Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Russian Rugby

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Russian Rugby

Postby STMKY » Sat, 19 May 2018, 14:57

Artemiev has real support at the very top! :thumbup:

- As for the matches of the Russian national team, is there any option that home matches will be held at the new stadiums built for the World Cup?

- It will be exactly so, because the government very actively supports the development of rugby in the country. And it is clear to us that we will be given a significant part of the infrastructure of the World Cup, the one we need, including in the southern regions. This is already largely agreed, it is defined, although not all along the perimeter.

Our task now is to clearly state what and where we want, whether we are ready to exploit these facilities. It's the same expenses, somewhere you have to keep staff, pay communal expenses, keep fields, and somewhere, thanks a lot to the Ministry of Sport and the governor of the Moscow region, as in Monino, they complete the arena at their own expense. But then we must give something to the Moscow region - for example, to make the headquarters of the national teams there, so that the region becomes a bright center for the development of rugby, maybe even No. 1 for such a service and attitude to the sport. At us and the southern base develops, both central, and, of course, Krasnoyarsk. About the Far East there is a conversation and the North-West, the Perm region and other regions - even the Caucasus.

And now we already have the support of the president and the government, so it seems to me that we have very good prospects. And the fact that we are given the infrastructure of the FIFA World Cup is a fantastic combination of circumstances, just cosmic! Tens and hundreds of millions of rubles (millions of euros) we will find, but we will not find capital investments worth billions and tens of billions of rubles (hundreds of millions of euros) that this infrastructure is worth. And the fact that the state will give us these colossal wonderful objects built for the World Cup is the moment of truth. From now on, we must start in a completely new way.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sat, 19 May 2018, 15:10

Seems like very good news, having that infrastructure will be massive, and if he has enough influence to get the Russian Government onside, I doubt that they'll struggle to get the sponsors for the KRL.

National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Postby Gen Santa » Sat, 19 May 2018, 15:38

so, after russian world cup, russia will finally be able to stage proper tests in moscow through a new stadium?

this would be huge, for enc and russia's development in general, as it seems moscow is the largest rugby area in russia... and of course a better market than sochi

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Sat, 19 May 2018, 15:45

Not only in Moscow. There will be a choice of 11 cities with new stadiums with a capacity of 35k and above.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 19 May 2018, 22:53

It’s good to hear some positive rugby news come out of Europe for once.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 20 May 2018, 06:29

There is very little left ! Find 35k spectators!

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Sun, 20 May 2018, 06:35

For new stadiums, this is not a problem. In Volgograd, the match of the Russian Cup final, where two unknown teams played from Kursk and St. Petersburg, came in 40k. But these people will never go to Fili and Slava stadiums. 21 century, people are used to comfort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH9ivdnbYHg

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 20 May 2018, 07:02

Can these World Cup stadiums be used during the Rugby Europe Championship or during the November internationals? Do they have heating in the field? I know climate is an issue for Russia during those months, but it would be good to have some test matches actually in Moscow.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 20 May 2018, 07:06

thatrugbyguy wrote:Can these World Cup stadiums be used during the Rugby Europe Championship or during the November internationals? Do they have heating in the field? I know climate is an issue for Russia during those months, but it would be good to have some test matches actually in Moscow.

At us all large stadiums have heating of field.
The question is whether the Rugby Federation will be able to rent them and whether it will be profitabl.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 20 May 2018, 07:16

They look like good stadiums, so hopefully they can make it work.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 20 May 2018, 07:23

I think that in Russia there are no problems with the infrastructura of rugby, problem is lack of interes on the part of spectators and as a result lack of funds.

The stadiums are excellent, but i prefer the small and cozi "Slava". 8-)

Postby ihateblazers » Sun, 20 May 2018, 07:24

It's a shame theyre not going to install the retractable roof on the VTB arena in Moscow. That would have been perfect size and obviously to deal with the climate.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Sun, 20 May 2018, 07:26

Football clubs in these stadiums play until mid-December, then in February European cups. Heating is not a problem. Sometimes winter the problem is the temperature is -20C. But in November and March you can play almost all these stadiums at normal temperature. In February, only the south of Russia.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Sun, 20 May 2018, 07:35

On the contrary, we do not need to play in Moscow. In Moscow, dozens of top clubs in various sports. People zazhralis high-level sports! You will never gather a full stadium in rugby in Moscow. But in almost any provincial city the match of the Russian national rugby team at the new stadium can be made an event of the year. Want an example? The former name of Volgograd is Stalingrad. Match in March Russia v Germany with the sign "Battle for Stalingrad 2" or "The Germans come Again". There will be a full stadium, the whole of Russia will watch this match on TV!

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 20 May 2018, 07:53

Something tells me calling back old war memories isn't the best way to advertise.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 20 May 2018, 08:09

thatrugbyguy wrote:Something tells me calling back old war memories isn't the best way to advertise.

I think it is actually an excellent idea. Players coming together afterwards remembering the bad past and celebrating a peaceful future. It wouldn't work in Germany, but 100% in Russia or even GB.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Sun, 20 May 2018, 08:15

This is an example. In Georgia, rugby has gained immense popularity at the first stage precisely on the confrontation with Russia. Russia is there as a big enemy for all Georgians. They make 50k on the stadium. In Russia, ordinary people have a great enemy, which was defeated - Nazi Germany and the modern enemy of Anglo-Saxon Empire. Let's use this to popularize rugby.
We see that in the case of Georgia this formula works well. Let's do it in Russia too.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Sun, 20 May 2018, 08:19

In the USSR, too, this formula was used in hockey. Remember the super series of the USSR v Canada. It was a confrontation with the united West.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 20 May 2018, 08:39

I'd prefer rugby not refer to each other as 'enemies'.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Sun, 20 May 2018, 08:50

In Georgia, too, Russian rugby players are not called enemies. But the fans call f/// Russia, Putin, booing the anthem. In Russia no one will boo the German or American anthem. But in society there is an understanding of the geopolitical adversary. Speaking of Germany, modern Germany is perceived almost as an ally, but at the same time the historical 3 Reich is perceived as an enemy. And the Anglo-Saxon Empire of the times of World War II is perceived as a cunning ally, but at the moment is perceived as an enemy.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 20 May 2018, 08:59

thatrugbyguy wrote:Something tells me calling back old war memories isn't the best way to advertise.

Come on)) But what about "Russian are coming" ? :lol:

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 20 May 2018, 09:03

thatrugbyguy wrote:I'd prefer rugby not refer to each other as 'enemies'.

In Eastern Europe slightly differently. Matches Russia - Georgia or Poland - Ukraine will always have a political overtones!

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 20 May 2018, 09:08

Yes ! For example matches Russia - British Lions in Sevastopol!
Or Russia - Barbarians on Kamchatka!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Petropavlovsk

Only need to persuad them to come to us! :D

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Sun, 20 May 2018, 09:11

"Russians are COMIng" in sport is a classic. Good exampeles! :D

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Sun, 20 May 2018, 09:16

Naturalization must be sincere and decent - Artemiev

- By the same scheme, which was naturalized by Anton Rudoy from Kazakhstan, can be naturalized and other rugby players who play in Russian clubs, do you consider this option?

"I'll give you an example." When we were at the World Series stage in Hong Kong, it was just Easter. We found a Russian Orthodox church, and for the first time I saw icons with hieroglyphics. What am I talking about? Naturalization - a thing quite normal, if it is sincere and decent. I completely do not hide that I would be interested to talk with the Russian community in Australia. There after the revolution, after the Second World War and in the Soviet years, there was a huge number of Russian people looking for work and a better life. And it was just recently, there were grandmothers and grandfathers in Russia.

In Australia, everyone is somehow engaged in rugby. Perhaps one of the players of Russian origin, by virtue of different life circumstances, seeks to their homeland, to their roots? Why do not we ask these guys - and you do not want to return to Russia today? I like this kind of naturalization. But when they take islanders, even wonderful and good ones, this is another story. I would also look for in South Africa, where there was always a large Russian community, and in Argentina, the USA, Canada. It is necessary to talk with community leaders, this is a normal correct task.

The same applies to the CIS - we are all former citizens of the USSR, we lived in one country. This is the right approach. But it is necessary that this man was Russian. You can also invite an ethnic Kazakh from Kazakhstan, who plays well, but this is not the story, I do not really want it. Yes, we even have Afro-Russians in our team - nothing terrible, no racism, no in rugby at all. But this player is Afro-RUSSIAN, and it would be surprising to invite a pure African or an islander. Although I do not rule out such options.

- Will there be some department in the federation that will deal with this issue?

- No, it is not necessary to produce departments. There will be a specific person who will do this. We do not encroach on anything, but if there are people who need a life force to return to their historical homeland, and they do not have the money to do this, but they play well, why not help them return to their roots?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum