Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

A Pro12 Expansion

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: A Pro12 Expansion

Postby Figaro » Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 07:39

Working Class Rugger wrote:Thing is. The SARU has always participated in the SR with one eye looking toward the NH. I've said in other conversations that if the Pro12 were open to it and the SA franchises could work out a deal that suits them that these two franchises would more than likely be just the initial shift up north. In fact, if the Pro 12 were to be open and willing to deal there is a real chance we'd see the SA franchise make the jump as a block.

Then it should be that or nothing. The Pro12 should never countenance taking on the second choice teams on their own.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 07:57

Figaro wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:Thing is. The SARU has always participated in the SR with one eye looking toward the NH. I've said in other conversations that if the Pro12 were open to it and the SA franchises could work out a deal that suits them that these two franchises would more than likely be just the initial shift up north. In fact, if the Pro 12 were to be open and willing to deal there is a real chance we'd see the SA franchise make the jump as a block.

Then it should be that or nothing. The Pro12 should never countenance taking on the second choice teams on their own.

Not only do I agree with that but I actually wouldn't mind it. It would force the ARU and NZRU (the NZRU in particular) to look to actually cater the competition to better fit with our local market. One that has proven itself to be very lucrative for sporting organisation that tailor their competition to it.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 09:55

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Figaro wrote:

Not only do I agree with that but I actually wouldn't mind it. It would force the ARU and NZRU (the NZRU in particular) to look to actually cater the competition to better fit with our local market. One that has proven itself to be very lucrative for sporting organisation that tailor their competition to it.

I think one of the main reasons SARU contemplated aborting ship and going to the NH is because of the time zones. I stand being corrected on this, but the
SR games played in AUS and NZ reach SA audiences very early in the morning, Mostly between 5 and 9a.m, hence most SA folk have to struggle to wake up early to catch a game.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 10:18

SA have roughly the same time zone as us in Ireland. Here NZ teams' matches are usually finished by 10am. Australian teams' matches by 12am and South African teams playing at home play during our afternoon. SA is an hour or two ahead of us so for them those times will be even earlier.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Higgik » Sat, 22 Apr 2017, 07:17

I know that the AP teams don't want it, but what about combining the 10 Celtic teams with AP teams and 6 Championship teams to make a 28 teams B&I Championship, using an NFL style season structure.

My league would be
Celtic Conference
Eire Division
Connacht.
Leinster.
London Irish.
Munster.
Ulster.

Cymru Division
Capital Blues
Glamorgan Ospreys
Gwent Steelers (new name for Dragons)
London Welsh (sure would get new owner if this proposal was running)
RGC (move Scarlets to bigger catchment)

Alba Division
Caledonia (new team based in Aberdeen or Dundee)
Edinburgh
Glasgow
London Scottish

Anglo Division
North. West. South
Newcastle Exeter. Wasps
Yorkshire. Bristol. Northampton
Doncaster. Bath. Leicester
Sale. Gloucester. Saracens
Worcester. Harlequins

Play a 16 game season, (6 fewer than current) over 17 weeks
Division winners plus 3 more from each conference into a 4 match play off, concluding in a Super Final between Celtic team and Anglo team.

This structure could perhaps become stronger than Euro Comps.

It also has the opportunity for future expansion and the moving of teams, just like a franchise system.
Think Cornish Pirates could be added to Celtic Conference and Nottingham to Anglo Conference.

The main obstacle would be central revenue sharing, where all teams share revenues with each other and there being a jar salary cap, so that smaller teams like Connacht, RGC, get fair funding.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum