Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

World Rankings

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

World Rankings

Postby paratus » Mon, 09 Feb 2015, 16:17

Did I miss something?

It seems that all teams that didn't play a match in 2014 have had their ranking score halved on the World Rugby site.

Seems pretty harsh to me. Did World Rugby do a release on this?

(94)
MOROCCO 25.59
(95)
PAPUA NEW GUINEA 22.63
(96)
NIUE ISLAND 20.22
(97)
SOLOMON ISLANDS 20.18
(98)
CAMEROON 19.16
(99)
TAHITI 17.69
(100)
MONACO 17.59
(101)
VANUATU 16.73
(102)
AMERICAN SAMOA 15.00

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: World Rankings

Postby paratus » Mon, 09 Feb 2015, 16:42

The more i think about it the more fucking stupid I think this is

Yes, consider the team dormant but how are teams like PNG now able to realistically climb back up the rankings? As it is they were in my opinion ranked too low any way and in terms of their level should have been around the 30-something mark but never ever get a chance of playing a team ranked higher other than Cook Islands and on the odd occasion when they play Ton, Sam, Fij in RWC qualifiers they have no chance whatsoever of winning. World Rugby rankings explanations still state:

Q. What happens if a country does not play for a number of years?

Their rating may be deemed to be 'dormant', in which case they will be removed from current ranking lists. However, when they are active again they will pick up their rating from where they left off.

But moreover bearing in mind that "World Rugby World Rankings are calculated using a 'Points Exchange' system, in which sides take points off each other based on the match result. Whatever one side gains, the other loses", the whole of Tier 3 Oceania had been penalised - even though the Cook Islands played in 2014 they now have virtually no chance of gaining any extra points ever again as their nearest opponents in the conference are so far below them and they are not ever likely to win against the Tier 2 teams.

WTF is WR doing?

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Tue, 10 Feb 2015, 14:46

Considering this is a XVs ranking, and American Samoa has never played a XVs match (apart from some matches in the South Pacific Games way back in 1991), why are American Samoa even on the ranking at all?
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby paratus » Tue, 10 Feb 2015, 16:04

A team is automatically given a ranking of 30 (previously 40) when they become full WR members

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Tue, 10 Feb 2015, 22:07

Ah. That seems a bit pointless. It means that a team, despite not having played yet, will enter the ranking above other teams who have played previously. The whole point of any ranking is to measure team performance based on results, not to guess where a team should go based on absolutely nothing.
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby rampage » Wed, 11 Feb 2015, 02:36

Why do the halve the teams rankings, when the fault, especially with PNG and Niue, lies with FORU for not having an annual competition.

Not all countries can host/travel to bilateral series. WR once again proving to be rather daft.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby jonny24 » Wed, 11 Feb 2015, 03:55

Does a ranking number even matter if you're not even getting in a match every year?
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby paratus » Wed, 11 Feb 2015, 08:58

rampage wrote:Why do the halve the teams rankings, when the fault, especially with PNG and Niue, lies with FORU for not having an annual competition.

Not all countries can host/travel to bilateral series. WR once again proving to be rather daft.

My point exactly - the whole regions are being penalised. If Cook Islands were to play a match against PNG and win this year they now would not be able to increase their ranking - I think some arsehole at WR has made a decision on the rankings without thinking it through

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Wed, 18 Feb 2015, 20:46

If Georgia win in Spain and Italy lose in Scotland, Georgia will be above Italy in World Rankings

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Wed, 18 Feb 2015, 21:11

beber wrote:If Georgia win in Spain and Italy lose in Scotland, Georgia will be above Italy in World Rankings

Yes, and something tells me that in 6N they also know it. Wouldn't be surprised if Italy beats Scotland. Honestly I don`t care about Italy result. I just want Georgia to win in Spain, bonus or no bonus.

Postby 4N » Wed, 18 Feb 2015, 21:15

Vern Cotter looks to have noticeably improved the Scots fwiw. They are a bit unlucky not to be 2-0, much more competitive thus far. Will be surprised if Italy run them close at Murrayfield.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Horsehead » Wed, 18 Feb 2015, 21:29

GeoRugby wrote:
beber wrote:If Georgia win in Spain and Italy lose in Scotland, Georgia will be above Italy in World Rankings

Yes, and something tells me that in 6N they also know it. Wouldn't be surprised if Italy beats Scotland. Honestly I don`t care about Italy result. I just want Georgia to win in Spain, bonus or no bonus.

Wow really? I usually cheer Italy on but for once I will be cheering on Scotland. Come on Georgia, I'd love it if they get above Italy in the rankings, more fuel to the fire

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Thu, 19 Feb 2015, 01:15

I think Scotland will have this one covered. I hope it starts some discussions upstairs...

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Thu, 19 Feb 2015, 05:17

The World Rankings don't mean anything to most people outside the top 10 but in this case it would be to our advantage. If they say the rankings are not indicative of the true state of rugby then why do we have them and if they take them seriously then they will have to have a match between Italy and Georgia to settle the difference. Either way those of us advocating more T2 acceptance win.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Thu, 26 Feb 2015, 09:28

One of the main roles of rankings is that of a talking point for media and fans. It creates interest out of nothing, really. We are living proof of that with our discussion here. This week I read an article from the Federacion Mexicana de Rugby which was about nothing more than their current place on the world rankings. In this context they certainly do no harm. But are they fair? That's another matter. And the problem arises when controversial rankings become the basis of a lazy or tight-fisted international sports organization's designation of fixtures and the crucial home advantage...
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby JTV84 » Thu, 26 Feb 2015, 09:54

maybe th ranking could be more reliable if there are intercontinental matches between nations below the 25th place. If there's not a wideopen calendar, where any nation plays against at least one union of the other 4 confederations, it's a meaningless data.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Fri, 27 Feb 2015, 13:22

Here is the link to World Rugby preview of rankings for this weekend. I usually don`t pay too much attention to rankings but there s no mention of Georgia`s potential move ahead of Italy. Instead they concentrate on Romania swapping places with Georgia if they beat Russia and Georgia lose to Spain. isn`t it strange that World rugby doesn't mention anything about Georgia potentially moving ahead of Italy? Something is getting ready to go down tomorrow. Objectively Romania is stronger than Russia and Italy is too weak for Scotland at this moment. The only way therefore to prevent Georgia moving ahead of Italy is to make sure that Georgia loses in Spain. Georgia better watch out tomorrow and be ready for anything.

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/58475

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Stef » Fri, 27 Feb 2015, 15:03

GeoRugby wrote:Here is the link to World Rugby preview of rankings for this weekend. I usually don`t pay too much attention to rankings but there s no mention of Georgia`s potential move ahead of Italy. Instead they concentrate on Romania swapping places with Georgia if they beat Russia and Georgia lose to Spain. isn`t it strange that World rugby doesn't mention anything about Georgia potentially moving ahead of Italy? Something is getting ready to go down tomorrow. Objectively Romania is stronger than Russia and Italy is too weak for Scotland at this moment. The only way therefore to prevent Georgia moving ahead of Italy is to make sure that Georgia loses in Spain. Georgia better watch out tomorrow and be ready for anything.

I had the same feeling when I read the article. No mention about the fact that a team outside the 6N could overcome Italy in the rankings. Even if Georgia will obtain the 14th position in the rankings, I'm sure that on Monday, there will be only a short sentence about the achievement of Georgia.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby marino » Fri, 27 Feb 2015, 15:06

GeoRugby wrote:Here is the link to World Rugby preview of rankings for this weekend. I usually don`t pay too much attention to rankings but there s no mention of Georgia`s potential move ahead of Italy. Instead they concentrate on Romania swapping places with Georgia if they beat Russia and Georgia lose to Spain. isn`t it strange that World rugby doesn't mention anything about Georgia potentially moving ahead of Italy? Something is getting ready to go down tomorrow. Objectively Romania is stronger than Russia and Italy is too weak for Scotland at this moment. The only way therefore to prevent Georgia moving ahead of Italy is to make sure that Georgia loses in Spain. Georgia better watch out tomorrow and be ready for anything.

It could be that tomorrow Spain plays better than Georgia and win because of their effort, and not because something strange happens.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 27 Feb 2015, 15:09

Yes they are very quiet about a possible Georgian win. I am sure it is not a conspiracy though. :roll:

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Fri, 27 Feb 2015, 15:19

I am sure it is not a conspiracy thoug

Of course not. It's just a strange coincidence as always, right?

It could be that tomorrow Spain plays better than Georgia and win because of their effort, and not because something strange happens.

I guess we'll see tomorrow.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Fri, 27 Feb 2015, 16:28

The emphasis from the media is always on the Home Unions and their efforts to overtake the SANZAR nations. That's understandable, particularly from the British press, but it does get a bit tiresome when we've been hearing the same 'closing the gap' and 'turning the tables' delusions since long before the rankings were even dreamt of. World Rugby, at least, ought to be concentrating more on tier 2 teams challenging the tier 1 brigade, and third tier teams overtaking their second tier counterparts. That's where the interest lies for anyone following the development of international rugby; not whether one or two of the Home Unions can break the SANZAR stranglehold at the top on the basis of the odd win in the Autumn series.'

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Wendigo7 » Sat, 28 Feb 2015, 20:27

You sound very bitter towards the British/French/Italians Rowan.

It's unhealthy.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sat, 28 Feb 2015, 20:35

No, it's called constructive criticism, because I also pointed out how they might be able to improve in this respect. I certainly am in a position to analyse the press, as I was once involved in the industry. I think it's unhealthy to ignore such a problem, and additionally futile to take a shoot-the-messenger approach toward those who do address the issue.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sun, 01 Mar 2015, 02:12

GeoRugby wrote:

Scary. Im sure the ref didn't read your post though.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum