promotion? A deserving team surely can be promoted (or not).
4 team cup based Div I+II? At least every team plays twice. Well if they turn up. If not, repeat from the first point.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests