Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

World Rankings

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Re: World Rankings

Postby Sables4EVA » Fri, 16 Dec 2016, 07:35

Neptune wrote:
Sables4EVA wrote:
Rowan wrote:Well, the year Tunisia were denied direct qualification on aggregate after a drawn series with Namibia was the same year they went to the repechages instead and got smashed by Romania. So they really weren't up to the task anyway. Similarly, I don't recall that Chile really got that close either, despite a shock home-win over the US. It came down to their last game, in the US, where they were decisively beaten and thus consigned to the bottom of the table. I would say that Morocco's narrow defeat to Uruguay on aggregate in the 1999 repechage was a much closer call, and perhaps they are the most unlucky nation so far not to have qualified for the World Cup.

I would say Zimbabwe being one bad decision away from the World Cup (going for posts instead of the bonus point try against Kenya) is the winner of the unluckiest title.

Sables4EVA i can totally relate to your frustration. The same happened to Kenya. We had defeated Namibia and Madagascar, only to loose to Zim. You guys had us on the backfoot. To be honest , any good team should be able to play above the referee's decisions, even if he/she becomes biased, but if you look at that game closely, all the 50/50 calls went to Zim, and to add salt to injury, the referee of that game Lourens Van der Merwe had been previously banned from Super Rugby for contentious calls. Anyway, that aside, we are now focusing on Japan RWC, and hopefully we get to host the qualifiers in Nairobi. Looking at the current state of affairs we defeated the Sables in Harare 61 - 15, which mark you we all know how Harare and Windhoek are tough venues. But the year 2016 was good for us, as we won 6 of the 7 tests, only loosing to the Welschwistas. Anyway, all the best to all African teams as the fight for that sole slot, but rest assured the Simba XVs will come fighting hard. Personally, ill be proud if another African nation apart from Namibia go for the world cup. It will be good news to my ears.

Yes I remember that game, I was expecting us to be soundly beaten by the Simbas and was pleasantly surprised with how the game went, it was a good contest despite the questionable refereeing. We came down to earth though with that final bonus point not coming our way. Concerning the result in Harare, you guys deserved every point you got, the Sables played a terrible game and the Simbas were the better prepared and focused team. We were all rooting for you against the Namibian team. Hopefully we can finally knock Namibia off their pedestal and another team from Africa will qualify for 2019.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Fri, 16 Dec 2016, 09:59

Sables4EVA wrote:
Neptune wrote:
Sables4EVA wrote:
Rowan wrote:Well, the year Tunisia were denied direct qualification on aggregate after a drawn series with Namibia was the same year they went to the repechages instead and got smashed by Romania. So they really weren't up to the task anyway. Similarly, I don't recall that Chile really got that close either, despite a shock home-win over the US. It came down to their last game, in the US, where they were decisively beaten and thus consigned to the bottom of the table. I would say that Morocco's narrow defeat to Uruguay on aggregate in the 1999 repechage was a much closer call, and perhaps they are the most unlucky nation so far not to have qualified for the World Cup.

I would say Zimbabwe being one bad decision away from the World Cup (going for posts instead of the bonus point try against Kenya) is the winner of the unluckiest title.

Sables4EVA i can totally relate to your frustration. The same happened to Kenya. We had defeated Namibia and Madagascar, only to loose to Zim. You guys had us on the backfoot. To be honest , any good team should be able to play above the referee's decisions, even if he/she becomes biased, but if you look at that game closely, all the 50/50 calls went to Zim, and to add salt to injury, the referee of that game Lourens Van der Merwe had been previously banned from Super Rugby for contentious calls. Anyway, that aside, we are now focusing on Japan RWC, and hopefully we get to host the qualifiers in Nairobi. Looking at the current state of affairs we defeated the Sables in Harare 61 - 15, which mark you we all know how Harare and Windhoek are tough venues. But the year 2016 was good for us, as we won 6 of the 7 tests, only loosing to the Welschwistas. Anyway, all the best to all African teams as the fight for that sole slot, but rest assured the Simba XVs will come fighting hard. Personally, ill be proud if another African nation apart from Namibia go for the world cup. It will be good news to my ears.

Yes I remember that game, I was expecting us to be soundly beaten by the Simbas and was pleasantly surprised with how the game went, it was a good contest despite the questionable refereeing. We came down to earth though with that final bonus point not coming our way. Concerning the result in Harare, you guys deserved every point you got, the Sables played a terrible game and the Simbas were the better prepared and focused team. We were all rooting for you against the Namibian team. Hopefully we can finally knock Namibia off their pedestal and another team from Africa will qualify for 2019.

One thing I know is the Welschwistas fear playing away. A story is often told that Namibia in Windhoek is a totally different team. If rugby afrique could get a neutral venue such as South Africa, i guarantee you Namibia will be scared. The current format of them hosting the winner of 1B really favours them. Anyway, let the best man win, but Namibia should brace themselves for a fight from the Simba XVs. All we are now waiting is for inclusion into the Currie Cup and we will come out firing on all cylinders.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Fri, 16 Dec 2016, 17:36

I look forward to seeing that game.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 18 Dec 2016, 14:59

Buffalo wrote:Canada had a crap year with way too many close loses and we deserved to fall down the rankings as a result. But I would bet everything I have that Canada would beat the Russians home, away or neutral assuming Russia doesn't try to mess with our visas like they did with Romania.

Here's the rosters if you want to compare them but I'm too lazy/don't care enough.

Georgia vs Russia(33-0): http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/upload/file/1 ... E%20RU.PDF

Georgia vs Canada(15-16):
FB 15 Beka Tsiklauri
RW 14 Giorgi Pruidze
OC 13 Merab Sharikadze Substituted off 46'
IC 12 Tamaz Mchedlidze
LW 11 Giorgi Pruidze
FH 10 Lasha Malaghuradze Substituted off 74'
SH 9 Giorgi Begadze Substituted off 57'
N8 8 Lasha Lomidze Substituted off 60'
OF 7 Mamuka Gorgodze (c)
BF 6 Giorgi Tkhilaishvili
RL 5 Levan Datunashvili Substituted off 60'
LL 4 Giorgi Nemsadze
TP 3 Levan Chilachava Substituted off 69'
HK 2 Shalva Mamukashvili Substituted off 52'
LP 1 Kakha Asieshvili Substituted off 57'
Replacements:
HK 16 Jaba Bregvadze Substituted in 52'
PR 17 Mikheil Nariashvili Substituted in 57'
PR 18 Davit Zirakashvili Substituted in 69'
LK 19 Konstantin Mikautadze Substituted in 60'
LK 20 Giorgi Chkhaidze Substituted in 60'
SH 21 Vazha Khutsishvili Substituted in 57'
FH 22 Lasha Khmaladze Substituted in 74'
WG 23 Davit Kacharava Substituted in 46'

Romania vs Russia(13-16): http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/upload/file/1 ... 0sheet.PDF

Romania vs Canada(17-15):
FB 15 Cătălin Fercu Temporarily suspended from 20' to 30' 20' to 30'
RW 14 Mădălin Lemnaru
OC 13 Paula Kinikinilau
IC 12 Florin Vlaicu
LW 11 Ionuț Botezatu
FH 10 Michael Wiringi Substituted off 52'
SH 9 Florin Surugiu Substituted off 23'
N8 8 Mihai Macovei (c)
OF 7 Viorel Lucaci Substituted off 77'
BF 6 Valentin Ursache
RL 5 Johannes van Heerden
LL 4 Valentin Popîrlan
TP 3 Ion Paulică Substituted off 46'
HK 2 Otar Turashvili Substituted off 66'
LP 1 Mihai Lazăr Substituted off 75'
Replacements:
HK 16 Andrei Rădoi Substituted in 66'
PR 17 Andrei Ursache Substituted in 46'
PR 18 Alexandru Țăruș Substituted in 75'
N8 19 Daniel Carpo Substituted in 77'
FL 20 Stelian Burcea
SH 21 Valentin Calafeteanu Substituted in 23'
WG 22 Adrian Apostol
CE 23 Csaba Gál Substituted in 52'

Kenya had earlier in the year asked for a test against Canada in Nairobi, what happened?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 17:14

Just for the notes, these are the weeks at the bottom of the world ranking. Next monday the american Samoa should join Bosnia in second (well, penultimate) position

Finland 438
Bosnia Herz. 116
American Samoa 115
Greece 33

women
Czech Rep. 65

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby toulousain » Mon, 01 May 2017, 18:32

I think World Rugby forgot the African games of the week in their new rankings.
Zambia, Mauritius and Rwanda ranking points didn't change.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Mon, 01 May 2017, 19:48

toulousain wrote:I think World Rugby forgot the African games of the week in their new rankings.

I think you're right. There was no mention of them in the weekly update. And I don't think I saw them in the fixtures area on the front page of the WR website either. That might be the fault of the regional confederation and participating unions for not passing on the info.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Wed, 03 May 2017, 15:15

With all due respect, if a couple of random amateur rugby enthusiasts can keep track of all international matches in their spare time, surely the world governing body of rugby should manage? In 2017, there really isn't any excuse for official bodies. It's not as if it is Division 5 results from Ethiopia played on scrubland - it's international matches between their member unions...
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 03 May 2017, 16:23

mcruic wrote:With all due respect, if a couple of random amateur rugby enthusiasts can keep track of all international matches in their spare time, surely the world governing body of rugby should manage? In 2017, there really isn't any excuse for official bodies. It's not as if it is Division 5 results from Ethiopia played on scrubland - it's international matches between their member unions...

This is blatant negligence by WR and is unnaceptable.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 03 May 2017, 21:46

Neptune wrote:
mcruic wrote:With all due respect, if a couple of random amateur rugby enthusiasts can keep track of all international matches in their spare time, surely the world governing body of rugby should manage? In 2017, there really isn't any excuse for official bodies. It's not as if it is Division 5 results from Ethiopia played on scrubland - it's international matches between their member unions...

This is blatant negligence by WR and is unnaceptable.

But not by World Rugby. It is by the respective continental and national unions. It is one thing to keep track as an amateur but when you keep track as the official worldwide union, your results have to be verified. And it is not World Rugby's fault if they are not provided to them.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby toulousain » Tue, 09 May 2017, 08:26

toulousain wrote:I think World Rugby forgot the African games of the week in their new rankings.

This has been corrected. Discretely...

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 12:24

Ghana need to be the 104th team in the rankings, after they became a full member of WR.

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2017/05/2 ... rld-rugby/

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum