Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

World Rankings

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: World Rankings

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 18 Dec 2018, 09:37

Maybe qualifiers are included? I have no clue.

I accept that ranking is flawed, but I'd love to see World Rugby reward nations who show up high in that list instead of neglecting it.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Thu, 10 Jan 2019, 15:38

Canalina wrote:If I remember correctly, in two different years World Rugby deduced six points to several nations "guilty" to have not played for the previous 12 months. The last time this happened was, I hope no not be wrong, at the end of 2016, while I think that at the end of 2017 there were no deductions (for some hardly arguably reason). Let's see if some sanction will be taken at the end of this year; there are several nations which haven't played a test match in 2018, included the quite blazoned Sri Lanka and PNGuinea.

Hey Canalina, did you check the rankings?
Apparently only Indonesia and Papua New Guinea have a deduction of 6 points this year.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 10 Jan 2019, 17:04

Yes, and I didn't understand the logic upon that decision. Why just them? Why all the other nations not playing in 2018 have been forgiven?
Moreover, it seems there are no news at all about that penalization: World Rugby doesn't explain it and even the indonesian and papuaguinean federations or sport journalists don't talk about. We are the only ones in the world which took note of it...

To note also that in 2018 there were not new WR members or associated members. In all the ten previous years, apart 2011, there was always at least one new membership but no one in the year just ended. The last entry (#105) was Costa Rica on december 2017.
It surprises me a bit that Iran is still not awarded with a full membership: they seem having a relatively good movement, with even a (little) women's XV championship, and they play in Asia Championship every year.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 11 Jan 2019, 08:14

Canalina wrote:Yes, and I didn't understand the logic upon that decision. Why just them? Why all the other nations not playing in 2018 have been forgiven?

Could it be, that those punished haven't as well played in 2017? Before I start researching, do you recall also making this kind of list last year?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 11 Jan 2019, 11:16

Yes, you are right, from a rapid search both PNG and Indonesia didn't play also in 2017. They forfeited in the respective continental championship and I doubt they played test matches outside those competitions.
Unfortunately www.rugbyinternational.net single nation records are updated just to 2016 so I can't check properly.
Anyway not just PNG and INA but all the minor Oceania nations (apart Tahiti and Cook) didn't play in 2017, so the penalization should have hit them too.
An explanation could be the fact that PNG and INA was supposed to play in Oceania Cup and Asia Championship but renounced at the "last second", while nations like Vanuatu, Solomon or American Samoa never asked to play in the Oceania Cup 2017.
So maybe PNGuinea and Indonesia were sort of sin-binned because of that late renounce and the fact to have not played in 2018 brought them to a "red card".
This year it will be again time of Oceania Cup (it's biennial): let's see how many of these little ranked nations will take part.

A curiosity: despite being neighbors, Indonesia and Papua Guinea never played a test match together. Indonesia never played outside Asia.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 27 Feb 2019, 08:55

I've just been looking at the example of how to work out rankings changes on the website, I can't work out where they got all the figures of 0.64, 0.36 etc or understand the diagram for that matter! Haha

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum